If the lightsaber is a Jedi's weapon then why do the Sith also use them, shouldn't they use something else?

If the lightsaber is a Jedi's weapon then why do the Sith also use them, shouldn't they use something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/samuel-l-jackson-mace-windu-fan-theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

while it's dumb that they do, at least 2/3 of non-sheev sith in the movies are confirmed fallen jedi

at least maul's was kind of different, and it made sense that he used that since he was being set against jedi

sheev definitely shouldn't have used one, though

Then shouldn't Vader technically be a fallen Jedi and not a true Sith?

Also Sheev had spinning, that was his weapon.

Can you just fuck off? We both know the answer.

The prequels weren't around yet and George didn't care when he was writing the them if they are consistent with the OT.

Why would a fallen Jedi be not allowed to become a Sith?

He was a Jedi, fell and joined the order of Sith, but kept his saber.

'Sith' wasn't even a thing in the OT.

You nerds put more mental effort into these movies than George did.

Not in the movies, but they were in the drafts. What they were was very iffy, and in the first draft there were just not-Jedi mercenaries that helped the not Sith Emperor take over the Republic.

The rule of 2 bullshit didn't come up until he started writing the prequels. And only came about because Vader was trying to betray the Emperor using Luke and the Emperor did the same in turn.

>Well they both stabbed each-other in the back in OT, so that means all Sith always stab each-other in the back and there are only 2 of them

Pottery man has done it again!

That Rule of 2 thing always seemed so stupid to me, wouldn't Palpatine want more disciples so he could have more potential successors instead of relying on one kid for 20 years?

George is a fucking moron, the rule of 2 exists literally only because Vader and the Emperor backstabbed each-other and he is an unoriginal hack. So now all bad guys have to backstab each-other like morons too.

Also, in the early drafts the Sith character, Prince Valorum, ends up helping Starkiller against the Empire because of the bond/history of the Jedi and Sith. That went out the window entirely by the time ANH was written.

He's not exclaiming it as a Jedi-only weapon, he's mocking Luke's assertion of being a Jedi.

The whole Throne Room scene in him trying to undermine Luke's understanding.

Cool headcanon

Not the user you replied to but how is that not the case? He's trying to get Luke to join him on the dark side, why would he not try to fuck with his head as much as he could? He and Vader basically bully Luke into fighting so that they can take advantage of his anger

That's the theme of the scene, m80. Go watch it again.

What are sith supposed to defend themselves with against a jedi, if not a lightsaber? They have no other weapons and you can't just use the force unless you're at Palpatine or Yoda power levels

>Not the user you replied to but how is that not the case
Because it's his own interpretation of the scene unsupported by anything official.

Cool headcanon.

>ROTJ
>Sheev talks about lightsabers dismissively, like they're cute toys
>makes him seem really badass that such a mighty weapon is mere child's play to him

>ROTS
>LOL JK ITS TREASON THEN! I HAVE A LIGHTSABER TOO

Also, does Sheev have backup lightsabers or something? Because he loses his out the window when he's fighting Dindu, but then later on he has it again to fight Yoda.

You do realize that most writers/directors don't do write ups/interviews wherein they explain the meaning behind each scene of the movie? Not sure if you realize that films are meant to be interpreted, a kid in grade school could tell you what that scene is trying to show? If its not the emperor trying to turn Luke through manipulation then what is it? You can't just say that we're wrong and offer no alternative, but perhaps I'm expecting too much from the average retard on Sup Forums

Saying it's a Jedi's weapon doesn't proclude it from being another group's weapon. That's not how English works.

>the writer didn't specifically rule out my headcannon, therefore it's true

Not literally, but the way he says it makes it sounds like he's scoffing at it. Like it's a puny toy. Like how someone with an armory of AR-15s and FALs would scoff at someone with an airsoft rifle.

>You do realize that most writers/directors don't do write ups/interviews wherein they explain the meaning behind each scene of the movie?
Yes.

>Not sure if you realize that films are meant to be interpreted
Yes

>a kid in grade school could tell you what that scene is trying to show?
Cool opinion.

>If its not the emperor trying to turn Luke through manipulation then what is it?
Here is a different one, this guy disagrees with you > You can't just say that we're wrong and offer no alternative
Yes I can. That's a stupid thing to get mad about. I don't even need to provide my own interpretation to point out your alternative is your own interpretation.

Not sure if you realize that films are meant to be interpreted. Not sure if you realize your interpretation is not necessarily the only one nor a correct one, though I understand you may be emotionally attached to your own interpretation.

