Why aren't there more movies of the Eastern Front in World War 2?

Why aren't there more movies of the Eastern Front in World War 2?

It's where the real meatgrinder was with huge casualties and human wave attacks with millions of deaths and huge tank and artillery battles

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(2013_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because lord of the rings already did humans vs. orcs

>Why aren't there more movies of the Eastern Front in World War 2?

No good guy.

Fpbp

Because burgers still think that the war was decided by them meanwhile they didn't do shit

What about the Finns? They were just defending their country from an invasion, plus they were a legit democracy.

They still got tried as part of the axis and their president went to prison, lol

They kind of did, but it would be hard to make a movie about transport ships going to Russia.

they did it, but then everyone had american and british accents.

What would you even want to see OP? A 3 hour long struggle with intermittent bouts of freezing bodies and cannibalism?

The eAstern front was absolute gobshite to fight in, and way too violent for normies

Finland was allied with Germany and the average American who is interested in a WWII movie is not interested in any of Germany's allies. If not that, then Finns are foreigners who need to hurry up and learn english and recognize superior american culture before being cared about by their american betters.

Americans are dumb and won't be able to understand Russian baddies fighting Nazi baddies

Because Americans don't like being reminded that they played a tertiary role in both world wars, like a bunch of pussies and that Russia won ww2.

Because:

* The Eastern Front didn't feature any American forces ensuring interest in the United States is low whereas they are, together with Europe, the main target audience and for a movie with a big budget you simply can't ignore them

* The Eastern Front is often described as the most ferocious and terrifying war ever fought. The immense amount of casualties, inhuman conditions, war crimes and downright atrocities are difficult to film because 1) when it's to realistic (which it should be) do remove interest from the general public or 2) when it becomes PG13 it is going to be bad an unrealistisc

* You need to show both sides of the conflic as terrible and so on, which also removes US interest in the movie

* Showing German forces with a form of sympathy is still difficult. It has been done of course (with 1993's Stalingrad for example) but still, difficult to do; especially in Germany.

>A 3 hour long struggle with intermittent bouts of freezing bodies and cannibalism?

yes

How successful was the movie Stalingrad (German one) in the USA?

People will never understand Russians without knowing about Lenningrad or Stalingrad. It's like trying to understand Alabama without fucking your own sister first.

stop calling them russians
they were soviets
ukranians fought ww2 too, you know

Because no one cares except for history spergs

I keep meaning to watch Come and See

>They still got tried as part of the axis and their president went to prison, lol

Nope. They were not tried as part of the axis, but there was basically an agreement with soviet that he go to prison and that Finns expell all Axis troops immediately. Thus the Germans still in North Finland attacked.

There are tons of movies set on the Eastern Front, you've just never heard of them)))

many are not good

Russians literally only make movies about the Eastern Front.

>ukranians fought ww2

YUP on the German side HAHAHA

Half of the guards manning polish death camps were Ukrainian askaries. Ukrainis weren't particularly rushing to defend Stalin after the holodomir, Ukrainian nationalists received support from the nazis.

Perhaps you'd like to avoid the red tape, user?

all countries had collaborators
literally hundreds of thousand of russians fought on the german side

*muffled gunshot*

That General Vlasov makes one hell of a pickle though.

>get a bad ass Nazi haircut
>dive into a shell hole for cover
>pommade fails
>suddenly look like an 80s pop star

>That poor guy that trips.

kinda

I guess

you really figure the Russians would have financed a modern day depiction of Stalingrad by now

i don't want a sanitized normalfag version either

The Commies killed Christmas after the revolution but saved western secular traditions like giving gifts, decorating trees, and watching cheese feel-good movies with the family.

So Happy New Years, Sup Forums, I hope Grampa Frost brings you something nice. May 2017 be filled with many hilarious celebrity deaths and Putin memes. Ura!

But they did.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(2013_film)
It's not great.

So did the Soviet Union/Russia even produced a good director like the american side

Polan

Eternally butt blasted europoors. You're welcome, btw.

Why are there no movies about tank battles?

Because nobody won and it's depressing.

Not like catharsis depressing where you come out of it stronger, but like just depressing where you think "well shit we really are just mindless machines."

Because you generally watch American movies and American historical movies generally relate to American history.
Go watch some Soviet flicks and stop making variations of the same thread every other day.

Uh....Soviets won pretty decisively user

I don't think any coutry produced a director as good as american ones
prolly brits
they had Kubrick

Fuck, this looks good and have not heard of it before. I have seen all the major German pieces about the Eastern Front, but not much russian work.

Is it worth watching?

"Winning" loses some of its meaning when 25 million of your countrymen died as a result.

