Why is it doing so badly overseas?

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars2016.htm
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm
boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=harry potter
lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/search/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have no idea

Female main character, so Middle Eastern countries won't see it. Black character, so Asian countries won't see it.

>17 days in release
>barely above TFA's opening weekend gross internationally

Kek

Star Wars Faggots on suicide watch

SW is a cult film outside the US.

star wars is an american bubble meme. only dumb americans flock to it

It's not, domestic takings are updated daily where overseas is weekly or longer.
Its still yet to open in China also

Diversity is a Western liberal phenomenon. The rest of the world is so conservative they make Reagan look like Carter. At least the old school Jewdio execs knew how to make films that were world-wide successes.

hopefully it will kill this shitty franchise once and for all.

no white men

No china opening yet.

>mfw it actually makes less than Suicide Squad

The domestic total is updated through Friday at the moment, while the overseas total is up-to-date through Thursday. Domestic has one extra day, but even so, this is an extremely poor domestic/overseas split.

China won't save it. It's looking to make around $60m total there - TFA made $124m.

China dont give a shit about Star Wars. the original trilogy was never released there so there is no original fanbase.

The rest of the world boycotted it to protest multiculturalism.

Disney is done.

it should've been titled Star Wars: Rogue One

I guess you guys are forgetting Ip Man is in it.

having a female lead is passable in one Star Wars movie, but two?

THE WORLD SAYS NO DISNEY, TAKE A FUCKING HINT.

TFA sucked and the hype for Star Wars died. Only psuedo-nerds can't handle that truth, it is all downhill from here.

It stars a woman though.

gooks like to eat bunnies not watch them

Regular people dont react or notice how diverse a movie is.

SW is like McDonalds,American thing, same bait over and over again,you really must be burger to fall for it 10 times.

HMM, WOULD HAVE EXPECTED 1BIL BY NOW

IT WAS A PRETTY DECENT WAR MOVIE IF YOU JUST CUT OUT THE DRAGGING FIRST ACT

AND THE HILARIOUS SERIES OF ENSEMBLE CAST DEATHS ONE AFTER THE OTHER NEAR THE END

This.

Star Wars never had global appeal. China cares fuck all about this children's franchise.

I guess you haven't seen the presale numbers.

Yeah, that's why I'd be surprised if Disney's still around in 2018. Normal people don't like girls and minorities in major movie roles unless it's a Blacked.com feature.

>$300m two weeks after release
>doing bad

Nice meme newfriend

Show me them.
If you don't think this movie will do good in China, you're delusional.

Even chinks don't like seeing their own ugly subhuman faces. They only like their own subhumans when they go through 500 times of plastic surgery to look white.

Bullshit. It's about as mainstream as a movie can be.

It was the same last year.

>if you don't think TFA will do good in China, you're delusional. look at the marketing disney have done, it's going to make $500m easily

And then it made $124m. Presales numbers are bad - they're pointing towards a total gross close to Star Trek Beyond, which made like $65m in China. If you look at Chinese social media sites like Gewara and Weibo, there is barely any interest in the film either.

Pretty funny that you magically think adding Donnie Yen will do anything for Star Wars in China. China have plenty of Donnie Yen as it is, they don't want to see him in some shitty western space opera for manchildren.

its literally a movie about a non event. nobody cares except autism nerds.gee whith guys thith ith the story of the rebels getting the plans to desthroy the Death star. I waited forever to see it. Darth Vader was awesome r-right guys. so dark. all children's movies should be dark

GENERALLY THE FIRST WEEK IS THE WHEN THE STUDIO GETS THE HIGHEST SHARE, EVERY SUBSEQUENT WEEK IT DECREASES

THEY ALSO GET A MUCH HIGHER PERCENTAGE FROM DOMESTIC THAN FOREIGN WITH SOME VARIATION DEPENDING ON DISTRIBUTION DEALS

DISNEY WOULD HAVE EXPECTED A BILLION ON THIS, THESE NUMBERS ARE SLOW

Show me. Don't bullshit me. Back up what you're selling.

we have taste

forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21485-presales-tracking-threadmaoyan-gewara-etc/?page=15

zero (0) ewok

No one outside of the US rewatchs these movies when they are on cinemas.

'Murrikkkans do.

Now break it down and explain how those numbers mean it's going to flop.
If you're going to make a point, follow through with it.

>Disney expected a Billion

Now you are just making shit up. Civil War made a billion and Disney spent way more advertising it. This is a spinoff movie, not the biggest and most hyped capeflick to date.

This movie was a risk and to get $800m+ will be seen as a success by the studio.

>This movie was a risk
How? It's the safest shit ever. It's a movie between Ep 3 and 4 featuring the most politically correct cast since forever.

yeah Donnie Yen makes like 5 movies a year

all of them arent going to be successful especially some shitty western movie that is only good if you get nostalgia bombed

i wish for superhero movies, star wars, disney and quipkino to die. Is this too much to ask for?

