Self Driving Cars - Societal Impact and discussion

The year is 2025, personally owned cars have just been banned in America.

8,000,000 jobs associated with personal cars have been lost, from trucking, policing, taxis, to ER response and insurance jobs.

Apple, Google, Tesla, and Mercedes-Uber, are the only car owners in America. They all have huge fleets of self-driving vehicles across America.

There have been no accidents for 3 weeks, and the average person saves about 20% of income they used to spend on vehicles. Every vehicle is an Electric vehicle.

All parking lots have been re purposed, homes no longer have garages or driveways. Crime is down 70% because of how locked down transport is along with the surveillance network afforded by the vehicles. Economic growth across the world is booming and mass unemployment is common.

Why don't you want this future? "I like driving" - retard

I do. Sleeping in a car while it drive your wife's son to basketball practise = amazing

>car that drives itself to pick up my wifes son

sold

Your future scenario seems incredibly implausible. What is the purpose of banning car ownership and making all auto transport in the country essentially taxi-based? Much more plausible would be to ban manual driven cars but keep them privately owned.

I'm sure that while the fleet model will be more popular, individuals will still be able to own autonomous vehicles if they want. Also, the idea that homeowners will all build over their driveways overnight is kinda silly. If I had the money to put an extension over my driveway, I'd use it to take a vacation overseas instead.

I want to tear up people's front lawns with my car in the early hours of the morning.

Give me half a chance and I will ruin your lawn too OP.

Fuck you.

Wow now even my wife's son can drive himself to his biological father's home.

why do you think the Federal Government spent the past 15 years gearing up to track, monitor, detain and kill domestic terrorists?

>The year is 2025
you are a moron to think all that can happen in nine years

2025 will look exactly like today in the auto world.
Also, self driving cars exist as Tesla's and probably soon enough the typical hybrid hatchback. They look nothing like that expensive junk you posted.

> Personal cars banned
Never going yo to happen. You act like everyone already sold their car to use Uber.

Visiting some place in 2025, the greentext example.

>pull out smartphone, use Apple app to call a nearby smart car
>network of cars chooses closest available car
>pay $5, get bio metrically scanned when entering vehicle. Camera watches what I do while inside.
>am transported by the electric vehicle in total comfort, no risk of crash or slow down due to traffic errors
>arrive at location's front door, get out, car goes away

No more parking, no more traffic problems, much cheaper than owning own car.

The vehicle's cameras and radar also act as surveillance for the local police.

I don't see how a car is going to make an arrest or as a subtitute for ER responders.

WHY DONT YOU WANT MY BLAND DYSTOPIAN FUTURE WHERE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, Sup Forums, YOU MUST ALL BE STUPID BECAUSE YOU STILL LIKE TO HAVE CONTROL OVER YOUR OWN LIVES!!!!!

Good. No longer do we have to tolerate the extortion from insurance companies.

You're a fucking retard if you think this is what it'll be like in 2025, try 2035 or 2040.

and then if the government wants to get rid of subversives just wait until they take their next ride then lock them in and take them to a secret prison.

Let us know how taking your horse onto the road works for you.

You can take my keys from my cold dead hands.

wasted materials and investments

forcing ride share creates more efficient allocation of resources

Traffic cops will be over, that's for sure.

>you were doing 62 in a 60 zone, show license and registration pls :^)
>your left rear headlight looked a little dim, hope you got $300 bux :^)
>you can only park here on second alternate thursdays, my friend :^)
>W-WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M NOT NEEDED ANYMORE???~!

>not having the $20/mo unlimited use subscription

You crazy Aussie cunt, I love you.
Will you be drunk as shit, too?

only good post in this thread so far

self-driving cars could make a 1.5 hour commute manageable

you could sleep, watch a movie or play vidya or surf the internet while driving with ease.

also long range road trips during the night

and if you lived in a metropolitan area you wouldn't need a car you would just order one and it would home in on your smartphone

traffic policing is a huge chunk of police and ER duties.

>left rear headlight

Hell, you could even do a little more work off the clock for the boss!

The clearing of traffic congestion alone

The economic effects of such a system make it almost imperative to implement.

Imagine if China institutes this, they would have a huge economic advantage. Hell, if europe does it and America doesn't they will have such an economic advantage.

It's new so Sup Forums doesn't like it

#AmishLife

That car looks so nice. Almost like it has a 50s feel.

This. Hell, you could fucking work on your commute.

There is a plot afoot by the major automakers to make it next to impossible to do any significant maintenance on your veh yourself or using a mechanic of your choosing. The electronics under the hood are considered proprietary tech, the effect of which is you have to go through your dealer for maintenance and no one else. The practical effect is that you don't ENTIRELY own your car.

