What is the big fucking deal with the SM-57? Does the 'M' stand for 'Meme...

What is the big fucking deal with the SM-57? Does the 'M' stand for 'Meme?" I finally got one and it sounds like a built-in laptop mic.

Other urls found in this thread:

drivemehomeplease.bandcamp.com/album/infinite-tsukuyomi
youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>it sounds like a built-in laptop mic

The SM-57 isn't the best mic in the world but it gets a lot of attention because it's one of the most versatile mics on the market

What i'm trying to tell you is that if your recordings sound like shit using mainly a SM-57, it's probably because you have no fucking idea what you're doing with it.

>Does the 'M' stand for 'Meme?"
kek

Could record pretty much anything with a 57/ It's the go-to "wtf is this and how do we record it?" mic

this.

I had to record my vocals on my last album through my built in laptop mic, I would have lover to have a 57.

>my last album
Link?

i got one to mic my cab and it sounds great.
i'm thinking it's the sound source that's the problem. either that or you got ripped off and it's some chinese shit.

>Could record pretty much anything with a 57/ It's the go-to "wtf is this and how do we record it?" mic
This. And it'll get used because of this in 40 years when someone brings a guitar amp into a studio and it'll become, for the 2nd time, the standard mic for recording guitar amps.

i recorded two eps with this lol. at the time i didn't know any better and didn't care.

If you`re using it for your voice you're supposed to use a sm-58 as it's the version for vocals. you have to have really good mic technique to keep choked up on it. also you can pick one up on Craigslist for 60 bucks

No vocals for me; I was hoping to use it with violins, violas, and clarinets.

drivemehomeplease.bandcamp.com/album/infinite-tsukuyomi

lol faggot OP is so bad at recording he thinks it's the 58's fault kekkity wowza

>5757 digits
wasted by calling the mic in OP's picture an SM58

It's just a really solid durable all round mic

>674▶

this mic sucks. doesn't even work with my scarlett 18i8 and has no presence.

Idk what any of this means, is this just a bad mic for first time musician??

>doesn't even work with my scarlett 18i8

I literally do not understand why it would not work with an interface that has XLR input.

It's ok for guitar and drums. It's dogshit for vocals.

>doesn't even work with my scarlett 18i8
you're doing something wrong.

sm58 has pretty much same capsule as 57 so stop talking out your ass pleb

why would u buy a dynamic mic to record string or wind lol

I'm a live sound engineer and this thread is really entertaining to me.

0/10 bait, not even trying neck yourself nig nog

yeah your problem is mainly that youre retarded, definitely shouldve got a condensor for that

They're mediocre and that translates into the music

Hear that snare? Crisp, not too harsh, has a decent amount of body? SM57. And just the top, no bottom mic.

A good engineer can make a less expensive mic sound good. A bad engineer can't make a U47 sound good if they tried.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Great example of what the SM57 is capable of and I had no idea it was used on this track at all. But yes, it is a fantastic mic.

SM-70 were better.

Whenever there's a discrepancy between 40 years of experienced live and studio sound engineers and some random faggot on the internet you can be pretty certain the random faggot on the internet is wrong.

To be fair depending on what he wants to record no engineer may want to use that mike for that

>it sounds like a built-in laptop mic.
Are you plugging it through a USB cable or something?

That was recorded on an SM7, not SM57.

There's really no situation where it would be as bad as the OP is saying though. Drums and cabs are the SM-57's strong suits, but it's perfectly serviceable as a vocal mic or even for some brass. Not ideal, but not horrible either.

It's really good for recording snares, at that price point.

I really doubt somebody used a SM7 for snare since it's a vocal mic with a huge pop filter.

depends on the singer

Maybe use a proper mixer and soundcard with it, ever heard of a bottleneck?
I also have one and it gets the job done whether I'm recording guitars, vocals or amps. It's not the best, a bit muffled, but very versatile.

I should add that is right, it's god-tier for amps and drums, but makes the vocals weak shit.

fucking newbs lmao

it's alright for live vox but on recording you'll sound better through a condenser, shit works beautifully for guitars and drums

You probably have a dogshit pre-amp and audio interface.

Only difference is the pop filter. You’re gonna want an external one anyway.

For a lot of dynamically delicate and tonally rich music you’re gonna want a condenser. But an SM-57 is fucking great for recording drums, guitar amps, rap vocals, screamed vocals, brass, etc. If you’re singing or playing a violin or a fingerpicked acoustic guitar it might not be the best

i record everything except drums with an SM58 and nobody will ever convince me to switch to an SM57 (having worked with both, of course, SM57 is the goat for hihats and kick drums)

Use a Cloudlifter, you fucking idiots!

SM-57 is resistant to mic cupping growl fags. When your hands make contact with the bezel feedback is created. So, this is a clever way to break your vocalist from cupping the mic. Hand him a 57.