Harry Potter

Was this a power play?

He knew Ron was poor.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P3VfvkiwFxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. What he did to him in the bathroom afterwards was a power play though.

He didn't know Ron was poor, I think.

Harry doesn't usually flash his money around in later books/movies that I remember, though, except for when he goes out of his way to help Ginny with something or other (like giving her an entire set of required textbooks in the second book).

But did he know that he is in one of the dullest franchises?

> Harry doesn't usually flash his money around

He's Harry Potter. That's like saying Bill Gates' son doesn't bother telling the other kids his dad is rich.

He's got a solid inheritance in terms of money, but he comments in the books that it'd be enough to last through school and for a few years afterwards, and he really doesn't like being the centre of attention.

His name, on the other hand, is probably the most well-known in the wizarding world.

Should sectumsempra be the 4th meme curse?

No. The memory-wiping one should be.

Go back to /r/books

>tfw you will never be the chosen one forced into a haunted deathtrap of a school where the teachers are either evil or actively manipulating your life

feels good man

How many people even knew it existed?

Snape made it up himself. He knew about it, he probably used it a couple of times, Harry knew about it and used it once.

Does anybody else ever demonstrate knowledge of the spell, how to block it, how to cure it, or really anything?

Wrong pasta, big guy.

I wonder if there is a black market for celebrity hairs and whatever to use in polyjuice potions

>tfw you would be the average hufflepuff kid from an average family in the background somewhere having a comfy christmas at hogwarts
>tfw harry keeps causing trouble with his fag friends and ruining your comfy christmas

At least the movie kind of implied that Voldemort finished Snape with it, but Snape probably either told him or let Voldemort read about it from his mind

I thought the snake bit the shit out of Snape

Thanks
No it was just more dull shut in one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises ever made. Seriously, each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Voldemort slit his throat first. Whether he did it with Sectumsempra or not isn't clear, just that it was some sort of magic.

Since Sectumsempra basically fucking vivisects the target, I doubt it was that, Riddle's throat slicing was far too clean and simple.

It did, then Voldemort does something with his wand and Snape's throat is slit. Can't remember how it happened in the books though

>goes out of his way to help Ginny
He has good taste.

but the ministry needs it to use on muggles whenever the masquerade is violated

Right, the throat slashing came first. Anyway it is left unclear, one could also assume that Harry mutilated Draco so bad because he aimlessly threw that spell without really knowing what happens

Considering he never really had money before its doubtable, really he was buying his friendship, which Ron being the whore for snacks he is he sold all in right away.

In fairness to Harry, it was "try this spell in hopes it does something" or "get hit with Cruciatus Curse".

Potter wasn't rich. In money terms, it's something like this:
>Dumbledore
>Malfoy
>Black
>power gap
>Potter
>rest of the wizards
>Dobby
>Weasley

Harry inherits the Black money though doesn't he? When Sirius dies and leaves everything to Harry.

Member harry potter!
Member childhood interests!
Member wanting to regress from modern life because I'm too much of an infantilized waster?

Freakin hell /film/ backed by /lit/s janitor and mod can't come soon enough

>he was buying his friendship
nah mon it was barter
ron gave him his manwich, harry gave him his snacks

Yes, but it is in half way through the series. Before that Sirius was in jail and his money was frozen, or something.

Calm down Quentin

He was still able to buy a Firebolt for Harry (the super-broom) in book 3 just by sending an owl to the bank with authorisation, regardless of whether he's a fugitive or not.

I don't think the Gringotts goblins give a shit about who's in prison, if said person says "use my money and buy X for Y" then they'll do it.

Not a chance when it teaches children to just be passive. It's revenge fantasy, it glorifies passivity. Harry's volition is abnegated. This is also a criticism that could be made about a lot of other children's stories: they teach passivity by having characters who are passive but virtuous triumph over characters who are evil but actually do something.

This creates a bubble of narcissism around the psyche of the child which must painfully be broken.

The child thinks that just because they don't hurt anyone and rather are the type of person to get hurt by others, they have some sort of value in life, they'll be rewarded. The actual and sad truth (as you all know) is that we all have to steer our own fates and work hard towards our happiness.

