How did NOBODY realize he was evil until it was too late?

How did NOBODY realize he was evil until it was too late?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G__j31e9L9Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The entire Jedi council is made up of idiots in the prequels, that's how.

He clouded the Jedi Council's ability to make prophecies.

Bad writing

Mace, Obi, and Yoda expected something but they apparently were a bunch of retards.

youtube.com/watch?v=G__j31e9L9Q

because he was a good friend

>huh, ever since Palpatine took office, none of us has been able to see the future. I wonder why that is?

Which means they should have said "Our visions of the future are clouded, there must be a Sith hiding among us."

are you able to recognize different strands of hair. He was hiding among politicians

>huh funny how every time bad things happen Papatine is nowhere to be found!

From my point of view the Jedi were evil

He was doing it long before he took office

He clouded their connection to the Force and hid in plain sight while maintaining a kindly and noble demeanor.

>kindly
>"DEW IT" to Anakin after fight with Dooku

Why wasn't there a prophecy about the person who would stop prophecies?

Didn't the Jedi build the Jedi Temple over a sith burial ground? How arrogant and retarded did they have to be?

>no way guys i dont wanna sign this bill on making a clone army xD
>but sheev you gotta we jedi cant defend the galaxy
>well okay..if you say so :^)

>implying he did anything personally
He sent agents and manipulated events for decades. Only when the plan was almost complete did he act himself

the jedi didn't really pay close attention to politics

It wasn't retarded arrogance so much as it was unforgiveable malice.

He just got a little excited

>le emergency powers face
The Republic deserved to fall.

Even though they were known as guardians of the republic and fought so hard for democracy.

So, would you say that from your point of view, the Jedi are evil?

The prequels only work by making the Jedi utter morons.

I think it would make sense that the Jedi have long been officially disbanded, and exist outside of the Republic authority. Only a few stragglers like Obi wan and Yoda exist on obscure worlds and have no influence on the politics. During The Clone Wars, Obi Wan meets a young pilot (like 20's) and they go on an adventure.

fuckin jedis man

>republic
>democracy
except for those 5 or 6 movies they spent fighting for Leia and Amidala

same way nobody recognized hillary was

Why did Dooku tell Obi-Wan that there was a Sith in the senate? And why did they not look to Palpatine after that, especially when they already didn't trust him?

When I was re-watching Episode 2 recently, I couldn't remember much about it, and when it got to the part where Dooku and Obi-Wan talk, I though Dooku was actually a good guy who realized that both sides of the war were being manipulated and was trying to get Obi-Wan's help to find a peaceful solution, but then immediately afterwords we see him talking to Sidious about their evil plot.

I liked my idea better. A Jedi-turned-Sith who follows the Dark Side, but isn't exactly evil and is only the villain because Palpatine is pitting the CIS and the Republic against each other.

Are you implying that the mere fact there is royalty means it isn't a democracy?

Don't know about Alderaan, but Naboo is a democratic monarchy.

>Deleted scene
Wait really? I remember the "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi" line so well it must have been in the film at some point

Because bad writing.

The Jedi weren't all-powerful political entities. In fact, they were quite powerless in the face of the Republic, hence why they got utterly cucked by clones in the 3rd movie.

I don't think that the Jedi would've been able to start a fucking witch hunt in the Senate or Council, much less against the Supreme fucking Chancellor. By the time he got rightfully elected under democracy, it was too late.

Obi-Wan didn't believe him/refused to
Like when Alex Jones says literally anything you aren't going to believe him because all you can think about is space lizards

he killed most of those who were on to him
What? its not clark kent type deal, hell few times he plotted assassinations against himself so that he would look less suspicious (and get more emergency powers)

The power of the dark side can be masked and hidden - and the weakening of the Force was the only clue.

Aside from that all Palpatine had to do was continue to 'work with' the Jedi so he could simultaneously be aware of and redirect their political plans as well as remain close to Anakin.

The Jedi are not politicians, they are specifically separate from it. Any distaste they had for him was probably chalked up to the fact that they disliked all politicians.

its a federation with member states and naboo had elective monarchy, hell they were not even the only government on their world

People did, but he's a politician so he could get away with it

Sort of like how in the future people will wonder how the people of 2016 America were so stupid to elect Donald Trump president. Sometimes evil just wins

Mace was onto him like mid way through ROTS but they didn't have enough evidence to act on. something about the dark side surrounding the chancellor. Probably cause he started to getting carless so his grip on the jedi was failing.