So what happens with cars people own that are not self-driving? Surrender them? Special license to drive only on govt approved holidays? Only drive at race tracks (like wealthy antique owners)?

I don't think I will like your future.

>There have been no accidents for 3 weeks

best concept car of all time

>HORSE? WHY WOULD YOU NEED A HORSE YOU CAN WALK
>HORSE AND BUGGY? WHY WOULD YOU NEED A HORSE AND BUGGY YOU CAN RIDE A HORSE
>AUTOMOBILE? WHY WOULD YOU NEED AN AUTOMOBILE YOU HAVE A HORSE AND BUGGY
>SELF-DRIVING CAR? WHY WOULD YOU NEED A SELF-DRIVING CAR YOU HAVE AN AUTOMOBILE
I fucking hate Luddites.

>making fun of my donuts is a hate crime :^)

You can still drive them but if you get into an accident it'll get taken away and you'll have to buy a self-driving one :^)

It depends on if you think that a care is a utilitarian device for simple transportation or a possession you value for reasons beyond getting from point a to b.

Its easy to fetishize some of these things. Look at all the non-hunter, non-shooters that still want firearms.

>wanting to own a car

rideshare with self-driving cars is better

Car breaks down, get out, call a different car, literally not have to even give a shit about it.

it's superior.

Plus the car can be optimized for use. For instance a single person going to the store? Get a car with 1 seat and lots of trunk space. Transporting 5 kids? Order the van model

etc.

What kind of man does not enjoy driving, I get long distances can get arduous, but still driving is a pleasurable activity.

Gov does huge buyback
not allowed on roads

>tfw get carsick if I so much as read or play games on my phone

>rear headlight

>What kind of man does not enjoy driving
A sane one. Unless you live in the country, driving sucks.

Rides are more enjoyable from the passenger side, where you can admire the scenery without being dangerously distracted by it.

I don't enjoy driving. Stop lights, stop signs, lanes, etc

It's stupid and trivial. On a track? sure, on a nice curvy scenic road? sure, to and from places in a city? fuck no.

Well I understand your instance since the Chinese tend to be rather awful drivers.

The worst part of driving is the other drivers.

turn your keys in faggots.

too dangerous

You don't know the half of it.

>Americans would allow people to ban driving

No self respecting man would ever allow such a thing.

>2025

Lel. You'll be lucky if there are even consumer versions available by 2025.

Then add on another 10 years to perfect them and bring the price down to levels competitive with normal cars.

Then another 10 years for people to become accustomed to the idea

Then IF the country collectively decides they don't want human-driven cars anymore and no one buys them anymore, another 20 years for the backlog of human-driven cars to work their way through the used car marketplace and be replaced by self-driven so the regular plebs who shop for $5k junkers when they need "new" cars have access to them.

THEN you can BEGIN thinking about outlawing human-driven cars.

*rereads OP*

Oh, you mean outlawing private ownership of cars? Sorry, for a moment there I thought you weren't an absolute retard with no concept of American/human/animal behavior.

Elon will make it come true

>shitpost on Sup Forums while riding self-driving car
>car doors automatically lock
>drives you to tolerance reeducation center all by itself

Thanks but no thanks.

This is true

Teens think 10 years is a massive amount of time

the only thing that bothers me is not cars ...but trucks.
>think about it

It will work differently than you imagine.

There will be incredible pressures on it.

One of the immediate ones will be cheap available smart-taxi services through apple, uber, etc.

>Musk

>Got rich being a middleman for people who wanted to sell beanie babies on Ebay and built up a cult of personality by throwing money at flashy projects and going on TV spouting implausible plans to do cool things decades from now.

>2025
>8 years of a Hillary presidency and fourth wave feminism has utterly cucked the nation's lawmakers as athe unrelenting death grip of PC retains its hold

I wouldn't be too shocked if we cucked ourselves, just like we did after 9/11.

It's fucking boring. Thank god we have smartphones now so I can surf the Web while driving. It's still a chore when I have to occasionally look up though.

Actually just thank god in general for smart phones, it's made everything that was boring so much more manageable. Family dinners, movie night with your girl who insists on watching a Ryan Gosling movie, sitting at your desk at work...

like landing a re-usable rocket?
Making an EV that is still sold out?

A self-driving truck would probably be safer than some drugged out trucker who hasn't slept in months and is currently getting a coffee IV while pissing in a bottle

From my cold dead hands!

Too bad he's yet to make a profit on either of those ventures though...

