youtube.com/watch?v=MflTmYaXR_w
youtube.com/watch?v=HUpkSf-d8Yg
youtu.be/rGflu3TbREo
youtube.com/watch?v=uFBoddFaxlg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this Weezer

this is gay

trying too hard

Because Kurt Cobain was a fantastic pop songwriter just in general?

thats a bingo

When Kurt said this song was a Pixies rip off I always thought he was being overly modest

You can hear it more here

pretty gay

Not half bad honestly but it sounds so fucking 'off' that I can't stand it.

this is fuckin hilarious
but also good

What makes one a good pop songwriter?

youtube.com/watch?v=g_TEOuyPDNo
what about this one?

I think it sounds more like the breeders than the pixies, kurt was obsessed with the former

That just sounds stupid

Foo Fighters are better anyway

>....hey

holy shit this works too well

Smells like teen spirit was pop-punk already though

I like this one as well although the mix is kinda weird, not sure what program they were using.
youtube.com/watch?v=UojtFRMIp-Q

This. It's sloppy.

This one is interesting too

I like this one a lot better, it actually sounds unique like the original does. OP's just sounds like some 90s oasis ripoff

Besides a mix of natural talent and hard work? A deep interest in music as a whole so as to get a wide musical pallete and knowing how to push boundaries without alienating your audience. Things like smart use of dissonance and tension and release to create memorable melodies, too. The easiest one to analyze is Creep by Radiohead as a good example of a song that has both interesting harmonic movement and pop sensibility. It goes G, B, C, Cm. It is firmly in G, but B is actually a tritone substitution to F which would tease a G F C chord progresion (V - IV - I). It also means it creates tension, before releasing it in the C, though not total release because it's the fourth. It then uses Cm, which creates a chromatically descending section which goes E Eb D, but because there's so little voice movement it doesn't feel as awkward as it's expected (Eb/D# is also used in the B chord, so there's a nice swinging motion here). It also creates tension and resolves it due to the use of the flat sixth, which is a leading tone to the fifth, so the pull to G is really fucking strong.

Basically, have at little bit of talent, a lot of hard work, a deep interest in music and understand how to create tension and release.

Thanks for the response

Does one need to know music theory/how to play an instrument to create good melodies? I like to sing and come up with melodies but have never played an instrument

>why is this so fucking amazing?
Because it's in a major key.

Pop isn't good, faggot. It's critically designed to appeal to low IQ average normies with its lack of complexity and depth. It's for people whose brains don't have the computing power for good music.

When your album sells 30 million copies as Nevermind has

wtf I hate pop now

Name 5 good songs to get me started on the right track of good music

Uhm, no (see: Michael Jackson) but both definitely help. Pianos are the easiest instrument to play and the easiest to bring your music to something easily reproducible - which is the main thing about it, really. As for music theory, it'll just be naming what you already do and open up your possibilities rather than stumbling by trial and error onto them.

Does must conscious thought go into creating melodies?

It's such a mysterious subject to me, it feels like it's something you have to be born with, as if the opposite then these music colleges, etc. would just be churning out great songwriters

I realize most pop isn't good but a good pop songwriter will be able to do music that you can look at and actually find interesting things in it. It's why Radiohead and Nirvana are favorites for jazz musicians to cover, and why Stockhausen himself said that John Lennon was the biggest bridge between popular and serious music. Yeah, most pop is downright mindless, but there's a talent in making something that can sell and be interesting at the same time.

I think that the original sprout has to be unconscious. It has to be something you just hear and go "that's it!" - but the development is very much something conscious.

Holy shit a song in a minor key transposed to a major sounds happier

youtube.com/watch?v=v30hFJ-T0zw
This is the song Kurt was ripping off most likely. I sounds exactly like Teen Spirit and came out in 1990.

Here's 4
>Atheist - Mother Man
youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI

>Pestilence - Soul Search
youtube.com/watch?v=AnAjlsSwqx0

>Crimeny - Evolution
youtube.com/watch?v=MflTmYaXR_w

>Beta Popes - Zondervan
youtube.com/watch?v=HUpkSf-d8Yg

>clicks first song
>lyrics start

LMAO

Oh my god, this is terrible.

This, but unironically.

>listening to music for the lyrics
topkek

putting lyrics into music was a mistake on the part of musicians as a whole

>AABF19 (Don't Google This)
Or what faggot?

youtu.be/rGflu3TbREo

lol

Not one of their songs is as iconic as smells like teen spirit

Major pentatonic leads always sound so country

meanwhile this is marketed to those who think they're above those pop listening plebians
my almonds are activated

Jamiroquai is better than literally everything you have ever listened to or ever will.

>having such low T levels as this

great idea for a thread

>early '00s teen movie
>Smells Like Teen Spirit in major key starts playing

Jamiroquai is higher test than any faggy tard metal you have ever listened to.

I listened to it. It's shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=uFBoddFaxlg