Why does the internet want me to hate this movie so much?

Why does the internet want me to hate this movie so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i9-vP7kJheI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It had immense flaws that many people couldn't get over. Weak characterization, a jumbled 1st and 2nd Acts, CGI Tarkin and Leia, cliche after cliche, unnecessary fanservice, and parts of the movie that probably only made sense in an earlier draft of the script. On top of that, it represents the "Marvelization" of Star Wars by establishing a "Cinematic Universe" with yearly releases. Then you have nostaligia fags who are upset that it isn't rehashed Star Wars like TFA, and the EU nerds who would rather have just watched a movie about Kyle Katarn. There are a lot of reasons to hate this movie.

For me though, the 3rd Act and Donnie Yen redeemed the rest of the movie. Those two things were good enough for me to overlook tge bad parts of R1.

It's weird to not agree with Plinkett, but there it is, I really didn't like TFA and I mostly enjoyed R1 quite a lot.

zero (0) ewok

I didn't understand Rich's argument that Star is as a very limited universe. I think of all the EU crap that I've seen, played, and read, and the universe really does have a lot of potential out form under the shadows of the OT.

How much did Disney have to bribe them to get a good plinkett review?

His point was that you'll never see anything new in the movies that are made.

They shit all over Rogue One, dumbass.

I don't know.
The arguments barely make sense to me.

Sure I snickered at cgi tarkin, but the rest of the movie was great and I could suspend my disbelief a bit there.

What review did you watch cocksucker?

What I find funny about the RLM review is that for the same reasons they said TFA was a good movie, were the same reasons RO was a bad movie.

The one where they say that Rogue One fails with its characters, story, and emotional connection.

That's not accurate at all though. Do you just totally lack comprehension skills?

Of course this has less to do with the setting itself than it has to do with Disney's mass appeal mindset.

Except everybody but RLM and that bitch that is spammed here is sucking R1's dick.

You're on board with the pleblien masses if you liked R1.

>Rich's argument that Star is as a very limited universe.
I think that's just the result of what they want out of a Star Wars movie. One of the main points I got from their review is that it bothers them that Rogue One looks like a Star Wars movie, but doesn't feel like one to them (different tone, different kind of story, not about the force or jedis). It's more a criticism coming from personal disappointment and flawed expectations than anything rational.

i get that
but that's what i liked about Rogue One
It was a story set in the Star Wars Universe and did it's own thing
The title is Rogue One "A Star Wars Story"
not Star Wars: Rogue One

I'm hoping the other "side" stories do their own things

We still have the Episodes I - IX to have the "Star Wars" experience

His argument was that for a company like Disney, they'll always stick to storm troopers, LightSabers, the same thematics over and over, etc etc.

Yes a company more willing to take risks might be able to do that, but that's not what Disney is

I think the biggest problem Disney has showed us with their handling of Rogue 1 is that they think to make a star wars movie, they just need the props and setting. AT-ATs, the force, storm troopers, they think that's a star wars movie. But it's more than that

>but that's what i liked about Rogue One
That's what a lot of people liked Rogue One, and it's what the movie was advertised as in the first place (which is why I brought up flawed expectations). RLM didn't like the movie because it wasn't what they wanted it to be, even thought it was never trying to be that in the first place. It's pretty bad criticism, and only comes from personal disappointment on their side; there's no reason anyone else should take that point seriously.

They didn't like the movie because it had no interesting characters. Was the movie marketed as having shitty characters?

Youre kind of saying "the movie was never marketed as being good"

Maybe if each Star Wars movie makes enough, they can take risks, maybe do a KoTOR movie. If they can do Rogue One, which only has tangential connections to the main series, mainly through Tarkin, Vader, and the Death Star itself, then something completely different isn't totally out of the question.

Way to deflect the discussion because you can't defend RLM's argument of "I didn't like that it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie, even thought it was always marketed as a completely different story that was only set in the same world. Why is the tone different? I don't like that this feels new, but still uses the same visuals."

>Jack and Jill was marketed as an Adam Sandler comedy, therefore you're not allowed to disslike it for being an Adam Sandler comedy
Fucking hell, do you realize how retarded you sound?

They acknowledge that the tone is different. They also acknowledge that the different tone doesn't work if you don't give a shit about the story or the characters. You seem to have difficulty grasping concepts more complex than "movie good" or "movie bad."

Its their sacrificial lamb, well this and WW see how they are going to laud WW as a 10/10 no matter what and they then are going to be back to give Disneyshit 10/10s all over the place and shitting on everything else not made by the mouse.

>mindless drones who worship ecelebs and cancerously shill their every video

A movie can advertise itself as having a different tone than other Star Wars movies and still not be good.

Is Rogue One gonna be the next BvS? are you fags gonna start making daily thread about how you cant comprehend how some people like some things and others don't?

>maybe if I single out one of RLM's many complaints about R1 and ignore all their other ones, it will look like I'm making a point

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg
>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas
>"SW ate the heart and the soul of Hollywood. It created the big-budget comic book mentality."
- P. Schrader
>"A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen SW over a 100 times? I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness
>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core."
- David Cronenberg
>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- W. Friedkin
>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- A. Iñárritu
>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire, this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- A. Jodorowsky
>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

And 90% of it is absolutely garbage.