> but perhaps I'm expecting too much from the average retard on Sup Forums
Rude. I am being overly accommodating and sufficiently explaining my case while you fly all over the place without making a point. Very rude.

>Saying it's a Jedi's weapon doesn't proclude it from being another group's weapon.
Cool strawman. I'm sure someone out there cares and will argue with you about it.

Lol ok, i'Il just wait for you to offer a real alternative to my "headcanon" instead of just writing the equivalent of "nuh-uh" on this North Korean candy making hookup board

>i'Il just wait for you to offer a real alternative
He doesn't have to, even though he already did it.

>"headcanon"
Putting your headcanon in quotations won't suddenly make it anything more than your own headcanon.

see

Yeah, I remember reading in one of those Star Wars visual dictionaries that he had multiple lightsabers at his disposal.
I always thought his was kind of cool looking.

I always saw it more patronising, of Luke and the Jedi as a whole, particularly alongside:

>"Much like your father's"

And look where he is now.

I can see that as well, and I'd say it's not mutually exclusive. I think he was mocking both Luke-as-a-Jedi and the Jedi as a whole, including their weaponry.

Handheld weapons were a joke to one who shoots lighting out their hands.

Then ofc, new trilogy George wrote in Count Dookie just threw that thing out of the window with everything else.

Like what, laserswords? Don't be ridiculous.

>>"Much like your father's"
They are talking about how he will ensure that Luke falls. The next line is something like "he will never be turned from the darkside."

Looks to me like he is telling Luke that he is a failed Jedi, just like his father, and he will fall, just like his father, and the saber is simply the symbol of the Jedi.

He is mocking the Jedi as a group.

That's fine. I can accept Palpatine being beyond their usage. But in light of the Sith being the ancient enemy of the lightsaber-wielding Jedi, one would assume their combat would be in part melee orientated.

Jorge could've gone a different route, ultimately he gave them both lightsabers

The early drafts describe both Palpatine and Yoda as basically "sorcerers."

Vader is the Black Knight, Luke is the White Knight, in training.

Knights fight with swords, sorcerers throw around lighting and magic at each other. Everything is an archetype to George.

Vader kept his saber? or you mean sheev

>"The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi." - Darth Sidious

Sidious refused to train Vader
Vader was really only a sith lord in name

At the time though, we didn't know that there was such a thing as Sith or an ancient order of evil dudes who were the opposite of the Jedi. Vader used a lightsaber because he was a fallen Jedi. The Emperor was just the Emperor, and we didn't know his background at all. All we knew was that he was an evil wizard who knew the dark side.

>Sheev using a lightsaber just to fuck with the jedi
Man he really is the greatest galactic troll ever

While I like this interpretation, it's just EU.

citation needed

We didn't, no. But since OP mentioned the Sith I think we're talking with forknowledge. I do distinctly remember Vader and Sheev referred to as Dark Lords of the Sith prior to the prequels, in some manual I think.

The OP is mocking George Lucas bro. And the Sith were even in the 1974 draft, in some form.

star wars just suffers from being a good film that got expanded to quickly

I was about 12 at the time, the EU had already started so I suppose the red lightsaber swinging Dark Jedi beyond Vader didn't feel off to me.

I can see how it could be jarring to those fans that were adults by the 90s, though.

Maybe it doesn't seem to fit with his statement there but what the fuck is a sith gonna do when a Jedi swings a lightsaber at him

>Vader and Sheev referred to as Dark Lords
Vader had been, in books and some other merchandising, I can't remember if Palpatine ever was. But at the time time, Sith wasn't a term that had been defined, it was just a title that Darth Vader had, and no one knew what it meant. There wasn't any lore about them being an ancient order of dark side users who were sworn enemies of the Jedi. Even in the prequel movies, the Sith aren't defined very well; all they tell us is that they're old, there are two of them, and the Jedi think they're evil.

I really want to see a powerful Jedi like Yoda manipulate a Kyber Krystal in their bare hand to form a blade without the use of a hilt.

Please rate my idea from ret0rded to 10

use the Force

>tfw too smart for lightsabers

6. Would've been cool for Yoda to do in Ep2 but still retarded

no, yoda fighting at all is retarded

Alright what about him manipulating it in several ways to fight dooku while keeping his feet on the fucking ground.

Is that too Green Lantern-esque?

I think for him to fight it would have to be a very force heavy way and not include a light saber.

I wouldnt even mind if he deflected dookus slashes with his hands + force

like he waves around his hands to block but actually doesnt touch the dookus blade

Sheev should have relied 100% on the Force to fight. Yoda using a saber is excusable because Jedi aren't supposed to use the Force as a weapon directly, with the intent to kill

not retarded, far away from being cool

This, I wanted to see Sheev fighting just by force pushing, choking and lighting.