Then the hospital complex loses billions over a lack of car accident and insurance premiums skyrocket to compensate for the loss of business

im thinking more of the mass unemployment side of it

This won't happen. Americans will give up cars as easily as we've given up guns. They may eventually (not 2025) be electric, but driving will never be outlawed in the lifetimes of your children's children's children.

people can lose accountability, so adoption is probably rapid af.

liberals would be ultra-behind ti because they can feel impactual by screaming.
>ban assault cars!

Accidents*

>Christ is perfect, I'm not

Who cares? Good, we need to start automating all these trained monkey jobs. Luddism is a cancer. You all should go out and start digging a grave in your yard with spoons and all your friends.

Though I love Musk's patriotism and progress with aerospace technologies I hate his opinion on cars.

except no investor wants him to make profit yet

do you even understand business?

?

it'll happen faster than you can imagine.

think of it this way

every store you think of and all public places remove their parking lots.

>ban assault cars!

When gun collectors used the car crash death statistics as an argument against banning guns, do you think they foresaw this possibility?

>to kill the child in the road, or to kill the occupants of the car. This is the type of moral hazard we are leaving to the technopaths to navigate.

Are you lazy faggots so far gone that you can't be asked to drive a fucking car???

What is so fucking hard about driving a car??? Why is this even a thing?

This isn't even taking into account the millions of jobs which will disappear. Why cuck yourselves like this?

guns don't require or use public and private infrastructure

Walmart can't remove your gun by removing something at their property.

It's not like we're keeping our other jobs, are we? Though I wonder what happens after industries become fully automated.

>every store you think of and all public places remove their parking lots
Then where would the self-driving cars park, dummy?

just think of all those angry truck drivers suddenly without work

There is a place you can go where everything is provided for you. You get a roof over your head, 3 meals a day, work and leisure time after it. That place is prison.

The only thing missing, is freedom.

>ban assault cars!
Chekov was just killed by a rogue Jeep. You never know when your vehicle will go Maximum Overdrive. It's like pitbulls. Cuddly one day, baby face eater the next.

Throwing "Smart" in front of an idea doesn't magically make it a success, and putting Apple in charge of something doesn't override basic laws of economics and human nature.

Hauling shit into orbit is grunt work. None of the "cool" space projects are ever going to be profitable and will never be successfully privatized. Just like how 95% of scientific research that isn't directly relevant to oil or pharmeceuticals or some other insanely profitable industry must be government funded.

SpaceX is basically the FedEx of space, and all Musk does is throw money at engineers and negotiate juicy government contracts.

So heres my idea: Make all cars self driving with a manual driving option. If a person gets into an accident when they are self driving they not only get they privelage taken away they are also forced to pay all of the damages for the accident. This will allow safe responsible drivers to keep driving and force bad drivers to let the cars drive. I see 0 problems with this.

I'd love to see an electric powered semi.

Goes 1km, runs out of power.

>business
>no profits

Remember me?

>Are you lazy faggots so far gone that you can't be asked to drive a fucking car???
Yes. Nobody likes driving. Traffic is shit. Commutes are shit. Humans are too stupid to drive without getting into accidents all the time.

Fuck driving.

they don't thats the point

When everyone removes their parking spaces, the "self drivers" are fucked.

That's only one of many ways they can be removed.

That's a stupid argument, user. If the food was good, the life was comfortable and you could do fun activities during leisure time everyone would go to prison.

You are asked what 2 + 2

You know the answer, but you are afraid to say it.

What freedom do you lose? You still go where you tell it, just instead of using a wheel you tell it with an app.

>Walmart unilaterally decides to remove all its parking lots and make it impossible for 99.9% of its customers to shop there to benefit GM and other self-driving car manufacturers.

What the actual fuck are you smoking right now?

I just can't let it go; 2025 is only nine years, not 900. The only thing that'll happen in nine years is lament over whatever president we elected the year before.

I'll just ride my motorcycle :^)

Back at the fleet storage. Shopping centers would have an intake point like airports have, where vehicles don't stay longer than it takes to do pick-ups and drop-offs.

too bad females would love it, and they spend more money and outnumber us

probably not in 2025 but in our lifetime

>Are you lazy faggots so far gone that you can't be asked to drive a fucking car
For me its mostly about safety. There are way too many car accidents and no matter how good of a driver you are, someone else can come along and completely destroy your car are kill you in less than a second. I dont trust other people enough to drive well and the fact there are so many car accidents proves most people are not responsible enough to drive.

no, you moron, where do the robot cars park? It's not like they suddenly stop needing to park when you hand control of them over to the robots.

>You know the answer, but you are afraid to say it.

I'm not afraid to say anything. What is happening is transhumanism.