Get a good director

>Get a good director
>Get a good lead actor
>18%
What went wrong?

Video game movie.

vidjakino indeed

Video game movie.

Video games have b-movie tier writing and plots, giving them a-movie budgets doesn't fix stupid premises, plots and shallow characters that require player input to be fleshed out and even then aren't necessarily "well written".

Is it out already?

Video Games are shit

Guess the writers sucked?

fassbender. great actor. but too "good" for this. I don't know how to word it well. somehow it just negates the entire effort. should've gone with antonio banderas. then you can have ezio, without really having him, and an actor that people generally have forgotten about but is still up to the job.

source material is dildos

Who on earth honestly thought asscreed had a good plot? It's a clusterfuck of dan brown with really bad sci-fi

This. I mean could anyone imagine how crappy a Skyrim movie would be?

It all takes place in VR so where' the danger to the main character? If there's nothing on the line then why should the viewer care?

I watch and liked every videogame movie with the exception of blood reign but I'm passing on assass creed because of how shitty the game is.

because failbender is overrated meme "actor", people don't want to waste their hard earned money to see his mug on big screen

>good director
>good lead

Kek

this

the game's storyline was shit

>fassbender.

this makes sense

no passion

>Get a good director
>Get a good lead actor
>Hire the guy who wrote "Tower Heist" and "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to write the script

i sure wonder what went wrong

A morrowind movie would be pretty good desu

Terrible 100% chance of failure premise

imdb gives it a rating of 6.7 user? where are you getting this percent from, please dont tell me you use any other rating system other than imdb

I think Michael should take a pause, maybe get some botox or go to rehab. He is 30-something but looks like Bryan Cranston's older brother.

I don't get why video game movies feel the need to stay extremely close to the source material, just use it as a concept ffs.
You could make a good movie out of the asscreed concept because it's interesting and can provide levels of moral/political intrigue

Good game = popular game
Popular game = large fan base
Large fan base sometimes results in a film adaptation for a cash grab. Unfortunately, most good games (or games in general) don't have good plots.

Maybe, just maybe the Bioshock movie could've been good. I have a feeling they would've fucked it up, but it at least could have made a good thinking man's action/horror film.

>extremely close to the source material, just use it as a concept ffs.
Because people these days see the opposite as a problem.
Look at the reception toward Resident Evil, Silent Hill, DoA, and Street Fighter (guilty pleasure all the way through).

What popular video game released in the past 10 years has a good enough plot for a movie? Nothing really comes to my mind right away, but I'm sure there is at least a couple.

Not the games but the witches books would make good movies. The problem with games is that there's way less time for intimate character development compared to novels.

I think mgs3 actually might make a good film but they'd have to do something different than just follow snake through each mission avoiding/taking guards out. Maybe some flashback character/relationship building to fill the voids or something.

*witcher

Maybe Bioshock.

I'd kill for a live action R rated Binding of Isaac movie. Something like Silent Hill mixed with Coraline but with a hallucinating 5 year old who slowly becomes more depraved as shit goes on. Christian/Hebrew/Satanic imagery and gore everywhere. Biblical references and parallels everywhere.

Obviously never gonna happen though.

>tackle the NPC that is always ahead of you until you've seen enough of our cool cityscape the game the movie

What could have gone worse?

RE1 movie was KINO as fuck

Reminder that we're getting a Call of Duty cinematic universe

Alice is a shit character

But user none of them do stay close to it and do change it, thats why they end up so hated, the video game fans feel cheated, and normies just dont find the movie good.

No it wouldn't

The screenplay, mostly, which couldn't even begin to shed it's videogame trappings but also couldn't embrace them in any meaningful way. I'm also not really convinced that Kurzel is a good director. Macbeth was mostly solid, but suffered from a lot of the same inconsistent cinematography/editing that made AC a chore.

Video games don't have good stories.

Actually I think this would turn out better than most vidja movies

First off they would be required to write an actual character with a backstory and motives. The writers wouldn't be able to use the generic bland vidya protag like Desmond or alice or whatever.

Secondly They would have to seriously re-write the story, considering the entire plot of skyrim is just a bunch of fetch-quests strung together and then you kill a dragon.

Basically in order to make the plot of skyrim into a movie, it would need so much alteration, that it would barely resemble the game.

This.

The very basics of movie making start with the story. You can have a billion dollar budget, the most famous actors ever, and the most prestigious director, but none of it means shit when they work with a garbage script.

Writers are the reason jokes land. They are the reason great plot twists stick in your mind. They are the reason some characters are so great.

Writers are criminally underappreciated

Has there ever been a movie with a shit director but a good writer that managed to make the movie good?

>You can make a bad film from a good script, but you can NEVER make a good film from a bad script.

- Oliver Stone

>vidya
>good script

Dan Brown shit is fun

That take some liberties and make a good script.
It wasn't directly based on a specific game's plot.
What gives?

who is this boner condoner?

>What went wrong?
Not much it's a solid film. No one is seeing it and that's the problem. This film is easily 7/10. It's not Kruzel's best work but it's still pretty good.

Braveheart and Dragons

Raggedy Anne Frank

>Implying he you're the target audience

Plus the film was mostly funded by some chink company so i think was more or less a cash grab of some sorts. I think the asian audience will take it down better though it's worthless in every aspect.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as everyone is saying. There was no way for this to ever work out. It would either need to be a television show or the whole movie would have to take place in the animus, which they would never do. I thought it was a well made movie considering the source material it had to work with.

Why watch a movie when you can play the game

But what if I suck at video games?

It's impossible to suck at Ass Creed

Sorry I liked it alot.

I don't believe you.

