Rogue Meme review

Just saw Rogue One. It's now one of my favorite Star Wars movies. Here's what I though the good and bad were:
Pros-
>CGI Tarkin looked good, I don't know what you all are complaining about
>K is best droid
>Krennic was a decent villain and it was interesting to see tension between two competing officers
>A lot of the jokes got some smiles out of me
>Final act is the best final act in any Star Wars, next to ROTJ
>Cassian was the most interesting character, he should've been the lead instead of Jyn
>The Vader scenes
>Each cameo was done right
Cons-
>The bouncing between planets in the first act was confusing
>The only time each character got their chance to shine was either during their introduction or their death scene
>The characters each had about two minutes to develop
>Mads was wasted yet again
>James Earl Jones sounded like he had a cold whenever he spoke as Vader

>Krennic was a decent villain

I mean yeah he was kinda bland, but the scenes of him butting heads with Tarkin made it better

>or their death scene

kek the number of "oh no" reactions to grenades was kino-worthy.

Poor acting/character writing brought it down for me but whatever that's your opinion dude

>no character development
>bland villain
>wasted talent
>that uncanny valley

why is this movie supposed to be good again?

It was the worst star wars movie yet, all the "pros" are either fucking nothing or outright wrong statements like cassian andor being a good character or cameos were done right (buttface was on jedha, which was then blown up, howtf?).

The cons you list are real concerns that make the movie bad. Also vader was REALLY out of place for a film that was supposed to be more of a standalone film. But hey atleast we had good reddit quips! quip quip quip this is memes this is reddit this is memes this is reddit quip quip quip.

Don't choke on your quips

The probability of QUIPs is 200%

BAZINGA

This Star Wars was definitely a feels movie. Those ending scenes tho...

There could have been more character development... Cassian with his inner struggle, Jin with coming to terms with the Rebellion, and seeing it as a way to pay tribute to her father. The temple guardians with their their raison d'etre destroyed, and the fact that the last mission was a suicide mission

it could've been a great moving, this is on the writers. All the characters have a realization in joining the rebellion and giving their lives, it would have been nice of adequate character development allowed audiences to see this transformation happen.

Tarkin was very well done anyone who says otherwise is just being a cunt.

Vader's voice was fucking terrible I don't know what the fuck was wrong but it didn't sound right.

His helmet didn't look right either like it was wider or something.

It was the only Star Wars movie that actually felt like it took place during a war. I could practically hear CCR playing at some points there.

Yeah my father didn't believe me when I told him Tarkin and leia was cgi. Really impressive desu and the people critizing the cgi are grasping at straws. Lots of good reasons to dislike this movie though.

QUIP QUIP QUIP QUIP QUIP "We musnt give up hope" QUIP QUIP QUIP

The fuck is wrong with you?

It is a worthy Star Wars movie. They seem to have learned a lot from TFA. There seems to be more grit, the characters compellingly inhabit the Star Wars Universe.

The character development is rushed, although at 2 hours the movie is lengthy enough: its main purpose is to portray how the Rebellion gets the Death Star plans.

It could have been a more worthy tribute to the grunts, the 'little man', who were the boots on the ground of the Rebellion.

It would almost be a good stand-alone movie. Except, if not for being so utilitarian in how Leia gets the Death Star plans. FUcking fantastic tragedy, unfortunately the "love scene" is uncompelling because there are no character dynamics (except bureaucratic head-butting) or development, not to mention relationship development...

AotC and TPM, ROTJ, ESB on hoth are all better examples of wars in star wars, what they sneak around and blow things up with some action scenes inbetween? In a war usually grunts fight other grunts in the background, and that only happens briefly on the beach.

Jizz started out already fully formed so she was just flat for the whole movie was the problem. Caspian was as well although arguably he develops some sort of vague moral compass for disobeying orders?

That was really the only substantial problem, the main characters were essentially movie-long redshirts the writers didn't seem to want to bother giving arcs since they were just gonna die. Jizz starts out as a bad ass hardcore ass kicker whose only character traits seem to be positive, and that's where she ends up.

There were dumb things like everyone getting killed by grenades, a new planet every two minutes in the beginning, the villain being unflinchingly evil while the "good guy" rebels actually had some moral complexity, but the real issue writing-wise was just the two leads being flat characters. Rey was kind of the same way in Force Awakens but you spend enough time with her to identify with a human side, and Finn gets sort of the Han redemption arc. In this one Jizz just is who she is and that's who she is for the whole movie.

But they barely show those in those movies. Star Wars has always been about a jedi and his pals, with the war as the backdrop.

How miserable do you have to be to go to a 2 hour long movie in December with no intention of enjoying or liking it?

Big Rogue One would've been better if it followed Sol Gurruera's group that had the Wampa in it.

That was sick Wampa inclusion.

Some of those one-liners were cheesy... C'mon, it's Disney, after all...

