What would happen if a boxer played extremely defensively against mayweather?

what would happen if a boxer played extremely defensively against mayweather?

why hasn't anyone done it? surely if you just defended the match would end in a draw which is better than a loss?

He would still lose, Floyd will win on points via love taps.

He'd lose.

Because Mayweather has underrated offensive skills he learned from his Uncle Roger.

What he lacks in power he makes up for in accuracy.

But you wouldn't take the belt, which is the point.

That's because he only plays against offensive boxers, who are easier to tap because they're on the... offence.

Now try scoring points against a defensive boxer...

He fought Dinamita once, who's also a counterpuncher.

He counterpunched the counterpuncher.

I guess the closest you can get to a defensive fighter or outboxer outboxing Floyd is Dela Hoya but he also figured him out in the late rounds. Still a split-decision victory tho.

Wait a sec, why didn't he just wait for floyd to throw a punch first?

those dodges are beautiful, man

Who would win if both boxers just stand there?

Mayweather because judges.

Really incredible technique wow top of the sport here look at him just stand there. You know he knows what he's doing.

It's nothing like this other chump, who just stands there.

He initiated contact to draw out the counterpunch from Floyd so that he can counter the counterpunch, only for Floyd to dodge his counter-counterpunch.

kek

all floyd does is dodge - quick punch - back off

that's it, every time.

the key to his success is to just wait, quick jab, then wait again

man Floyd is stupidly quick.

Well pic related is a good example.

Canelo is a counterpuncher (a VERY good one at that), but Floyd lulls people into his pace. He baits you pitter-pat bullshit that annoys you, tempts you into wanting to punish, and forces you to throw punches in response lest you fall way behind on the score cards. And then he's so much faster, more accurate, and evasive than you, that he's making you miss everything you throw, countering you all your punches, and ultimately forcing opponents into a space where they're both wary of throwing punches because he so easily counters them that they think "One of these could knock me out if I'm not careful...", but also turtling or hanging back because he's still landing punches that they know will give him the round on points.

Counter-punchers performed worse than anyone against mayweather. look at JMM

Except when he walked down that mick who was 20lb heavier lmao

because they were goaded into punching first.

i would literally just wait

Reminder that the only boxer to ever get close to winning was Maidana

>implying de la Hoya didn't actually win

Castillo and Oscar were closer. Also if you count Mosley landing a bomb and having Floyd in serious trouble.

Maidana roughed him up and had some success but didn't win that many rounds

it doesn't work because Floyd has insane accuracy and hand speed as well as very long arms so he would just pot shot you with jabs and straight rights then fly away and dodge everything when you try to counter. boxers who just stand in the middle of the ring and try to outbox are perfect opponents for Floyd he wouldn't even lose a single round, see the Maquez and Canelo fights, he won 12/12 rounds in both of those

>extremely defensively

Because it's been done. Google "rope-a-dope" at the Ali/Foreman fight, you fucking fetus.

I feel like Floyd has peak human reaction speed

what the fuck are you on about

Because the only one able to win fights by being extremely defensive is Mayweather, judges love him

>what would happen if a boxer played extremely defensively against mayweather?
Marquez tried that and Floyd hit him early in the round forcing Marquez to have to attack. Money May is way too fast and uses a lot of faints and off-beat punches that throw off a lot of fighters. He'll win by rounds by only landing 4-5 punches to his opponents 1. The only reason Conor landed a few counters is because Floyd never feared him and fought offensively which is something he hasn't done since he moved up in weight.

He schooled Marquez who was one of the best counterpunchers around and made it look easy.

McGregor has abnormally long arms, I think if he really put time in boxing he could frustrate with his cheat tier reach.

Castillo and Maidana both beat him.

you can't beat Floyd at a boxing match, that's his best asset and his natural temperament. You don't engage him that way. You have to pressure him relentlessly and not let him have time to think or reset. Oscar had some success w/ this too but didn't finish the job.

It also helps to have judges and networks backing you, not to mention cherrypicking easy fights. A guy like Duran would've walked through Floyd.

Exactly. And people who saw Floyd fight for the first time ever was saying it's embarrassing how he couldn't KO a guy who outweighed him by 20 pounds.

Like he's some sort of KO artist.