Even KotOR couldn't resist giving you an old mentor, a protocol droid, a wookie, a repair droid, and Not Millenium Falcon. Yes, some of those things were twisted in such a way to make them more interesting, such as HK-47, but Star Wars media always has to hit certain beats.

So despite the fact that you literally have an infinite alien universe at your disposal, you're always going to have lightsabers, smugglers, a cool ship, snarky droids, ugly dark side users in black, wise space wizards in brown, and a super weapon. Some writers are decent enough to make it seem fresh, but no one is going to read a story about a farmer in buttfuck nowhere who has a very small scale adventure on his own planet not involving the force in any way.

I really kind of wish KOTOR had avoided that stuff. At least Kreiya was kind of weird and mysterious as a mentor, and then you find our why, but the need for a bipedal and a repair droid was too forced. At least they kind of tried to work some non-humans in.

>And 90% of it is absolutely garbage

How much of it have you actually experienced? I get the impression most of the people that say this only say it because other people have.

youtube memers hate anything that isn't """""""""fun"""""""""

You don't need lightsabers imo.

Sure the scene at the end with vader was kind of cool I guess, but it wasn't necessary.

Snarky droid and a mystic are probably requirements though.

Fan service you say?

because it's a bit shit

Also, I think the Star Forge was unique in that it's not a directly weapon. In fact under the right hands, it would be an incredible force for good, churning out freighters and civilian craft making it easier for anyone to be a spacer.

>rogue one is bad because it relies on nostalgia and the characters are bad

>The Farce awakens is good because it relies on nostalgia and the characters are good

>>The Farce awakens is good because it relies on nostalgia
They literally have never said this. If you watch their TFA review they point out that the fan service moments were some of the weakest parts of the movie.

If a video or person provides a sound argument on any topic you are allowed to agree with them as long as you understand why you now believe something and not "dude just look at this video"

>hey user do you want to see the new adam sandler comedy
>okay
>well user what did you think of the new adam sandler comedy
>i thought it was bad
>why
>because its an adam sandler comedy and i dont like adam sandler comedies
>then why did you go to see it user you fucking retard.

Knights of the Old I and II, along with TOR god help me. And that awful Revan book
Bane Trilogy
Young Jedi
Jedi Academy
Rogue series
Thrawn Trilogy
Hand of Thrawn
Dark Empire
Legacy of the Force
Darth Plaguesis
Yuzahn Vong stuff here and there (hated it)
Force Unleashed
Death Troopers
Death Star anthology
Some new Jedi order shit
Novelizations of the movies

I do a lot of reading, obviously. I love Star Wars, but I'm well aware of the fact that the media surrounding the universe is limited to a handful of things. This is simply because it's what people recognize "Star Wars" as, it's what they want to see more of, and that's what makes money. It's not that the universe is inherently flawed, its simply so iconic that it's stuck doing the same shit over and over

Sup Forums will never, EVER hate rogue one

casuals BTFO

This makes absolutely no sense considering that RLM have liked previous Star Wars movies, including the most recent one before Rogue One. Fucking dumbass.

>im too mature to appreciate things made for children

Kek what a child.

Oh god are you baiting me or are you really this dense?

Im pointing out how retarded the logic of your analogy was.

Being disappointed by R1 for being exactly what it asvertised as being is retarded. It's like not liking a horror film because it was scary.

The entire movie is fanservice. Almost every shot is lifted from the various films.

Film set during Imperial rule and has stuff from this era + some new aditions like u-wing mc75 cruiser, imperial tank etc. - bad nostalgia pandering

Film Set years after episode 6 has 1 new imeprial destroyer and the rest are basicly repainted x-wings, ties and stormtroopers - good
Not to mention reducing Han solo to shit.

>every shot

This is why no one takes you fuck seriously

why are you such a little bitch? Nobody wants it to be popular to shit on Rogu One, they just think it's shit.

now go look for something on r/the_donald to downvote and stay on Reddit

>RLM's Rogue One review was so badly done that Mike had to do two (TWO) videos of damage control
I didn't even fucking like Rogue One but this is getting hilarious.

>damage control
Can this meme fucking end please?

youtu.be/i9-vP7kJheI

Plinkett responds to Rogue One comments.

they are trying way too hard.

Wow... This is the end of RLM, right?

Embarrassing.

Sup Forums has been saying this whenever they release a new video for literally years now.

>being this bad Mike tore you a new asshole with his uncut, 9-inch cock

This got me to unsub lmao

they are buttmad as hell

This newest video was damage control, though. It was Mike commenting on fucking youtube comments and trying to prove his own points against straw men.

>unsubs over a difference of opinion on a Disney product
>calls anyone else buttmad

HAHA EPIC MIKE YOU TAKE DOWN THOSE YOUTUBE COMMENTS

>mfw this is what happens when manchildren star wars fanboys have their safe space violated

Didn't expect your favourite Star Wars fanboy critic to utterly shit on this corporate product of a movie, did you?