This isn't what you wanna hear if you're an adult child who was raised on Harry Potter.

Man Potion making looks comfy as fuck. I wish there were more scenes of that

It seems pretty difficult actually. Harry got the shit end of the deal too with Snape.

maybe it's only hard because they're using imperial units and never have to take math classes

holy shit that actually makes a lot of sense, I was raised by Harry Potter and turned out beta as fuck man

Reminder that in book 6 the instructions are literally incompetent compared with what Harry uses from Snape's notes.

>If I'd wanted a conversation with a cunt, I'd have gone to the have a conversation with a cunt shop.

I thought this was for kids.

Well yeah.
*leans closer to the mic*
Books alter your mind and your perception of the world powerfully. What goes into your head has an effect. Same for all the other media you consume --- TV you watch, magazines and newspaper articles, music you listen to, etc.

Now, this is especially true for children. Children are extraordinarily influenced by what they read as well as by what they watch and what other they consume, because they've had far less time to develop and to absorb a lot of life so they could make reasoned judgments on how realistic or unrealistic, moral or immoral, good or bad a work of art is.

They take what they read as gospel about human nature. Children are being educated about what the world is like and how to think and feel when they read Harry Potter (and of course also when they consume other media). If you're getting these cliched views about human nature, with, moreover, something that reinforces your childish narcissism and escapism, it's not gonna be good.
*looks over to jaime*

It affects you in sub conscious levels, so that if you watch a cuck hero your whole childhood you will grow up to be a cuck most likely

>ywn be a ravenclaw getting up to magical drug fueled mischief and fucking hufflepuff qts with your patrician friends
kill me

yes, he was buying him.
yes
>How many people even knew it existed?
Im not expert but are not all wand spells logged by the ministry?

kekus

Most are, but Sectumsempra was Snape's own invention and it doesn't seem he spread it around much, since he explicitly knew to immediately question how Harry learned it. If it was a registered spell, then why would he be so curious about where Harry got it from?

I think the money was still moving. There is no logical reason to freeze it because real world reasons don't apply also he was not he bankrolling the order of the phoenix

>passive but virtuous triumph over characters who are evil but actually do something.
That is also my problem with YA and most anime.

if I believe that I would have to agree with feminists and take out boobs out of products, so I will reject this notion. you are only effected if you reject all other input and don't do any thinking of your own

if the ministry can detract all spells than they would be curious about an unregistered spell
>why would he be so curious about where Harry got it from?
because its rare?

youtube.com/watch?v=P3VfvkiwFxY

They only detect magic being used when it's by somebody underage. It'd probably just blink up as "unknown spell/magical pattern used at X location at Y time".

And yes, it's rare. So rare that we only see two people, arguably three, who know what it was and what it does. Harry using it is what leads Snape to immediately realise how he knows it, so it can't be in many other locations, if any. Hermione doesn't even have any idea what "sectumsempra" is.

You just know you and the lads would whip some wild spells on some cocks and tits.

>not wanting to be Gryffindor and get the delicious red and gold qt3.14s who wear their hearts on their sleeves

>They only detect magic being used when it's by somebody underage.
so there is no patriot act tracking all wands in case someone uses a forbidden spell? I mean how do you enforce the the law?

Nailed hard on, user.

t. Former Harry fag.

You have to track down the person with their specific wand (since everybody buys their wands from 2-3 people it's not hard to check), and do a test on the wand to see what the previous spells used were. We see it happen in the fourth book.

stop posting joe
stop encouraging joe posters

stop the onnit
stop buckle up bitchs

>buying the entire cart

What a greedy cunt. What are the others supposed to eat?

She just gets more.

Trolley lady has all sorts of questionable magic, considering that her job is to keep students on the train from acting too dangerously. This includes turning herself, or at least her hands, into giant monster claws on demand.

