Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1887

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese, things you like/hate about the language, goals, etc.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9X0-5UAus
sakubi.neocities.org/
pomax.github.io/nrGrammar/
youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7rbFh_9d8
kanji.sljfaq.org/draw-canvas.html
youtu.be/dnoi1GfwSzg
twitter.com/gobou_1000/status/796917619886411776
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

should I quit my job to focus on 日本語?

i have to get at least N2 status in the next 3 years or i'm doomed and right now i'm in demanding college classes, with my non-study time being sucked up by work

well I guess that depends on if you can afford it?

>i have to get at least N2 status in the next 3 years or i'm doomed
what do you mean?

>if you can afford it?
yes. i am financially secure for now. i'm at a point i need more time to get my life together than my job has allowed.

>what do you mean
MEXT bro

Shit, didn't see there was a new thread.

Why is Dulingo so mean?

Cause you're using a phone. My desktop version keeps pampering me up, teaching N0 grammar and I can even click to watch livestreams of dekinais using the mobile version to make a fool out of themselves.

I really really really like this OP image

youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9X0-5UAus
面白いwwwwww(´・ω・`)

日本の女を買う金がない

How would I say I don't have Enough money.

お金が足りない

I will never not confuse 急性 and 性急.

Help.

>分配
>配分
Do these have the same meaning?

日本の女を買う金が足りない

Placing word order is hard, I kinda have an idea of where things should go but end up putting some things in the wrong order. I thought you would put the "enough" before the "money"

お金が足りない is literally "money is not enough" or "money is not sufficient".

I know I know, I was being a baka and was thinking in English as in "Not enough money"

How do i make Japanese friends if my only hobby and interest is Japanese?
At this point I don't know how to make friends in general unless its for the purpose of learning the language.

When I was learning English I got a lot of English friends and conversation practice by joining a raiding WoW guild on EU servers.
ff14 seems to be hot so what about trying to join one on a jap server?

Not a bad idea. I haven't gotten into MMOs before so I was thinking about buying a switch to try to make friends playing Splatoon.

Do you or anyone else know about a Japanese Discord server or site to find gamers?

私は人の目にどう映るのだろうか

Could someone help me with this sentence? What I kind of think it says is "I -- in the eyes of people -- wonder what reflects?"

このTシャツの草書体まったく読めません 誰が想像できるか

>I wonder how I am seen by other people?
'Seen' or in other words 'perceived'. Such as appearance or actions. If you were to replace the どう with something like a quote with と or an adverb you would change how people see you.
>人の目に特別に映る
"meaning 'Seen as special"
>人の目に管理が下手だと映る
"seen as poorly managed"

gib clay back japan it is american

n 1830, Nathaniel Savory, an American, landed on the island of Chichijima in 1830 and formed the first permanent colony there, along with 29 other people from Hawaii, the continental United States and Europe.[16] The first settlers were Richard Millichamp of Devon, England; Matteo Mazzaro of Ragusa/Dubrovnik, Austrian Empire (now in Croatia); Alden B. Chapin and Nathaniel Savory of Boston; Carl Johnsen of Copenhagen; as well as seven unnamed men and 13 women from the Kingdom of Hawaii.[17]

Thanks

Try to differentiate them by how they sound. Then, when you read the kanji, you might have a better chance of not mixing them up. Good luck for 平和 and 和平 though.

「それを最後に五感までもが闇のなかに墜落していった。」

Could それを最後に be translated as "for good", or "for the final time", or are there better translations? Like, is the phrase just meant to strengthen the finality of losing consciousness (all 5 senses going out)? This is the last sentence in the chapter, and the character this happens to wasn't killed.

Abbreviation of それを最後にして, それ would be described beforehand.

Hey any chance one of you guys could translate what is written on the front and back of this shirt? I've been searching everywhere online for the shirt or brand with no luck and I'm not sure where else i can find out the translation

This is the back of the shirt. Thank you in advanced!

You have 45 seconds to solve the captcha and tell me right now why you're learning Japanese, DJT!

Weebshit.

anime

Japanese girls

I'm not. Japanese is forcefully teaching itself to me

Compelling content.

The previous sentences describe the main character killing beasts and hearing screams. So could you say that the senses going out is the catalyst that puts 最後 to "それ"?

(if you have any smooth English translation ideas to what I've described, please share as well, if it's not too much trouble)

I learned German when I was a university student, and was impressed so much when I foung this word in a text book.

entgegengegangen

Weebshit and it might be useful for my job, who knows.

