Who is objective best jazz artist of all time

Who is objective best jazz artist of all time

Pic perhaps related, you tell me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbKuZTYIk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Joe Pass

Wes Montgomery

I don't think Miles Davis was the best Jazz Artist of all time. I think he was the best bandleader, but he relied a lot on the talent he surrounded himself with in order to realize his vision. Kind of Blue would have never happened without Bill Evans' influence. My vote is for Evans or Coltrane. Both in influence and musicianship.

Bobby Mcferrin

Charlie Parker dude

ellington

Coleman

Oscar Peterson

charles mingus

Objectively this. He defined what everyone does today. It’s like that old bullshit they say about philosophy all being footnotes to Plato’s work... Jazz is footnotes to Bird’s playing.

There’s even an argument for Louis Armstrong being the GOAT. I mean, when Miles himself was asked who the greatest were he just said those two guys - Louis and Charlie.

Ryo Fukui

this

my boi

It's Charlie Parker.

>no armstrong
im disappointed, /mew/.

Bill Evans for sure. Just listen to the Live at the Village Vanguard compilation

Parker or Coltrane

definitely not miles. he was a good bandleader but didnt contribute to the music itself as much as someone like Coltrane.

It's objectively either Coltrane, or Parker, or Armostrong

ma nibba

>13:24:32
Nice

>20 posts in and no mention of Dizzy

shame on you all

most popular =/= the best

Because he'll always be the Nr. 2 Bebop guy to Parker's Nr. 1. One of the greatest players in one of the greatest musical movements of all time, no doubt.

Coltrane for sure. He perfected every type of jazz that he made. Personally, I'm more of a Herbie guy though.

parker was a slightly better player but dizzy was equally as inventive and innovative imo. His playing style has become practically standard for jazz trumpet players today

Miles also did that. With more types.

Coltrane had more actual instrumental ability though.

don't talk about things you don't understand
ah thank god

the only reason you faggots post about Miles, Mingus, etc. is because you're a bunch of album consuming teenagers

it's fucking pathetic

So did Anthony Braxton. And Oscar Peterson. And Art Tatum. But they don't touch the breadth of quality work Miles put out.

herbie hancock

>Art Tatum
seriously

Coltrane didn't release an album like Doo-Bop.

Definitive GOATS

>Alto Sax - Charlie Parker
>Tenor Sax - Coltrane
>Trumpet - Dizzy
>Trombone - Wycliffe Gordon
>Drums - Art Blakey
>Piano - Oscar Peterson

bass I really don't know enough about to have a qualified opinion

If you think there is an "objective best", you didn't understand jazz.

What do you mean?

Justin Trosper

bird stays
shorter over coltrane
pops over dizzy
jj over gordon
williams over blakey
art tatum is god

In terms of influence probably Charlie Parker.
In terms of technique then Parker/Gillespie/Tatum/Coltrane and probably a ton more, there's a ridiculous amount of technical players in jazz.
Overall I'd say Coltrane but that's just my favourite.

Miles or Mingus

>art tatum is god
As a soloist, absolutely, but Peterson's group recordings are better than Tatum's.

They both put out quite a few mediocre group records, but each at their best I'd pick Tatum. Those records with Webster and Eldridge top all the Peterson stuff.

>As a soloist, absolutely, but Peterson's group recordings are better than Tatum's.
There's just more of them because OP lived longer. Listen to the AT group sessions box set.

Yeah, Tatum at his best, solo or in a group, is the best. I love Ben Webster's recordings with Peterson as well, his, I dunno, sparse but strong and expressive sound seems to be a great vehicle for letting amazing pianists express themselves.
I have. My impression is that it's good because Art Tatum is god, and the rest are all great players, but I'm rarely impressed by their group performance. It's either Tatum doing Tatum, which is of course fantastic, or the rest of them just being great players while Tatum stays inconspicuous until his next solo.

I think on the Webster recording, it's fairly interesting how much space Tatum actually leaves. Like he avoids the lower octaves of the piano which leaves the bass more space to more around, and the leaves enough rhythmic sparcity to make the drums's swing important. He doesn't leave that sort of space on a lot of trio recordings, but on that session I think he's really playing with the band.

Absolutely. Maybe it's because Webster's drawn-out sound sort of urges him to play over it and with in these shorter portions, without overtaking it or trying to squeeze much inbetween. I don't know shit about music theory, admittedly, and I'm pretty new to jazz.

what happened to the /blindfold/ revival?

everybody forgetting the true GOAT, Eric Dolphy

>*plays annoying noises for 40 min*
every Dolphy album ever

Monk

Coltrane. He's not my favorite but he's the best.

for any trumpet players in here, Gansch and Wynton met each other yesterday and played a little bit and it was super cute

Coltrane had a few hit and misses tho
>Oscar Peterson
As the other anons stated, he is basically Art Tatum lite.
true, Kind of Blue would have never been good without Bill's vamps and voicings

true, but you could also say the same about coltrane to some extent

imagine my favourite things without mccoy tyner, for example

>imagine my favourite things without mccoy tyner, for example
true, I preferred McCoy's solo than Coltrane's entire solo segment desu.

>elitism at it's purest

>Dolphy
>annoying noises
Youre out of your mind. I can see how Dolphy can seem out there because he plays big intervals unlike someone like Coltrane. But in terms of pure musicianship, he is on par with coltrane. Not to mention he died at 36 before having the batshit insane jazz phase that Coltrane had before he died.

this solo blew my mind the other day

youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbKuZTYIk

>coltrane had a few hit and misses

like what?

THIS

>Coltrane had a few hit and misses tho
He's not perfect, but what jazz musician has only hits though?

His free-jazz playing style/experiments post Ascension is kind of meh. Even based McCoy had to distance from him later.

>Duke Ellington
>in the running
>As the other anons stated, he is basically Art Tatum lite
The hell he is, he's got a very distinct playing style that doesn't mirror Tatum's much.

>based McCoy had to distance from him later.

thats misleading. Based Coltrane replaced him with his wife

> His free-jazz playing style/experiments post Ascension is kind of meh

Objectively wrong. I could understand if you said Ascension is kind of meh. But his post-Ascension stuff? "Meditations", "Live at the village vanguard again", "Interstellar Space" all came out after Ascension.

>based McCoy had to distance from him later.
thats misleading. Based Coltrane replaced him with his wife

> His free-jazz playing style/experiments post Ascension is kind of meh
Objectively wrong. I could understand if you said Ascension is kind of meh. But his post-Ascension stuff? "Meditations", "Live at the village vanguard again", "Interstellar Space" all came out after Ascension.

bumping good thread

thoughts on lee morgan? I've underappreciated him until recently

The big four would be like:

Armstrong
Bird
Trane
Miles

I love all of them but I probably prefer Miles the most because he understood how important style is.

why armstrong over dizzy?

no one plays like louis anymore whilst EVERYONE plays like dizzy

The Sidewinder album is god tier

>Mingus
You are the edgiest faggot of all, though.

This thread is giving me massive deja vu.