>sometimes
heuheuhe

IT'S REASON THEN

Can someone explain the rule of 2?

It seems very backwards to want an apprentice who wants to kill you and take over.

He was a good friend.

Darth Bane noticed that weak Sith would team up and take down strong Sith, weakening the talent pool by virtue of the fact that the strongest among them would fall.

As a solution he removed this possibility by limiting the Sith to just two. Now the apprentice could only remove the master by surpassing them, and slowly undoing the process of repeatedly diluting the Sith talent pool.

I don't know much about Star wars but aren't a lot of the sith former Jedis? It seems that evil is easy to entice them, or evil comes from Jedis themselves, hell maybe the first sith was a Jedi as well.

Fair enough

before there was a Jedi Order there was a Je'daii Order

I would compare it to how not a single fucking Democrat realizes that Obama and Clinton are to blame for the carnage and terrorism in Libya and Syria.

You just kind of see what you want when the guy you voted for turns out to be George Bush 2.0, and the woman you wanted to win was George Bush 2.5.

The Sith's powers still get diluted. Hell, Sheev killed his master before even learning the secret of eternal life. Now it's lost forever.
Don't you dare mention the EU to me

sums it up pretty well,

also bill clinton was george bush 1.5

Palpatine was so powerful he basically controlled the entirety of the Jedi's minds.

yeah i think it isnt a deleted scene

The ones that did didn't have a chance to talk because bullshit reasons, even that clone in the cartoon got killed instead of stunned with weapons that you see shooting stunning shots on pass chapters

>democracy votes to dissolve itself
>doesn't count as democracy because they votes against what amidala wants

Really fucked my duck

>we know the Sith Lord is somebody high up in the Republic
>we know he lives on Coruscant
>we know he's regularly near the Chancellor and the Senate
>we know he was behind the Naboo blockade and the start of the Clone Wars
>Gee, I wonder who he could be? Surely not the guy who has directly benefited from both of these things, or the guy who called for the creation of a new army on the same day that the clones were (secretly) completed

The Jedi Council are absolute morons. They're even dumber for not explaining the reasons for their suspicion to Anakin.

>and naboo had elective monarchy

I know there is some historical precedent in real life, but the idea of voluntarily electing a 16-year old as your monarch is still hilarious to me. She's not even a puppet, she's running around giving orders to everyone and they're just obeying her.

Why did Obi Wan train Anakin when the whole council was against it? They fucking knew he was bad news and Obi was like lol fuck off I'll do it myself

They didn't know that was the reason you mong. Palpatine is literally the most powerful Sith to have ever existed.

Why are the sith bad exactly? Did Pottery man ever give us a reason or are we just supposed to assume they're all just evil bad guys without question?

She did a pretty good job in spite of her age familigia. I think it's mentioned in the film that her successor did even better.

The "in universe" explanation is that the Jedi's ability to sense others through the force had been clouded, because Sheev was just that powerful.

Also the Jedi had gotten extraordinarily arrogant. In Episode II, Yoda and Obi-Wan have a scene where they drone on and on about how arrogant Anakin and the other young Jedi are nowadays without even a trace of self-awareness. They assumed that the Sith would be where the Sith had always been: leading the enemy army, trying to take over through brute force. The idea of the Sith peacefully taking over the Republic and subverting it from within never occurred to them.

Because they knew that Anakin was potentially extremely powerful, there was the implication of "if we don't train him, the Sith will". Letting Obi-Wan train him was a huge mistake either way though. Why put the kid who might potentially decide all of your fates under the tutelage of another kid?

>She did a pretty good job in spite of her age familigia.

She did, but still, she's a kid. Why voluntarily choose a kid to be your real leader? 999 times out of 1000, it's going to be horrible. What kind of god-tier campaign did 16-year old Padme run to get elected?

>"We're going to build a wall, and make the Gungans pay for it!"

In the movies, they're bad because every Sith we see enjoys mass murder and/or wants absolute power.

In the EU, they're mostly bad for the same reasons, but some of them aren't bad at all. Like one guy becomes a Sith Lord, then starts a business, using his force powers to succeed in negotiations, pay his workers a fair wage, and build up an impressive library. He died peacefully.

The EU is weird.

The Jedi are incompetent and corrupt. Sheev was right to overthrow the theocracy.

