This show is THE most comfy show I've ever seen. Discuss

This show is THE most comfy show I've ever seen. Discuss.

I liked it but I got to season 9 and sort of just stopped. It got really depressing and Rebecca was a terrible replacement for Diane.

Why that is true, user. You win a cookie.

I like Woody but don't know why they fired Coach

God called coach back to the dugout

It does get depressing and also kind of repetitive but there are some good episodes in the last couple of seasons. The final especially.

9 is the weakest season, imho, 10 is better and 11 (the final season) has some really hilarious episodes. Push through.

Oldfag here and I actually cried when they showed the last episode and Sam said they were closed.

Can't think of any other show ending that made me that emotional before or since.

I tried watching a few seasons and just couldn't get into it. And I love Frasier and have rewatched many times!

It seems very repetitive and uninteresting (for me) setting the entire show in a bar. I think during the first 2 seasons, there was only a handful of occasions where there was another set. (was this the norm for shows in the 80s or was it just Cheers?)

Also I didn't like any of the characters. And the jokes weren't funny.

Is it just me? Should I give it another shot?

It's one of those shows that's really "of its time" and so doesn't really hold up to modern eyes.

Those who wete around at the time can watch because they understand the period, having lived through it.

It'd be like me teying to watch and thoroughly enjoy the Mary Tiler Moore show today. I'd get the "feel" of the jokes but they'd lose a lot of the impact they'd have had at the time because things that were a massive deal back then (unemployment, fear of war, nuclear family etc) just aren't a big deal now.

That makes sense. Thanks. Are there any good old sitcoms that you could recommend?

Is Carla meant to be attractive?

But there's nothing period specific about Cheers. It's about a bunch of people hanging out in a bar, it could have been made in any era. I'm only 26 and watched the show for the first time last year, and I liked it and found it funny because of the good writing and great cast.

Wrapped up watching the entire series from start to finish the day before yesterday, took a few months at about a season a week. Some notes: had lots of big laughs, really enjoyed it. Drank lots of beer (from a beer mug) while watching (with bowls of pretzels and beer nuts on hand to add to the immersion, sat on a bar stool during most viewing too, no degenerate couch slouching for me), developed a new appreciation for Carla, ended up empathizing with Frasier the most, Harry Anderson still seems out of place, have crush on Shelly Long now, and can't wait to do it again some day. Also considering building a replica of the bar in my basement.

>ywn find a place where everybody knows your name
>and they're always glad you came

Why even go on bros?

Golden Girls is kino, you should try that. Sophia is a legend. Rose is yhe funny kind of dumb. Blanche is your slutty aunt and Dorothy is basically a human putdown machine.

ahhh to be this young and wrong about things again... but don't worry, your tastes, and opinions, will change as you get older and are able to open your minds to fine things not yet in your comfort zone.

I love Cheers, this and Taxi were comfy, not as bland as friends and it doesn't feel like the same episode over and over like Frasier (how often can these characters keep just missing each other? apprently every episode)

Also i wish i had a bar like this. Honestly it sort of reminds me a bit of Sup Forums. Just tons of inane conversations and people of all different walks of life chiming in.

My favorite character was Frasier on this show, I just love how he became a fucking drunk, like he lost his job and girlfriend and just sort of is there until he met lilth, who rarely was at the bar anyway

>unemployment, fear of war, nuclear family >aren't a big deal now

what planet are you communicating from?

Rose is why i have a crush no betty white. I really hope she lives to be 100, and i want to jack off in front of her

kys

No, she's meant to be an overstretched single mom who's trying her best to deal with life after being dealt an extremely shitty hand.

She's irascible because she knows Diane is talking bullshit and that's why she's the only one constantly calling her on it.

fear of war hasn't been a thing in the US for awhile now and even when we were at war, it wasn't as televised as it was during the Vietnam era, also the nuclear family is destroyed too.

seriously, this? kys my man

Thanks ;)

>It's one of those shows that's really "of its time" and so doesn't really hold up to modern eyes.
That's wrong. All in the Family is also one that holds up very well.

hey everybody

no, she's an archetype... of a total bitch dago barmaid with a bunch of bastard kids, enjoy her for what she is, she's not asking you to like her or find her attractive. Is that what viewers don't get these days?

MASH is pretty comfy too

this

just finished Cheers a couple of days ago, started Taxi tonight

>NORM!
>Norman.

Diane gets me every time.

(YOU!!)

It's just a tough time: The characters never end up happy and are stuck in the same god damned bar no matter what. Norm and Cliff are the epitomes of depressing pathetic wastes of people. Sam is a womanizer in the worst way who still relives his glory days. Rebecca is ambitious but often held back by her own stupidity and general character flaws. Carla has like 9 kids and none of them are going anywhere. Then there's Frasier, the histrionic psychiatrist who clearly has a drinking problem. Coach is dead. It just gets sadder and sadder with every episode.

>fat man enters bar
>Americans clap
>what do you want to drink?
>how about a beer?
>audience in hysterics

sit and drink beer while watching the show every night- it's almost just like walking in and sitting down at the bar as a regular

literally
>Reddit:The Post

Why is this the best shot in the opening? It just fills me with such positive feelings.

you may need professional help to overcome your depression, my friend

good one

>4 minutes to sadly reply
>good one

KYS loser.

why do you come here? honestly?

To laugh at pathetic fucks like you.

for you

This looks like the Chaturbate logo.

Perfect show to watch at the end of a hard days work. I feel this show really made me through some tough times.

sounds like you're living the life there buddy, take care and get help

Anyone have a link to a good DVD rip torrent?

I had the whole series but it was really inconsistent in quality, some would be decent rips others fuzzy low res rips

Hey Nahm

People who never worked or hung out in a bar on a regular basis do not get or understand this show.

but I don't live on the upper west side and I love Seinfeld.

>tfw you will never experience going to a bar where everybody knows your name every night for 11 years

I hear ya. I've been a bartender/server for almost 10 years now. I'm almost done my degree but part of me feels like I'm meant to bartend, like, forever.

The people, the tips, the atmosphere. Early, hung over mornings and talks about nothing late into the night.

It's something special, my friend. It's something special.

Diane was a huge cunt.

>tfw no idea how to mingle with people at a bar

George?

tfw i dont drink and most bars are the opposite of comfy/cozy here.
not to mention the patrons..

Good series right off the bat.

Did you know it was one of the lowest rating shows in its first season?

The head of NBC, Brandon Tartikoff, had the good sense to keep Cheers on and it naturally became the hit show we all now know.

It also spun off into Fraser, which lasted 11 years, so Tartikoff had good foresight.

As well as that, Cheers also helped Seinfeld find its audience. Seinfeld was on right after Cheers during its earlier seasons.

Alright, that's all I know about Cheers. Bye.

Brandon Tartikoff... is that a Jewish name?