I don't feel like typing everything I hated and enjoyed but the main idea that I think was missed because alot of people were thinking muh video game movie.
I went in expecting to see a movie that was based off of a game. Which it was. did well separating itself from the game using the idea of free will. the driving force behind the assassins was to protect the right of free will. even if it enabled violence and no world peace(which i personally think killed it for alot of people because muh world peace)

Oliver Stone hasn't known what a good script is in decades.

You could probably turn Mass Effect into a half way decent stop the evil aliens scifi movie.

The last of us

Portal 2. The story wasn't complicated but had some 10/10 moments. The robot characters, Aperture laboratories and its history is fucking amazing and hilarious at the same time.

The gameplay was based on the puzzles though, and I'm not sure about a mute main character. Oh yeah and JJ is trying to get his hands on it.

everyone involved in the movie knew nothing about why people play assassin's creed
no one actually cares about the modern setting, you play for the cool historical settings
yet the modern shit made up most of the movie

Portal would only work as some sort of introspective arthouse shit, it could never justify even a medium sized budget.
>Oh yeah and JJ is trying to get his hands on it.

Fucking no

>JJ is trying to get his hands on it.
I hope he succeeds and becomes the next shyamalan

Forgot
>get a retarded plot

Toldya already. Dan Brown novels were pretty bad in an of themselves and they made terrible films. Then some game writer twat takes notes from those books to write his games (which are predictably horrible by book or even movie standards) and then someone else takes notes from those games to write his own movie script.
To wit, it's a copy of a copy of a Dan Brown novel. Of course it's fucking horrible.

>normies like ass creed therefore I forbid myself to enjoy it

typical

Assassin's Creed is boring as shit and they were idiots for trying to make it into a movie

Then you haven't played one in over 10 years. Nowadays they are about as challenging as picrelated

So why does Columbus end up as a bad guy?

I don't understand the point of this shit

>hmm let's make a video game movie! Uuuuhhhh anyone know what it's about? No well fuck it let's see the game trailer on youtube and go from there

Call me autism but I actually believed that Peter Jackson would have made the Halo movie fucking amazing and the lore would have been intact

There is. It's called Game of Thrones.

Even if that were true, normies have fucking horrible taste. Now tell me you don't like Justin Bieber so I can call you a contrarian.

Seen any... elves?
lol

When I played the first AC game all those years ago, I remember saying to myself, "I hope they don't try and make this into a movie, it's going to be terrible"

Then they fucking made it.
Video games don't make good movies, but certain movies can turn into great video games.

For example, the Friday the 13th video game that's about to come out look like a ton of fun.

>You could probably turn Mass Effect into a half way decent stop the evil aliens scifi movie.

That's mainly because Mass Effect is Star Wars with the Star Wars name filed off

I just hope they don't make The Last of Us into a movie. The game is already a cinematic experience.

1) Assassins Creed was never good
2) The movie is primarily about the part of Assassins Creed people barely tolerate in the first place

oh geez you said the magic word

Logan's got that niche covered anyway

oh shit

I enjoy the games, but you have to admit the plot is convoluted mess and the characters (at least the present day one's) are bland as fuck

Ass Creed is not the Justin Beiber of video games. False equivalence.

But yeah not all Ass creeds are good; I only like the Ezio trilogy. But the Ezio trilogy was good. Its like grand theft auto staged in the Italian Renaissance.

Also, this isnt about normies' taste. This is about the tendency of Sup Forums to automatically dislike something JUST BECAUSE it's popular with normies, instead of judging the game (or thing) based on whether you personally enjoyed it.

Oh no, I browse Sup Forums every day and I like a thing that normies like! Someone call the fucking 4cops

it wouldn't. it'd probably make a pretty good novel, though. exploring morrowind to its full potential requires a shitload of exposition.

Shit movie.

I never knew I wanted this so badly

They're not good games.

Witcher series is great, especially the first two.

>What went wrong?
>vidya byword for shitty, casualware is made into D-grade schlock

nothing

People only thought Ass Creed had a good plot back before the whole sci-fi memory time traveling bullshit was leaked two weeks before release.

JUST

Sure, if you're a pleb. I bet you think National Treasure series is great too.

Adaptions are rarely better than their source material and the source material sucks.

The script.

I liked the assassins creed before they were Ubisofted after the first 2-3 games. But I do not know anyone who liked the future part of the story. That is what they did wrong.

What they should have done is either keep it out completely or introduce it in the beginning and then not show it again until the very end.

I also don't agree that the director was good. The way he handled the action scenes was very jumpy. And the decision to jump between the future and the past was absolutely awful way to present a film.

So:
>get a bad director
>get a bad script
>make a pg-13 movie

That is what went wrong.

get a load of this guy

the games are somewhat enjoyable because you can be active when playing. that's what makes the retarded story bearable. once you remove the interactive element, all you are left with is the experience of watching some annoying guy play a video game for 2+ hours. who the fuck likes doing that?

>Binding of Isaac
it'sd literally a string of scenes lifted from better flicks: cube, alien, the relic...

I agree that anderson got one thing right though and that is that you DO NOT make a 1:1 adaptation. take the title and the concept and do something different. you can't film a game and have it remain interesting.

Planescape Torment has a better story than any movie.

>Be about a video game from 2003

I want to promote a video game industry such as there was in the 90's. I want companies to put out all KINDS of games. It's filthy for companies to just try and land 1 decent game, then try to retire on the thing as a 45 year global franchise.

>Basically in order to make the plot of skyrim into a movie, it would need so much alteration, that it would barely resemble the game.
I think that's his point

If only James Rolfe didn't shit the bed.