Just watched this movie

It's a masterpiece. Why don't they make epics like they did in the 60s and 70s? The last one was There will be blood(2007).

TWBB is bad though

What is Alexander (2004)

there's no market for epics

Now watch Bridge on the River Kwai

I think it's the superior Lean film, both are masterpieces though. Movies like these will never be made again because Hollywood is too lazy and riding the CGI dick too hard.

Only directors who get free passes can make huge wide scale slow moving epics. They'd never let just anyone make something like Hateful Eight, because Tarantino makes money. Whereas once you fuck up big, like Cimino's Heaven Gate, you're through.

>Heaven Gate
5+ hour movie? Fuck that, I barely had the patience for Lawrence, which is 3:30

>Movie about Middle Eastern politics
>Main character is a white British guy

I only realized after a month after I finished it, that Prince Faisal was played by Alec Guinness. I knew he was in a good portion of Lean films, but didn't realize that it was actually him, fooking hell

What did he mean be this?

That summarizes middle eastern politics pretty well actually

Das Boot is about 5 hours long, the patrician running length. But Heaven's Gate is fucking trash, comparatively, and Das Boot was sort of meant to be watched as a mini series.

>TWBB is an epic
No.

something like LOTR is more of an apt comparison

Lawrence! Lawrence!

You just read that in this guys voice.

>Based on the memoirs of a white British guy

>mfw when lawrence was actually a super manlet barely over 5 feet tall
Probably why the Turks took his ass virginity.

fuck off idiot

The Revenant

off yourself you ugly mug

Budget: $15,000,000 (estimated)
The fuck? Inception took 250 mil to make.
The prices...

>Heaven's Gate

But I remember in a article there are some director cuts that make the movie actually good.

sauc3

Is that the new Macbeth?

SeeYes

What is some more /arabrevolt/ kino? I've already watched Theeb.

Nobody has the talent or vision to pull a Zulu or Waterloo. I just saw The Duellists recently thanks to Sup Forums and was floored that this was a Ridley Scott film. Nobody gives a fuck about visuals or recreating aesthetics like that anymore.

Rome was the last hurrah for historical epics. Why pay extras when you CGI people? Why do sets or film outside when there's green screen? Practical effects are going to become a lost art soon.

I would kill to see a big budget epic of Napoleon and his impact on Europe. Europe tried in 2002 with Christian Clavier and Isabella Rossellini but it was way too short and not very good. You need to do it in a TV series format with 8-9 seasons.

And good luck trying to depict historical epics without hamfisted token diversity. Unless you have black people in a meaningful role, it won't sell today.

Sad but entirely true.

I wish Ridley could take his success in dialogue and characters from movies like Thelma & Lousie and American Gangster, and transplant that onto one of his epics like Gladiator or Exodus.

Can't seem to get all the pieces together.

AURENS

A shit movie

Yes and its entirely worth a watch. Best shakespeare adaptation since julie taymor's titus.

How does it compare to Branagh adaptations? Or how do you view Branagh adaptations?

Branagh is an egomanic but his films are patrician tier, those two facts are related.

I thought that was the main problem with Exodus.

Beside Ramses who carried by Joel Edgerton acting. I couldn't really care for any of the characters and the stakes in the movie.

Like the romance parts between Moses and his wife. It was so quick that I had hard time feeling anything when he left her and finally came back.

Lawrence of Arabia is a masterpiece, they don't make films like these anymore.

Its not as grand in scale and relies more on its soundtrack. Branagh's films have a certain charm to them though. Mcbeth is probably the least "charming" shakespeare work, with all the madness and death and whatnot.

I liked LoA more than BotRK, tbqhwyfãm

What do ya think of "The Master" ? Well, bud !! Going to the theater to see film itself was the experience or the event of a week for the whole family at the time. So this LOA kind of grand epic that being showed in the joint with the proper equipment was seen as very speciality of its kind. It would be good idea to make sure what kind movie theater you have in your local area. It may be fun idea to make a short trip to the fully set theater in the different town near you if you can find any in your town. Anyway the circumstances has been changed, user. There some film maker out there are eager to make larger formatted film, but there isn't THAT much of joint that with the proper equipment to show for except theIMAX theaters. Those in the previous are most likely the primal reason why the industry doesn't make grand style epic cinema anymore. Don't lose any chance to see the good cinema Y'know what I mean !!!!

nice trips double

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Grand Illusion
Gallipoli
Paths of Glory
Lawrence of Arabia

if you don't watch all of these in one sitting in this order, you don't belong on Sup Forums