Baby boomer hears slightly unconventional song

>baby boomer hears slightly unconventional song

>anybody hears some shit they don't like

I'm sorry you have issues with your father, OP, and I hope the two of you can make peace some day.

>Not giving everything a fair shot

Name an example?

this

>this isn't music!

>they smile because they created it before you did

Heard Dark Side for the first time at 22 I think? Can confirm, it's highly overrated. I can think of, like 20 better rock records without even thinking.

Agreed it's not that great
Although breath is amazing
So is us and them
And all those hits.

doesn't matter what you think of it with a modern ear. for its time it was absolutely groundbreaking and as an album its still great. overrated sure. but can you really call it bad?

>Heard Dark Side for the first time at 22

If you have grandparents, I hope you treat them right.

How many times have you listened to it? I recommend you give it another listen honestly. It grows on you with age and repeated listens. I grew up in the 80s and it didn't mean much to me back then but as I got older it really started to hit me at the right places.

>I can think without even thinking

Agreed. Us and Them is my favorite track, too. I also like the atmosphere. It almost seems like an amusement park ride. I don't know if anyone else gets that vibe from it.
Not bad by any means. And groundbreaking in what way?
It's one of those things. Like when something is so hyped it seems retroactively unnecessary. Same reason a lot of normies haven't seen The Sopranos for some reason. Like it just HAS to be overhyped, you know?
3 or 4 times
*think of
Sometimes in the English language we have these things called "phrases" which use words in a way that isn't, strictly speaking, literal.

>22
I doubt that sport.

Ok so you're 19 tops. Bye.

I didn't really start listening to records front-to-back until I was 18. Of course I've heard "Breathe"
I turn 23 this week, faggot.

I'm 25 and have never heard anything from it except On The Run and Great Gig

So you're one of those millennials who claim PF isn't prog and wasn't influential. No point arguing with somebody half my age. Maybe when you grow up you'll appreciate it.

this is a truly autistic post, best of luck to you

get off my board newfags

I swear if one of them is some dinosaur jr, sonic youth, pavement type albums. You're going to die a virgin.

No, I just think Neu! did everything DSotM did a year before.
Thanks, pham.
I don't really like any of those bands. I'm more of a 1967-1975 kind of guy.

>this Sup Forumscore album is better because people here told me it was good lol
I take it back. You're 17 tops.

>better
Get your shit reading comprehension out of here. Tell me something DSotM did that was really, truly new and innovative.

You obviously haven't listened to the album enough if you need to ask this question kid, get back to doing your homework, or go back to the edgy part of reddit that you crawled out of

Wow you can't even come up with anything.

Not even the poster you were responding to, just actually go listen to the album you mong

Here on Sup Forums i would say DSOTM is fucking underrated, even though PF has released better albums. It's still a fucking solid album. Even great to be completely honest. But I guess everything popular fucking sucks, right?

Jesus fuck. What did DSotM do that was brand FUCKING new in 1973? It's a simple question that apparently no one can answer yet apparently its so "groundbreaking" lol

I don't even really care anymore. I never said I didn't like it. I never said it was bad. I just don't think it's the biggest deal ever. And nobody so far can refute that without busting out the underage/reddit card.

See
For the record, I like WYWH and Meddle are better. Don't really see why anons suck Animals' cock so hard either. It's good but not top-tier or anything.

Why does everything have to be new to be groundbreaking? Great music written with already existing ideas can be more influential than it's predecessors.

Fair point. But shouldn't credit be given where credit is due? Just because PF reached a broader audience, does that make it "better" than the records they took inspiration from themselves? In my opinion, no. Not necessarily.

That's all I'm trying to say.

>t. underage redditposter

DSotM helped bring electronic instrumentation, sample and non-music SFX in rock music to the public consciousness. None of the elements that make up their sound is unique in isolation, but put together they represent an aesthetic that is totally their own. And they used these elements in service of universal themes like the passage of time, the cycle of life and death, etc. Countless musicians from across genres consider that album an inspiration, from bands like Swans and Radiohead, to electronic artists the Orb and the Warp Records crowd.

Also, there is no such thing as "completely new" in music because one can find precursors to any particular artist or technique (there are of course exceptions, but they are few and don't represent the way pop music advances generally). PF were not the first to use synthesizers or progressive song structures, but they did it in a way that appealed to an extremely broad mainstream audience and people outside of the underground and academic music circles where electronic music initially flourished. It really can't be understated how many people just didn't have a concept of "sound effects rock" before that album came around.

>Just because PF reached a broader audience, does that make it "better" than the records they took inspiration from

Well it depends on what you mean by "better". If you think it's all subjective then the answer is obviously not. In my opinion though it takes quite a lot of talent to take some very niche styles and methods of producing music and end up creating an album that is considered one of the most iconic in rock music, appealing to everyone from music snobs to normie dads.

Ok, fair enough. Just for the sake of listening, I stand by my point, but I agree with everything you said. If influence and appeal weren't taken into account at all, and if you could just look at the music from an objective standpoint, I do think there are still bundles of better records out there, even in the same genre, but I guess it depends on what criteria you use to judge an album.

With that being said, it is still a 9/10 at least, and an essential for music listeners.