Bro, I didn't even like Rogue One but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend the HITB was a good review. And now they shat out yet another damage control video on Rogue One when even normies have moved on from that dull slog of a film.

I'd rather watch Mike read a children's joke book than see another video of him responding to fucking youtube comments.

>damage control
You faggots really need to stop using this pointless phrase

>even normies have moved on from that dull slog of a film.
So I'm going to have to assume you haven't been on Sup Forums for the last two weeks.

>everyone who talks about star wars on Sup Forums is a normie
FUCKING
KEK

>the internet

RLM is not the internet, there are a shitton of Rogue One fanboys too, especially on Sup Forums

>You faggots really need to stop using this pointless phrase
You need to stop getting triggered by the appropriate use for damage control.

>So I'm going to have to assume you haven't been on Sup Forums for the last two weeks.
Sup Forums isn't composed of normies, those fucks are only around when TWD or GoT are on. Most of you fucks are just trolls, Sup Forums, or tasteless idiots. But normies are certainly not the majority here.

>Mike commenting on fucking youtube comments
Can you imagine how quickly people would be dropping RLM and shitting on them if they had responded to reddit comments?

I'm glad R1 happened, got way more plinkett than I expected, sooner than I expected.

tv will do the whole
>theyre butthurt and triggered xD
thing

but they (rlm) is 100% right on everything

>So despite the fact that you literally have an infinite alien universe at your disposal, you're always going to have lightsabers, smugglers, a cool ship, snarky droids

Gave a few EU books a shot, and this was true even of them. There is always a jedi, a smuggler, and a BEEP BOOP repair droid

>Why do obese american people want me to hate the only star wars story without a stupid hollywood forced happy ending

>For me though, the 3rd Act and Donnie Yen redeemed the rest of the movie. Those two things were good enough for me to overlook tge bad parts of R1.
Same here.

I'm happy with this 2bh, I need shit to read through because I have no life.
I'm probably going to go watch R1 again tomorrow so I can come up with more arguments for these threads.
Hey is that cartoon good? I see a lot of that qt used for reaction images.

I literally cringed when he showed the box office numbers for TFA to argue it was a great movie.

That's like saying Bayformers is fucking 10/10 because of China. Shit, I'm glad China runs our movie market now otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Donnie Yen.

You have 10 SECONDS to name all of the characters on the movie poster without looking them up

Then tell me you had emotional investment in them

>I literally cringed
Kill yourself

I also literally groaned

I forget RLM likes to use groan-worthy instead of cringe but if it makes you mad I'll use both next time.

>those low hanging fruits in the comment section
>when someone said TFA is bad he pointed how it sold well
>as if sales means quality
>when they themselves laughed about space Pocahontas
Holy shit this is pathetic. I didn't even like R1 but him dicksucking TFA so hard is baffling.

he tried to prove the prequels are objectively bad because disney doesn't sell much prequel merchandise.

It's like saying TOS star trek is objectively better than DS9 because they sold more spock ears.

>100% right on everything
Except that's wrong.

I'm not sure where to begin, but for an example TFA was worse than Rogue One. TFA is a blatant remake of Episode IV, it had shallow characters with nonsensical actions, and rehashed a shitton of stuff,
Rogue One tried to do something different but had the same vehicles and things from the OT because it was set IN THE FUCKING OT
The AT-ATs were fanservice but they're in like four scenes and it's not the end of the fucking world you baby.
The complaint that R1 is some corporate money grab is ridiculous since TFA is the same thing. Mike even used, "LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY IT GROSSED" as a fucking argument.

His argument is exactly this,
it's too similar in ways it has to be, and too different in ways that Star Wars hasn't tried before, waaah
It wasn't even that great, it was at least equal or better to TFA though.

Its just too long thats all

They should have cut out the middle 1/3

>monosyllabic names mean the characters are more memorable
TFA a shit, Rey a shit, you're a shit

It has a qt with reaction faces

I remember K2-SO, Cassian, Jerso(?)... Director Kenndrick(?),

I did tear up at Donnie Yun's death scene

I'm one with the Force and the Force is with me

;_;

i only had a minor emotional investment in donnie "Bazinga" yen

I might have agreed with Mike er.. Plinkett that the use of AT-ATs is fanservice for RO but... they used AT-ACTs..

Fucking rlm-plebs can't even tell what the fuck is one the screen and get mad for no reason. lmao

How can you care about a character when they have so little characterization you don't even know their name?
I swear the never even fucking mention the name of the pilot in the film

Name the characters in Saving Private Ryan.

The ending of this one is really pathetic when he starts trying to prove his points with sales numbers and youtube views.

I really wish someone had told him to stop before making this. It's kind of sad.

Private Ryan

Why did you said that name?!

>Implying you need to remember someones name to have emotional investment in them.

And yes, I cared about them more than Mary Sue Rey and Token Black Whatshisface.

I saw it ten years ago, while I saw Rogue One last week.

He was right about youtube views and whether or not people cared about his opinion but that petty shit shouldn't be in the video.