/prod/ - Music Production General

Wuv me edition

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

------

Now with less autistic admins
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/baofcxns#
clyp.it/0iy5sl0k
clyp.it/htmiywmt
clyp.it/3cgyxkav
youtube.com/watch?v=5aDWDt-xrbs
clyp.it/0qk0ydur
youtube.com/watch?v=j1eXPBQYknM
clyp.it/quy4ggf2
youtube.com/watch?v=kxSS52PVBfc
youtube.com/watch?v=1ekZEVeXwek
youtube.com/watch?v=t_yL-Yzz-SE
youtube.com/watch?v=aG0r1yW2fds
music.stackexchange.com/questions/31719/is-the-quality-of-a-usb-microphone-worse-than-using-a-conventional-mic-through-a
gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/334404-does-audio-interface-really-matter-your-sound.html
www87.zippyshare.com/v/gVu52a9K/file.html
www87.zippyshare.com/v/IkPcCepj/file.html
clyp.it/jf0ywj41
clyp.it/h4icme52
clyp.it/yo4y5f25
clyp.it/jesjibpf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well this is dead.
If anyone sees this how awful is this clyp.it/baofcxns#

sounds pretty good to me. I liked that the bass wasnt so exaggerated as in some dnb. but im no dnb expert, so I cant tell if its very derivative or so.

I'm not a dnb expert either. Just messing around really. Most of the drum and bass I've listened to is from the 90s.

ok, cool. now you just got to turn it into a track, which to me at least, is the hardest part

clyp.it/0iy5sl0k

can i get some critiques please

I really like this, it reminds me of playing playstation 1 games back in the day

Yeah that's the hardest for me too.
I was kind of thinking about the Ape Escape soundtrack when I started this.

decided to work on a new track, can i get some feedback? clyp.it/0iy5sl0k

oops, posted other guys link by accident, here it is:

clyp.it/htmiywmt

This seriously reminds me of LSD on the PS1

So does this actually

clyp.it/3cgyxkav
I want to add some more instruments to it, but nothing really seems to match. Any ideas guys? Also, havent mixed it yet, so its gonna sound whack.

stop trolling plz

nothing ever happens.... add a melody

I want to add a melody, but no matter what instrument i put in, it doesent seem to 'match' you know what i mean? Should I make a melody out of the pad? I'm pretty fixated on pianos, especially rhodes and or E-Pianos. Do you know of any freebie or easily pirated rhode plugin?

Any good Drum machine vsts that are not just emulations of old roland machines?

If nothing matches than change the thing that clashes with everything

Ahhhh it's been a while since I've scoured vst4free for piano plugs but iirc the top ones weren't *terrible*, maybe even decent.

Kontakt factory has a Rhodes type thing.

Or you know google for samples and use a sampler

No and I'll never understand the fixation with drum machines, even less so vst emulations.

Not exactly a drum machine but polyplex is easy/modern sounding

>using vsts

>(You)

Gtfoout

lol i have standards and you are basically a slut dripping wet crawling from cock to cock; get over yourself

Why am I so hard now

Bulli me some more please

>I'll never understand the fixation with drum machines
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Honestly, I just like the sound of synthetic drums. But Im pretty tired of 808s and 909s. And just using samples get pretty boring.
I do synthesize sounds myself using both subtractive and fm synthesizers, but sometimes I just want a dedicated drum machine.

what does /prod think of my mixing job on this youtube.com/watch?v=5aDWDt-xrbs

Not clicking your shit get out

this is superb, probably the best mixing job I've ever heard in a prod thread. based only on this I would say you are one of the ones who will be successful while the rest here likely won't go anyway, sad but true.

I think you're a gigafaggot

Thanks for the help. I might pirate kontakt then.

there's more at soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria

thank you so much im flattered

DAD ROCK FAG RETURNS

AND THEN SAME FAGS HIS SHIT FOR APPROVAL AHAHAHAHAHA

clyp.it/0qk0ydur

need feedback.

its been about a year since i started doing any production, feel like ive made some progress

cool track

i didnt samefag

>clyp.it/0qk0ydur
Your bassline should mostly be played between the kicks, not on them.
The percussion loop get stale after 1min.... (around 1:30 I want to shoot myself)
>no comment on using 2 chords
The 909 ride meme usually is done a lot more shuffled, and with a jackin house 909 hi hat groove intertwined

I'd say you're average for 1 yr of computer music exp.

thanks for keeping it real

i didnt samefag

anyone here use renoise?

No because I'm not some jungle faggot

do I have a bad taste if I really and unironically like this?

Blocked in us pedro

Well I'm kind of a Max martin fan when it comes to pop so that's too simplistic for me but I don't see why it would make you a faggot

max martin writes hooky songs, but his sounds are not good

I'm sure he doesn't do everything (specifically the sound design) user

really? that sucks. what about free speech m8?

