Anyone else here incapable of watching television shows? What's your reason?

Anyone else here incapable of watching television shows? What's your reason?

I don't think it's an attention span thing, but for some subconscious reason I just can't invest myself into a multi-season show. The exception is the best of the best like the Sopranos but even then I'm just jumping in every couple months. The only thing I can make it through are relatively short series (8 eps per season) that are kind of meant to be plowed through like Stranger Things or True Detective.

A reason I am aware of is that I write films and when I tried making my way through a tv this past summer I felt my writing style conform to that longer format. I begin giving my characters more room for development like they have a whole season for their arc. Which, except for my trilogy and some of my 3+ hour films, isn't true.

TL;DR: Why can't you watch tv shows anymore, buddy?

I can. You can't. You have advance autism and/or add.

I get what you're saying OP. You just gotta condense the characters so that their growth happens in a shorter amount of time, but is still a steady, gradual, growth.

Stop watching on your laptop and put them on a tv to watch without distractions.

Dual monitor, or tv and monitor with whole seasons, you're probably missing out on some good entertainment but I don't think you should have to feel you need to watch anything if you don't want to.

I normally watch them on TV, laptop at my side for notes and stuff but I'll try just watching with only the TV next time.

And nice Chastain. Thanksx2, bud.

How lesser of an experience would it be to have something play on a monitor while doing something else?

What're you taking notes for?

That's a good idea. I'm sure I can make the characters' respective arcs more brief without cutting TOO much out. I hate taking a butcher knife to my stories, but if I want them to live as films its seems I have no other option.

Thanks, bud.

Story stuff, primarily. Mostly character interactions/attributes. Sometimes cinematography but that's rare since shows typically doesn't prioritize how they looks.

Not much really, if it's subbed then obviously it needs more attention.

I have a 32" tv as my second screen and a monitor if the show has captivating scenes then just watch them more intently as you naturally would.
I was using my tv as a monitor for years. Harsh doing that and limiting.

I remember trying that dual-monitor thing when I used to watch anime and it really didn't work. That's probably why I haven't tried it since, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm out at a shooting location rn but when I get back I'll try that setup out. I use a tv as a monitor too and its been pretty decent, should just be a matter or re-arrangement.

Forgot the complimentary Chastain-- my b

If they're both connected then when you want to do the odd bit of browsing or whatever you can, also sometimes the other way around, pausing the tv show.
I think with anime I like to pay more attention because of the fast moving nature of it.
Thanks for the pics! Yum

I'm like you OP. I rarely watch tv shows and when I do it's stuff that has been finished and vetted like Rome or The Wire.

My brother made me watch Westworld and I fucking regret it.

I was interested in that only because it seems to care about its cinematography. And Hopkins is normally fun to watch.

What made you regret it?

>this is how autists lives

Yep. TV is an inferior medium to cinema. I have not been impressed by any of the garbage you all meme about
>muh game of thrones, stranger things, breaking bad

None of them ever come close to the greatness of film

I can only watch comedy shows and Twin Peaks

Watch Twin Peaks

I really do like having them connected. There's a mild disengagement when you have to use a different computer to pause/watch/whatever.

And I agree, anime's pacing (especially with fight scenes) almost makes it mandatory to pay attention because the impact/tension of scenes just falls apart otherwise. And most anime REALLY likes to take its time and pad its narrative with insignificant fan service, which is what is repelling me from the whole medium. Still fun to watch with friends, though.

>how autists lives
nice grammar

>want to watch when a show as it airs to build excitement for the next episode
>want to wait until the series has finished so i can watch it at my own pace
>do neither

i think i'm just broken

TV format is better than film format. The only issue is that television rarely has anything good to offer which sucks.

It's probably because TV got big as cinema became a business instead of an art that's its had such arrested development. The "it gives you more time to flesh out the characters" argument can be true (Sopranos is the best example of this, imo) but a lot of the time its similar to what said: it can almost always be condensed.

The most frustrating part is how people don't explore tv's potential. We have showrunners instead of creators. There aren't any artistic investigations/explorations of the medium because you have to work within a business to get anything started.
Now that I think about it, Twin Peaks is the only real "arthouse" show I can think of.

for consumerism, yeah its better. but i dont think its proved to have the same capabilities as film.

I don't watch tv shows because most of them don't care about cinematography at all. They all seem hyper focused on the writing and how to create shock and awe with the next plot point. It's a visual medium that is obsessed with just telling the viewer what is and will happen

Totally, dude. Its kind of like serialized theatre, in a way. True Detective is the only show I can think of that isn't obsessed with trying to keep people reeled in. The crime plot is almost arbitrary compared to the characters. And the cinematography is serviceable/pretty good, which is more than I can say for most shows. But even then, I can't say its as good as I want it to be.

>jc13

How big is your chastain folder

Around 30 but I'm getting more as we speak.

She is 39 year old women without kids say something nice!

I find it really hard to watch TV shows due to my attention span. My friend tried to make me binge watch the blacklist and after episode 2 it felt like a chore and I had to take a brake. I just watch show one or two episodes at a time.

She's got a wholly unique screen presence and the Tree of Life would have been lesser without her.

Blacklist seems pretty lame, desu, and like its made for being watched once a week. If you wanna give binge watching a shot I suggest Stranger Things. It didn't light my world on fire but its a fine melodrama and I appreciated how sincere/self-aware it was. Plus it seems built to be binge watched, playing out like a ~8 hour movie.

IIRC she drank a ludicrous amount of milk to "beef up" for that role.

manfaced bitch

I appreciate you, bud.

She wasn't very notable in the Martian

IMO nothing about that movie was notable except for reminding me how good Star Man by Bowie is and how seamless digital matte paintings can be

There are way too many shows and the vast majority are not worth watching. I'm to the point where a show has to end and people tell me the ending is worth it before I'll watch it, because I've wasted too much time watching 1-2 seasons of a show that turns to utter crap and gets strung out for 4 more years by the studio even though they don't have any more good ideas.

Those shoes appear unstable

>how to defend yourself from an attacker weilding a banana who can only move at 20% of normal speed

>tfw you will never hold a banana and be taken down by Jessica Chastain while Bill Bailey observes wistfully

"the golden age of television" is barely golden.