Picrel

>picrel
why wasn't Harry taken away by social services? Dursleys were abusing and neglecting him. why was it allowed?

magic

He was a wizard

Theres no such thing.

Because Dahl style nutters are more entertaining for kids to read about than boring, law-abiding adults.

Because his mom cast a spell that only worked if his aunt was around.

There's no point to any of these threads anymore. It's just people wasting the internet their parents pay for.

I've worked with social services in the uk briefly and there needs to be a significant amount of neglect for a child to be taken away from a parent.

One mother smoked crack every weekend and was on methadone but she got to keep her kids because she would hand them over to her mother when she was about to get high/ have a comedown.

Someone whip out that pasta

yea but that's not the question

Welcome to the internet

Are you sure?

Like a lot of things in the Harry Potter books, Rowling wrote it without caring about what she was implying. It's like how there's no real economy, everyone can choose from 4 jobs, and Wizard Britain is some kind of pariah state with 0 allies.

Why weren't you taken away by social services for being allowed to watch this drivel? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

its britain and they were muslims

UK doesn't care about kids, they let crazy dykes chop off boy's penises and turn them into girls and let Pakistanis form rape gangs to groom little girls in sex slaves

how about locking it in a small room with no light sources and not feeding for days

Think I like Murrica solution of just locking crackheads up and taking their children.

Fuck this government supporting crack habits.

I can always count on you showing up

Wouldn't be able to prove it, just having a cupboard under the stairs isn't enough evidence that a supple fuccboi is being kept under there.

At worst they'd be subject to investigation but nothing would happen because their house is nice and it's fully stocked with food.

We only go halfway with it, though. The kids, especially if they're dirt-poor black kids living in a densely populated area, sometimes end up in these overcrowded foster homes that are basically miniature prisons.

It's a great setup in richer areas though.

desu, Harry had a pretty bad situation there but it would have been even worse in all likelihood if he became a ward of the state.

Harry's room is peak /comfy/

if you're Stuart Little

>and Wizard Britain is some kind of pariah state with 0 allies

This one sort of bothered me, because we know they have good relations with Wizard France and Wizard Russia at the very least. But neither of those countries said "hey, need any help with your civil war?".

Grow up

>but it would have been even worse in all likelihood if he became a ward of the state.

Voldemort 2.0 in the making, wonder how long it would have taken him to realize that he could sic garden snakes on other kids.

Honestly I don't really care as long as poor people are suffering and get locked in an inescapable cycle of despair as early as possible.

I like to assume that they all had their own problems. Surely Voldemort isn't the only evil wizard in the world

>"You need to stay with your abusive aunt and uncle who regularly starve and beat you, Harry. You see, your mother cast a spell that keeps you safe when you're with them"
>"What? You want to know why you can't live at Hogwarts, a fortress protected by hundreds of spells and charms and staffed by the most powerful wizards on earth? Where it's considered safe enough for you to stay 10 out of 12 months of the year? Uhh...."

What did Dumbledore mean by this?

1400 children were raped for over 10 years in a single town in England and nobody stopped them. You think living in a cupboard would?

The Dursleys are Muslim

His aunt and uncle are white though

Why didn't he fly over the maze in the Goblet of Fire?

They don't beat him.

> there needs to be a significant amount of neglect for a child to be taken away from a parent.

They neither starve nor beat him.

He lived like the typical yurop.

being white is racist

Their only real crime is not providing him a prayer mat.

>LOVE 'ARRY, THE GREATEST MAGICK IS 'OVE ME BOY! NOW COME SIT ON DUMBY'S LAPPY, I NEED TO REFILL YOUR PROTECTION SPELLS!

how didn't Ron's brothers noticed for two years that he was sleeping in a same bed with a guy named Peter?

>As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."
>I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times.
this phrase never occurs once Harold

They frequently refuse to give him meals or only give him their scraps in the books. His aunt swings at his head with a fucking frying pan at one point.

>Later, when Harry is in the garden, Dudley taunts him about having received no mail from his "weird friends at that school". Harry, angered, says he was thinking about how to set the hedge on fire, and starts mumbling nonsense words. Panicking, Dudley calls for his mother; Petunia swings at Harry's head with a soapy frying pan

Part of me thinks even with leaving the EU it is too late for television license land.

So what you're telling me is that she didn't beat him?

>IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO

btw this was also the council where, a couple years later, it was revealed that the same child protection services refused to do anything about paki grooming gangs who raped 1400 girls over a decade because they were scared of appearing racist

count on a bunch of mid-wits like your average /lit/ browser to completely miss the appeal

I don't see why they would ever be looking at the Gryffindor common room.

why nobody thought about using a fucking time machine to murder magical Hitler when he was a child, and instead they figured that the best use for it was to give it to some thirteen yo annoying cunt so that she could go to more classes in school?

Rotherham is all kinds of fucked. Only good thing it's produced is /ourguys/ the Chuckle Brothers.

Did Hitler put wizards in concentration camps?

Even though "good" wizards reject racial hygiene laws, they pretty clearly think all muggles are legit scum. Kind of live how nazis may have had quibbles about how many drops of jew blood is acceptable but they all hated jews.

How many good muggles are there in the books?

to check if Ron was there so they could pull le epic prank on him. on just got bored. it's implausable that they wouldnt check it at least once in over two years

>the regularly feed him and this one time his Aunt didn't beat him
>this is my evidence that he was starved and beaten
Hmm

They actually had the map for 4 years and Scabbers was Percy's before Ron's. So they didn't notice Peter sleeping with two separate brothers over the course of 4 years.

Time Turners only allow you to go back in time a few hours, and Harry Potter Time exists in a fixed loop. Taking extra classes is about all they're good for.

I came to this thread just for this.

but /lit/ makes insecure as fuck!

They didn't use the map much at that point. After two years, they had already memorized the important hidden passages. It was one of the reasons why they gave the map to Harry in the first place.

Plus, like the other user said, why the fuck would they look at their brother's bedroom?

If they were planning a prank, I believe they are not the type to rely on the map to pull it off, especially inside their own commom room.

>If they were planning a prank, I believe they are not the type to rely on the map to pull it off,
They explicitly state that the map is how they've been pulling everything off for years.

Because british social services are renowed for being utter garbage.
They will take away a child from an honest, loving, hardworking but poor family but won't disturb any abusive drill manufacturer.

Aint gonna be so comfy when dozens of people keep stomping up and down the stairs during a party or social event.

/lit/ makes nobody insecure unless your interests are solely represented by which Sup Forums boards you browse, /lit/ is a fucking joke like all art boards.

A GOOD MUGGLE

IS A DEAD MUGGLE

But seriously, you'd think Harry would've developed some prejudice against muggles.

Its the UK, social services only takes your kid away if you vote UKIP

social services in the UK are more likely to give children to paedophiles than to take them away from abusive parents.

Because Rowling is a shit writer.