Passengers

>Jim wakes up 30 years into a 120 year mission
>can't go back into cryosleep, so lives alone for a year, with only the bartender and Roombas for company
>sees Aurora in a pod
>reads up on her
>watches her interviews
>reads everything she's ever written
>tells himself repeatedly that he's not going to wake her up
>one day, wakes her up
>doesn't tell her he woke her up
>they fall in love
>bartender eventually lets it slip just as he's about to propose
>she's super mad, flips out, its basically a horror movie but we're supposed to feel sorry for Jim
>Captain wakes up for no goddamn fucking reason
>only to give them a wristband with security clearance
>promptly dies without telling them any new information or how to fix the ship
>Jim fixes the ship, nearly dies
>aurora saves him
>suddenly everything's chill between them
>they live together on the ship until they die
>turn it all into a forest
>the end

How many of you faggots knew that this is what the movie was about?

Well, you're welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passengers_(2016_film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

spoiler warning?

Sounds fucking terrible.

It's not so much of a spoiler as it is a public service. The previews lied about what this movie was about. The moral quandry was handled fine and then they totally gave up and it became the most predictable cliched bullshit ive ever seen from a AAA movie

Shit I thought him waking her up was going to be the twist. Do they really just give it away from the start?
Could have made it like they both wake up and shit keeps going wrong and then it's revealed that he woke her up and has been sabotaging shit so she doesn't find out.

wasn't gonna watch it anyway

The very first thing i read about this movie long before they even started making it was that he woke her up.

there was TWO dance off scenes
don't watch this movie
its bad

A better ending would be that it was all just elaborate sci-fi marriage counselling

he spends the first 20 or 30 minutes alone, then can't bear it any longer and wakes her up

Do they ever explain why HE woke up?

??
they literally show it at the beginning

IT'S "TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF A STUPID SCI-FI MOVIE" TIME!
What was they eating all this time? Food for crew and passengers for that 4 months period before landing? I guess not, but if it's something like Star trek replicators than why the fuck it was social status locked?

DUDE deceiving and dooming people to death for your selfishness is okay if you're a white male LMAO

So is this douche just going to be in every other movie for the next 5 years then?

this

>A better ending would be that it was all just elaborate sci-fi marriage counselling

>feet cropped out

and what about the life support systems? Why were they even on if everyone was in cryosleep? But since it's on, wouldn't they use up all the air over the course of their lives?

If they even touched on that in the movie, them planting trees would have made sense, but as it is, it came out of nowhere. Makes you fill in the blanks

Imagine being Chris in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Jennifer Lawrence, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your tight body and horrific androgynous porker face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fuck Ana Faris in his dressing room with her playboy bunny outfit on. Like seriously imagine having to be Chris and not only sit in that chair while Jennifer Lawrence slowly crawls her disgusting body towards you, the favorable makeup barely concealing her resting bitch face and crows feet, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that slither. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her KATNISS STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JENNIFER LAWRENCE LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of scowls you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of wholesome Christian blondes and supermodels for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the beaches in Hawaii. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her Oscar Meyer's nose as she flares it out to suggestively attract you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Chris Pratt. You're not going to lose your future wholesome WASP nuclear family over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

This movie is literally 10 Cloverfield Lane if it tried to convince us John Goodman was the good guy

what is interesting about people complaining about him waking her up is that they would do the same

you're waking someone up, sex and intimacy is in the back of your mind and you can open any pod you want so of course you open one with a good looking person in it.

> forest

So its Silent Running?

This movie was spoiled before the first trailer came out.

Actually sounds like a decent synopsis. Why did people hate it?

Bartender is robot?

android xd

>Theres no way to get back to sleep
>last 5 minutes
>Lol jk there is a way, but theres only one medical pod for the whole 5250 crew population
>theres spare parts for everything in the ship except for that medical pod

The plot is so full of holes that one plot point is a hole in the ship that nobody noticed.

no one's complaining about that, i think everyone can and should agree that it's an interesting moral dilemma...but there is no raeson for her to forgive him at all, the way it's handled at the end feels wrong.

stockholm syndrome tho

This seems like a big missed opportunity. They could have done a Shining-esque horror film where a deranged Pratt hunts down Lawrence after she finds out he woke her up on purpose. Instead they went with this love story crap

Yea she could have been like the 100th person he's woken up & killed
xd

I hate this form of criticism.

that doesn't make it right. The movie wants you to think it's right. It doesn't even hint at stockholm syndrome

Hey reddit

then consider that the entire ending hinges on the captain waking up because of a random malfunction, the same one that woke Pratt up at the beginning. And it all comes just in the nick of time, with no explanation.

