Is Paul w.s. Anderson an autuer?

Is Paul w.s. Anderson an autuer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14LMLmDZIVs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Didn't he marry Milla after working on resident evil? The lucky bastard.

RE is his one great film, lightning in a bottle. It's a glimpse into what he could have been, but unfortunately it was all downhill from there

dude, it's just Aliens with shitty characters

Of course he is.
Better than Aliens.

Aliens is Aliens with shitty characters

Anyway, yes, I recognize that it's a stealth remake. A remake that is frankly, superior to the original. It's more stylish, visually interesting and has far better pacing. Not to mention no obnoxious jingoistic marine retards spouting catchphrases. The thing Aliens does better is the special effects, but then again it's impossible to top Stan Winston.

no way. Aliens has a bunch of great memorable characters. I don't even remember anyone's name in RE except Alice
Aliens is way better in every aspect. RE has this really dated and frankly embarrassing early 2000s aesthetic with the gimmicky editing and bad nu metal score and bad CGI monster

Aliens is garbage as action, garbage as thriller or horror.

>RE has this dated look.
Of course, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just time capsule to certain aesthetic and here it works.

>gimmicky editing
lol what? like seriously, what?

>the first one was good and the others sucked!
uh no you were just 12 when the first one came out. the first 3 are around the same level of enjoyable but not good.

Milla was top tier qt in the first film. What happened?

If you like ANY of these FUCKING GARBAGE movies

You dont deserve to post on Sup Forums

FUCK OFF

I like the second and third ones faggot, but guess what, he didn't direct those. And yes, they are legitimately good. Okay, well maybe not Apocalypse, that's more so-bad-it's-good.

Event Horizon is trashkino.

all the slo-mos with kewl sound effects, wonky cuts to flashbacks and everything, it's so bad. it's incredible you consider RE to be "great" and your bizarre hate boner for Aliens of all things suggests you have amazingly bad taste so I'm not going to even bother anymore

lol
These movies are some of the best technically bad movies out there. Comfy as fuck to watch, beginning to end

End yourself

>no way. Aliens has a bunch of great memorable characters.
Sure they're memorable, memorable as in so fucking annoying that I can't forget them. So goddamn insufferable that I was cheering for the xenomorphs to slaughter their asses

>I don't even remember anyone's name in RE except Alice
Well I do

>Aliens is way better in every aspect. RE has this really dated and frankly embarrassing early 2000s aesthetic with the gimmicky editing and bad nu metal score and bad CGI monster
Aliens is just as dated in its own way, and the early 2000s aesthetic and industrial score (it's not numetal retard) are great. And the CGI doesn't hold up as badly as I thought it would, watched it a few days ago.

>all the slo-mos with kewl sound effects, wonky cuts to flashbacks and everything, it's so bad.
more like awesome

>it's incredible you consider RE to be "great" and your bizarre hate boner for Aliens of all things suggests you have amazingly bad taste so I'm not going to even bother anymore
the only one with the hate boner here is you.

I consider it a pretty good film. Aliens and all of Cameron's work is pretty much a huge letdown and shitshow to me.

Aliens isn't scary. Aliens doesn't have well shot action. Aliens doesn't have stakes of any kind. Only good part is Ripley and the kid's story/narrative. Resident Evil (in fact all of PWSA's RE films) have good to great action scenes and set-pieces, Milla's coming of age arc in the first one is interesting enough.

its shit and nothing like the game.

the CGI Resident Evil movie is better and actually like the game.

>best technically bad movies

You fucking moron

The memory loss is a great plot device, the way it has the audience discover what's going on just as Alice is figuring it out. It creates a bond between the viewer and the protagonist so that we give a shit

So much more investing than Ripley and her mama bear routine.

The Guardian of Good Taste is here to protect us all from fun, everybody.

I gave a shit because the opening scene/intro to the film with her in the shower is so beautiful and haunting. I don't think the film would've worked on personal level if that opening/intro wouldn't be so fantastic. It's one of my favorite beginnings to any film, ever.

It really is a great intro, also it was a great filming location. It was a former Nazi Headquarters, if I'm not mistaken.

>muh vidya
no one cares

It was, yeah. Pretty much 10/10 start to a film. I wish, stylistically/visually, PWSA could pull it off more often. He doesn't even try for it, he has his own ideas which I respect, but it is definitely not a style for me (referring to later RE films here).

>people actually defending paul ws anderson movies

What the fuck is wrong with this board

>waah Metacritique told me they're bad waah.
They're philosophical films.

