youtube.com/watch?v=G8bNZboAPfc
youtube.com/watch?v=JXdrIhYVkuk
youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8
youtube.com/watch?v=mKL0BtScEd8
youtube.com/watch?v=PNYL4w-qxcE
youtube.com/watch?v=sP1mpIQG5yI
youtube.com/watch?v=qutUyQqhjdM
youtube.com/watch?v=a2delt1zaGE
info.sonicretro.org/Michael_Jackson_Involvement_with_Sonic_3#Brad_Buxer_Interview
info.sonicretro.org/Brad_Buxer_Interview_(Black_&_White,_November/December_2009)
youtube.com/watch?v=eGdDDaSi-sA
soundcloud.com/opolopo
ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/a-new-dawn
ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/andromeda-online
ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/autoconvolution
onlinerecords.bandcamp.com/track/top-phase
vacuumnoiserecords.bandcamp.com/track/wint045
youtube.com/watch?v=Oqlttp7aa6E
youtube.com/watch?v=I6oeb2IgUSk
youtube.com/watch?v=QO3Ss_IhOEU
youtube.com/watch?v=mfVzICFoGIA
youtube.com/watch?v=f3mPIuO4lIo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1bTDtj33Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_aQhVRuFrIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wEUwZcpH-kw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rip good eurodance

youtube.com/watch?v=MKeTuZ-zoeA

>Watched videos talking about how much the soundtrack was a joke
>Thought the same but listening to it now its actually really well produced

Fucking hell I never thought I'd find myself enjoying the sonic r soundtrack.

Sonic Adventure 2 had a few disproportionately great songs on the soundtrack too.

have you guys never really heard the SONIC CD soundtrack?

its 90s eurodance heaven

youtube.com/watch?v=S9bN8JBwk_s
youtube.com/watch?v=pd_NcMZ3xcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zkj-ewsnS98

I fucking love the Sonic CD soundtrack, but I wouldn't say its like eurodance,

>Sonic R
>green eyes

anyway best Sonic music is from Sonic 1 and 2 on Mega Drive by Masato Nakamura.

Sonic R was released a year before Adventure, they just used the promo art from the ladder since the OST was released around the same time

That's not Eurodance
That has more in common with Acid House and Techno from the 80s UK scene
Track like this for example
youtube.com/watch?v=Iafwfm1xFeA

Also have some Micheal Jackson from Sonic 3K
youtube.com/watch?v=2hZLABxySwE
youtube.com/watch?v=ehiKyBwSPCY
youtube.com/watch?v=89PH7v-uNKs

>best Sonic music is from Sonic 1 and 2 on Mega Drive by Masato Nakamura.
Fuck no
3K's and CD's Jap soundtracks blow that shit away

how does such a bad series have such consistently great music?

The classic games were some of the best of all time(with 3K being the best platformer ever made)

Anyways the answer is Sega has always had amazing musicians. Also they did crazy shit like having the King of Pop work on Sonic 3

>You know you have to surviiiiiiiiive

Instrumental version is superior
youtube.com/watch?v=JXdrIhYVkuk

Not really, although I won't say those are bad either. But Nakamura's music is the real créme of Sonic music.

The Jetzons were a based band
youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8
youtube.com/watch?v=mKL0BtScEd8

Yes really
I like Sonic 1 and 2's music but it's not even close to 3K/CD
Hydrocity Zone act 2 is the best Sonic track ever composed
youtube.com/watch?v=PNYL4w-qxcE

why was this unreleased? i'm sure it would've been a hit in the 80's

From the late 90s to early 2000s, VG composers were often allowed to draw inspiration from dance music, which is far more inspired and interesting than the formulaic garbage that gets shat out by most developers today.

youtube.com/watch?v=sP1mpIQG5yI

youtube.com/watch?v=qutUyQqhjdM

Finally, a good thread on Sup Forums
imo
Back in Time > Diamond in the Sky > Can You Feel the Sunshine > Number One > Living in the City > Super Sonic Racing > Work it Out

>with 3K being the best platformer ever made
that's not super meat boy

Technically they did release an LP in 1982 but they didn't include Hard Times in it for whatever reason.
From what I've read they were huge in the Arizona local scene at the time and they would have made it big but Bruce Connole's Heroin Addiction prevented them from doing that so they broke up

Nevertheless they were an influential band. For example Gin Blossoms stated they were very influenced by them.

