Dumbledore didn't notice Voldemort was on the back of Quirrell's head

>Dumbledore didn't notice Voldemort was on the back of Quirrell's head
>Dumbledore didn't know what the fuck a basilisk was
>Dumbledore didn't know one of his professors was chugging down Polyjuice potion every hour

Is Dumbledore the most incompetent "wise" mentor figure in the history of film and literature?

inb4 dullest franchise guy

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/6284207/1/The-Boy-Who-died
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did Dumbledore do anything of worth in the whole series?

>Gives vague warning about "the third floor" instead of saying "there's a fucking giant monster there that will murder you so stay away"
>School is so badly designed you can end up there unintentionally anyway

But did bellenddoor know that he was in one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Why didn't any death eater or whoever bad guy just visit Harry during his time at the Dursleys and shoot him with a pistol?

He also allowed a madman to wreak havoc in the muggle world and kill millions of people simply because he was getting dicked by him. Dumbledore was fucking garbage.

It's a series about Harry Potter, he needs to be the one who solves the problems.

But story-wise, the books are told from the perspective of kids that don't know what Dumbledore is doing most of the time; he's not present during most of the action in the books. And Dumbledore is always framed as a person that knows what's going on. I always figured he had his suspicions about those things and wasn't acting on them because he didn't have real proof (and was always busy with other shit running a school). So, instead of rushing into a situation without knowing anything about it, like Harry and his friends, he was paying attention to what was going on and waiting until he was able to identify the problem and what to do about it. There are also tons of hints in a few of the books that he did know what was going on and wasn't doing anything about it because no one was in danger and he wanted to see what certain actions were leading to.

>1984 higher than brave new world
what a shit list

>dumbledore touches a horcrux with his bare hand and kills himself

literally retarded

Maybe it's like the prequels and the big bad was secretly clouding everyone's judgement.

That's a valid explanation for all our protagonists acting like retards rite.

He was hidden away, nobody knew where he was except for Dumbledore.

pretty much the only intentional character flaw of dumbledor was his obsession over his dead sister, which is what really killed him. Made sense to me

How could he possibly know? You don't just go around as headmaster checking under people's turbans for no reason.

There were absolutely no indications whatsoever that he was evil

>guy wears a turban
>no indication that he's evil

>character is dumb
>name him Dumbledore
BRAVO JK ABRAHAMS
B
R
A
V
O

Nobody who wears a turban could be an evil person

HOWEVER

Is the elder wand only working for the person who earned it the biggest asspull in history?

Dumbledore literally knew everything from beginning to end, its Harry who doesn't let shit go and fucks with dumbledores plans. Its painfully obvious in the fifth book when dumbledore has to directly intervene because Harry sniffed around too much and got in over his head. The plan was for Harry to die remember, not actually fight voldemort and dumbledore gained nothing from telling Harry anything because Harry was supposed to die eventually anyway

The elderwand itself is an asspull as is the entirety of the seventh book. Rowling wrote herself into a hole by the sixth

kek

Yes, she ruined everything

In the books Dumbledore did know about the basilisk and voldemort at the back of Quirrels head it was revealed in Snapes memories.He had Snape spy on Quirrel and knew about the basilisk but was baffled how the chamber was opened since voldemort was gone so spent most of the year trying to figure out how.You are completely correct on the poly juice thing it's still hard to believe mr keikaku couldn't have seen through it

kek

yeah, the hallows come out of nowhere
hermione would at least comment on how harry's cloak is literally impossible to replicate

It seems less like the tests in the first book were there to keep people out and more like they were there to test the students to make sure they were paying enough attention to advance to the next grade.

The worst part about harry potter series is how everything is just so convenient. How many times whilst reading did you say "oh, how convenient"? Probably none since there's no way you read these books as an adult who can decipher lazy writing.

>>Dumbledore didn't know what the fuck a basilisk was

He did know, he just had no clue where it was coming from. It's implied that all the teachers knew, which is why Lockhart was so fucking terrified when McGonagall and Snape basically said "ok, go get it".

>The worst part about harry potter series is how everything is just so convenient. How many times whilst reading did you say "oh, how convenient"?