Then come up with a better idea that makes money instead of sitting around complaining about it

Star Wars films are frontloaded in terms of presales, even in China. TFA had the fifth biggest presales of 2016 for opening day despite only being the 12th highest-grossing film in China in 2016.

Rogue One is doing around a third of the presales of Civil War ($190m). Furthermore, it's doing around the same presales as Fantastic Beasts ($84m) and Doctor Strange ($109m). Given that, as I said, Star Wars is frontloaded in terms of presales, this all points to an opening day and final gross similar to Star Trek Beyond (60m yuan).

Other factors to consider are the fact that Rogue One released on January 6 and will only have a three week run before all of its screens are taken from it by the masses of releases at the start of the China New Year (January 27/28). It will also face competition from Passengers, which releases in China a week after Rogue One; JLaw and Chris Pratt are very popular over there.

Finally, and perhaps the most important thing. xXx: The Return of Xander Cage releases in January in China. It's the kind of action movie that Chinese audiences love, and most importantly it stars Donnie Yen AND Vin Diesel, who is hugely popular in China due to the Fast & Furious series. If Chinese audiences seriously need their fix of Donnie Yen (they don't), they'll wait until this film is released to see him, as he plays a far bigger part in the film than in Rogue One and his character is much more appealing and much closer to what he usually plays.

>. Black character, so Asian countries won't see it.
why do you think europeans want to see them?

>inb4 some oh so imaginative response about cucks

>source: my ass

>j-just make better yourself
The only way to combat Disney's cancer is to STOP GIVING DISNEY MONEY.

Simple as that. They are a tumor on this medium.

>$312 million
>doing badly

Because nobody outside america gives a RATS ASS about your stupid fucking diversity. Or your BLACKED obsession.

Typical fucking arrogant americans thinking they're the be all and end all.

I hope Trump an heroes your entire nation.

Sup Forums is my source retard

its not, its only known because every american shows has a parody episode or something like that
i only know two people that have watched 1 of those films

you could be bothered to click on the foreign box office link but you could crop a screenshot and make this thread?

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars2016.htm

the answer is right there. the foreign box office total is reported as of 12/25 and some as early as 12/18 so its not current and you are a simple person

nowhere nearly as much hype here. People arent that crazy about star wars anyways.

Why do some many box office dunces make this simple mistake?

The foreign total says as of 29/12. That means it's completely up-to-date through 29/12. The individual countries are meaningless: the foreign total is not derived from adding up the individual countries (if you'd actually bothered to add them all up you'd see that they don't come anywhere close to $312m). Boxofficemojo receives a total foreign gross for Rogue One from Disney every day, but they only bother to give them up-to-date individual country totals at the end of each week.

You dumb fucking cunt.

You're the idiot here. Foreign gross is through thursday like said.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about multiculturalism, but when you get a needlessly diverse caste which is then used as a selling point in promotional media it's a pretty big red flag that the movie is going to be shit.

No one in Europe is pathetic enough to go see a shitty kid movie on NYE.

the only reason TFA did so well was that it was the first star wars movie in a long time, rouge one doesn't wasn't

how the fuck was Rogue One that expensive, when they probably saved a lot on actor salaries by hiring basically nonames

Disney is gonna flood the market with everything Star Wars related and kill the golden goose.

There's no reason to make a new star wars movie every year.

we don't give a fuck Because :
- it's not a real star wars movie
- the last one was absolutely pathetic garbage, almost killed the entire franchise
- - another women warrior mary sue and black/asian fucking squad who follows her everywhere she goes. can't bring myself to pay for this
- and the fact that I'm boycotting this pathetic franchise

Just like what happened to the MCU right?

I life in one of Europe biggest Cities and have barely seen any posters for it expect one right next to a cinema

overall talking to people Rogue never came up. It´s almost as if most people don´t even know about it´s existence

also Europeans are more and more getting sick of sjws stuff considering the state your continent is in right now because of left wing politicians so a movie that is all about "feminism is awesome, kill the evil racist white men" naturally won´t do so well

they add up to exactly the same 312m total

Based Whitaker had to die FIRST for this shitty international take? Fuck you Disney.

becuase we are not as dumb as the murricans

ITT: people tricked, once again, by hollywood creative accounting

German reporting in, it doesn't have giant billboards but it got decent television ad coverage, and it's advertised pretty big in cinemas themselves. Considering a lot of people got time off between Christmas and New Years, I guess it probably got some theatre visits

Because "nu"-Star Wars is a very American thing, whereas the older ones were "timeless" and not bound to "place" either.

There was buzz here in Ireland to go watch TFA, but I think everyone knows that even the more restrained American fans of the new stuff are pretty cringey.