>Also the Jedi had gotten extraordinarily arrogant.
You can see it in their rigidity in terms of rules when it came to the celibacy shit. Honestly all they had to fucking do was let the kid fuck Padme out in the open and they wouldn't have been 66'd

I think it looks as obvious because we only meet him when shit starts to go up, but in the SW world Sheev was a chancellor for what, 60 years?
Saying that a public political figure for more than half a century is basically Hitler is hard to believe even with such evidence.
You guys are severely underestimating Sheev's master ruse.

Because they need to embrace the dark side of the force, which consists in farming feelings that are negative or usually associated with evil (fear, anger, hate, revenge...).

I don't understand why Anakin even kept it a secret. By the time Episode III rolled around, he's a war hero with a ton of influence in the government, Obi-Wan finally respects him as an equal, and he's got a smoking hot wife with a kid on the way. He's got everything he ever dreamed of, and being a Jedi has no real bearing on that one way or another. Why not just leave? What are the Jedi going to do, arrest him? Make him hand in his badge and lightsaber?

Obi-Wan knew the whole time anyway and he never gave a shit.

Wasn't Anakin going to leave the order after they finished the war?

>but in the SW world Sheev was a chancellor for what, 60 years?

Not at all. He took power during the crisis in Episode I (started by the Sith) and became Emperor about 15 years later. It was definitely a long con, but it's still suspicious as hell. And the Jedi had a lot of evidence, like:

>the Sith Lord has influence in the government
>the Sith Lord is frequently in the Chancellor's office ("the dark side surrounds the chancellor")
>Dooku straight up tells Obi-Wan that the Sith control the Senate
>He coincidentally had an army ready to go the day before the Clone Wars started

It's incredibly suspicious

Was he? I don't remember that in the movies, it might have been mentioned in that EU novelization of the movie but I haven't read that since I was 10.

because he WAS the senate

>He took power during the crisis in Episode
Yeah but that was because he was already a respected political figure on the Republic, they just didn't decide to give him military command at random.
Dude has been playing four-dimensional chess probably way before Obi-Wan was even born and he looks weak as fuck, it'd be as if someone said Stephen Hawking is behind ISIS.

>the most powerful sith to have ever existed
I HIGHLY fucking doubt that

>Why are the sith bad exactly?

Their doctrine is the kind that attracts all the power hungry, the megalomaniacs, the misguided extremists, and naive hotheads. In the original canon, there was never a "light side" of The Force, only The Force and The Dark Side, which was a corruption of the force. The Sith are literally the physical manifestation of a cancer on The Force.

I also doubt that but out of hope.
If the most powerful Sith to have ever existed is only capable of spinning and zaping people that's underwhelming as fuck.

He's the most powerful that is still canon.

Revan is still canon in my heart

It means it can't be a republic. Like, by definition.

What about Darth Plagueis? Yeah he got shanked while he was taking a nap but he could resurrect people.

Palpatine's talents clearly lie more in non-combat areas, though. Like he's able to cloud the ability of every Jedi to use the force, has incredible foresight (his plan took like 30 years to execute), and an implied ability to influence many minds at once (the speech in the senate).

But if you go by the EU, then no, he doesn't even scratch the surface. Exar Kun mind tricks the entire Senate simultaneously, Bane creates a force technique that murders all of his fellow Sith in the most painful way imaginable, Sion is literally holding his body together with the force, and I don't remember KOTOR 2 that well but I think there's a guy who can sense and murder Jedi en masse without even touching them. The power creep is kind of ridiculous.

He was like Griffith from Berserk and had high level charisma that made his followers adore him, and his enemies tremble

so trump is a jedi?

George W Bush was already George Bush 2.0, literally

didnt count chocula or whatever tell obi wan the entire plan of the sith and that they controlled the republic

>democratic monarchy.
you realize thats an oxymoron, right

>I would compare it to how not a single fucking Democrat realizes that Obama and Clinton are to blame for the carnage and terrorism in Libya and Syria.
Well, they aren't dumbass.

the senate was already corrupt before palpatine became chancelor. dooku saw this but his arguments were ignored by the jedi counsul plus he came from royalty so he stood out from all the other jedis. him and qui gon were sort of rebels from the other jedis always breaking jedi rules sort of so dooku was like fuck the jedis ill do my own thing and was corrupted by palpatine but he figured he could eventually decive palpatine and usurp him

>what is a parlamentary monarchy

You ever heard of this place called Britain?

Man...that sounds really cool

Almost every Star Wars thread has at least one alternate prequels idea, and it never ceases to amaze me that they're practically all better than Lucas's.

that actually sounds pretty watchable

>you realize thats an oxymoron, right
Well you can look at UK or US.