Movie done after the 70's

>movie done after the 70's
>it's in black and white to make it feel more 'artsy'

What's the oldest film you've ever seen OP?

I bet OP hasn't watched anything from before the 70s and that was either Star Wars or The Godfather.

>movie made in 1968
>it's in Black and White because they didn't have enough money to shoot in color

Roundhay Garden Scene

I watched The Passion of Joan of Arc little while ago. I liked it even though i don't actively try to watch older films

I have to admit, I don't like when a movie is in black and white when it came out after the black and white era. It really does seem like a lame gesture at 'artsy', and aesthetically, it usually just seems to come with a really slow, boring kind of film.

>Shoots movie in color
>Makes it black and white so it becomes a film

>Soviet film made in 1972
>random scenes are in black and white for absolutely no apparent reason
>Soviet Union was incapable of supplying it's top film director with color film stock

>what is sheindlers list

Two films use it really well. Paper Moon and Elephant Man.

never heard of it

Dead Man looks beautiful in greyscale.

not really

Some movies like Eraserhead or Werckmeister Harmonies wouldn't make sense to exist in any other format than black and white because of the narrative.
Nolan's Following is black and white because it's easier to light a noir movie if you shoot in black and white if you under a tight budget,
Villeneuve's Polytechnique was shot in black and white to be able to fully show the mass shootings happen like they were without glorifying the violence and blood in camera (like Tarantino)

only film school students would shoot in black and white "just because"

Did Elephant Man really gain anything from being in black and white? Some films are shot like that because they simply have no budget, like movies made in post-soviet countries

Explain Down by Law or Stranger Than Paradise

The exceptions are homages to black-and-white movies

Because of easier and more sustainable make-up.
Just applying the make up took about 6 hours and if they needed to color blend it perfectly for the movie it would take even more.
And it's easier for the general audience to look at a heavily disfigured man in black and white rather than a realistic vibrant color palette.

Also a cheap way of transporting you to late 19th century London.

anyone who uses the word "artsy" in a post is more then likely an underage kiddo

Night of the Living Dead was also made like that.

>Implying black and white photography is not vastly superior to the color one.

Pleb

Fucking sickening

I'll take "what is Raging Bull?"

I hate the word 'artsy', admittedly, but I think it kinda sometimes applies not as a pejorative for interesting or experimental works of art but more for a kind of obvious or middle brow stab at what someone ill-informed assumes is an artistic look or approach.

Or also artsy could refer more to like an arts and crafts or inferior neighborhood art fair aesthetic, like shitty paintings moms would like and crafts and zany sculptures of dragons you'd see at Burning Man or some festival.

black and white makes every film better regardless of content

Of course not. What the fuck else are you going to watch?

Any meme movie you can name is probably shit

thats entry level pleb mindset.

>At the moment, I don't think colour film is anything more than a commercial gimmick. I don't know a single film that uses colour well. In any colour film the graphics impinge on one's perception of the events. In everyday life we seldom pay any special attention to colour. When we watch something going on we don't notice colour. A black-and-white film immediately creates the impression that your attention is concentrated on what is most important. On the screen colour imposes itself on you, whereas in real life that only happens at odd moments, so it's not right for the audience to be constantly aware of colour. Isolated details can be in colour if that is what corresponds to the state of the character on the screen. In real life the line that separates unawareness of colour from the moment when you start to notice it is quite imperceptible. Our unbroken, evenly paced flow of attention will suddenly be concentrated on some specific detail. A similar effect is achieved in a film when coloured shots are inserted into black-and-white.

>Colour film as a concept uses the aesthetic principles of painting, or colour photography. As soon as you have a coloured picture in the frame it becomes a moving painting. It's all too beautiful, and unlike life. What you see in cinema is a coloured, painted plane, a composition on a plane. In a black-and-white film there is no feeling of something extraneous going on, the audience can watch the film without being distracted from the action by colour. From the moment it was born, cinema has been developing not according to its vocation, but according to purely commercial ideas. That started when they began making endless film versions of classics.

very lucid reasoning. also very on point with current fad of using neuroscience findings about color on movies, the very same way they are used in marketing. color isnt used artistically but as an attention grabbing device.

>old man doesn't like new technology:the rant

Yeah, fuck beautifully and aesthetically pleasing shit am I right? I like my movies like I like my day job. Boring and practical as fuck!!

>i love aesthetics!
>post kids movie still

lol user, just lol.

you think video games are art too, right?

It fucking can be if it fucking wants too. If someone is trying to get a particular message across, it's fucking art.

God damn, you're narrow minded.

Star Wars and Godfather are from before the 70's... WTF!

Nebraska is a pretty recent film that uses black and white and it definitely fits in with the overall mood.

yeah i agree black and white movies are boring, literally nothing happens, i also love michael bay

This was fucking kino

Was it? I ignored it as obvious oscar b8, and considering I've never heard it mentioned since i assumed it was just oscar b8.

so true

>in real life, colour isn't imposed on you despite being present
>but in films it is
>that breaks the immersion
was Tarkovsky the first film troll?

La Haine and Raging Bull are two contemporary films that I would argue are wonderfully presented in black and white

Don't forget all of Béla Tarr's films.

>low IQ normie makes a thread
>uses simpsons picture

lmao

kevin smith's clerks

>trying this hard to justify the fact that you're a poor faggot in a shithole country and can't afford to have your flicks coloured

>movie made in 1968
>it's in color and black and white due to lighting problems