We'll still go see the main installments at least up until episode 9, but only once, and people might not be "loyal" to "anthologies".
Personally, I'm dreading the Han Solo spin-off. It might kill the franchise.

No, they don't.

>classic star wars
>not american

Nah m8. The new ones are where they're deciding to cast britbongs for all the lead roles. The OT was americana as fuck. They're essentially westerns in space.

Nobody gives a shit about star wars. Why fucking go see them in theaters when i can just wait and pirate all this shit

lol

I'll pirate your butthole.

>McDonalds, American thing
Confirmed for never leaving the country. If there is one ubiquitous global franchise, it's Mc fucking Donalds. You can go to practically anywhere on the planet and find a mc donalds. The menu might be slightly different, but its fucking there, and immediately recognizable.
You can lament American corporate imperialism all you want, but it's a fucking thing you have to accept as existing.

its funnier that you took the bait to confirm it

I wanted to confirm it for myself anyway, so it was no trouble. Literally 10 seconds in excel.

>barely above TFA's opening weekend gross internationally
I don't know user, "the first star wars movie released in a decade" is a license to print money and, for better or worse, a generational cinematic event.
But now that its out of the way, its just the first installment of a franchise that they've already told us they're going to over saturate to the point where there's absolutely nothing special, and no reason to get excited for ANOTHER star wars.

Obi-Wan and Leia (in the first one at least) had RP accents as well as all the non-stormtrooper Imperials.

Plus I was more talking about the substance, not just the style. If it was only English-speaking countries that made up the "foreign" market, you'd have a point, but it's not.

As if the change of accents from burger to bong would be enough on its own to change everyone's opinions on Star Wars! The reality is that the modern films are made backwards, not "story first, product second", they're products crafted by American executives designed to appeal to the current American zeitgeist that they themselves created.

The real reason the entire empire was made up of Britbongs is because most of the movies were filmed in London, which is why literally all but 3 of the principal cast were english actors.

>Obi-Wan and Leia (in the first one at least) had RP accents as well as all the non-stormtrooper Imperials.

Leia only had the fake brit accent when she was speaking to Tarkin and Vader, as if its a formal voice register or something. And the fact that the imperials were british while the heroes were american rebels makes it pretty clear.

The rebels all had American accents though.

Bullshit. Star Wars is probably the most popular Hollywood movie franchise outside the US.

very little marketing in my country 2bh, no trailers and just the usual posters. not much written about it either. doa.

this
dumb cunts got jewed again lmao

>The rebels all had American accents though.
Well that's irrefutable proof that they're American actors then, right? Pic related, scottish born actor Denis Lawson in his role as THE rebel godking Wedge Motherfucking Antillies.

kek. Both Marvel and Harry Potter are far more successful.

You're fucking stupid.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm
boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=harry potter

...that doesn't matter. I'm just pointing out that the heroes were portrayed as American (even if using fake accents) and the villains were portrayed as British

Only exception is Obi-Wan, and that can be reasoned as him previously being part of the "inner circle" back when it was the republic.

You've linked to domestic numbers.

Furthermore, the Harry Potter movies were all released years ago, and there's been significant ticket price inflation since then.

Here are some European admission statistics for Harry Potter and Star Wars films.

Philosopher's Stone: 57 427 694 admissions
Chamber of Secrets: 50 330 323 admissions
Prisoner of Azkaban: 38 688 011 admissions
Goblet of Fire: 42 290 771 admissions
Order of the Phoenix: 36 874 969 admissions
The Half-Blood Prince: 33 875 076 admissions
Deathly Hallows Part 1: 33 851 504 admissions
Deathly Hallows Part 2: 37 877 564 admissions

The Phantom Menace: 46 845 738 admissions
Attack of the Clones: 30 707 420 admissions
Revenge of the Sith: 31 964 727 admissions
The Force Awakens: 36 273 579 admissions

Rogue One will barely do 20m admissions in Europe. And on top of being more popular in Europe, Harry Potter is far more popular in Asia and South America than Star Wars is. Other more popular franchises than Star Wars overseas include Lord of the Ring (each film has over 50m admissions, and the spin-off Hobbit films do around 30m each) and Marvel films, which are less popular in Europe but far, far more popular in Asia etc.

Also, bonus:
Titanic: 103 128 396 admissions

forgot my source:

lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/search/index.php

>flopping that hard
What the hell happened? It's a good movie.

>European

Why are yurocucks so fucking self centered? I was talking about the entire world outside the US.

>its a someone born after '00 tries to compare the cultural impact of the OT to the dullest franchise on earth and capeshit episode

>counts Rogue One failing
>doesn't count Fantastic Beasts failing

makes you think

Why don't you read his whole post before replying? I know of the famed American aversion to reading but that way you'll look less retarded.