>Living in the City
>third from last

I respect your opinion, but still

It's too repetitive imo

nah. Its either Super Mario Bros 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, or Dustforce

VG composers had as much freedom as the tech allowed them at the time.

I gotta say though that Sonic really pushed music in video games more than any other series out there.
Sonic 1 and 2 had a top J-pop musician working on them, CD had a popular Jap singer(Keiko Utoku) and Casey Rankin making original vocal Intro/Outro songs and had different remixes for each time period of each zone. Sonic 3K had remixes for each act and got the King of Pop(and a few other friends of his that tagged along) to compose for it + 7-8 other Sega composers and not to mention bonus 3rd party composers.

Then you got stuff like them poaching Richard Jacques at a young age to compose for 3D Blast Saturn/Sonic R. Then you got the Adventure games which featured some underrated rock/metal artists like Johnny Gioeli, Tony Harnell, Ted Poley etc. Then you got Unleashed which was a very ambitious soundtrack aiming to represent a ton of different countries/cultures around the world and it did a phenomenal job. It's crazy.

Hydrocity is really good, definitely my favorite on 3, but I'll still take Marble Zone or Spring Yard Zone over it.
I think that makes 1 and 2's soundtracks so good is that, besides being the first ones that really defined how Sonic music should sound like (and is STILL being the base of the "sonic sound", GHZ is still being versioned game after game), is that all the music in 1 and 2 is consistently good.
For every Hydrocity on 3/K you have mid-tier ones like Carnival night or Launch base.
Not to mention Angel Island's music is way less iconic than GHZ or EHZ.
Also Ice Cap is good but severely overrated.
Still good, I don't want to shit on 3/K's soundtrack, but 1 and 2 are the GOAT. Nakamura a God.

Millennial detected
Super Meat Boy is shit

>Hydrocity is really good, definitely my favorite on 3, but I'll still take Marble Zone or Spring Yard Zone over it.
>This utter shit taste
Just stop already
Just know that you're an uber contrarian

Also
Angel Island Act 2 is the best starting level music by far. GHZ and EHZ are not as good no matter how "iconic" they may be

Liking Sonic 1 and 2's music is being contrarian? I'm a "contrarian" then, at least I'm not a frogposter.
Really though, Nakamura > Your gods

I seem to be in the minority in believing that the American Stardust Speedway was better

Yes liking Sonic 1 and 2's music over CD JP's and 3K's is contrarian as all fuck.
Micheal Jackson's farts in his worst day >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nakamura

lol i played this game when i was 10 shit was trippy as fuck looking back at it

>implying it was MJ himself
It was just a few guys who worked with him, and Sega's Inoue.
Nakamura is still best, sorry shitposter.

>Carnival night or Launch base.
>Implying those aren't god-tier tracks
Holy fuck kill yourself mickey mouse-ear faggot

But that is fucking wrong.

Those are average at best, my man.

MJ worked on Sonic 3K
youtube.com/watch?v=2hZLABxySwE
youtube.com/watch?v=ehiKyBwSPCY
youtube.com/watch?v=89PH7v-uNKs

He didn't compose all of the game's tracks(there were 13 composers, 6 on MJ's team and 7 on Sega's in-house without counting 3rd party musicians) but what he did was miles better than anything on 1 and 2

Also
>Inoue
You mean Jun Senoue? The guy who only did the Gumball Bonus Stage
Sorry retard but your precious faggot Jun Senoue only did one track and was a bit player at best in 3K

No, no they're not
They're some of the best tracks in the series' history and generally some of the most fitting music for any Sonic Stage ever.