He knew a bunch of other spells he could use, he just wanted to BTFO Malfoy

I mean, who wouldn't

Go back to tumblr

>Harry uses the spell
>gets in trouble
>Hermione bitching about how it'll ruin Quidditch chances
>Ginny stands up and tells her not to say shit about Quidditch when she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about

Don't fucking remind me of that retarded play

Let's just all pretend it doesn't exist

The Harry Potter series is vapidly narcissistic. Everything is about Harry, how he starts off as an abused weakling and then is revealed to be the world's most powerful wizard by absolutely no doing of his own. It doesn't matter what Harry does, what matters is that he just IS great, IS amazing no matter what, and so are his friends, of course, to the degree that they love him, but of course none of them are so great as him.

It's psychologically injurious wish-fulfillment. The morals, the divisions between good and evil, are trite and simplistic. It's clear what camp everyone falls into.

Voldemort is evil, he must be killed. Yay, he's dead, everything's better now.

The greatest it tries to develop any ambiguity is the terribly cliched Snape, basically just a shitty Byronic hero who critics are amazed by because it seems great compared to the rest of the series.

>he doesn't want to hear about Harry being head of Magical Law Enforcement
Although I will admit that the Quidditch World Cup thing was as a whole much better.

I know this is stale pasta, but I don't disagree.

With most anime? It seemed like they usually have the kids saving themselves or just getting help with friends to fight together, which seems marginally better.

Yes, it's a children's book series, get over it.

I don't want to read about his midlife crisis and retarded entitled kid, or about Voldemort's literal anime Mary-Sue daughter.

Literally the same.

Also, Harry Potter started as a detective story, and been that way for the first 4 books. Being reactionary is an inherent part of being a detective.

Was Ginny a golddigger?

All women are.

Honestly? No.

What if they killed some guy and it was never reported. they took his wand and have been doing evil with it ever since. to track down a person you would have to first suspect that they used a forbidden spell which would be impossible if there are no witnesses. knowing previous spells used also does not prove that they are the ones that used them.

>after spending some time messing around with the bbc she finds a nice rich beta guy to settle with

mmmmmh...

I think that was more of a 90s thing. these days protagonists just wait around for things to happen to them. they are reactionary instead of being proactive

>Yes, it's a children's book series, get over it.
No You come to my board to push your propaganda because /lit/ won't let you anymore and this is what happens you piece of anti human trash.

yet having watched trollhunters and read few other books I would say harry potter is one of the more subtle and tolerable examples

In the book he just waves his wand. Snake thinks he used a spell but then realized he let Nagini out of the magical cage she was in. Then the snake bites his neck.

shut up, Astoria loved draco for real

Thats perfectly fine to fans of this series though. It is for liberals after all

>m-muh propaganda

Top autism.

>these days protagonists just wait around for things to happen to them.

So? should they go out looking for trouble? of course they react to stuff that happens to them, they're not the police. What can they be proactive about when they are fucking school children?

Passive? Harry gets in fights with Draco Crabbe Goyle Neville Ron Seamus and a few others in school. Teaches a whole secret club in fighting with magic. And fights monsters and bad guys all the time.
He tries to Crucio Bellatrix in 5 and even Crucios a death eater in 7 because he spit in his teachers face.
Just cause he doesn't Avada Kadavera all day long doesn't make him passive.

Then yes, they'd potentially get away with it, although it's also mentioned that the unforgivables require a lot of magic and a certain propensity for darkness (to use Cruciatus you need to WANT the person to suffer, really suffer, "righteous anger" isn't nearly enough, for example).

Part of the point of forbidden, unforgivable spells is that they're unforgivable, utterly taboo, like dropping a nuke. 99.9% of wizards wouldn't even think of using them, to the point that just mentioning them and seeing them demonstrated is horrifying.

There's actually a lot of retarded fanfiction about Harry going out to fight and kill gangs of Death Eaters when he's fucking 13, or getting into wizards politics at age 11, I shit you not. They completely miss the point of a detective story.

