Donnie Darko

I didn't understand shit in this movie

Anyone care to explain it to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave–particle_duality
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rabbits are evil.

From what I remember a lot of the story is cut out and is only in the directors cut or deleted scenes, having said that I haven't seen the movie in years but doesn't jake have some gift where he can see wormholes to different universes, in one he sees all the bad that will happen so he goes back to the old one and dies in his room when the plane engine falls on it to stop all the bad stuff from happening?

I could be completely wrong but thats what I remember

No need to understand this one, it is not a school lesson. Just enjoy (or don't, depending on your taste) and let the film sink in. Whatever you feel is probably pretty much what the film set out to make you feel. If art could be explained then we all would just read essays all the time.

I like this response.

I can understand why this movie is shit on a lot here, but does anyone else love the comfy atmosphere of the late 80s conservative town it takes place in? I cant fully explain it but it seems that all the main and side characters act and behave in a way that's completely believable without being too cliche.

How do you go from this

He was supposed to die, but for some reason he didn't, and since he didn't die, the universe was fucked up, so in order for the universe not to get fucked up, he had to die.

To this?

Dondy WAS the Darko

He didn't had the permission from the faggot bunny to die

According to the director - Aliens in the 5th dimension were experimenting with wormholes when shit got out of their control and they accidentally caused our dimension to become unstable. This caused our universe to split into two - the main universe and a tangent universe. The tangent universe is an exact replica of the main universe except for one genetic mutation (the jet engine) The movie takes place in the tangent universe where donnie is given super powers by the aliens who manipulate him and his friends into sending the jet engine through a worm hole in order to reset the space/time continuum.

i do
the setting just makes it

>but for some reason he didn't

Why would Frank wake him up if he's supposed to die?

>how does it feel to have a wacko for your son?
>wonderful!

Damn I wanna bang Gretchen so hard

The rabbit represented time. The comfy soundtrack and g.s. sweetheart love story representative of days gone by (which cannot be experienced again, just like the airplane engine could not be reassembled again). Donny broke Patrick Swayzes window, which showed he was a juvenile delinquent in one universe, but it also led to Swayze's arrest, which showed Donny was a private investigator vigilante in the other universe. The rabbit only showed up in the mirror which also shows two universes (it's like pottery).

I don't blame people for not understanding this film. I had to watch it twice myself to get all the subtleties. Inaccessible to most people, but it got a lot of popularity for the soundtrack and lighting.

>The rabbit only showed up in the mirror

Frank shows up in 4 different locations in the movie.

I meant the mirror, primarily. But also other places, yes. It's still representative of the dual nature of the universe(s)

>the dual nature of the universe

What is the dual nature of the universe?

>tfw she would never sit next to me

the way of nature and the way of grace?

Oh okay, thanks for the explanation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave–particle_duality

Richard Kelly used a wormhole in a mirror as a metaphor for wave-particle duality?

The fact that there are two universes. One with the broken jet engine, and one where the jet is OK, but time travel is possible. Objectively, there were two universes, but in the one universe, objectively, it was impossible for there to be multiple universes. Ergo, the rabbit (again, representing time).

kek, this made me laugh more than it should have

>I meant the mirror, primarily.

He doesn't show up in the mirror, primarily. He shows up in person, primarily. The mirror scene is very brief.

I never saw this movie, what's it about?

Then my interpretation doesn't hold water...

Still got a great soundtrack

So the point of the movie is that there were two universes?

>Then my interpretation doesn't hold water...

Why would where the rabbit shows up have anything to do with your interpretation?

is this bad? cause it don't look bad

It was a coming of age story during high school.

Autism

well Donnie for sure did bang her pretty hard

It's about Richard Kelly's fear of autism, the same way eraserhead is about Lynch's fear of having a child, or Enemy is about fear of women.

Familiar Faces

LOOOOVE, LOVE WILL TEAR US APART

The part I missed is that the main events in the film occur in the tangent universe, and Donnie has to actually guide the jet engine through the wormhole using his supernatural powers that were granted to him by whoeber created the tangent universe.

Also during the last scene everyone looks so sad because they can actually remember the events that occurred in the tangent universe. Donnie is happy cause he got to save Gretchen.

You gotta watch the directors cut which includes excerpts from the time travel book, and read the explainers on the web.

she was 16 in this movie

There is nothing wrong with wanting to fuck a 16 year old.

If Donnie fails to guide the object through the wormhole, which destroys the tangent universe, it just gets recreated and the events in the film supposedly would reoccur, ad infinitum.

But 16 is legal.

This is not true according to the director. He says everything that happens in the movie is the first time it's happened and the world would implode after 30 days because of its instability.

Which is funny because there's plenty of evidence in the movie to suggest they're in a time loop.

And what? Should I feel bad because I wanna bone her? In my country you can fuck everything above 14

This

good flick

this image is fake since the chick slept during the whole movie in the theater, and here she is shown with her eyes open

How did it feel being denied these... Hungry Hungry Hippos?

This. OP photoshopped it.

Would you have touched her?

>mfw the killing moon cums too soon

Hell yeah

how could you not follow the story? donnie gets told bad things happen bad things happen so he kills himself so bad things don't happen

not really anything difficult to get in it I really didn't see any ambiguity in that story.

Hell yeah bitch

How does killing himself solve the bad things?

because he caused the bad things duh

If he caused the bad things by not dying, why does Frank wake him up?

Since the rabbit represents time, the single universe in which time travel is possible only makes sense if it shows up in the mirror (I.e., "reflecting" the fact that in this universe, only 1 space-time state is possible (since the "reflection" isn't real...I.e. one real rabbit and one illusory rabbit.)).

The jet engine which crashed was the real one, the jet engine which stayed on the plane was only real in the universe where time travel was possible (if time travel wasn't possible in that universe, it would have fallen off the plane as well, collapsing the "real" waveform state.)

Obviously this interpretation only makes sense if the rabbit shows up in the mirror, not elsewhere in the "real" universe (where time travel is not possible).

because he went back in time to not die because the first time it happened he didn't want to die

its literally groundhog day but the revelation at the end isn't to be nice to people its that you should kill yourself

So he went back in time to not die because he knew Frank would wake him up?

I'll sit next to you, user.

none of that faggy shit though

The barrier between universes is represented by water. That's why when Donnie touches the mirror, it's all liquid. It's why there are water spouts shooting out of people, and it's why Donnie uses a storm to form his wormhole.

Bingo! I didn't want to say it, but wanted to see if anyone would come up with this too. Water is the key to all of this.

Sup Forums still has hope, yet. Happy New year anons.

So you were saying objectively incorrect jibberish this entire thread because you didn't want to say the objectively right thing?

Thats improvement.

yeah i'll say

I'll say

Also probably related to the fact that Donnie flooded the school.

Then say it, faggots

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Could be, my friend, could be.

>From what I remember a lot of the story is cut out and is only in the directors cut or deleted scenes
Not even. The plot relies on that theory they keep yapping about, and it's only included with physical copies. It's a wikipedia movie for everyone else.

The directors cut includes everything you need to know.

Always die from an aeroplane falling on you. It's the best timeline.