But I wouldn't expect an Adventure-toddler to know shit about music.

>MJ worked
Not really, it was his crew, not him personally.
Nakamura is still better, and his soundtracks for 1 and 2 are way more cohesive than the sort of mess that are 3/K soundtracks, which are nice, but all over the place, due to having multiple composers as you said.
Hydrocity, Flying Battery, Big Arm, Doomsday and Sky Sanctuary are the only ones I consider to be on part with 1 and 2's soundtracks. But still I'll take Nakamura's works over them.
Insult me all you want, deep down you know 1 and 2 have the definitive Sonic music. 3 is good, but a bit of a mess.

LOL why are you calling me an Adventure toddler? I'm defending the first 2 original games, not adventure 1 and 2.

>tfw we will never have a sonic game as good as 3&K and with as great of a soundtrack again
youtube.com/watch?v=a2delt1zaGE

CAN

>Not really, it was his crew, not him personally.
On December 2, 2009, a member named dma from the website VGMdb (a website that focuses on video game music) brought attention to an article in Black & White Magazine. This interview was with Brad Buxer, a credited music composer for the Sonic 3 soundtrack and long-time collaborator with Michael Jackson. In this interview, Buxer confirms that the final release of Sonic 3 does contain at least one piece of work by Michael Jackson: “ B&W: Can you clarify the rumor that Michael had in 1993 composed the music for Sonic 3 video game, for which you havel been credited?

Buxer: I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks on which Michael and I have worked the developers have kept, but we did compose music for the game. Michael called me at the time for help on this project, and that's what I did. And if he is not credited for composing the music, it's because he was not happy with the result sound coming out of the console. At the time, game consoles did not allow an optimal sound reproduction, and Michael found it frustrating. He did not want to be associated with a product that devalued his music...

B&W: One of the surprising things in this soundtrack is that you can hear the chords from Stranger in Moscow, which is supposed to have been composed later...

Buxer: Yes, Michael and I had composed those chords for the game, and it has been used as base for Stranger in Moscow. [...] „

— An excerpt from the Black & White Magazine interview with Brad
info.sonicretro.org/Michael_Jackson_Involvement_with_Sonic_3#Brad_Buxer_Interview

testkitchen.huffingtonpost.com/michaeljacksonsonic/

Shut your ass up you fucking retard

fucking richard jaques man
I've loved this soundtrack since I was a kid

>I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks on which Michael and I have worked the developers have kept, but we did compose music for the game
>we
MJ was just like "yeah guys, write some music for Sonic".
You're too angry, calling me a retard and all, but I've already read these interviews. It doesn't confirm that MJ actually composed any song himself, he always says "we".
Also, it's kind of sad that MJ didn't want to be associated with it, don't you think?
Anyway, again, I do like 3's music, it's just messy as a whole, not as consistent as Nakamura's works, which are the golden standard of Sonic soundtracks, and that could never be topped.
You can get angry all you want, frog. It won't make your opinion more relevant though.

Can you feel the sunshine>living in the city>Work it out>Number one>super sonic racing> Diamond in the sky>Back in time

THIS IS FACT

Nice try but MJ was already working on Sonic 3
He was a Sonic fan and he had worked with Sega before on the arcade game Michael Jackson's Moonwalker...so he met them one day and asked them if he could compose music for Sonic 3

Brad Buxer especially speaks with high reverence towards MJ and considers him to be a musical genius
info.sonicretro.org/Brad_Buxer_Interview_(Black_&_White,_November/December_2009)
So get the fuck out with this bullshit

I know, I've read all that stuff before you even knew about it.
Nakamura still did the better soundtracks, and MJ only composed 1 song at best, the rest was just done by the other guys, and quality varies between tracks.
Nakamura's music is consistent all the way through. He invented the Sonic sound.

