Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing...

Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing? Last night was the first time I've ever watched Boxing and made me wonder why it isn't more popular.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ohhFsh1ksM
thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/top-selling-ufc-ppvs-of-all-time/
tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because heavy weight firghts are hug fests, and no one wants to watch 2 manlets fight.

MMA is better, you see a guy brutally getting beaten up

Boxing is boring

>What caused the decline in popularity for boxing?

Don King

A few reasons
The heavyweight division, which for some reason, anglos love, is dead. There hasn't been an elite heavyweight boxer since Lennox Lewis. You have the Klitchko's, but their bland, and have literally no competition. Also, there are just too many boxing organizations, and too many belts. Nobody knows who's the champion of what.

>millenials
muh brutality
muh blood

Corruption. For some reason, a particular demographic took control of the sport and ended up running it like Detroit city government.

>muh class
>muh tradition

>Also, there are just too many boxing organizations, and too many belts.
why is this even a thing in boxing?

Something better came along.

Most sport fans are what you would call "casuals" that don't really understand much about the mechanics of the sport they're a fan of. These casual boxing fans don't really appreciate the art itself, intricate footwork, head movement etc, but rather just want to get knocked out(take for example)
This is why boxing was big in the 80's, it had many aggressive fighters and there wasn't really a lot of other combat sports to watch on TV in the 80's. Now with the rise of MMA, which is a more brutal sport, those previous casual boxing fans can get their fix of blood and brutality from there. To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art, but financially it takes a hit.

I watched yesterday's match and saw exactly why boxing wasn't more popular. Boxing is a sport not a fight

Most people only care for the heavyweight scene which has been in a big lull although the scene is slowly on the rise again.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ohhFsh1ksM

Mayweather literally ruined boxing

From his tactics, to his style, to the ZERO at the end of his record, and the fact that he made it all about money instead of the best fighting the best

Mix that with a shit generation of heavyweight fights andand that about does it

Having said that, its not as dead as people say and there are a lot of great boxers coming up right now.

>be me
>everyone saying last nights fight was boring
>thought it was just as good as any UFC fight

Idk man.

because the big boxing matches no longer feature boxing, they're just exhibitions of dancing around the ring and hugging

>but financially it takes a hit
Yea, you're either making millions or barley making ends in boxing, there's no middle class in the sport like UFC where all the fighters can make a nice living..

That's why majority of athletes pick MMA over Boxing, it has more financial security.

Feminism. Women can't have real power in a society that doesn't abhor violence.

It's on decline because normies prefer edgier sport

>To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art
>To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art

this. /thread

people like the klitschkos and mayweather sucked the fun out of it with their defensive style of boxing and making it all about the business

Most of the top boxers are unlikable cunts and spend the majority of their careers fighting nobodies to boost their stats.

white Americans got fed up with watching blacks dominate and UFC capitalised on with by marketing to them

because betas crave to see fighting to show how they want to be masculine and box is not as linked as MMA to lifting, which most men love to do now in order to be noticed by and please women

I see that Irish are still trying to drink this thing away.

neither sport is that popular desu, only popular fighters are popular

Mayweather, Tyson, and McGregor are the three biggest ppv draws of all time because they're worth watching for one reason or another

boxing itself is a pillow fisted hug fest with between two literal whos

mma is just a shitty kickboxing and wrestlefuck organization with hardly any talent

mma had a bit of a decline after gsp left i remember correctly, nobody outside your little circles gives a shit about either sport. people follow fighters, the reason this insecurity came up is because people see the small cult mma and wonder why boxing aparently doesn't have one. it does, it's just mostly not in the us and it's not advertised

>blacks dominate
Boxing started tanking the second niggers stopped dominating it.

>Being this angry because you're an out of shape nig
No, Jean Baptiste, you're the beta.

>mayweather
>exciting to watch

So last night was your first boxing match ever?

most people are plebs.

join us in /box/ lad

That's a great subreddit

All belt giving orgs are corrupt as fuck and MMA is better.

jews

>strawman
>misinterpreting someone's argument to make it easier to attack

yeah lad, last night was my first boxing match

It is still really popular, what the fuck are you niggers talking about? The British scene is as good as it has ever been.

