Why do people get stuck in time with their musical taste?

Poor Papa Greg

It really isn't bad that that's what he listens to. It's good music. The only thing cringe about it is he's posting it on social media like anyone cares.

Why do people think you need to listen to new and modern music?

They never actually liked music to begin with, they only like some sound that vaguely reminds them of when they weren't a loser who cleans pools for a living like the co-worker of mine who used to play a Styx Greatest Hits cassette on repeat at work.

>attacking some random old man for his music taste

The Dude abides.

He does kinda look like The Dude.

why you be sayin that famalam? nigga seems chill af

>generic dadrock
>good

let me guess you hate hip hop too?

Men stop mentally aging after their 20s. Having your taste locked down is a side effect of this. For all you young people browsing right now, be sure to get into patrician genres such as jazz, classical, and experimental electronic music before your brain solidifies and you're stuck listening to Radiohead over and over again.

>Why do people get stuck in time with their musical taste?

Cultural programming creates a cage which majority of people can't excape.

It is the basis of control.

not an argument.
And no, is not generic.
Venon is different from kiss, which is different from sabbath etc
saying "hurrr durr dadrock lmao" is not an argument

Why the fuck is this lad being memed nonstop? Is he some sort of non-marxist hegelian and fags are creaming their pants in a similar fashion to JBP?

>lists black sabbath under generic dadrock
Get your taste checked out my friend.

None of you have got it right yet.

It's because after a while most people get busy with their lives and stop looking out for new music

"Most people in the world don't actually like music. Those who do usually become musicians."

-- Kurt Cobain

>generic hip hop
>good
let me guess you hate "dadrock" too?

>workout music
>representative of someone's actual taste

>people don't like my meme rap because they're PROGRAMMED BY THE SYSTEM, MAN
have you considered your meme rap is shit

You ever seen Heavy Metal Parking Lot? They interview the guys 10 years later and most of them are just average blue collar dudes who work as plumbers and truckers and almost none of them listen to anything but the same music they did at 16. One dude became rich and successful and listens to country mostly.

>-- Kurt Cobain
Post disregarded

metal CONFIRMED intellectual's music, indefags and raptards BTFO

Thankfully the music from when I was a teenager was so bad (or to say nu metal and pop punk) that nobody still listens to it except ironically.

Good shit

he really was a dummy

>can't actually refute his claim
:^)

"I wish I were gay"

--Kurt Cobain

Only valid answers on the thread so far.

Well, the music did get a lot more juvenile. The idea of music explicitly aimed at 11 year olds hadn't come up yet in the 80s.

The point is that there are lots of people who get into certain music in a certain time period and then simply listen to those artists forever, never listening to anything new.

I like indie, rap and metal. What does that make me.

>Iron maiden
>sabbath
>venom
>scorpions
>generic dadrock
Has Sup Forums rotten your brain so much that you can't enjoy genuinely great music because it's old and has guitars in it? Fucking pathetic

I feel like most of what I listen to was released between 1990 and 2011, getting spottier afterwards. The timeline is brought backwards only by Tom Waits. The oldest album I listen to is TMR occasionally.

a reasonable person desu

That's fucking retarded

My future gf

I've never understood guys like this who can be 40+ and still listen to the same music on repeat. Loud, angry metal shit was great when I was a 15 year old edgy teen, it spoke to me. But I just don't "feel" pounding drums and screeching vocals about Satan anymore.

All of my highschool friends still listen to what they listened to when they were in highschool (10 years ago), and they're positive their taste is impeccable, and they get very upset if you make the slightest suggestion it isn't

You'd be surprised at just how unimportant music is to most people unless they make a living from it.

I really don't listen to music from when I was 14 that much, quite rarely in fact.

This. The best drug to listen to music on is hormones and being young, it never feels the same later on.
But also, there aren't that many new ideas. I still like to check out new music but its a struggle. I think this is a newish problem in a way, used to be the case older people find new music alienating and radical. It seems to just sound like tired copies of shit I've already got in 2018.

>But also, there aren't that many new ideas

Rock and roll is a couple of guitars over a loud 4/4 backbeat. How can it have new ideas by definition?

Don't you be mean to fucking Papa Greg.

True, but people have been able to reinvent it at regular intervals and in any form of art, genre tends to have a simple recipe or it wouldn't be a genre. The 21st century is a cultural wasteland, I don't think things have been this bad since the Dark Ages.

But most of those bands aren't really angry or satanic. Iron Maiden are a bunch of geezers who play the gallopy horse running beat when they sing about galloping horses. Its funny, the edge was all in your mind.

>The 21st century is a cultural wasteland, I don't think things have been this bad since the Dark Ages.

this board is 18+

Metal is great workout music, not that Sup Forums would know anything about working out.

I listen exclusively to prog and there is nothing you guys can do about it :^)

You're throwing in a red herring by including "and roll" so you can disregard prog, psych, metal, and basically everything else that came after 1967

epic hat meme my friend, mind if I save it? haha

That's frustrating as hell and a shitty way to live your life

If it was 40+ you'd understand what I'm talking about. No new musical movements worth mentioning, no new cinema, no new literary movements. These things used to change every few years, the 2010s aren't even especially different from the 90s.

