Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZngDM85e-Ek
youtube.com/watch?v=iZfayydpIKc
nerdist.com/how-long-was-andy-dufresnes-tunnel-in-the-shawshank-redemption/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I take that arm off, will you die?

It would be extremely painful.

>Go hiking the grand canyon alone without telling anyone where I was going and not bringing any sort of communication device
>get your dumbass stuck and forced to cut off your own arm with a swiss army knife
>get a movie made about you

Honestly I'd just cut my throat...less pain that way.

act as well as james franco?

probably

wh didnt the eagles just fly the boulder to mordor

He did it with a swiss army knife? How did he get through the bone?

I did not see the movie

No I wouldn't be able to cut my arm off, but I'd never be stupid enough to find myself in that situation either.
Not taking anything away from the man, but if you do that kind of thing for kicks or whatever, at some point something awful is going to happen.
I'm fine with simply drinking alone and dying of a massive heart attack, a situation I'm fine with being stupid enough to find myself in; I'm not cutting off my numb arm either

The really crazy part is that Danny Boyle directed the movie for some reason

With great difficulty.

I could do it to this soundtrack youtube.com/watch?v=ZngDM85e-Ek

he snapped them by twisting his arm around iirc

He didn't, he went through the tendon at the joint.

Like a chicken.

You can't box Danny in.

Danny Boyle doesn't lack edge, so why not him?

youtube.com/watch?v=iZfayydpIKc

I'm not sure. I don't know if I want to live that badly.

I got a big arm.

i'm not sure i would be desperate enough to do it. i feel like i'd accept my fate and die peacefully. of course, i've never been in a situation like that so i'm just guessing. the sheer terror of being trapped could give me the adrenaline rush i needed to go through with it.

lol he will forever be the guy that shit his pants

for your tiny dick

please love me

Not a chance.
Also this. Besides this extremely painful choice to save his life, why did he deserve a movie? His own stupidity brought him there. I'd never go hiking in the middle of nowhere.

I would at least try out of boredom

he got the movie because he wrote a book and was on oprah. his story was sensational because all people knew was that he was hiking, got his arm trapped, and had to cut it off. the movie gave the details from the book about how he didn't tell people where he was and acted like a fucktard

Because the eagles didn't owe him shit

You'll probably die from a blood vessel bursting. According to my nurse mother and a friend who lost her husband to it it's pretty horrific. Depending on where the burst is you might not just die. Like she had a guy come in vomiting and shitting massive amounts of blood. Poor fucker. He didn't make it obviously.

>"deserve" a movie
they're about telling interesting tales
the fact that we're still talking about this incident means it was interesting

I'd just lift the rock with my other hand. I bench 300, it's not a problem.

This may be stupid but could he have cut at the rock instead?

I would just use my saliva to erode the rock to be honest.

i've always loved you

i recall that he tried that but it would have taken him months to get through it.

was he trapped under a rock or a mountain?

Why didn't he just shout for help

It was a pretty thick rock. He was more likely to cause the rock to wedge in more tbqhwy

imagine if after cutting off his arm he just fell deeper lmao

andy only did about 1/64'' which is why it took him 17 years.
nerdist.com/how-long-was-andy-dufresnes-tunnel-in-the-shawshank-redemption/

I wouldn't be doing something as retarded as mountain climbing out in the wilderness by myself in the first place

He did

He was pinned in a slot canyon by a rock.

but why didn't he shout louder?

This should have been an op, but wait a few days until the yous come back for even better results

imagine if someone found him JUST as he cut off his arm

>as soon as he stabs himself
>HEY MAN DO YOU NEED HELP

youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

i'd probably pass out from shock and hopefully die in my sleep

my sides

i lol'd

At least he got a better deal than Nutty Putty cave guy.

does he have a brain like at all? he has to be missing half a brain to fall into a crack first of all and to get his arm stuck behind a rock, but how do you handle the pain of getting through your nerves and breaking your bone like a twig

>how do you handle the pain
BALLS OF STEEL
A
L
L
S

O
F

S
T
E
E
L

>how do you handle the pain
your body goes into shock and you don't feel anything

This is where depression comes in handy

This happened kinda close to where I live.

he was very hungry and thirsty and survival instincts likely took over. happens to dogs too, chewing their legs off and all that

It was extremely painful

>i'd probably pass out from shock
Me too. I'm squeamish as fuck and would pass out just from seeing a bit of my own blood probably.