>decline of boxing
>still the biggest form of combat sports by a large margin

Friendly reminder

UFC biggest PPV - 1.6 million
Boxing biggest PPV - 4.5 million

There's a reason Conor Mcgregor literally begged a retired boxer to change his bum life by whooping his ass inside the boxing ring

oh, please, if it wasn't going to be mayweather it was going to be someone else. it happens in every game, in every sport -- someone comes along with impeccable defense, wins everything, and people get butthurt. don't act like boxing was worse off just because he played the game better than anyone ever

The talent pool drying up do to the rise of other sport orgs such as NFL and NBA. Boxing was at its height when poor black males flooded into the sport. Now they have other interests. Combine this with American society softening up in general and its declining interest in bloodsports.

People like to say Don King and corruption killed boxing but thats not true. Boxing at its height was way more corrupt and pretty much run by the mob in certain parts of the country. Young males nowadays would rather shoot for that scholarship through football/basketball/baseball than get their brains bashed in in some dingy boxing gym.

>UFC biggest PPV - 1.6 million
>Boxing biggest PPV - 4.5 million

The UFC puts on a PPV every month. How many boxing PPVs are there in a year that get more than 400k buys? Maybe 2 or 3.

Boxing has had 3 PPVs so far do over 1 million buys.

UFC has had 1 and it starred Jon Jones who got popped for roids and is now banned

>hey look I made this thing and sold it for $100!

>ok, I made 20 things and sold them for $50 each

The first line is boxing.

The rise of Lennox Lewis and the start of Wlad Klitschko reign

Everyone loves heavyweights because that's actual boxing, not fairies prancing around each other and slapping their gloves around.

>UFC has had 1

Are you being dumb on purpose

thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/top-selling-ufc-ppvs-of-all-time/

tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

It's slow and clumsy

Money and it became a pussified shell of what it used to be. When people hear a big boxing match, they instantly think "Oh shit! Two of the best go one on one!", but sadly they are shown that these guys are getting paid massive bank to clinch 5x a round, land 20 hits a round (5 of which are actual power hits, the rest of them are jabs), etc. It rubbed people the wrong way and they just got tired of the whole act. Now MMA comes along and gives people exactly what they want from a big fight. Boxing died when they decided to become a sport where points and judges are more important than a fight with KO's. MMA became a massive hit when they showed people that you can be a sport and still have a fight.

kikes like Bob Arum

lol

Heavyweights
Olympic corruption
Having 4,000 belts
Regular corruption
Boxers being illiterate fucks
Criminal element in boxing is huge
Don fucking King

youhave to be pretty fucking young to say that.
go watch 10 Ali fights and tell me how "exciting" they are.

The decline only really applies to the US. Its still pretty damn popular in a lot of the world. And the reason why it lost popularity in America is simple - Americans stopped dominating it, the HW division especially. At the same time the more US centered MMA started getting bigger.

>Nunes-Cupcake
>implying

also surprised the Iceman is only up once, figured him vs Rampage would've gotten a shitload of buys

watch mma for technical striking and wrestling/grappling and the occastional flat out brawl

boxing is great too

>lifting
literally creating 24/7 extra work for your heart for no reason

Muhammad Ali getting Parkinsons and punch drunk boxers in general

The Conor/Floyd fight will have been the 4th this year. 3rd thats done over a million. Granted this has been a relatively hot year for boxing and a pretty bad one for MMA.

simply it's too expensive.
is there's no other reason you retards

>which for some reason, anglos love
>hey guys let's make a game whose whole appeal is simulating what would happen in a fistfight
>what why do you care less about people who would get demolished by larger people in a fistfight?
i bet you watch female basketball for the mechanics

>he made it all about money instead of the best fighting the best
just like Conor

GSP, JJ, Anderson, MM - they have 10+ defenses each.
Conor has zero.
He's had two (2!) legit fights in 2 years.
Johny Hendricks has had 4 fights in the last year.
Lots of elite fighters have fought 6 times in the last 2 years. Conor has fought twice, ffs.
Promised Aldo an immediate rematch, ducked that since.
He promotes, promotes, promotes himself, never defends, has had more novelty fights than real fights in the last 2 years.
wew

>Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing? Last night was the first time I've ever watched Boxing and made me wonder why it isn't more popular.

Easy....No heavy weights, no brawlers, no hard fighting.

Fighting style like Floyd's have made the sport hard to pay attention to because they just duck and dance as opposed to being able to beat the hell out of each other, dodge and block in close range.

Its barely BOXING anymore.

Also this guy's point

Lack of good infighters on the main stage. People want to see good, accurate, heavy slug fests. They don't want to see:

>repeatative clinching
>outboxing "run" tactics

Boxing won't be good again until you get another Tyson, or hell, another Ali.