But the biggest plot hole of all is why the roombas would suddenly commit suicide

You're all weak scum

Indeed. I would open up a child's pod, that way they couldn't fight back. I could definitely overpower a kid.

Overpower and rape them, repeatedly.

I thought pratt's was some random clock malfunction, but fishburns was caused by systems over working due to ship damage

Atleast get it right, Jim said to the bartender that they had no secrets between them and the CREW CHIEF not Andy Garcia only woke up because of the ship failures and died because he wasn't brought back right.

Who wanted this film?

Men like sci Fi
Women like romance and celebs

Someone thought men would want a sci Fi movie as a vehicle for Romance

Someone thought women wouldnt just go watch a romcom instead of a sci Fi forced romance

Yeah but because he woke up Pratt was able to detect the incoming solar flares and shield the electronics on board otherwise it all would have fried and everyone would be dead.

the entire plot hinges on the computer not being capable of repairing the fucking fusion drive, when literally all it takes is hot swapping some motherboards, and that its all stuff he can manually fix in 5 minutes

or on detecting that passengers are moving around the ship doing God knows what
or the dumb idea that they could survive hits from meteors at 50% of C

>on the captain waking up because of a random malfunction
He's not a captain retard, which is said in the movie, he's like a mechanic or something

I feel like the moral problem of dragging another person into your personal hell because you're going fucking crazy and you think there's a sliver of a chance she could save you, without her fucking hating you for robbing her of the life she would have had, is something that could have been explored without sappy romance bullshit and action explosion filler.

>Its another sci fi movie that does the New Adam and Eve allegory

>everything with any amount of romance is adam & eve

This. The concept sounds interesting and nuanced. But Hollywood execution ruins it.

My brother said it best "the sci-fi nerds won't care about this because it's actually a rom-com and the rom-com fans won't care about this because it's a sci-fi."

they literally got a new garden of eden

>everything with a garden is the garden of eden

>Who wanted this film?
>Men like sci Fi
>Women like romance and celebs
Obviously the mendacious fucking marketers figured it was a slam-dunk. Sci-fi for the lads, a romance plot for the ladies. Too bad it was a creepy one.

Perfect

look, it's a man and a woman alone in a forest setting. it's not exactly rocket science, achmed. biblical allegory is the easy way to make your shitty movie seem """deep"""

There is literally nothing wrong with fusing genres. Unless you're one of those that think sci-fi should always be space battles and aliens.

I have a hard time suspending my disbelief that a society capable of building such a craft would have gotten to the stage of planning where someone asks -

>well what if someone accidentally wakes up due to a malfunction or programming error? Contingencies?
>idk, sucks to be them, lawl
So they weren't worried at all of the possibility that out of the hundreds of people frozen, if one of them woke up, went crazy, and drove the thing into the nearest asteroid field or something?

>everything is an allegory

shut the fuck up
They made themselves a garden over their 80 years until they died of old age
Thats all it is

It was pretty clear from the trailer the movie was going to suck.

>turn it all into a forest

what the hell does this even mean?

It's science bitch I ain't gotta explain shit

Didn't see the movie, but read the script a few months back. At the end, the entire ship undergoes a system reboot which launches all of the passenger sleeping pods into deep space, effectively killing everybody on board except for Jim and Aurora. One of the crew members even wakes up just as his pod launches, and he shows the protagonists this horrified expression. It's so over the top in how violent it is, that it's actually pretty funny in a schlocky kind of way. The ending tied back to the movie's theme of corporations not being as safe as they advertise, and made Aurora realize it's kind of silly to throw a hissy fit over Jim letting her out of the sleeping pod when she effectively would have died like everybody else if he hadn't.

Was any of this in the movie?