>MJ only composed 1 song at bes
Fucking lol
MJ composed Carnival Night act 1 and 2, Act 1 boss, Knuckles theme, Competition Select theme, Launch Base act 1 and 2, Credits theme so that's like 8 tracks. He also most likely contributed to the arrangements of Ice Cap 1 and 2 in some fashion

And no only weebs like you think Nakamura's work in Sonic 1 and 2 were better than CD's or 3K's music

>666
I'm not believing you, Satan.
There's no source that says these were composed by him, and most likely, they were composed by his music crew, not him personally.
>weebs
Nice millennial meme, but Sonic 1 and 2 came out before that buzzword even existed. Sorry!

You keep pushing this "Crew did all the music and MJ took credit for it" meme but
Doug Grisby said that the music was written as "High-Profile"...not any different than regular Micheal Jackson songs
So like it or not weeb MJ was very involved in the process. This was not a tiny side-project for him, this was something he had a lot of fun working on(albeit until he got frustrated with the Mega Drive's sound-chip)

>MJ took credit of it
Huh? I never said it, quite the contrary.
At this point you seem cornered about the true (that, while 3's music is indeed good and has outstanding tracks like Hydrocity, as a whole it's not as strong as 1 and 2), so all you have left is your memes about "weeb" boogeymen, etc.
Just go back to Sup Forums, /29k/, Sup Forums or whatever the fuck you came from and keep posting frog memes, that's all you're good for. You don't really understand music.

When Jackson recorded, he'd usually have a side room – a lounge or relaxation area – where he could take a break and kick back. Sometimes he'd play Sonic games. "None of us involved in this were really gamers," Matt Forger, a sound engineer who worked on the project, told me. "Michael was probably the one who did play video games to the greatest extent. So, for the rest of us, we knew Sonic the Hedgehog, that was a pretty well-known thing in terms of popular culture, and video games in general, but Michael really is the core."
>But Micheal really is the core
Stay mad

Also you're still a contrarian faggot
3K & CD's music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1/2. Always has and always will

I already told you, I've read all these articles and interviews before you were even allowed to use the internet, boyo.
Also, that isn't related to the music compositions at all, it's just an anecdote of Michael playing vidya. Good job!
Nakamura is still the God of Sonic music.
Michael's team are demi-gods.

I see you can't help yourself and still insult like a little kid when confronter with different points of view.
However, there's nothing "contrarian" about accepting the truth, that 1 and 2 are the best Sonic soundtracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=eGdDDaSi-sA

Am I autistic if I enjoy Sonic Forces soundtrack? The game itself was an utter disaster but I found myself liking the soundtrack. None of it was special in any way and was kind of generic yet satisfying in some odd way to listen to

Look up this dude if you want to hear new music that sounds like Sonic CD.
soundcloud.com/opolopo

i played the fuck out of these games when i was a kid. now i realize it was mainly because of the music...huh.

i need this thread to stay alive

The Sonic R OST used to be the only .wav files on my computer so I sampled it a lot:

ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/a-new-dawn
ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/andromeda-online
ddx-10.bandcamp.com/track/autoconvolution
onlinerecords.bandcamp.com/track/top-phase
vacuumnoiserecords.bandcamp.com/track/wint045
youtube.com/watch?v=Oqlttp7aa6E
youtube.com/watch?v=I6oeb2IgUSk
youtube.com/watch?v=QO3Ss_IhOEU
youtube.com/watch?v=mfVzICFoGIA
youtube.com/watch?v=f3mPIuO4lIo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1bTDtj33Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_aQhVRuFrIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wEUwZcpH-kw

Plus countless more in the SPV Laboratories series

Dreams Come True are really good for a j-pop act, not surprised they're sampled in Sonic so much

that image never gets old

holy shit that is dedication

never listen to gamers

dubs

DUBS

haahahahahaha

Sonic Mania > your favorite game

patrician

based spv laboratories

what the fuck am i listening to