Money and Corruption.

>"you have the Klitchkos"

You realise they are both retired...

> "have literally no competition"

......and that Wlad lost his last 2 fights, right?

People stopped boxing in the US - back in the 1950's and 1960's everyone boxed, even just a little bit. Therefore, there were no "casual" fans because people understood it cause they did it. Now basically no one boxes.

> it's lonely at the gym...

Mayweather is just the end game. The Mayweather Pacquiao fight showed that boxing is nothing like fighting that casuals like me expect

If everyone loves heavyweights why were the Klinchkos stuck fighting in Germany their entire careers?

>The heavyweight division, which for some reason, anglos love, is dead
Everyone loves the heavyweight division.

>You have the Klitchko's, but their bland, and have literally no competition.
They're both retired.

>instead of the best fighting the best
sorry, what's the name of the fighter who has fought more world champions than any other fighter?

Honestly only the greats are ever entertaining to watch. MMA can be fun because there's usually an imbalance in some part of the fighters' games and one guy ends up getting rekt in some way.

-Too many belts
-Champions dodging fights
-Heavyweight a shit
-Money/Revenue talk

nobody cares about safe space sports

boxing needs to evolve or fade away

LOL this retard hasn't watched boxing in about 5 years

No white Americans in boxing. So people cant relate to black boxers or mexican american boxers. Boxing is ruled by blacks, mexicans, puerto ricans, cubans, brits and east euros.

>-Heavyweight a shit

Where they at?

>Boxing won't be good again until you get another Tyson, or hell, another Ali.

GGG baby

Heavyweight boxing has become more hugging than boxing. It's usually just two fat guys occasionally throwing and then hugging.

the heavyweight division is on fire man

This

I loved training in boxing but watching it can be boring. MMA there are more ways a fight can finish making it more unpredictable. Looking forward to the Canelo vs GGG fight.

Slavs just don't sell to the American public for whatever reason

If it was Chad Lomachencko from California winning 2x Olympic golds for USA and fighting in the style he does you'd never have heard of Conor McGregor

>nobody cares about safe space sports
Divegrass is the most popular sport on the planet

-There are too many light/cruiserweights to keep track of.
-Heavyweight fights consist of 2 punches per round and 1:58mins of hugging

True. Lennox Lewis had a lot of likability but people had to find away around it. He wasnt the best by any means, but he was respectable, clean style, decent game
>but hes a britbong nigger

Creed was pretty good

Boxing is solved game. It's either a mismatch where one guy runs a train on the other, or a boring fight where both competitors take zero risks.

Triple G had been exposed twice, he's 38(?) And Canelo will be his retirement

last year conor alone sold more than triple all of boxings PPVs combined

Money and promoters

you watch the full card?
literal shitters fighting for 1000 belts that mean fuck all, the people who paid thousands for tickets couldnt even be bothered to turn up for the full card

in the UFC you get cards with potential crazy fights all over, theres been cards where 10 fights have been amazing and fun to watch

>Mayweather literally ruined boxing

I was watching boxing religious for 15 years before any of you fucking casuals knew who he was. He did NOT ruin boxing. If anything he's one of the more exciting fighters if you actually know what you are watching.

burger education on full display

This

>This is a tko

The problem is that boxing promotion is all about the big payday and PPV.

So you don't watch MMA either? Have you not seen the TKOs in MMA? Most of them are even worse than that. Theres been hundreds of TKOs where a guy drops to his knees and the ref calls it, in a sport where you are allowed to move around on your knees.

it's also easier when all the relevant fighters are under contract from the same organisation and you don't have to cobble together a card by negotiating with every individual fighter and their promoters

Pretty much just the rise of other sports. People got more excited for football, hockey, basketball, etc. Combine that with the rise of other combat sports, and boxing just becomes less exciting. It's still popular, but when people have so many other options it loses a lot of its popularity.

Is it really in decline though? I thought boxing is making more money than ever before

Heavyweights became boring.

Heavyweights are what everyone wants to watch, where big guys like Tyson knock someone out in 20 seconds with one hard left hook.

If the heavyweight class ever gets exciting again, boxing will get exciting again, simple as that.

>Get hit by 10 big punches without attempting to block a single one
>Not calling the match

>Everyone but western whites do boxing
>Western Europe and USA whites are considered to be cucked pathetic beta males that can't stand their ground while being swarmed by hordes of "minorities" that will breed them out in 3 generations.

Really activates my almonds.