Which reveal was bigger and more shocking in the 80s?

Which reveal was bigger and more shocking in the 80s?
"I am your father." or revealing Darth Vader's face?
Which one do you think people talked about the most?

Definitely "I am your father".

The Vader thing was obvious. Everyone already knew that Vader was Luke's father since Vader is german for father. Nobody in the theater was really surprised when I saw it.

The father. What was suprising about his face? He just looks like some generic pale dude. Everyone knew he had a face.

>Vader is german for father
no it's not

It's dutch, you faggot

Fun fact: George Lucas didn't know this and named Vader because it was kinda like "Invader" and that was what he was doing in the beginning of the movie

>What was suprising about his face? He just looks like some generic pale dude.
He's voiced by a big black guy.

>big black guy
UU
UU

t. Someone Born Well After the Father Bomb Dropped

The face for me was more of a shock, and that he has a robot hand. I first watched StarWars when I was like 5, I was not following the story well. The face was shocking. its just a normal, old guy

People still believe they knew all along what they were doing after the first movie

Like father like son

Mark hamill looks like my lesbian aunt in that pic

It was obvious since the story follows a generic hero's journey.

Right off the bat we're told Luke's dad was a powerful jedi but he died by Kenobi who fought with him at some point in the past.

In the same movie Kenobi exchanges some meaningful words about past events with what is essentially a jedi working for the bad guys that is hidden under a mask.

Like if you sit down for 5 minutes and think about this you can tell who Vader is.

He looks like Bill Gates.

No. Vader was only made Luke's father by Lucas during the writing of ESB. That's just a simple coincidence.

I don't think you saw the OT in the theaters and I'm sure you're just making things up. Vader's reveal was a pretty big thing.

No one from the 80s is even alive anymore so who knows?

It's pretty widely known at this point that nobody during the production of the first film had the idea that Darth Vader was Luke's father.

That was a development added in Empire Strike's Back.

It floored people at the time of the reveal - so much so that many (including James Earl Jones) thought that it was a lie created by Vader to lure Luke to the dark side.

weird, they actually look related in this pic

Uncle Owen implied that Luke's father was vader in the original Star Wars (not New Hope special editions)

You're a massive idiot. It wasn't planned until the writing of esb just like Leila being Luke's sister wasn't included until later.

dude star wars

No he didn't.
He just said that he hopes the boy didn't grow up be like his father (his brother at that time) because Owen was a down-to-Earth farmer who didn't want Luke gallivanting around believing in magical shit

He wanted Luke to work

Overanalyzing.

It's also true that Luke was hidden from Vader on his home planet with the last name "Skywalker".

It is objectively false that Vader was intended to be Luke's father when ANH was created. That wasn't added until Lucas had rewritten Brackett's writing in ESB after she died. If she didn't die, we'd most likely have seen her vision where Luke's father appears to him as a force ghost and makes him takes a jedi oath.

Just stop with your fanfiction.

No.

He implies that Luke's father died, along with Obi Wan.

Later in the conversation, when Luke wants to leave for the academy and Owen wants him to stay another season, he stomps off, and Aunt Beru says he's too much like his father. Owen replies, "that's what I'm afraid of"

At most, this would be taken by the audience that Luke's father was adventurous. To say that this implies Darth Vader is Luke's father is absurd.

I don't doubt that some people had theories that Darth Vader was Luke's father, but there was no forum to share these ideas like we've got with the internet today. Nobody saw it coming.

Just watch the scene in the despecialized version - there is no such implication. In fact, I don't think the dialogue is even changed from the special edition.