When did you realize that lyrics is the most important part of music?

When did you realize that lyrics is the most important part of music?

i think it depends on the genre

I always found it ironic. I thought that this board would place lyricism at a high priority when considering the artistic value of a musical piece, akin to famous YouTuber ADoseofBuckley, who's well-known for analyzing and dissecting lyrical compositions. Considering how like him and his followers, this board has quite a disdain for popular music, I assumed that the lyricism was the main reason for their hatred, along with its simplistic musical composition. Not only that, but quite a majority of Sup Forums-core albums, in fact, even the most critically acclaimed albums in general, were largely praised due to their lyricism and messages conveyed in such albums. Was such a sentiment too preposterous to believe, as threads made in this board have often criticized others for placing lyrics in such a high priority, even so much as demeaning them as a plebeian?

INB4 Reddit.

But there's no lyrics in music you dummy

Depends on the genre. In folk it's everything. In shoegaze it hardly matters at all.

Most users here are 18 or under and think patrician means listening exclusively to pretentious, soulless classical. Or jazz.
Most times don't have lyrics, so they think lyrics are just things that girls who won't date them sing in their car.

wtf I hate sonatas now. Worst music ever created.
This is the worst post I've seen here in three minutes, congratulations.

Music is all about emotion. Obviously the human voice is very easy to hear emotion in, so lyrics end up being interesting a lot of the time. But to say jazz and classical are entirely absent of soul is a bit of a stretch. Instruments, especially ones like guitar and sax (or entire orchestras) can really tell a story to the listener.

Retard

>the non-musical aspect of music is the most important part of music
really made me think

What was the second worst?

>soulless classical

It's a yikes for me dawg

how is writing an instrumental piece and playing it on an instrument any more musical than writing a vocal piece and playing it with your voice

Nice goalpost shifting

It's not. But the words aren't what make the vocal piece musical. Surely this isn't that hard to understand

Most of the music I listen to is instrumental, tho

if the singer doesn't have a good voice I don't listen to it

lyrics only matter to plebs

The OP.

nice buzzword. He is proving that vocals are musical in themselves, dumbass. The human voice is no less of an instrument than a guitar.

lyrics aren't music. fuck off.

No, but the vocal performance of the lyrics is.

>nice buzzword
Nice buzzword
>He is proving that vocals are musical in themselves
Which is not what OP said, which is why the goalposts are being moved

Please keep up

>The human voice is no less of an instrument than a guitar.
Do you think monotone speaking is music?

I care more about sound craft instead of words.

Monotone speaking can be music.

[citation needed]

Do you think a 0-0-0-0 guitar riff is music? Actually I don't car what you think, it is. A fucking snare just by itself is music. Yes monotone speaking can be music you fuckwit.

The definition of "music" and "speaking." The adjective "monotone" isn't worth including, because speaking in any form is music.

Hot take. Big if true.

Hey look, someone who isn't a fucking fool ITT.

>0-0-0-0 guitar riff is music?
It is literally organized tones, so yes
>A fucking snare just by itself is music
No, it's rhythm
>The definition of "music" and "speaking."
[citation needed]

You're a fucking moron dude. This is embarrassing.

How is rhythm not music?

What about instrumental music?

it's definently not. maybe you've never been emotionally moved by a classical or jazz piece.
this guy knows what's up.

if lyrics are so important, you might as well be reading literature instead of listening to whatever garbage you listen to. lyrics are just a tool to convey an emotion, just like every other component of music. harmony is the most important component of music, prove me wrong.

Show me where OP said "rhythm"

What?

Did you read the thread?

I've only ever found lyrics enjoyable as a sonic complement. The exact meaning of songs has never really struck me emotionally as much as the notes themselves, the lyrics nearly always come off to me as disingenuous and melodramatic. I still enjoy vocals as much as instrumentals but for me it's about how the words sound, not what they mean. Whatever meaning lyrics provide is often better done in books or poetry.
Bad lyrics still ruin music for me though.

Is that the guy from Life Aquatic?

joy division

Just shut the fuck up you autistic loser. You can't hold a normal conversation to save yourself, that's why no one understands what the fuck you're on about.

>I can't follow a conversation
>for some reason that's the other guys' fault!
kek

Do I need to spell it out for you?

Jesus fucking Christ you're an annoying cunt. You implied that rhythm wasn't music. Another bloke asked how rhythm isn't music, and you had some fucking autistic episode.

Nice misdirection

I disagree

lyrics aren't important, the ability of the artists to evoke emotion is what's important

But user, the most important part of music is analogue noise. I hate it when the try to edit out the tape hiss from an old track. Give me more tape hiss and edit out the notes is what I say.

The instruments guide your emotions and add color. The vocals guide you. This holds up for every genre. Instrumental music is either for people who refuse to invest or resist any interpretation that isn't their own