The Doors

Why is there so much backlash against the Doors?
It seems of all the classic era rock bands they get the most criticised online and on mu. Does anyone know why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iv8GW1GaoIc
youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE
youtube.com/watch?v=LoaLCc2jR_g
centerforaninformedamerica.com/laurelcanyon/
youtu.be/AdgUn-0DDFs?t=2m48s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every The Doors song starts good and then after 2 minutes it turns to shit
youtube.com/watch?v=iv8GW1GaoIc

Doors is one of the greatest bands ever formed in history. People nowadays simply can't comprehend it, nor understand it.
There is an unimaginable amount of cucks and liberals on the internet.

Same thing with Light My Fire, its like the song is over after 2/3 minutes but they just keep going
youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

This but unironically

great band but their music doesn't translate well to modern soy-based audiences

>masterful classically trained musicians
>original mix of blues, jazz, and psychedelia
>passionate vocals with complex lyrics evoking classic literature
>first album literally perfect with many great tunes after that

Out of all the "Overrated dad rock" bands, The Doors deserve the backlash the least.

Reminder The End by The Doors is one of the worst rock songs ever made.

I prefer Percy Page and the Zeppelins

The eternal pleb

>can't appreciate a band jamming out

please stick to lil wayne

> cucks and liberals
> implying these aren't the people who elevated this memeband to anything more than "okay" status

excellent reminder of how a "pleb filter" works
sorry not every song can cater to your 12 year old attention span

Severe ADHD: the Posts

what can I say? at least the start is good

U2 is better band

They were pretty good, better than The Beatles and all that pop kiddie trash but worse than The Velvet Underground and real rockino.

I prefer Jefferson Airplane.

Velvet Underground only had one good album though

It's bland as shit.

White Light/White Heat? Yeah I agree, but it's still a thousand times better than any popular album of that decade.

I majored in Music Theory and my Professor gave a 2 hour lecture on why its the worst.

Paraphrase some of it, Im curious

I'm more of a Barbara Lynn fan:
youtube.com/watch?v=LoaLCc2jR_g

People like to gain points by being a contrarian and putting down the greatest bands that ever lived like The Doors or The Beatles. The Doors are incontestably a great band with many great tunes and several albums epic all the way through. Though, not trying to be a faggot, but The Beatles are overrated (though they also have several epic songs), and at least half of their radio hits aren't very good.

And no one really sounds like The Doors, no one can really imitate their soulful blues, psychedelic, organ-heavy, sound. That's the mark of a truly great band. Also Ray Manzarek was the genius behind the doors, really responsible for most of the songwriting. Jim Morrison was a good vocalist, I like his sound, but most of his lyrics are a stream of consciousness ramble like Kurt Cobain.

and you just ate it up like a faggot
sorry you invested your life into something you have shit taste, have fun being a hobo

Friendly reminder that the Oliver Stone movie was underrated. It has its flaws, but doesn't reserve the critism it received.

PS The Documentary with Johnny Depp narrating is kino af

U2 might be great if you like bland flavorless dad rock from the 80s. I bet you like fucking Phil Collins too.

I meant their first album but WLWH is pretty good too. Loaded was shit tho

everything up to including loaded

The biggest flaw with it, is I really don't think Val Kilmer played a good Jim Morrison. It's a major flaw, but I'm not so sure anyone could have done better. Jim had a real distinct vibe, a distinct way of carrying himself, talking, and a unique sound musically; something that can probably never properly be replicated.

This.
All this.

I actually like The Doors but seriously The End is truly a terrible rock song

No suck my ass

My mom loves U2

>jefferson airplane
two song band desu

still my second favorite song of theirs, after crystal ship
what you gonna do about it

Even their pre-Loaded outtakes albums were absolute musickino.

>crystal ship
my nigga

A young Jason Patric would have looked the part, but I'm not sure he had the acting chops to pul it off back then. He got a lot better as an actor but he wasn't that good in the 80s.

FIND OUT ABOUT LAURYEN CANYON
kek

Rider on a storm is great gta4 biker add on dlc

The Doors and others were a psy op:
centerforaninformedamerica.com/laurelcanyon/

This.
The Doors had 6 amazing albums. Even Soft Parade was good imo.
I'm a big fan of Lou Reed and Velvet tho. But remember that Velvet underground and Nico received shit reviews when it was released. It was only acknowledged as good several years after its release

Grace Slick had some good solo songs. I mean, she's no Suzie Quatro, but she's not bad at all.

The End is a psychedelic trip, sure it could probably be trimmed down a bit, maybe some of the goofier lyrics cut (the blue bus is calling us, ride the snaaaaake).... but the mood building intensity is genius, you can really feel a trip building up and climaxing.

And that song is a brilliant counterpart to the end of Apocalypse Now. That final scene with commander Kurtz is god-tier cinema.

I actually really like that song, but I can see how someone wouldn't. If you can't forgive some incredibly stupid lyrics in the middle of a brillaint 10+ minute masterpiece, I'd venture to say you're wrong.... but I do see where you're coming from.

Celebration of the Lizard > The End

I would love to hear some of his points aswell.
But I guess your massive pleb professor turned you into a massive pleb aswell

Shit opinion

>got moved from Sup Forums to Sup Forums
brava mods
brava

Well, it should have been in music to begin with... but it's still a good thread. I like a chance to talk The Doors.