It was a real opportunity to really get into the drama of the rebellion at a critical juncture, the inner struggles and motivations of a cast of minor players, not the Jedi, but a cast of heroes who come together and have nothing but the Rebellion to live for, and who lay their lives on the line to save it.

The drama and character development are under-developed Heck, I would've sat an extra half an hour to see the drama be more cohesive, rather than random power-plays between Imperial officers..

>movie-long redshirts the writers didn't seem to want to bother giving arcs since they were just gonna die

For all the complaining about Rogue One being diversity salad, the real crime is that they didn't portray real characters with story arcs that compellingly converged at the last battle....

>more grit

Fuck you

>Let a woman lead you into battle.
>Everyone dies
How long before the SJW's catch on and start bitching?

Yeah, the life of Jin Urso in Sol Gurreras group would've been awesome. Jin's brush with the Rebellion, maybe even Cassian himself... These were the people who carried the Rebellion before Luke Skywalker, and deserved a real storyline rather than being redshirts

I mean the whole politics between the Senate and the Empire and the rebels could've been better explained for the lay person.

As for following Sol Gurrera's group, this movie could've been more like Dune.

Just saw it this morning. Didn't laugh at any of the jokes, K2 was just Alan Rickman's robot from Hitchiker's Guide, didn't feel anything when protag girl and protag guy (don't even remember their names) die, and the only time I was remotely interested was when Vader was slaughtering rebels at the end.

This kino made me realize how burnt out on lightsaber and Force violence the prequels were. Having the entire movie's Force budget be sparingly sprinkled on the old man with the stick doing zen things meant the ending they were saving it all up to spend on was like a fucking completely different movie holy shit it was like a horror movie or something. You spend the entire film in the gritty trenches of filthy blasters and mud slinging explosions and dirty old spaceships and people hiding behind cover, and then at the end all the soldiers you've seen previously fighting and struggling the entire movie are made irrelevant when the monster with the laser sword shows up and starts slinging people around with his mean thoughts. That was probably the best Force usage scene the movies have ever had outside of maybe Luke pulling his lightsaber out of the ice in the Wampa den.

Also how flatly things were shot in the prequels compared to these war scenes. They put Lucas's stage-play tier camerawork to shame for his Clone.Droid battles, Jesus.

>one of my favorite star wars movies
stopped reading there, bye

>Poor acting
Literally how?

Compared to TFA, tho... The 'Ace Pilot' seems like he walked out of a mid 80's coke-addled New York strip club. And the Black stormtrooper looks like he played high school football, not a brain-washed super-soldier.

Good writers and director, Disney ruined it.

Probably means character development.

Donnie Yen seemed to be the only one having fun the whole time

The pilot's death was the cheapest death. Really, a stray grenade just happened to land in his ship?

They were being overrun.

I wish at some point the characters realized it was a suicide mission, either before or during. Would've made it seem more heroic, which the storyline deserved.

Movie should have started with Jinn being just kind of a teenage fuckup in Saw Gerrera's forces, and the Rebels come seek her out because they think she can get her father the imperial engineer to defect or sabotage the place not knowing he's already doing so form within. She's not really very good at anything but all of a sudden she's really important and has to kind of struggle to keep up with the top level rebel operative, and the Imperial Killbot and the Force user, and the burly asian gunner, and they save her ass sometimes and maybe they're all even a bit annoyed they have to bring her along because she's so inexperienced, but then she starts showing competence and bravery where in the beginning she was making mistakes and needed her ass saved a couple times. Now by the end she's making rousing speeches to the Rebels, and coming up with clever and courageous ideas to get the plans, because her experiences with her new friends has taught her a little something new from each of them. She gets some sly trickiness from Cassian, some practical knowledge from Killbot, some faith from Ip Man, some courage from machine gun Asian dude.

It would have made the movie a lot more engaging, the emotional moments a lot more emotional, and the ending deaths a lot more impactful, if we got to see Jinn as a young girl thrust out of her league in extremely serious business, and then watching her go from than inexperienced girl to rise to the task and become a hero of the Rebellion. As it was we dropped into jinn's story when she was already basically a fearless action hero, she just needed a task to apply that to. That's pretty boring. It bothers me that this wasn't the way the movie was, because it was basically one main character away from greatness.

Anyone else get 08th MS Team feels?

Also, in terms of being stand-alone off-shoots featuring the 'little guy', there seem to be parallels...

I mean, they really could've played the Sol Guerrer affiliation of Jin Urso up, to counter-act the cool, calm demeanor of Rebel intelligence leader Cassian. Also, Jin could've been more 'ferrel' and we could've seen more of her solo fight scenes before being taken in by the Rebellion. Cassian could've 'turned' her and shown real acumen given his profession.

The whole storyline could've flowed a bit better.