>So? should they go out looking for trouble? of course they react to stuff that happens to them, they're not the police. What can they be proactive about when they are fucking school children?
do I need to spell it out? By waiting around I mean they know someone is after them but instead of making preparations or learning something that can help they are usually more occupied with school and romance, often just betting on an asspull.
>looking for trouble
How about having ambition or drive, how about the good guy wanting to seek immortality and having opponents instead of some evil destroying his village or something. I want to see people wanting to make something out of themselves and actively working towards that instead of banking on hidden powers/parentage and being resentful of the successful boy in school

To be fair, Harry's "beta" attitudes were either him not realising he liked her that way even when everybody else was rooting for it, or him being nervous he'd ruin his best friendship over it.

>Part of the point of forbidden, unforgivable spells is that they're unforgivable, utterly taboo, like dropping a nuke. 99.9%

>harry uses one in the lobby of the ministry of magic, then on some guy just for spitting on his teacher
>mcgonagall uses imperius to subdue carrow even when she could use a hundred different spells to do it

The Unforgivables are a meme, everyone threw them around like candy in the end

Yes, and Harry using them isn't meant to make you think "they're not that bad", it's to make you realise that the main characters aren't entirely good people.

>certain propensity for darkness
all humans have that and you don't need ultra darkness to want to kill someone.
>a lot of magic
it can't be that much since they don't use guns or any other tools because its more easier to use spells.
>99.9% of wizards wouldn't even think of using them
don't delude yourself

The Prime Minister basically asks this in the first chapter of book 6.

He says something like but you guys can do magic. Why can't you catch or stop Voldemort?
Fudge and Scrimgour tell him cause the other side can do magic too.

Pretty much Voldemorts magic is better so they can't find him.

You do need darkness to go through with the Killing Curse. Murder canonically pollutes your soul in the Potter setting, it's why you need to do it to create a Horcrux.

Was good until it told Ron to check his privilege.

Some fat white tumblr bitch clearly wrote this.

>making preparations or learning something that can help

They are. They're at a fucking school. That's what they do all day.

Sorry but 11 year olds don't have a drive to save the world. They do so because there's no one else to. Did you have that sort of an ambition when you were 11? that's autistic as fuck. Harry's ambition was at sports, not at being le ultimate warrior.

But you know, I'd really like you to write a book like this, because after it will fail at selling you'd realize why protagonist are usually reactive instead of pro-active. It's just the formula that works, have been for thousands of years, and while ambition is admirable, most people don't care about characters who only care about their ambition.

yeah but im not talking about Voldemort. Im talking about an average criminal wizard or hell draco and kids like him, you know his daddy is evil and since draco is young and stupid he is more likely to slip up so were is the surveillance

i wish he reviewed films
imagine how much better Sup Forums could have turned out
instead we got a jawless hack and a gay black republican

Book 7 is all about how the moment they're old enough they drop out of school to actively search and fight and defeat the people trying to kill them.
They all have the trace on them and still aren't aloud to do magic out of the school. Kinda makes it hard to be proactive.
Even the order won't let Fred and George join while they're in school despite being of age.

>They're at a fucking school. That's what they do all day.
im sorry but regular curriculum is clearly not enough to take on the dark lord and hours spend learning divination is not going to help anyone.
>11 year olds
implying same does not apply to 15 and 17 year old protagonists.
>It's just the formula
>it won't sell
wow quality arguments
>only care about their ambition.
I did not say they only care about it. for example in The Black Star (The Cycle of Arawn book 3) MC wants immortality so he goes on a quest to get it but when his best friend is dying he uses the tool that would make him immortal to save his friend. The way you word it just back the old notion that ambition= evil and good people should not want things while still expecting them to fall into their lap

Now, there's also a reason why most of those characters survive by an "asspull" or "hidden powers". It's about tension. You don't get into the drama that much if you know the character isn't in real danger, or is a pretty good odds to win.

Having half the book about training to become badass is also bad for narrative. Believe me, I've read these fanfictions where Harry spends all day in the room of requirement practicing spells with a time turner. It's boring as fuck. It's not attractive in the slightest to a reader.

Books aren't real life, they don't function by the same rules, and we shouldn't expect them to, because otherwise they'll be boring. "Realistic" writing is the worst trend in the 21st century, and attracts nobody but autists who want everything to be reasonable.

How was Dumbledore rich?