>Americans actually do this

if your dick was stuck under a boulder and the only way to escape is to cut your dick off, would you do it?

Yeah, I've done crazier stuff.

Cut off his arm? Of course.

>implying my dick is big enough to got stuck under anything

LMAO @ (YOU)

He was delirious, dehydrated and hungry, also survival instinct, when you're in a state like that you can get high from it. But yeah breaking your own bones and cutting through them? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Did he ever go back and see if his arm was still there or if insects dragged it away

How the hell didnt he bleed out?

Yeah he went back with fuck loads of people and they moved the rock and recovered his arm. Abviously they couldn't re-attach it though.

>Yeah he went back with fuck loads of people
so he did learn something, eh

He broke both his bones in his arm by wrenching himself away from the wall before starting to cut it off. In the film is sounds fucking horrible.

That's cool. I'd want to give my arm a proper burial. Or maybe have it stuffed.

>tfw had to have finger cut into cause infection
>they dig around and stuff
>suddenly feel a white hit whip of pain hit everywhere in my brain at once
>high pitch ringing
>turns out they hit a nerve

the part where he has to cut his nerve is so accurate it's scary

I'd take it to a baseball field and use it as a bat.

What's the most pain you've ever eperienced?

Mine was when this qt in high school rejected me ;_;

pussy

sucks man, can't really relate though. I had a knife go into my hand once right in the fatty area between the pointer and thumb and it was never painful at all, the nerves got severed clean with zero damage to mobility. Numb for a few months then had full sensation. Only pain I ever felt for the entire healing process was some mild pain with the stitches when they tugged as part of my hand's movements.

how do you feel when somebody try to make you mad and then they ask "touch a nerve?"

same, though it was in grade school for me

He wasn't in the budget

Not in the grand canyon pleb

but how did his arm got stuck in the first place?

watch the movie based on the documentary based on the true story

it was a big rock

for him

guess he's lucky it didn't crush his head between the wall instead of his arm

Why did he jump in?

pic

I broke my arm in 5th grade.

very carefully

Quite a bit of story. I have epilepsy and about 3 years ago I was outside and had a seizure, when I came to I couldn't get up because everything was hazy and I didn't find out until later I broke my shoulder. At first they thought it was my elbow, because they couldn't get xrays, and I could only lift my arm not even half way up for a whole year because the surgeon didn't want to go through with the surgery. Worst part from all that was getting Xrays, it felt like I was being stabbed in the shoulder, then after the surgery I could barely move because everything hurt but that was just temporary and I had pain killers

Cracking the arm WITH NO SURVIVORS

The real a actually does go on about how incredibly retarded he was for not telling anyone where he was going.
He makes a serious point to tell people ro never never do that. He says he doesn't want anyone to make that mistake.

this is the same bullshit "criticism" people make about into the wild. the protagonist fully acknowledges his stupidity put him in a horrible situation, its still interesting how he dealth with the situation he found himself in.

>that moment when he cuts through the nerve

THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

How come everyone seems to be so cool when it comes to pain? The thought of being in this situation terrifies me yet people here are cracking light hearted jokes. Am I just too sensitive?

To be terrified on a funposting thread, yeah, you must be a big pussy.
Of course people will make jokes, that's the nature of the board. Of someone were in an actual situation, then the context would change and natural survival reactions would happen.

Can't say I've ever been exposed to blindsiding pain or any truly traumatic injury but all the pain I've felt in my life has been pretty easy to manage. It's annoying to be sure but I don't let the pain rule me, it's just a sensation like any other. Getting worked up over the pain doesn't help anybody, certainly not you. If anything it seems to make the pain worse since you're focusing and honing in on it.

Not that I'm going to pretend to be internet tough guy, it's impossible to know how I'll act until I'm actually in a situation like Franco and it's part of the reason the guy got a movie made of him because few people could do what he did (surviving helps make a good movie too).

I still want this movie to happen.