With that (scene) as her last moment (of consciousness), all five senses plunged into darkness

Awesome man, really solidifies the meaning here thanks.

Any comments on
sakubi.neocities.org/ and pomax.github.io/nrGrammar/ ?

A few years ago I started on Tae Kim and other online resources but these two seems to be very high quality, Sakubi is obviously more friendly than Pomax's guide but both seem to be written by people with linguistic background

So far I haven't find a direct contradiction between these two but I wonder if someone has strong opinions towards one or the other

That might be it, user.
平和 is a word I'm well familiarized with because of 平和島, character's surname. My problem is both kyuusei and seikyuu sound generic and these are among the most on-yomis from Japanese. I'll see if I can focus on memorizing one of them and assume the other by exclusion. After one of them becomes familiar enough, I get the other one and it'll sound apart.

First one is shit, don't bother. Never saw this other one, though. Why not use Tae Kim instead?

>Rather than being labelled intransitive or transitive, Japanese verbs are labelled as being 自動詞 or 他動詞 , literally "verb that works on its own" and "verb that works paired with something". Quite often these two verb classifications map to the roles of "intransitive" and "transitive", respectively, but sometimes they don't. For instance, traversal verbs (such as 'walk', 'run', 'fly', 'sail', etc.) are intransitive in English, but are 他動詞 in Japanese:

This from Pomax is wrong. Those movement verbs are not 他動詞, they use a different meaning of を than normal sense used by 他動詞.

Could give some examples in japanese? I feel like transitivity info is so hard to find in japanese dictionaries

交差点を曲がった。
I turned at the intersection. (自動詞, uses を to show location)
身体を曲げた。
I bent my body. (他動詞, uses を to show direct object)

Can anyone make out any part of this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7rbFh_9d8

I can hear 我々のxxx but that's it. I'd ask in the actual Japanese thread but the spammer is derailing it again

Thanks, I feel like I expressed my question in a confusing way. I actually wanted to know examples of japanese verbs which are 自動 on a dictionary but can used like you showed me.

I end up checking 「を」 on Goo Jisho and indeed there are two different entries on the meaning of を when used with 「移動の意を表す動詞」 (motion verbs?) compared to it's meaning of 「対象を表す」

Also another resource seems to explicitly say that when you use a noun that indicates a location, it doesn't make the verb 他動詞

Anyway thanks for you comment, guess I will be more cautious when reading Pomax's guide

apparently Sup Forums thinks the link explaining transitivity is spam
web ydu edu tw / ~uchiyama / 1h93fy / jita.html

just put a new line in the middle of the link breaking up the main url part, then it can be copy/pasted fine without needing to edit out spaces

Ah, I see
I used to just enter a blank spoiler tag inside the link but had no idea how to do it here on Sup Forums lol

Whats the best writing kanji detection thing?
手書き入力ということです。

Google doesnt always work

Normally I just use kanji.sljfaq.org/draw-canvas.html to look up kanji

Apparently Windows 10's handwritten input for Japanese is decent? But I never wrote difficult kanji to actually test it

guys pls stay alert and check

I was having more trouble with windows 10 before i tried google translate. Maybe im just shit though

>ちいとばかし寝るね
What does ばかし mean here?
sorry no context its just some random tweet.

Guys pls, stay alert in the pacific coast. Pass the info

How often do Japanese people make mistakes with rendaku?

Same as ばかり. Sleep just a bit.

ばかし= ばかり
ばかし means "approximately, about, roughly, …or so" in this case

but it may be wrong
sorry

oh that makes sense. thanks!

Probably not often, since they learn the language by hearing more than by reading. The more obscure, the bigger the chance.

お金をくださいます(´・ω・`)

But it literally shows the kanji you wrote?

ちょっとだけ寝るね of Kanto dialect

Anymore easy listening practice like this?
youtu.be/dnoi1GfwSzg

I hate anime and videogames. I just want to spite all my weeb friends who say that japanese is "like impossible to learn, man"

Is there an anki deck that have the japanese word as front template and the audio,english meaning as back template?
Or a way to switch the template of all the cards of core 2k/6k all at once?

I feel like it would be more efficient for me if the cards order were like in pic related

Could you guys proof read this for me. It is polite enough? Did I make it clear? Please and thank you.