A lot of movies and books are like that to be fair. In Star Wars, Luke conveniently crash lands right next to Yoda's house. In Lord of the Rings, Frodo needed someone to go with him and the most loyal person in the history of fiction happened to be standing right outside.

Well he's not called Smartledore is he?

Actually Grindlewhatever never reciprocated Dumbledore's feelings. He essentially friendzoned him, but in the sense that he didn't have feelings for him or even had the slightest inkling Dumbledore had feelings for him.

If he didn't want any kids going into the forest and getting eaten by giant spiders why didn't he just put and age line or some other magical shit around it?

Dumbledore was not only incompetent, he was actively making decisions to cripple the competence of others.

At the end of book 1, he gets undeniable confirmation that Voldemort is still alive and making progress towards returning to a corporeal form. At this point, he should know the importance of enabling his students to defend themselves in the dark times ahead.

Between books 1 and 2, he actively browbeats Gilderoy Lockhart into accepting the Defense position, knowing he was a fraud. In fact, Lockhart's incompetence was exactly the reason he was hired.

Good going, Dumbles.

How can we save him, Sup Forums?

fanfiction.net/s/6284207/1/The-Boy-Who-died

Why would he need to? There's no real indication that students sneaking into the forest is a common thing, and it isn't said anywhere that students get hurt in the forest. Plus, doing something like that might have pissed off some of the creatures that lived there.

Kill yourself or go back to tumblr.

All things considered he turned out pretty well off by the end of the story.

>It turns out Salazar Slytherin left a snake in the school for the explicit purpose of murdering children

Why wasn't his name immediately stricken from Hogwarts? It was already obvious enough Slytherin was the evil house, and now this?

Why did Dumbledore hire Lockhart? He wasted a years worth of knowledge on every student right there, and if Ron's wand just didn't happen to backfire at him at the right time god knows what would have happened

Just as a precaution maybe, like when they have to get a permission slip signed to go into Hogsmeade which is a relative safe haven compared to Hogwarts itself. Why would the creatures care about human children not being able to go into the forest?

He wanted an example of what not to do.

No, seriously, that is the canon explanation Rowling came up with to explain that Dumbledore wasn't incompetent, just manipulative.

"Hey, kids, don't be like this guy or you could end up just like him! Rich, famous, handsome, beloved by many and absolutely drowning in all the pussy getting thrown at him all day e'rry day."

I won't deny that these books/movies are without inconsistency, but this is a pretty bad attempt.

Rowling made it very clear in the last book/movie that Dumbledore was betting on the long game and (as sad as it is to think) thought of living things as expendable as long as it took out Voldemort in the end. Whatever reason he had, after Voldemorts' first rise to power he knew he had slipped up (possibly due to the Elder Wand making him think he and his loved ones were untouchable). The rest of his life, his actual life, and many of his friends lives were dedicated to stopping him after that.

He knew Voldemort since forever, and knew he was clever as fuck and probably had a safety net. He had to be sure, and as much as it breaks my heart to think of him this way he was willing to give up every friend/family member down to the last to be sure that Voldemort actually bit it.

Looking back, this is a great coming-of-age series. Dumbledore is introduced as a near perfect being and his corruption/incompetence is slowly introduced, much like many of us saw our parents growing up, and Rowling is practically begging us to sympathize with just about every baddy she throws our way.

I might be tempted to give you the polyjuice bit if ya sucked me off at the right angle, tho.

I still can wrap my mind around how this writer deals with Slytherin kids. Everybody and their mom hates them. If I were a kid and ended up in Slytherin in that school and in my first year an the old hag head of Gryffindor sent me to the dungeons and treated me like a terrorist I'd be pretty fucking pissed.
And in that shitty epilogue nothing changes and slytherins are still seen as the scum of earth anyway.

Also the marauders map makes me wonder, if some teenagers could come up with it, why wouldn't Dumbledore either do one himself or at least use the original one? Might have saved a couple of lifes with it

>I won't deny that these books/movies are without inconsistency
This sentence, as it is, suggests that people are saying the books are 100% consistent and that you are agreeing with them. Keep track of your negatives.

I think he probably didn't realize that Lockhart was full of shit until he was already hired.
He was famous for battling dark arts after all.

