Hey lads, I want to become an MP and run in the next election

Hey lads, I want to become an MP and run in the next election.

How do I maximise my chances of winning my constituency and are there any tips or tricks I should know?

The current incumbent is an SNP MP, he won with a whopping majority in 2015 but in the recent Holyrood election, the Conservatives came really close to unseating the current SNP MSP.

Wait, with what party?

>Trying to run against the SNP

Good fucking luck lmao

MUH INDEPENDENCE etc

Do whatever the fuck you like, if the idiots in your local area are SNP/Labour inclined they'll vote for those parties. If you aren't in those parties then tough shit.

Safe seats are given to loyal party minions, swing seats entrusted with the hard enforcers. Are you one of those yet?

They lost their seat to the libdems where I am.

If you want to run with a party, you'll need to have been with them as a active member for several years.

Secondly, the only chance you'll get elected is with the Tories or the SNP. The SNP aren't going to take your politics (I'm assuming you don't like their politics as you're running against them), and the Tories don't let random shits run.

One of my friends was up for election in Glasgow, and got about 300 votes. The winner got tens of thousands. This takes years of planning lad, so start now.

Unless you're in the borders, Conservatives have no chance and the best shot you have is running as Labour and hoping the SNP fad wears off by 2020.

No, Tories shot up dramatically.

probably won their seat against libdems too.

A few years ago I spoke to one of the chairmen of the Young Conservatives, who said he planned to run in Cities of London and Westminster

Usually it works like this

First you have to be a member of the party and be really fucking sad, like attend every single conference and help organize local events and shit

Election 1: brownnose the local candidate, hand out leaflets, help canvass, do really boring shit, but establish yourself as a committed activist

Election 2: If you impressed enough people you're allowed to stand as a candidate, but you will get parachuted off to some unwinnable constituency on the other side of the country, like Liverpool Walton or something. This is a test to see how hard you are willing to campaign even when you know you're obviously going to lose. If you say "I'm not going to win, there's no point campaigning" then you fucking failed

Election 3: If you've done everything correctly then you should be able to win the selection of the local party in the constituency you actually want to contest, but keep in mind that you'll be up against like 5 people who have done the same as you. Promise to be lobby fodder for the PM, while at the same time representing local interests, and you should be fine

Good luck fampai, but it goes without saying you have to be very articulate, have no skeletons and the closet and not be an autist

Also if you didn't go to Oxbridge (either undergrad or postrgrad), or didn't study Politics at a top university, or haven't worked in Westminster before, then you can probably forget it

>being a tory cuck

alright fag

anyone remember emo?

I don't think that's the case now and I don't think it's ever been the case.

Aren't redbricks the in thing for MPs now?

best advice I can give is apply to be a JP 'justice of the peace' (don't know how qualified you are though). Its voluntary but you get a lot of respect for it and can even get something of a reputation with your council. Its also quite interesting if you are willign to work at it.

SO FUCKING GLAD CAMPAIGNING STARTED HRRRRRGH

Nah m8, run as a Tory but when and if the timing is right defect to UKIP or some shit.

Also while being a Tory I can go against shit like immigration bills, go head to head with lefties like Rees-Mogg.

Lie to the people, get elected, do nothing

M8, the SNP elected hordes of 20 year old shitheads with no political qualifications yet most in the Central Belt will be re-elected in 2020.

I'm pretty sure that isn't a requirement. People want a voice that will stand up for their area and fight for their constituency.

Nah, the pole's as greasy as it's ever been

If an MP didn't do any of those three, it's usually because they're a self-made entrepreneur or something who runs their own company and was a millionaire by 30

I doubt OP is one of those though

1. Are you a member of a rich or well-connected family?
2. Are you part of a family with a net worth of over 100 million dollars?

If 1 and 2, congratulations on your successful career in politics.
If only 1 or 2, consider running in smaller venues and working your way up to establish the connections and money necessary.
If neither 1 or 2, LOL what the fuck are you thinking?

That's because the SNP are a bunch of amateurs, I'm talking about local selections

If you turn up at Conservative central office with no qualifications and no political experience and ask to be made the candidate you'll be laughed out the door

UK is different from Burgerland, you don't have to be a millionaire to run for office

What qualifications would be recommended? Also you could start off small such as what said, hand out leaflets at rallies, convince people to vote for [X] and promote the candidate. If they see you are committed and like what you're doing then something may happen.

Good idea.

The autists need representation.

Off the top of my head, Gordon Brown, John Major, Jack Straw, John Prescott, Guto Bebb, Peter Aldous, Johnny Mercer and David Morris never went anywhere near Oxbridge and didn't study law.

Decent A-Levels, a degree in something like History or Politics. I'd recommend a university in London as you can visit Westminster in the meantime and maybe get some sort of job there and build up connections. If you get a first you can go to Oxbridge for postgraduate

The shit stuff has to be done first, but if you work hard at it you can make a name for yourself with the local association as someone they may want to select in future

LETS START OUR OWN PARTY

I'm Scottish, when I was at my academy I got Advanced Higher in all subjects. I didn't do A-Levels.