>手数料を払えば、絵を描いていただけますか?
>twitter.com/gobou_1000/status/796917619886411776
>これは私の大好きなイメージの1つなんです。どう考えても素晴らしい絵です。雪の降る感じ、親密さ、見つめ合う眼差し。どれを取っても驚くべきです。

>如何でしょう、手数料で、私のために絵を描いてくれれば、と思っているのですが。

The default Core2K/6K deck on mega.nz recommended in the OP. Did you download it off AnkiWeb for some reason?

Yeah I did, I thought it was the same.
Thanks.

Can any explain なんだけど to me please?
Is it なん+だけど or なんだ+けど?

Also 調子狂っちゃうな means something like "don't let that get you down / don't get mad" or something like that right? (guessing from context)

>>Or a way to switch the template of all the cards of core 2k/6k all at once?
Editing a cards template does that already.

>responding to a 4+ hour post to post something he already knows by now just to bump a thread on page 10
You absolute nigger.

>something he already knows by now
He doesn't, he found a different solution that didn't teach him how the program works.

> just to bump a thread on page 10
It's not as if this thread doesn't already get bumped with several hours between posts.

Pomax's guide is a genuine textbook replacement. Sakubi is just a grammar primer and nothing else.

I know this is normalfag talk and I apologize for that, but it's important so I hope to get some feedback. I'm 19 after taking a gap year and about to revoke my admission to college, immigrate to Japan, and basically uproot my whole life here.

Do you think it's better to enroll in a 2-year language school and then transfer to a Japanese university for business, or study Econ at an American university (Boston College), keep self-studying Japanese, and look for a job in Japan after one graduates?

Which path would yield better job prospects in Japan, assuming that I'm N1 by the time I graduate undergrad? Which is the smarter decision?

The language school will cost about $20k (not including other expenses), Japanese university around $20k (not including other expenses), Japanese while college here will cost $200k.

I just want to get to Japan as soon as possible, get a part-time job there, and start assimilating, but if the language-school/Japanese university plan is stupid compared to the other plan, please hit me with the truth.

Why would you work there?

You need a bachelor's degree for Japan to actually start considering you as an immigrant.

Well, I used the wrong terminology. What I'd be doing is going to language school on a student visa and then transferring to a Japanese university.

Student visas allow you to work part-time and since language school/university doesn't take up the whole day, I'd work part-time

That is easy? Can't hear SHIT, holy fuck, I want to give her a real brunch (breaking punch).

bump

What language school? Most are shit.

>using scrissors to cut bread

Teekyuu is easy listening practice

ために女

they're literally just swarthier alien versions of white women, at best. if your sole purpose in learning a language, particularly one that is going to take thousands of hours of your one life, is literally just muh dick, you might as well learn Czech or Estonian or something.

L O N G
B L A C K
H A I R

It should get your point across.
>どう考えても素晴らしい絵です。
This can be a little aggressive, so it may be better to drop it or change it to just 素晴らしい絵です。

He just posts all new videos from that channel in this thread, Japanese Thread, and Japan Travel Thread on /trv/. Maybe he's getting paid, maybe it's the 自閉症.

Japanese girls are wife material.
Every Japanese girl I have dated has been very nice, supporting, extremely patient, quiet, gentle, calm, and has went out of their way to make me happy.

Even the girls I didn't like still would try to make me meals and do thoughtful things I told them they didn't have to do.

And their cutesy "moe" appeal catches my attention more than a big chest.

I'm all for cuteness, but that purikura overload makes her look like Adalia.

>Which path would yield better job prospects
Having a degree from a school like BC, hands down. Foreign countries place a lot more value on a degree from the US. And you don't have to go to a private school and spend 200k, there are plenty of other good schools in the US that charge a lot less.

Secondly, while uprooting everything and moving to Japan may seem like the end all perfect life choice, have a backup plan. You haven't lived there yet, and you haven't become fluent in the language. To say that shifting your life to Japan as an american would cause some culture shock would be an understatement. Their social interactions are far different than what you've been raised with, and spending your entire life there may be something you decide against in the long run.

Sunrise government needs some sort of program to increase population by letting young Americans come over and marry. Like you sign up and go meet and greet some women who signed up for the program. Kinda like speed dating but with a emphasis on marriage and kids.

is there actually a population problem?
i kinda thought this was a meme.

Not him. There's not a population problem but there's a birthrate problem because of various reasons. It's not good for a high population country to have an aging population with so few young people being born.

Great advice, thanks a lot.

If you really want to be connected to Japan when you're studying you could consider Temple University Japan, which is a 4 year american degree in tokyo. It's pretty cheap too.

I want more like this.