Robert Johnson learned guitar at 26 and died a year later. What did he do all of that time before music?

Robert Johnson learned guitar at 26 and died a year later. What did he do all of that time before music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yGsAh2jx6JA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sell his soul to the devil

Hang out on the porch with the other monkeys

"I beat my woman
Just to feel satisfied"

That says it all.

whoopin, hollerin, shuckin, and jivin

that quote is taken out of context

got drunk mostly

I thought he learned it when he was 21, not 26

kek

Say around people playing music

Is that a John Lennon quote?

this

he was possessed by the devil

I know. He actually says that directly before that quote.

Interestingly, Jimi Hendrix had a girlfriend who said that he would beat her in fits of rage, and then he would cry like a child in the corner. Apparently, he claimed to her that he was possessed and needed to be exorcised. I believe it.

why is the devil so good at music?

robot hands

>Robert Johnson learned guitar at 26 and died a year later.

Yeah, that's a bunch of hogshit promoted by rock fans who want Johnson to be some can of unapproachable blues god. Here's an account Son House gives about a younger Robert Johnson, as quoted in the book "Searching for Robert Johnson" by Peter Guralnick:

>We'd all play for the Saturday night balls," Son House told folklorist Julius Lester," and there'd be this little boy standing around. That was Robert Johnson. He was just a little boy then. He blew a harmonica and he was pretty good with that, but he wanted to play a guitar. When we'd leave at night to go play for the balls, he'd slip off and come over to where we were... He'd get where Willie and I were and sit down on the floor and watch from one to the other. And when we'd get a break and want to rest some, we'd set the guitars up in the corner and go out in the cool. Robert would watch and see which way we'd gone, and he would pick one of them up. And such another racket you never heard! It'd make the people mad, you know. They'd come out and say, 'Why don't y'all go in and get that guitar away from that boy! He's running people crazy with it.' I'd come back in, and I'd scold him about it. 'Don't do that, Robert. You drive the people nuts. You can't play nothing. Why don't you blow the harmonica for 'em?' But he didn't want to blow that. Still, he didn't care how I'd get after him about it. He'd do it anyway."

Even though House calls him a "little boy," the book speculates that he would have been about 19 or 20 at this time. At some point, he decided he didn't want to put up with all the scolding and ribbing and wandered off somewhere else for about a year, where he presumably was practicing like crazy. So when he showed back up all the older musicians were floored by his improved abilities that seemed to come from nowhere. The whole thing about Robert Johnson selling his soul wasn't really a concept he promoted. That was Tommy Johnson's schtick.

Trips of truth. OP is repeating tired old memes.

whoa, I didn't know that. wild guess but it sounds like Jimi was hit a lot when he was a kid, or saw his mom get hit frequently, and the fact he picked that up bothered him a lot

only guitar

He learned at like 21. He was still an insanely fast learning player in an era without internet as a guy who certainly couldn’t afford a formal teacher. But come on. Don’t be silly.

>only guitar
i remember there was an old classical violin(?) maestro who also apparently made a deal with the devil to become a good player/composer

>Robert Johnson
fiddle too

ignore the >robert johson

>only guitar
But can the devil rap?

Niccolo Paganini

they can't bend for shit though

Literally anyone can.

fuck off, jerry

bending is whiteboi light gauge shit

t. a white boy

Thanks Ken Burns

it was a different time

a better time

How can li'l Robert even compete?

youtube.com/watch?v=yGsAh2jx6JA

is he 56%?

>What did he do all of that time before music?
rape

Tartini?

Wats the blues equivalent of Gucci gang

john fahey

Nice manga

He's believed to be mixed black and Indian, so not exactly

the devil is fine

mostly this, but with a shit ton of suffering cuz the Man

Yeah but the flip side to that is that there were no distractions and dude probably didn't have to do any real work to sustain himself. I mean the guy probably couldn't read or write and he probably didn't have enough money to drink that much so his life just consisted of wandering around riding trains playing guitar fuckin bitches and drinking
More like Alan lomax

Yeah but the flip side to that is that there were no distractions and dude probably didn't have to do any real work to sustain himself. I mean the guy probably couldn't read or write and he probably didn't have enough money to drink that much so his life just consisted of wandering around riding trains playing guitar fuckin bitches and drinking
More like Alan lomax
He can't
Charley>>>Robert
Don't let Clapton tell you otherwise

Stories like that circulate about both of them, Paganini because he was so ungodly skilled with a violin, because he was redheaded and because he died very young Under somewhat bizarre circumstances. Tartini because he himself claimed to have met the devil in a dream one night. Apparently, the devil picked up his violin and played something so beatiful that Tartini woke up and wrote it down in a haste. Apparently, he said that his biggest regret was not being able to fully remember what the devil had played during that encounter.

You know.
Black people stuff.

Such as?

anyone else read the robert johnson manga? pretty great stuff but don't expect an ending.

Sounds like a fucking hero.

iam interested
What's the name?

it's called reading the filename you dumb retard

cry more faggot
Btw thanks

Tell me Sup Forums, how do I sell my soul to the devil?

Thing people dont understand about ceremony is there is no right or wrong way to do it.

If you do something evil enough he will notice.

Kill a homeless person thats a good start

he was from the delta, he absolutely was a casual farm laborer

Haunted bump.