"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- S. Pegg
>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- G. Lucas
>"SW ate the heart and the soul of Hollywood. It created the big-budget comic book mentality."
- P. Schrader
>"A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen SW over a 100 times? I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities"
- A. Guinness
>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core."
- D. Cronenberg
>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- W. Friedkin
>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- A. Iñárritu
>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire, this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- A. Jodorowsky
>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- A. Moore

can "nerd culture" be stopped to save cinema?

Sounds like a bunch of ass blasted autists who are pissed nobody wants to watch their shitty movies

half of those people are actually involved with those movies

>WAAAAH MUH SECRET HOBBY ISN'T A SECRET ANY MORE WAAAAAAH

Get over it.

I don't care. I have the capacity to like movies based on nerdy shit and movies not based on nerdy shit.

>Now that i've made my shekels, fuck all that shit

>Simon Pegg

>"Film as art culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to intellectually masturbate the consume as a means of non-aggressive control"
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen 2001: A Space Odyssey over a hundred times. I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see 2001 again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand faux-intellgencia banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [art films] as elevated art form, I think it's still just a French guy smoking a cigarette with a Noir filter around his stupid depressed face... It's for quasi-intellectuals, it's adolescent in its core."
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about a guy and his dog where nothing actually happens as some kind of metaphor for the pointlessness of life. I think it's fine for people who want to pretend to be smart, those of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"They have been poisoned, this culture genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to pointless camera work and terrible religious metaphors and shit that doesn't mean nothing about the experience of a simple story."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

Films are for entertainment, not for pretending you're cultured, idiots. Read a book.

this

>Read a book.

You just posted a bunch of old angry dads who think terminator is edgy and cool.

Simon Pegg is a 'nerd', as in an original nerd. He is right that 'nerd culture', you know "IM SO NERDY LOL XD" people, is a capitalist conspiracy. As being a 'nerd' was socially ostracising, it soon became a "I'M NOT LIKE OTHER GIRLS :3!!!" bullshit. So people make 'nerd culture' shit which is socially acceptable, like vidya or superhero films. Pegg is an actor and writer for films. Lucas is a director and writer. Guinness is a respected actor. Cronenberg is a respected director.

It's hardly 'autists'. Then again, Sup Forums uses that word for everybody these days.

>autists

So its just pretentious old dudes complaining about the culture they helped create.

I don't think it's a capitalist conspiracy so much as being a nerd, or at least a certain flavor of one, were the ones that made an absolute dick ton of money over the previous few decades to the point that some corporations are more powerful than a lot of governments (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc). People want to be associated with intelligence because that's where the success (read: money) is so they play up to the image as much as they can. I don't think nerd fetishism blows up the way it has if you magically stalled microprocessor development another 50 years or so.

just like it used to be, nobody should want to be called a nerd

>Hating on literature

>forcing yourself to partake in an outdated format just because you think it makes you look smart

I think it's interesting- when I was a little kid I was really into sci-fi and comics and my mom was really encouraging. She was the founder and president of the science fiction club in her high school and she pointed me in the direction of people like Arthur C Clark and Robert Heinlein and Isaac Azimov. But she didn't read them herself. I thought that was weird because she used to love it so much, and when I asked her why she just said "I kind of grew out of it".

For the last thirty years she's mostly been into non fiction and mysteries, and I'll be god damned if I haven't noticed that that's the direction I've been headed in myself.

It just seems obvious to me that most of that "nerd" culture stems from immaturity. For an adult it's candy. More than a little bit every once in a while will make you sick.

I love America

and the dumbest post in the universe award goes to

I'd argue but I'm just so non-aggressive I guess I'll go to bed

>people that dedicated their lives to their viewpoints, opinions, and experiences and went through the process of condensing them down for others to read.
>lol look at this asshole reading

>>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
Why are left wing conspiracy theories given more academic legitimacy than the shit Alex Jones spews?

>their shitty movies
>meanwhile probably shovels cash out to every Marvel, Star Wars, and Capeshit film out there

The general public has shit taste in films, user.

Also
>shit films
>William Friedkin, director of The French Connection and The Exorcist
>Paul Schrader, writer of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver

lel

#SimonPeggwasright

>"Nerds is cool now, and jocks is pumping our gas."

Liked And Subscribed. Love This Post.

As for Inarritu, please someone tell me they didnt think that Revenant. Wasnt a superhero movie?

>made the exorcist
>talks shit about capeshit

LOL
As hilarious as the tarot guy and his psychomagic

It's not going to stop they are making too much money off of it.

there's implicitly one of the most serious misunderstandings of cinema i've ever seen in this comment

either that or this is bait of the highest quality

>The Exorcist
>Best Picture nominee
>putting it on the same level of capeshit

kek

Sounds like an ass blasted capeshit-defener who is pissed he doesn't understand filmmaking

how truly insightful

>Best picture nominee

Shot yourself in the foot there buddy

Why are manbabbies so defensive?