Rowling hate him so much because she based him on his first husband and was mad that her audience loved him. I remember reading her pissed posts on her website worrying about girls liking Draco.

"yes yes, lockhart was bad. HOWEVER. you see kids, i was actually testing you. if you were smart students, you would see that he was prime example of what not do and you would learn not by example, but by honing your deductive abilities by seeing through this obvious charlatan. i mean i could just hire a competent teacher that would actually teach you but that's too far fetched."

That's retarded on Dumbledore's part, but it's at least consistent with his character. He subjected Harry to a shitty childhood to give him a background of humility before he realized he was powerful and famous.

It is not who earned it who gets it, it is whom ever kills it's owner. Snape, dumbledore, malfoy, and grindlewald never had it. Only gregoravich, harry, voldemort and the people from history ever owned it

Seriously. Atlas Shrugged being anything but "whiny trash" tier is an insult to all of the other books on that list.

I don't think the Raven claws minded them much. Probably felt like equals a bit.
Hufflepuffs probably got bullied by them all the time.
Grffyindors were their rivals obviously

He had no choice, no one wants to teach Defense because all the teacher's die.

Well done OP, well done. HOWEVER

>i could just hire a competent teacher that would actually teach you
Questionable at best. Throughout the 7 books, there are at best 2 capable Defense professors. Lupin was hired the very first year he could be (Wolfsbane invented between when Lockhart was hired and the end of 1992) and only lasted one year. Moody was known to be a nutcase, so there's a good chance the only reason that year worked out was because it was actually Crouch in disguise, who needed to be competent to gain Harry's trust.

This. Whatever Dumbledore was pulling (time travel, whatever), it ended up being like a Paycheck/Butterfly Effect mashup.

They never implicitly show/describe him screwing with time, but I'd say it's implied. The dude's a like 150yr old wizard with the fucking elder wand, and probably spent eons trying to go back in time to save his sister before giving up.

So how did Harry beat Voldemort if Voldemort was the proper wielder of the Elder Wand after he killed Gregorovich?

youre new

Why does everyone staunchly refuse to electricity, even when it'd be more convenient than magic?
Why does Dumbledore allow children to attend a school full of things that can and do literally kill them?
Why didn't someone just shoot Voldemort with an actual gun?

Go back to you pretentious faggot.

>and now muggles, it's time to die
>AVADA KED-
>*BANG*
>u is in crips turf whitey

Do wizards understand magnets?

How could integrated circuit technology impact wizarding society?

Atlas Shrugged is probably the best book(or dare I say piece of literature) on there assuming you are of high intelligence

Ah, yes, the Norfolk branch of the Crips.

>keep waiting for Slytheryn to redeem themselves by the end
>nope turns out they're just the hitler youth fags who will support the villain to the end

he wanted to fullfil the stupid profhecy: he always knew Voldy was alive in Albania but just didn't want to finish the job

Snape was capable. Just had a serious hardon for playing favorites

Some good points... HOWEVER (ah ah ah)

At that point he must've realized Voldemort had something up his sleeve that was keeping him alive. Personally, put in his place I can't say I'd have acted any different. I can't say it would be easy, but for the most part he acted like a total bro.

I wonder what would happen if the rotherham rape gangs found out about the wizards

probably by getting killed by riddle in the forest

Electronics malfunction around magic, mentioned in fourth book. Probably fucks around with the EM spectrum.

As for the gun, I'm assuming protego could make somebody bulletproof if they knew to have it always turned on. Of course then all somebody needs to do is enchant the slugs, but that would start a wizard's arms race.

Realistically, and if JK Rowling wasn't a dumb cunt, American wizards would be packing some serious magical heat.

>Slytherins aren't evil! No, really!
>Harry Potter has ONE kid go to Slytherin
>That little shit falls in love with Voldemort's daughter, resurrects Voldemort and gets all of Britain run by the Death Eaters

B R A V O
J
O
S
S

>everything bad in the wizarding world is directly related to slytherin

uhh guys, you don't really need 4 houses

Why didn't Dumbledore just keep Harry in a Gringots vault if he wanted to keep him safe?