I watched some dokus about him lately and it seems that he's got pretty much everything under control. I guess he's not twisting the knobs himself, but he gives the artistic direction, maybe kinda like Steely Dan

I do but I don't know how to make jungle or breakcore or even music really. Renoise is all I use.

guys how do you make music?

clyp.it/quy4ggf2

i disagree and it's not just the surface, he's extremely good at layering hundreds of instruments, voices and effects to get that individual almost trademarked sound, that's what i meant by too simplistic
his sound design just cannot be beaten

I guess that's subjective then. Personally I like the dreamy electro sound from better than the Martin electro sound a la "into you"

that's why i said "for me," I understand not everybody likes his sound
regardless, nobody is a faggot for liking pop

That's not his sound design, that's the arrangement. Also you're exaggerating

you're just arguing semantics now

That's not semantics, you're objectively misusing the terms

>layering hundreds of instruments
he's right about exaggerating though

don't sound design and arrangement belong together? I mean, when Beethoven wrote a partitura he basically made the sound design, didn't he?

It's like he just learned that word lol

It's called hyperbole and it's a perfectly valid figure of speech. I don't know how many tracks he has on his songs, I wish I did, I'm just stating that his sound comes from taking layering to the next level.

I have a question for you regarding Ableton and performance.
The other day I was watching this tutorial and the guy was using the "utility" plugin instead of the faders to mix/adjust the levels of the tracks. People were calling him crazy for doing that in the comments.
Lately, I started doing it too because I found out it's convenient when you want to use the faders on the USB control while performing. What do you think?

it's also exaggerated because Martin's layering is not special at all. I actually think that he makes sparse mixes to make it appealing to the most stupid listener

compare from the examples from the other band

youtube.com/watch?v=kxSS52PVBfc

with something electronic from Martin

youtube.com/watch?v=1ekZEVeXwek

In my opinion the forst mixes are much richer

Intertwined absolutely, synonymous no.

I don't know that piece user, but I'm guessing no.

Sound design can clutter an arrangement if it's too busy/thick etc, and it starts to intertwine with the mix there as well.

Arrangement is what goes/plays where. Sound design is literally making the sounds from scratch (or hooking up guitar pedals or whatever)

I do it too. My template has a macro on the master for my controller just for convenience lol

Just make sure you check your gainstaging when you're ready to bounce down. It's not that big of a deal if you know what you're doing

I do the same thing and I actually looked specifically for that function without knowing it existed, because automatization with the mixer is annoying

Which Ableton Effects do you guys use? Besides EQ Eight and such. I need to utilize these more.

But you can hear that there are very few instruments playing at any given time in those songs. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but compare it with this
youtube.com/watch?v=t_yL-Yzz-SE
The many different instruments, the effects, the synths, that perfect guitar solo. Again I'm not saying one is better than the other, but Martin's tracks have much more complexity. You can hear tons of sounds in the instrumental that are lost to the ear in the full version, but are felt and you would be able to tell if you were to take them out. That understated complexity is what I like.

reverb, delay, saturator, overdrive, compressor, amp, auto filter... I would recommend you to use effects if you got aware of them in music you like and try to learn exactly what they do instead of drowning your mix in too many of them. the effects you use should be part of your personal style

maybe we have different ears. I hear lots more instruments playing, especially in the higher registers

>reverb, delay, saturator, overdrive, compressor, amp, auto filter..

for all instruments? including drums? which of these tools do not work with some instruments?

>I watched some dokus about him lately
Links/names of the ones you liked pls?

I use amp in combination with overdrive and saturator when I try to make distorted riffs. without amp it sounds cheap imo. I put reverb basically on everything in different amount on a return track. I try to create dreamy/spacy sounds with delay and sweeps with the auto filter and especially with the lfo in it. I put a compressor on almost anything.
I want to learn a bit more about phaser, flanger and chorus in the next time.
I have to say that I'm a nooby noob when it comes to sound design. I'm composing and playing piano on a high level for years now, but I havent done alot with DAWs so far.

Off topic: does the text box lag for you too like hell right now? everything runs smoothly on my machine only Sup Forums lags as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=aG0r1yW2fds

cant remember the other ones, but I think I

fucking lag.... I think I just followed the autoplay after that one

uvi beatbox anthology 2

Can someone tell me how the blue yeti microphone compares to other mics?

music.stackexchange.com/questions/31719/is-the-quality-of-a-usb-microphone-worse-than-using-a-conventional-mic-through-a
gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/334404-does-audio-interface-really-matter-your-sound.html

In short it's bad because with an USB mic you're cramming up an interface inside the microphone, and to keep prices low enough the interface ends up being worse. If you want a condenser mic like the Blue Yeti, buying an AT2020 and a separate interface will give you way better results.