Alright. Favorite doors songs:
>Five to One
>Maggie M'Gill
>The End
>Light My Fire
>Waiting on the Sun
>Soul Kitchen
>Crystal Ship
>Backdoor Man
>Riders on the Storm

I fucking love The Doors. And I think Five to One is the greatest protest song in history (and my favorite of theirs). It's seriously underrecognized, I don't think it was really ever a major radio hit, but it deserved to be.

tfw a thread discussing music is more serious on Sup Forums than on Sup Forums
why is Sup Forums so shit?

>good thread on Sup Forums
cant have that

My favorite thing about Five to One is the fact that you can hear how drunk he was while recording.

Also; Roadhouse Blues is the best rock/blues drinking song ever made

Shit, forgot to include it. Yeah, any bar band that's worth a fuck should always have it in their repertoire. I agree fully.

so Sup Forums is to blame for the blasphemous shit taste in the first couple posts?

In no particular order:
>Celebration of the Lizard
>The End
>When the Musics Over
>Crystal Ship
>Five to One
>Moonlight Drive
>Their live Who Do You Love cover

>Be Sup Forums

>Shits on the fucking doors

>idolize meme trash like Lil pump ,lil peep ,and [Insert some weird looking guy with a tattoo on his face]

What a shit board full of 12 year old

the doors is also a movie Tbh so it could have stayed on Sup Forums as well

>yfw Ray manzarek transcends in to another dimension
GOAT
youtu.be/AdgUn-0DDFs?t=2m48s

this

Because Jim Morrison is fat and talentless

I wouldn't say he was talentless. He was a decent poet and he was outstanding at doing drugs and drinking

that doesn't really make sense, jim morrison was the OG unapologetically masculine frontman. disliked hippies. he was interested in taking consciousness to new levels and using the act of performance as a way to enhance that. in this sense, he was less a musician and more a performance artist, just like every frontman since him. hippies had no reason to wrap his music into the flower child thing; he was the exact opposite.

GOAT rock band, they seem to repel soy
more rock bands should learn to improv as they did onstage, and thoroughly learn the theory necessary to do so as well as The Doors could

this x100
there are a lot of classic rock bands you could criticize for being overly flashy, corny, singing only about sex/drugs, over-using the pentatonic scale....etc
The Doors were not one of those bands

To add

>the most GORGEOUS frontman in rock history

Literally, Elvis and Bowie aint got shit on him. Girls actually sucked Morrisons dick casually at parties infront of everyone. LEt this sink in.

He is the epitome of what a frontman should be.

I've got the debut on vinyl and it skips loads so I've grown to dislike them out of annoyance with the LP, but I know I like them really

post your favourite Doors songs, mine are
Basically the entirety of their s/t
(especially Break on Through, End of The Night)
Strange Days
When The Music's Over (my overall favourite)
My Wild Love
Five To One
Roadhouse Blues
The Changeling
Riders on The Storm

light my fire
you're lost little girl
take it as it comes
alabama song
cars hiss by my window

This has to be bait

Bowie was far better-looking than Morrison. Jim was pretty hot though.

The Doors were my gateway into jazz, I never really cared for improv til I saw their live videos, then it was all I wanted to learn
I soon found out that I needed to learn jazz theory to be exceptional at improvisation, so that's when I begun listening to jazz, now it is almost all I listen to

although I didn't list these, I agree that these are top notch tracks

holy shit what the fuck

seriously what the hell is going on here

I know The Doors didn't have an official bassist, but did they not even tour with one? Is that bass sound pre-recorded or is there a dude just off screen?

No, he's not my type.

Turn off your classic rock station and actually play some of their albums.

Manzarek had bass pedals on his keyboards. He was just that good.

On record they recorded bass, but Ray Manzerik is just so fucking badass he played the bassline with his left hand on the organ.

Possible hot take, but did anyone else really enjoy the song The Soft Parade?
I understand the criticism of the album, but I think the song itself is definitely one of my top 5, if not top 3 tracks
>the song was recorded while the band was tripping LSD
>halfway through pam starts giving jim head

*leans into mic* WROONG
>His portrayal of Morrison was praised and members of The Doors noted that Kilmer did such a convincing job that they had trouble distinguishing his voice from Morrison's
> Morrison biographer Jerry Hopkins says that he saw Kilmer one day when meeting Oliver Stone for lunch, using a payphone in the restaurant, and was so convinced that the first thought that entered his head was, "I'd forgotten how tall Jim was."
Kilmer's portrayal was flawless

I suspected as much but didn't want to believe it was true.
Damn.

Yes, that's probably my favorite Doors song.

Old fag here, transitioned from boy to man in the mid 80's. Back then getting into the Doors was like a rite of passage. I read a Jon Densmore quote about this - he said that Jim Morrison served a vital role in getting boys out from their mother's skirt and becming men. Rang true to me. I suspect younger generations have their own more contemporary figures for this function.
Still have all the Doors albums in my collection, but haven't played any of them for 25 years. CBF. First album is quite good, side 1 of Morrison Hotel is good. The rest is mostly filler with the odd good tune.

I agree. Even his singing was good.

The biggest critism I've read about the movie, is that they portrayed Morrison poorly. With the reckless, "don't give a fuck", rude attitude he has in the movie.

I believe some of the other bands members were quite frustrated with his portrayal because the movie missed his good side, but don't quote me on this.

They're easily the best "dadrock" band. First two albums are both masterpieces.

>It seems of all the classic era rock bands they get the most criticised online and on mu. Does anyone know why?
That would be U2

U2 is the WORST classic rock band to ever exist