Voldemort wasnt though

>Why would the creatures care about human children not being able to go into the forest?
They don't, but you brought up putting an age line around it. That's putting a magical barrier around a place where a bunch of sentient creatures live, including the centaurs, who take offense at even the suggestion of being controlled by humans. It's not that much of a stretch to think that some creatures could have seen something like that as a measure to control the creatures in the forest. We also don't know what an age line would do to someone that isn't a human.

And again, students going in there and getting hurt is apparently a non-existent problem. Students are told not to go there, and they don't because they don't want anything to happen to them.

Helllo reddit

Why not? If Gregorovich was the master of the Elder Wand, and stayed the master when Grindelwald stole it without killing him, who became the owner when Voldemort killed Gregorovich?

Dude this happened before 9/11

Even the only Slytherin that gets redeemed is mentioned to have been sorted "too soon" by the nazi asshole, implying Snape would belong in gryffindor. Sirius' brother or Draco, that become Death Eaters and betray their master are not even considered. I hate Rowling and her stupid logic.

he wanted harry to sacrifice him self for his friends, like Lilly did

If shit was so crazy, why didn't Dumbledore call in some SAS motherfuckers to get Voldemort?

pretty sad what happened to him

it is the whole Love conquers all shit, Harry sacrificed him self and conquered Voldemort, he also killed Voldemort a lot

The book are told from the perspective of kinds in the rival house, and the only ones we really know are massive bullies whose dads are basically Nazis. Most of the other ones are probably at least okay, and there isn't much of an indication that everyone hates them, except for the house rivalry.

And their ideology isn't even considerd bad by most of the world. The wizarding world is very insular, and ideas abotu blood purity seem to be very common. Muggles are seen as subhuman (Arthur Weasley's job is basically cleaning up hate crimes wizards commit against them), and several characters talk about how even non-death eaters commonly regard mudbloods and half-bloods less than pure-bloods.

Does every qt girl in Bongland turn into a slag at age 18?
What the FUCK

>act like a muggle Crabbe in real life
>get fired from being Crabbe
Honestly doesn't make that much sense.

Have you even read Atlas Shrugged? I have. It is written terribly. Ayn Rand does not know how to write a captivating story. Her AnCap philosophy is possibly the most sociopathic form "society" ever invented.

It's bait, retard.

The job was cursed and Dubledore knew it. He needed somebody stupid enough to take the job that he didn't care about anything bad happening to. That makes Dumbledore a dick, but more to Lockheart than to the kids since he knew that somehow and some way Lockheart would lose the job.

The guy who got off the best was Lupin, who was just dicked out of the job by Snape being a cunt.

i was in love with luna. this image is fake. delete this now.

>hurf durf, I was only pretending to be retarded.

You can never really tell with AnCaps.

I have a theory that Dumbledore died after Harry's second year at Hogwarts and was replaced by a more capable stand in

Helllo reddit

You're never gonna get through to them, every single thread it's posted and every single time more of these retards come out of the woodwork

>dumbledore knows where Harry is at all times
>can't ever keep track of the fucking Dark Arts teacher

>he isn't smart enough to understand ayn rand
don't worry kid
i'm sure the next game of thrones book is right around the corner. you can check out the sequel to fight club whilst you wait

He knew.
>Dumbledore didn't know what the fuck a basilisk was
He knew. He just had no clue how the fuck a huge monster was getting around and how to find it. I don't blame him; who the hell would think the school's pipes are so massive?
>Dumbledore didn't know one of his professors was chugging down Polyjuice potion every hour
Barty's frequent drinking lines up with Moody's paranoia about consuming things from other people. Additionally, it's not like the flask is transparent. Dumbledore couldn't really tell it was Polyjuice.
>Is Dumbledore the most incompetent "wise" mentor figure in the history of film and literature?
He literally orchestrated everything, including his own death, and won though.

I can see about 20 possibilities of shopping banes and memes inside those book covers

If he knew about the basilisk there's no reason he wouldn't have literally filled the castle with roosters.

A rooster crowing kills a basilisk.

>all those moving staircases that just take you wherever the fuck they want to
>every house is haunted
>dungeons beneath the school
>actual monsters inside and surrounding the school
>half the teachers are evil

hogwarts is an awful place