Do you listen to any modular wank? Scifi sountracks? Radiophonic Dr Who tape-delayed spring reverbed ring modulation...

Do you listen to any modular wank? Scifi sountracks? Radiophonic Dr Who tape-delayed spring reverbed ring modulation? Bug music? Synth noise? Stockhausen? Ligeti? Avant-garde electronic?

youtube.com/watch?v=IkcS7-Heqzo

I really dig this aesthetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aesthetic
trackandhold.tumblr.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>aesthetic
you're a child

you're boring

I actually love music like this, but it's hard to find recs. Is there a chart anywhere for music like this?

also, this is unnecessary, but:
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aesthetic
>a particular theory or conception of beauty or art : a particular taste for or approach to what is pleasing to the senses and especially sight modernist aesthetics

Not that I know of, but here's a blog with a lot of it music like that and similar stuff: trackandhold.tumblr.com

A chart would be cool. I might have enough knowledge to sit down and make one.

I enjoy playing my modular but fuck listening to other people do it, lol

Working on a chart. Will post here.

Datachi, Colin Benders... the list could go on...

Here's a start.

Ligeti never did modular wank. Artikulation was all tape.

anyway I like software wank better

actually compose something with it, then it won't be boring

needs more GRM

Sure, "modular wank" wasn't meant to be all-inclusive of what I listed after.

I do, and it's not boring to me when I play, but it's still exploratory and that's not fun for an audience but who gives a shit? I own it because it's enjoyable to interact with.

>it's still exploratory and that's not fun for an audience
that's because it's formless and directionless

give it form and direction

It's not a good platform for composition. I find it frustrating to 'compose' on and since I only play it for my own enjoyment, why would I do something I find less enjoyable?

Do you have a system? What do you do with it?

What if understanding Swedish house mafia makes a way for you to connect to the underground pseudo culture of Swedish imperial fellows that own houses around the world. What if they have an insatiable urge for all to bring them gold and silver, they invite you to join them and they even have secretly dominated koningsberg since the deluge and they believe in soldier cops with spears that have been wearing the skyrim guard armor with a blue cape since the late 80s.

Is this Markov text?

What if, user?

I'm not that user, but I think about this subject a lot. I have a few small systems with limited or no sequencing. I compose on them by working up a patch I like that is playable to some extent - by controlling some combination of parameters - and going on a walk of sorts with those parameters, changing the sound over time and hopefully leaving the listener in a different place from where they started.

Or I just build a patch that sounds nice to me and that can evolve on its own somewhat and just record the output for a while.

I do lots of drone with lots of manual tuning by ear, filter FM. Trying to get into manually beatmatching unsynced percussive sequences. I'd like to do more generative Krell type stuff but my system isn't really big enough.

You don't need a big system for generative stuff as long as you have a couple of sample & holds or other random voltage generators and lots of CV inputs. The smaller the system, the more knobs you turn to guide things through a recording.

I guess if you're trying to build more traditional musical/rhythmic structure that's generative then things do start to get kinda big.

Or you get an Ornament & Crime and a Temps Utile and have at it.

autechre
richard devine
ralp
randomform
annie hall
datach'i

just get a laptop and audio interface

And Pure Data or VCV Rack, yeah.

Yeah I don't have much in the way of random voltages. Was thinking of getting an O&C and/or an SSF Ultra Random Analog but that means freeing up HP or buying a new case... Really need more modulation and VCAs more. A dixie and wavefolder sound tempting too... This is why I try not to indulge in these ideas too much.

>It's not a good platform for composition.
Sure it is. That's the kind of shit that Subotnick used. Stockhausen worked with far less.

>why would I do something I find less enjoyable?
I dunno, why read a book when you can masturbate and take a nap?

>Do you have a system? What do you do with it?
I use software.

I respect what those dudes did but I don't enjoy listening to it.

Masturbating and taking naps is most of what I do.