Because no one cares about subhuman tracksuit niggers being used as bullet sponges in order tomwin battles because they are so fucking tactically incompetent. When it comes to squatting and shooting up krokodil, slavs excel. When it comes to actual critical thinking, they go full retard. That's just my opinion though, but I gotta go. Later!

As opposed to losing and being enslaved or starved by the third Reich?

It's very down to earth and has believable characters. The action is not so good, but they cover it up by focusing on just one company of men and showing their confused and limited view.

My favourite scene is when an old widow gives the protagonist an ear-full for trying to "forage" (beg, borrow or steal) food during a retreat (this is the summer before Stalingrad and the steppe is practically on fire with drought), while her son supposedly died heroically defending Moscow. Only when he gives up and decides to go back empty handed does she cave in and give her some of her supplies.

later he shoots down a low-flying plane with an AT rifle, but that's about the only far fetched scene

They would have been better off

True but in Ukraines case the collaborators fought for the Soviets.

>Attacks Czechoslovakia after Munch treaty
>Not a democracy
>Peace treaty with Hitler

So, nope.

Ukrainians fought everyone in WW2, including themselves. It was practically an extension of the Russian Civil War.

Finland and Poland

What about russian space program?

They are not that dumb.

Hitlers goal was total annihilation of all slav people, not enslavement, dumdum

>Ukrainians

>Vladimir_Komarov.jpg

Battle of Kursk movie in 2020?

generation war was german and portrayed german soldiers as sympathetic, hacksaw ridge did well and was plenty violent

>be ukrainian
>country get genocided by the actions of soviet secret police made up by 70% jews
>for some reason decide to help germans in fighting russians and killing jews
hmm i guess we'll never figure out the motive behind this

>generation war was german and portrayed german soldiers as sympathetic

Anyone ever tell you how much you look like a Jew, Schneider?

you forgot the part where the Germans started shipping Ukrainians to Germany to work slave labor and leaving the rest to starve while Himmler sent entire german families to live in the crimea region as homesteader colonists

i was explaining why ukrainians decided to join up with the germans but what you said was all true, being ukrainian during that time period would truly be suffering

A decent thread ruined by Euromaidan residue.

i dont follow

>Himmler sent entire german families to live in the crimea region as homesteader colonists

He tried that shit at Zamość in Poland too. He must have liked something about the place because the plan was to rename it "Himmlerstadt".

Friedhelm says it. Schneider gets quite hilariously sore-arsed.

oh yeah i havent seen it since when it came out i might rewatch it actually

>generation war was german and portrayed german soldiers as sympathetic
You mean like when the officer just shoots a little girl and licks his lips or something else cartoonishly retarded and it's played off like "man, the german commanders were soooo evil holy shit there's like a handful of normal dudes here but they're working for the devil"

I agree OP.I guess I'll just have to finish my screenplay.

but there were people like that...

It would fly in the face of Western propaganda of the past century which unequivocally states Russians and Soviets are bad guys.

Back to pol you russiaboo

Sure, if you're the kind of person who's understanding of WW2 is a few snippets in history class buried underneath mountains of video games and hollywood movies (ie the average American)

People weren't just going around slaughtering kids because they're weird sadists, there was a lot of racism in the German ranks in the late years but for the most part they relied on millions of Russian volunteers to help keep roads open, supply lines open, communications open, police their areas, help lookout for resistance members, etc.

One of the biggest acts of barbarity that the Generals, officers, and soldiers were upset about were their orders to execute any political commissars, regardless of whether or not they surrendered. There's also the starvation of cities that refused to surrender to the besieging troops, leading to terrible conditions on the inside, and the cruelty and barbarity of near-starving soldiers in hand to hand combat.

But the depiction they try to give isn't one of broken, desperate, violent men in a frozen wasteland - it's just sadism. And it's bad. Hell, even Russians at least spared German military doctors even if they executed everyone else and raped all the women they came across (Russian women included)

>temperatures so cold that soldiers would lose their genitals to frostbite
>having to start fires under your tanks/trucks just to thaw out the engines
>marching for miles in negative temps while in summer gear
>soldiers would fall asleep and just freeze to death

sign me up!

But einsatzgruppen existed

And let's not even get into Dirlewangers penal battalion

It's almost hard to believe this guy was real because he was so evil.

>necrophile
>pedophile
>rapist
>Dirlewanger burned women and children alive and let starved packs of dogs feed on them
>earned the notoriety as the most criminal and heinous SS unit in Hitler's war machine.

>"After the door of the building was blown off we saw a daycare-full of small children, around 500; all with small hands in the air. Even Dirlewanger's own people called him a butcher; he ordered to kill them all. The shots were fired, but he requested his men to save the ammo and finish them off by rifle-butts and bayonets. Blood and brain matter flowed in streams down the stairs."