If a sith is defending himself against a lightsaber he's already lost. They're supposed to be a covert evil, pulling strings and manipulating people and events from the shadows. I mean Sheev was one of the most powerful force users of all time, but that wasn't exactly common knowledge in the galaxy.

dooku using lightning sucked too, should have been sheevs thing.

This. They say jedi are peacekeepers and diplomats, so it stands to reason that the most powerful and wise of them all would be completely above and beyond the need for physical confrontation at all. Either just by showing up people either give up, head for the hills, or are willing to listen to him. If he absolutely must engage with someone, it needs to be like a leaf in the wind ninja shit where his whole style is not getting hit and being a little bit of the troll that he is when he first meets luke.

then explain Vader being always so gung-ho about cutting people in half

They retconned it to where Sheev was also a sith and only stopped using light sabers because he got old so he spent the rest of his years studying magic and shit. That's why he's so dismissive about light sabers because he has become beyond that. Is it s shitty incoherent retcon? Yes. But hey, at least we got spinning.

>Why is Vader, the fallen Jedi, acting like an edgy jedi?
Truly makes me take a moment to ponder.

>only stopped using light sabers because he got old

What if it was Luke that manipulated a Crystal in Ep8?

Forcing others to impale themselves, fight each other etc.

Nah, vader force choked people because he liked torturing them. What would stop an evil force user from crushing someone's heart, scrambling their brains, or just causing massive internal hemorrhages. I mean imagine being a jedi charging a sith master with your light saber and all of a sudden your bowels are torn out and thrown across a room. I mean that's obviously trying to be 4edgy8me, but isn't that what a sith is?

was Mace Windu the best fighter in the Order?

His lightsaber was purple.

Lucas introduced this and many other plot inconsistencies with the prequels. Better to just think of them as noncanon.

so?

Because they'd get sliced to pieces by a Jedi whom they can't just overpower with the Force. Even Sidious needed a saber to fend of Mace Windu and Yoda, because he couldn't just manhandle them with the Force.

And what if the Jedi's power level is comparabile, ala Sidious vs Yoda. What then? Just get your shit pushed in because you were too proud to use a Jedi weapon?

>single Jedi being comparable in power to a Sith Lord
>ever
you are a terrible Sith

>It's fifteen solid minutes of just Sheev throwing lightning at Yoda and Yoda catching it in a ball
That's cool too

So its purple.

>it's a 15 minute long fight to start with
George pls

Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord in history according to canon (new and old) and even he was matched by Mace and Yoda.

A Sith who doesn't use every weapon available out of pride is a fool and not a true Sith.

The Yoda palpatine fight is ~4 minutes long, 4 minutes of just them throwing things at each other with the force would still be stupid.

If air is a jedi's necessary resource to sustain life, then why do sith also use it?

The sith's main desire is to be top of the pyramid. It's inherent they will eventually backstab eachother when they surpass they're master

>If air is a jedi's necessary resource to sustain life
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW!?!

Dookus had the sexiest hilt

How so? Sidious still utilizes the force in the PT. Against novice Jedi, he probably can just take them with the force alone. Against Yoda, they both use every tool in their arsenal

why does he wear the mask?

>implying that green isn't the best lightsaber color

The concept of literally every force-user having a lightsaber is dumb prequel bullshit. There should be a wide variety of jedi/sith styles, not just variations of warrior-mage. Some who have the classic style, some who only use the force, some who have new cool weapons, some who have more of a support role, etc.

I want that in me

>Jackson says that Windu survived

You know, the character might have been boring, but I like Jackson enough for that to be okay with me

If I tried to pull that off would he die?

when did Jackson say that?

So people would care about who he was.

When he was hitting the kush.

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/samuel-l-jackson-mace-windu-fan-theory

Apparently George even signed off on it. Though it is George so that duplicitous at best since he's not at the helm any more.

God I hope VIII is good now that Abrahms is out

Sith also use them because not using them is a good way to get killed, unless you're Emperor Sheev-tier and can shoot lighting out of your fingers.

The first Sith were just fallen Jedi iirc

Palpatine had like five or six disciples, Vader just happened to be the best by far. Also, having too many strong disciples is a good way to set yourself up for an assassination.

Windu is Snoke confirmed?

Windu risking his life to save Palpatine is the funniest part of this very goofy scene.

>implying its not yaddle
Screen cap this

Thank god this terrible cartoon was never canon, and Disney didn't make it canon either.

It will be completely forgotten within a generation, thankfully.

don't take the bait.