>Unless you're one of those that think sci-fi should always be space battles and aliens.
No, absolutely not. DESU i was a lot more hype for this film than Arrival, because no fucking aliens. I thought it was a mystery in space, but I guess it's something else? If the sci-fi is just set dressing though, it doesn't matter. It could easily be a building on earth, in the post-apocalypse, in some facility where the last of humankind preserve themselves for some alien race to come along and find them. when unexpectedly one of them wakes up.

shit, if you can somehow magic up the preservation aspect, you can drop the pretensions of sci-fi altogether.

Wow. Sounds like this could have been a good Thriller/horror movie in space with Chris Pratt as a psychopath.

sounds like some Max Landis type shit twist

Nope, Aurora was just suddenly okay with it for no reason. It was so fucking stupid.

>killing the other passengers
I swear to God, some script writer or the director was a big Silent Running fan. Are the roombas helper robots? With personalities? Silent Running had those too.

Seriously, if you guys haven't seen Silent Running go pirate it now and watch it. It's kino sci-fi. Unflappable Bruce Dern.

>10 Cloverfield Lane if it tried to convince us John Goodman was the good guy

Wasn't he?

Better than Shit tier romance in space.

>Are the roombas helper robots? With personalities?
But they din't had any kind of prsonality (in passengers) the closest thing was when he didn't wanted them to live the room out of lonelyness and started throwing bits of food at them and it looke kinda like he was "feeding" pets.

No, it's 10 Cloverfield Lane if John Goodman was a a hot young man. So it's okay, because Chris is a beefcake and John Goodman is fat.

That's so dumb. The script is no masterpiece, but compared to what I'm hearing about the movie, it sure has become one. Strange ending aside, the way it captures Jim's isolation in the first act is excellent. If this was a Twilight Zone-esque tv pilot about just the first 20 minutes, ending with him killing himself and maybe leaving a farewell letter outside of Aurora's pod despite being a stranger to her, it could be truly something special.

so they just clean the ship? that's kind of neat but... why? if it's a fucking ship and everyone's in stasis, exactly what are they cleaning?

anyway, watch Silent Running. Great movie, better sci-fi than this crap.

hey that's actually a better and way more suspenseful ending than what actually happened

We heard you the fourth time, fucko. We get it, Silent Running is the greatest movie of all time. Now go away.

Does anybody have a link to that scene where Jennifer and Chris are floating out in space in their spacesuits and that annoying song is playing? That was so bad on so many levels.....

That was the plot to an EC horror comic that also took place on a spaceship full of passengers where the man woke up too early. They could have literally made a straight adaptation and it would have been 100 times better.

read the wiki plot if you're confused

Chris went out in his spacesuit in the movie

That sounds unbelievably gay and awful. I don't see where they spent 110 million on for that. Reads about as complex as one of the shittier Twilight Zone episodes

When is hunko Chris going to bin that piece of shit Farris and impregnate my JLaw?

well $20 million went straight to Jennifer I can tell you that much

hopefully fucking never. Anna desu is a nice qt and he is a nice christian man and they belong together forever

In the beginning I thought there would be some kind of twist to it. Like maybe Homestead II didn't actually exist, and the company that made the ship was up to something evil. Or maybe it could have been like the Shining where Pratt goes insane and wakes people up just to hunt them down and kill them.

Seriously, this would have worked so much better as a horror movie.

Jokes on you faggot, I already read the Wikipedia summary.

>nice Christian man
He can still divorce that uggo

read it again just for fun

Get out you fucking cuck. Goddamn, I wish I could slice you in half you fucking waste of oxygen.

I did. I was expecting a dank meme edit, what the fuck, user. There's nothing. Lemme remedy that.

>getting this triggered because I said someone is ugly
lol right in your face

>and it is revealed that rainbow dash is best pony..

I'll never understand how anyone can feel sympathetic towards Jim. He ruined that poor girls life because of greediness.

Terrible human being.

Those fuckers at reddit.

>meme actress earns more money than meme actor
>fuck the patriarchy!

we must screensht this thread and post it everywhere

It was only ugly skank Jlaw so it's hard to feel sympathy

When I wake up tomorrow that better be fixed

Which pony is best?

Hey you should watch Silent Running. Have you heard of this? Bruce Dern and some other forgottens.

Great movie.

nigga I was barely able to fucking click on that

Kek