>the 2010s aren't even especially different from the 90s
This is a troll, right? Things have changed a _lot_ since the 90s. That was like 20+ years ago. If this were 1998, would you have still expected everything to look like the 70s? Of course not.

Let's break this down for the brainlets on Sup Forums, which is almost everyone.

A few simple facts:
>new does not mean good, nor does it mean bad; the age of music is entirely irrelevant to it's quality
>modern "popular" music is a 20th and 21st century thing, enabled by cheap and widely available audio reproduction
>In any given year, 90% of the music released is garbage and will be forgotten (unless it's so bad it becomes a meme)
>there's only ever going to be a small percentage of years that count as "the present", in which "new music" exists

So, it's basically just math. There's more years of good music in the past than in the present. As time goes on, the past grows. New music isn't getting worse, but our cultural back-catalogue is getting better every year. There's essentially no reason to try to "keep up with new music" when you have the better part of a century of 10/10s you haven't listened to.

Also rap sucks.

>2010s aren't even especially different from the 90s
Well... you're being plain retarded

And even just the early 2010s looks outdated now, stuff that was popular then isn't anymore.

>1998
>NIGGA BITCH HOE
>NIGGA LIKE MY BOOTY HOLE
>YOU AIN'T GOT SHIT ON MY GLOCK GAT
>I'LL SPREAD YOU APART LIKE A PUSSY CAT

>2018
>GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG

Most people in the world don't actually like cake. Those who do usually become bakers."
>Some retarded top-tier cake making guy

The 90s was all about gangsta shit, hip-hop doesn't really do that anymore, it hasn't since 50 Cent.

>Also rap sucks.
opinion disregarded

It's exclusivelly your problem if you're only paying attention at your shitty country mainstream music.

So what you're saying is rap, which everyone thought was shit then, somehow got worse

>The 21st century is a cultural wasteland, I don't think things have been this bad since the Dark Ages

>Also rap sucks.

nice

Its very sad you have no idea what I'm talking about. Watch documentaries about the 70s or the 80s. A couple of years was an eternity back then. Look at someone like Bowie, he was barely keeping up even then, look at what Beatles went through between 1962 and 1969.

I'll leave you to go back to talking about Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine and Bjork. Which would be like people in 60s and 70s talking about Louis Armstrong but whatever.

>genuinely good music
>implying any music is genuinely good

>A couple of years was an eternity back then

Same as now then. Think how short-lived that Katy Perry's peak was, by the start of Obama's second term she was already fading from relevance.

Has this guy ever left his house in the last 15+ years?

Yeah instead you now listen to music about getting your soypussy pounded by a gang of niggers. Truly an upgrade to that lame metal music

HOW DARE HE NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT BLICKY STIFFIES UH

Popular music on average goes through a major shift every 3-1/2 years. If you follow music history carefully, you'll notice what a truism this is.

so when's the next one due

>nighop 1998-2018
huh

Five years? The same period of time in which Bowie went from Hunky Dory to Station To Station.
You're just proving my point.

Haha, same bro! I just fucking hate it when some stupid old guy likes music. Anything earlier than 1986 is stupid dadrock right?

Popular culture is in in a bit of a transition now, most artists that were heavily tied into the zeitgeist of the Obama years are on the verge of becoming irrelevant.

>five years?
WE'VE GOT FIIIIVEE YEAAARSSS

>You're just proving my point.

What point is being proven here?

meant to quote
joke ruined

Man, this guy is wack if he thinks hip-hop now is at all like it was in 1998.

i once heard someone say that alcoholics musical tastes are generally bound to whatever they were listening to in the early days of their drinking. i've observed this as true in my alcoholic uncles. very interesting.

No doubt this dude is a nigger.

Things moved about as fast in the 70s-80s as any other decade, but it looks more noticeable because (mostly) those decades had some really extreme fashions.

it was worthless then and it's worthless now

Sure it's trash now as it was then, but it has changed. No need to be ignorant

I don't like it therefore it's irrelevant.jpg

2010s are much different from previous decades. The only thing that seems to stay the same and not evolve is nig music.

smashmouth was, at one point, relevant

that does not make them good

Based

Notice only black people hate on bands like that.

Pantera maybe, I don't think you can work out to Iron Maiden.

Sup Forums is seeping into Sup Forums again, it would seem.

>everyone who isn't literally a nigger dick sniffer is Sup Forums
go back to r/latestagecapitalism

I don't drink so must explain why I'm not hung up on whatever was out when I was 14.

I would probably bet on Sup Forums being one of the healthier boards.
I mean, if music is your hobby it's pretty easy to stay entertained while exercising. No excuse.

I've literally been here since new year and have no idea what Sup Forums is.

>dismantle user's patently silly argument that popular culture hasn't evolved measurably in the last two decades
>he falls back on some Sup Forums rambling about hip-hop instead
Welp...

Rap is indeed one of the worst genres and there is nothing you can say that will prove it otherwise.