Then again "bad" can mean different things, an AT2020 is also bad for a professional record. If you like the sound of the Blue Yeti for your purposes that's fine, but understand the inherent limitations to ALL USB mikes

i was classically trained in piano for 11 years. this shit is a completely different beast...i feel you heavy on the sound design. its too complicated for me rn haha

i learned a valuable lesson with the piano which is that you only have so much time to learn something that the best thing to do is to focus on stuff that genuinely interests you and to swallow your pride and skip on everything else. knowing this I waited with audio production for years until it came naturally, after some frustrating approaches years ago. I'm actually grateful that I can find some fun in it now without any pressure to achieve something. and this goes out to all anons in these prod-threads: if you want to compose or produce just because you think it's rewarding: wait until you really want to do it

Thanks

Thank you.

long term goals would be to make a living off of this. I have a feeling i could do it. i have a lot of ideas that i just cannot put into the computer with much success. but the ideas are definitely there and sound good in my head

Mmmm stop putting reverb on "everything and use groups/ returns

There are no rules as to what "works" on every instrument, though transient shapers being most often useful for drums is the only real example if you're on 10

Basically all of them are worth pulling out. I can't think of any that have been useless besides eq3, and the amp/cab sims, which are really just sub par... I still use them on occasion though lol.

I tried using amp stock plug-ins in Ableton for my guitar, but it sounds like complete rubbish. Do you get good results with synths?

not him but you gotta eq heavy there, especially around 4-500 i find

definitely sounds better just using it as a distortion for drums and synths

>clyp.it/htmiywmt
you are a no talent

I think it's a joke

I have an official instrumental of Skrillex's "Purple Lamborghini", and most of it peaks near 0dB.

If I compare the parts on the original with the same parts on the instrumental, they're at the same volume, but in the instrumental it doesn't get quieter when the vocals are supposed to be.

When I try to phase-cancel them to get the vocals they cancel out well enough, and ignoring the vocals (which are obviously much louder now than the rest), the volume stays pretty steady almost all the time (especially during parts where it alternates between having and not having vocals), meaning that the volume of the backing track on the original is the same as that of the instrumental version I have.

So if I tried to add my on vocals (singing the same stuff as Rick Ross), I'd have to either have the whole instrumental quiet and have the vocals sitting on top (making it peak much higher during the vocals, which obviously doesn't happen in the original version), or sidechain the instrumental so it's lower when there are vocals (which also doesn't happen in the original), or employ some severe compression/limiting to squash everything together when there are vocals, so that at the end everything peaks at the same level.

Here are the files:
www87.zippyshare.com/v/gVu52a9K/file.html
www87.zippyshare.com/v/IkPcCepj/file.html

So what's going on here?
Did they sicply make a new mix for the instrumental so that everything is peaking at 0dB while the original would have quieter parts if the vocals got removed, or these were the levels they were working with when they added the vocals?

Pic semi-related I guess.

>Did they sicply make a new mix for the instrumental
probably

I normally just use the drum synths in Maschine. Bretty gud desu famalam

>I guess he's not twisting the knobs himself, but he gives the artistic direction, maybe kinda like Steely Dan
...or Goldie

>anyone here use renoise?
Just trying to learn how to use it.

>No because I'm not some jungle faggot

is it ok to use stock EZDrummer midi patterns on my music?

clyp.it/jf0ywj41

wat happen 2 doggo

>No because I'm not some jungle faggot
Why the homophobia?

Drum sounds weird as fuck. Don't know if its the midi pattern, the way to swingy rythm og the fact that they sound flat as fuck bro. Go listen to Tame Impalas early stuff and strieve for those drum sounds... As in "Its not meant to be". MB use it as reference track.

>Need mixing advice
I would love some advice and critique on the mixing/mastering of this. Listen if you like horny/lo-fi house vibes.
WIP: clyp.it/h4icme52

Yeah that's fine just don't rely on them

Also your soloing needs work- I only listened to 20 seconds or so but you resolve your phrases on boring/repeated notes a lot.

Funny guy

Biggest thing to jump out is unbalanced volume

i guess i mean actually relying on them ...
listen till end then

what's wrong with that? they're just a blank canvas, you can tweak tjheir parameters to get to the sound you want.

is the accompainment guitar standing out enough? any other comments on the song?
clyp.it/yo4y5f25

Thanks. Could you give some insight to which instruments the levels are unbalanced bro?

do unidirectional condenser mics exist?
i prefer the sound of condenser mics to sm57s for example but they would pick too much ambient noise on my bedroom

U go insiede the illegal rave place
fuck is this far away techno subacqueam beat?
go in front of soundsystem
what do?

clyp.it/jesjibpf

>clyp.it/jesjibpf
expect a better techno tune than this shit. Kickdrum is boring. Sidechaining is EDM style not techno style. Sounds are truly unimaginative.

>what do?

>lean against bass stack
>take spectacles from breast pocket
>put spectacles over eye
>pull out dictionary from back pocket
>open dictionary
>learn how to fucking engwish mutherfucker