Holy shit I only just watched this and expected it to just be another mediocre kids film

Holy shit I only just watched this and expected it to just be another mediocre kids film

Easily the best animated film of 2016. Animation and score was fantastic, the story was fun whilst having some mature themes and the voice acting was spot on.

How did this fly under the radar as much as it did?

If you must blink, do it now.

Because maybe none of you pay attention to anything actually film related? This was seriously the best stop motion animated film in over 20 years and quite possibly the best stop motion has ever been, period.

You faggots were too concerned with spamming about minorities in Rogue One or complaining about mods taking away your blacked threads to notice

I loved it too, though the writing in some parts was hard to bear.
>How did this fly under the radar?
It wasn't Disney or Dreamworks. I know, fuck this country.

It's Laika. If you paid any attention you would have already seen it.

will probably go barely noticed at the Oscars, they will just do as all other years
>uh what's the name of the Disney movie this year? Ah okay yeah I'll vote that.
Big Hero 6 was mediocre but the LEGO movie still lost against it.

>want to see this in theaters
>have no friends that would willingly admit to enjoying kids films

Well I get the joy of being right again after I watched it at home, but it would be nice to have someone around with any fucking taste.

Why is it called Kubo and the two strings when his guitar clearly has three?

I became Laika's bitch when I saw Coraline in theater, but I would have never seen Coraline if my gf at the time hadn't dragged me. So I think Laika's problem is their image or advertising or reputation, idk.

why don't you just see it by yourself for fuck's sake. just go see the movie if you don't want to see it.

"i never did X because my friends didn't approve waaahhh"

Eh, Sausage Party was better.

>Easily the best animated film of 2016.

>movie was not funny
>it was obvious beetle was his dad
>using strings from his mother's hair made no sense, most of the "powers" kubo had made no sense
>villagers pretending moon king was a nice guy made no sense. why would they help him, and what if he regained his memory in the future?
the stop motion was well done

Zootopia was more fun to watch

big hero 6 was better than the lego movie

this was a nice line

>says fly under the radar
>knows nothing about RADARs

>white female monkey needs to look into big black male beetle's humanity to realize she loves him
>their togetherness is represented by a white string and a black hair
>white female and black male must protect their son/legacy against evil male who is surrounded by a white glow, wears all white and turns into a white fish monster

really makes you think

big hero 6 felt amateurish as fuck, like it was that team's first movie

>using strings from his mother's hair made no sense
Its called magic you fucking ding dong, is this really one of your criticisms?

Big Hero 6 was generic and played it safe, it felt more the setup for a series even if with better animation.
the LEGO movie was different than the way the other lego movies are animated and it had a genuinely nice twist.

yes, the magic made no sense, that was the rest of the sentence?

>using strings from his mother's hair made no sense
Kubo's mother was a literal deity, are you stupid? Did you fall asleep? His grandfather was fucking God.

How does it not make sense to you that demigods and full gods have magic powers? Are you legit retarded here?

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that Laika films aren't dedicated to everyone. Main protagonists are somehow 'different' (read: weirdos) from the surrounding society. They are anti-heroes: they don't wear capes, don't show off with their superpowers if they have any, they seem to struggle with problems related with their past or family, finally: often they're being treated like outsiders and not welcomed by society. That summoned together makes these films very elitical and requires some sensitivity to appreciate their moralistic and artistical value.

"Fish out of water", "outsider" or "antihero" story arcs are not hard to relate to, user. Seems like a loose point.