>I watch vidya game movies but dont play the games

Expecting a faithful adaptation of a video game is asinine, they're two wildly different mediums. The RE films are a separate animal, whining that they "aren't enough like the games" is not a valid criticism.

meant for

unironically, yes

then again, you could say the same about snyder and michael bay. tim burton, for example was clearly an auteur.

there are two Resident Evil CGI movies that are exactly like the games.

these Mila Jovovitch movies are just exploiting the Resident Evil Name to make money, they are disgusting.

if Anderson wants to make a zombie horror movie, then do so but fuck off raping the Resident Evil Brand.

>these Mila Jovovitch movies are just exploiting the Resident Evil Name to make money, they are disgusting.
yeah, and I'm sure the games were made as a contribution to society, not an attempt to make any kind of profit

>if Anderson wants to make a zombie horror movie, then do so but fuck off raping the Resident Evil Brand.
You don't seem to understand how Hollywood works. He was hired to make an RE movie, and used this opportunity to make the film he wanted to make. He had no choice but to work inside the RE brand where he could get a decent budget. Hollywood isn't a place where you can just decide to make a movie and be given millions.

A good movie is a good movie, whether or not it "exploits an existing IP" isn't relevant to anyone except fanboys.

Bud I hate to break it to you but the RE games aren't exactly high art to begin with, great games and classics, sure, but jill sandwiches and giant spiders, while wonderfully campy, aren't any smarter than the live action movies

desu. the PWSA directed Resident Evil films are legit smart films.

The man just needs to hire a better and more strict cinematographer to hide PWSA's ugly visual aesthetics.

Yeah but being an auteur doesn't mean you're a good filmmaker, it just means you have your own style. Baz Luhrmann is also an auteur and he's almost as big a hack as Paul.

Don't worry capcom is raping the RE brand on their own since Mikami left.

I liked the 7 demo.

When did Paul W.S. Anderson fans invade Sup Forums? What happened to Sup Forums's worship of James Cameron? Aliens shits all over everything Paul W.S. Anderson has made. Hell, Avatar shits all over everything Paul W.S. Anderson has made and it isn't even good.

In what way are they smart films? Not even shitposting I just want to hear your thoughts.

They're pretty much straight action films, but a lot of their themes revolve around world creation and destruction which will always lead back to cinema's nature as such. There are a lot of scenes that play with the idea of cinema as false prophet of truth, a lot of negative commentary on how fake the worlds created are and how they're far from the truth. Hell you could probably tie the last two (Retribution and Afterlife) to Adam Curtis post-truth documents in a meaningful way.. Retribution has a very meaningful (at least I found it) small narrative for Alice as a mother and how she can't be it and it's quite tragic and sad how it get splayed out, willfully lying to herself for a moment to just to love and care of someone (maybe because she wasn't tainted by the apocalypse). It's such a sad moment in the film. All of the action set pieces in Afterlife and Retribution are good and full of (unique) well shot action. Rodriguez's simulation (from the first film) sinking is also a such a heartfelt moment, despite her being against Alice and co - and this final setpiece feels natural and organic. It doesn't feel like a forced confrontation to end the film and it's well shot and edited.

While I was harsh about his visual aesthetics, the shower fight in Afterlife is beautiful and brilliant and in the same film Alice fights Wesker in an utterly bizarre fight. The films can be really experimental when it gets to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=14LMLmDZIVs

And I'm pretty sure Afterlife and Retribution would work the same as silent films, they're so heavy on visual storytelling)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98
can't believe this wasn't posted yet

>When did Paul W.S. Anderson fans invade Sup Forums?
I've been here since 2007

>What happened to Sup Forums's worship of James Cameron?
those retards are still around I believe, you're obviously one of them

I haven't watched a single one of these guys videos and I wont start now.

But based on the title it's probably their reaction to the absurd final fight of Afterlife?

meanwhile they glorify capeshit, right? so who the fuck cares about those fatfucks? RE is good trashkino

Yeah, just nonstop laughter

rlm is pretty good despite what people on Sup Forums say because their autism won't let them process differing opinions

it's like pottery

James Cameron was a God tier director from The Terminator to True Lies but I don't worship him. Titanic and Avatar are pretty bland although both of them are better than Paul's films.

>are better than Paul's films.
That's like your opinion dude.

>tfw dislike Terminator 2.

At the very least he appreciates chunky nipples.

Event Horizon is pure scifi horror kino and re1 is good. PwsA good? Some of his stuff is "so bad its good" which takes him down a peg or two. Cringe appreciation is played out.