What do you think girl protag's speech when they were in the ship meant? Also,how the fuck do people manage to remember SW character names, let alone spell them, so quickly after release? Fucking nonsense names.

Wow this really made me think, so glad that user was here to give me his utterly mediocre review

I really wish they went full grimdark instead of this reshot garbage with shitty quips

also the Tarkin CGI was too obvious it felt like a bastardization of Star Wars

There are literally 2 good Star Wars movies lmao, Rogue One didn't have much to content with

Empire and Revenge? I agree.

>full grimdark
Agreed.

There's no atmosphere or tone in terms of aesthetically continuing portraying the Rebellion. (aesthetically versus plot since all the characters are dead). The only hint of a sequel to Rogue One is one scene where a female Jedi is mentioned.

What scene are you referring to?

I liked the Rebels show cameos. Kind of wish they'd just put them in as minor characters

>The only hint of a sequel to Rogue One is one scene where a female Jedi is mentioned

The scene happening concurrently to the ending battle where
>she
Talks to the rebel commander in the green. He says something about 'trusting *her* with my life' , referring to a Jedi.

Leia is not a Jedi

Are you ESL or retarded? He said he was getting Leia to contact kenobi because it had to be someone he trusted.

You mean bail organa, Leias dad?

Fuggg.

Everyone has the dumb some time or another.

I would like to gripe how Rogue One could've been a feels movie instead of a Holiday block-buster for normies.
>That score tho

It's okay user, my friend asked me why the hispanic guy was going to shoot Mads and then we found out I was the only one in a group of four people who paid attention to the fact that he was a traitor at the start. People do dumb things when they watch movies.

war is hell

Pathetic bait

I'm glad I watched it in a cinema for the Scariff scenes, but the rest of it was pretty boring. Cassian got two redemption points which felt a bit redundant (saving Jyn's father and then going on the suicide mission), Saw Gerrera was a huge plot point but was also irrelevant, and the action in the first half was boring. The characters also sort of drifted into the story with little gravity; the Force monks and the pilot just get on the ship and hang around for no good reason besides they hate the Empire

But damn was Scariff good.

>cheesy vader dad joke
>no recanonization of teras kasi depiste chirrut imwe action
>no john williams
>no opening text crawl
>pointless and meaningless saw gerrera death

2/10, would rather watch episode 2

>mfw I laughed at K2 three times and whenever I did nobody else did
When Jyn gave him that crate and walks off and he just drops it straight away, and when he's at the data retrieval station and guns down the stormtrooper without even looking were funny

It's neat how K2's caustic attitude is counter-balanced with his inability to have sentience, or true personality.

How was Cassian a traitor?

>Hating the Empire isn't a good enough reason to want to fight them
lmao did you read what you wrote man? You realize they got on the ship to escape getting blown up, then once they where out of atmosphere they witnessed the Empire destroy what they based their whole life off of?

I guess user might have seen Galen Urso's affiliation with Sol Guerrer as defacto allegiance to the Alliance (at that point, at the beginning of the movie, we don't know Sol's relation to the broader Rebellion, and by extension, Galen's relationship, if any). Most likely Galen's relation to Sol was low-key since Galen is trying to lay low. Sol is a friend and ally on a planet on which Galen can hide.

I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME
I AM THE FORCE
THE FORCE IS MEME

What was the deal with the big buildup and focusing on the crystal that Jyn has? I felt like it was gonna play an important part or help save the day, but it's just kinda....there

Yeah but why did they stay with Jyn instead of enlisting properly or whatever? They sort of just stay on board

It's khyber.
It conducts The Force. She ain't no Jedi.
Although it does seem to 'help' when they call in to land at Scarif.

>A lot of the jokes got some smiles out of me
>Final act is the best final act in any Star Wars, next to ROTJ
>Each cameo was done right

And this right here is why the cancer that hollywood puts out keeps spreading. Idiots like OP are actually encouraging them.

What the FUDGE was wrong with Vader in this movie?
His suit looked lower budget than it did in the original trilogy and he sounded blacker than usual

I thought the movie would be about them gathering the death star info allowing you to get to know the characters and feel for them, only for them to eventually be intercepted by face Darth Vader. Then these characters you care about get mauled by him without a sweat. It would have added to his villainy.

I might be blind but I didn't even notice that Tarkin was CGI. Definitely noticed the CGI with the last Leia scene, though. The droid seemed kind of pointless and his "jokes" were all shit. The large-scale scenery was stunning. The final battle was great. The last scene with Vader was fucking amazing. That one lowly guard who passed on the data chip through the door was probably the best actor in the whole movie.

I'll give it a 7/10 until further review. I was skeptical through the beginning until I realized that the protag wasn't a Rey 2.0

their planet/home had been destroyed like an hour before they set down on yavin 4. i think their participation in the scarif mission -- had they lived through it -- would have been sufficient to constitute "enlistment."