McGregor would have a chance if he
1) could box (he barely can)
2) could jab (he literally just started jabbing in that fight)

But even a bigger boxer with a jab (Dela Hoya) was figured out. BUT Dela Hoya is the only boxer who scored a split-decision against Mayweather.

That's why many boxing fans were so upset that Paul Williams (a large boxer with a good long jab) never got to face Mayweather before his paralysis in 2012.

wtf where's my mayweather v ggg fight?

same length as de la hoya

I thought Conor looked very good. But he's just not experienced enough. You need more than just athletic ability to win a high level match. More importantly, he could attack quite well, but had no idea how to defend. That also takes a lot of fights and specific training to become natural at. For a guy w/ zero fights, I thought he looked great tho. He's not getting enough credit imo.

>I thought Conor looked very good.

He surprised me in that he won the first three rounds while hitting Mayweather. Even though Mayweather says it's part of the game plan, he also says he was awkward fighter.

And like Dela Hoya, he had trouble with the jab early on.

Reminds me of when Zab Judah won the first four rounds in his fight against Floyd.

Punching stats from Mayweather vs. De La Hoya
Total punches thrown/landed Power punches thrown/landed
De La Hoya 587-122 (21%) 341-82 (24%)
Mayweather 481-207 (43%) 241-138 (57%)
CompuBox Scoring

this. Deadshot tier

Mayweather can be an aggresive boxer when he wants to. You now remember his fight with Gatti.

This hurts

He's aggressive against fighters who have no chance to counter his aggressiveness.

I think the only time he was pressed to be aggressive was with the first Castillo fight.

Let me cheer you up, Mexibro.

he used to be more aggresive
however he is the champion, and whoever fights him must beat the shit out of him in order to get the belt, if you can't ko him, he stays the champion

Lmao thanks

I think he slowly stopped the aggression after he broke his hand Genaro Hernandez and got hit the most in his career with Emanuel Augustus.

It won't happen. He does this thing in the early rounds where he lets his opponent have his way, bringing out the aggression in them thinking they'd have a chance. And they fool themselves for the entirety of the fight from there on. He has most of them gassed out halfway through the fight just by making them miss so many shots.

It's amazing how this never fails. Literally every fighter falls for it and then talk about it after the fight wondering what happened.

what people fail to mention though is that letting your opponent continually strike you and forcing you to dodge or defend for long periods is also tiring.

Mayweather has GOAT stamina.

This fight just proved that anything other than heavyweight boxing is a literal fucking joke.

The fact that Floyd can just shrug off punches for ten rounds is proof of this. If a heavyweight did nothing but eat punches for 10 rounds he'd have broken ribs, organ damage, and a concussion.

Or, you know, an MMA fighter used to defending against kicks and take downs with a wide stance isn't used to properly punching like a boxer with the correct punching stance.

Last time anyone got close was De La Hoya and he was pretty much Oscars last hoorah. Sucks that May vs Pac didn't happen when it was supposed to in 2009 or 2010

Floyd's only exploitable weakness is the same as everyone elses...

Speed.

Zab Judah touched him up early before running out of gas, Floyd had no answer for Oscars jab when they fought, he got touched for the first 2 or 3 rounds of his fight with Mosley who 'was' a fast handed fighter before Mosley's age caused him to gas out after round 3. Even Miguel Cotto who has 'quick hands' but was a battered and tenderized version of his older self was able to put together those quick body and head combos on Floyd throughout their fight.

But Floyd has always avoided the elite fast handed fighters or fought them at the ends of their careers. The Zab Judah fight didn't even get signed until Judah lost to Baldomir and Floyd saw that Zab was a midget when it came to cardio and poise.

But that Judah fight to date was the best Floyd fight because for the first 4 or so rounds you saw Floyd being matched by hand speed....but again, Judah would totally collapse and get frustrated when he suddenly got figured out. He couldn't adjust for shit as a fighter.

Pac would only compete with May if Ariza was still in his corner giving him performance enhancers. Aside from that, Pac looks pretty pedestrian at 135 and above.

>he read 5 words and got mad

>why hasn't anyone done it?

Because the refs will always favor Mayweather, so everyone knows you have to go for broke.

>Sucks that May vs Pac didn't happen when it was supposed to
Replace Pac with a number of other fighters and you spell out Mayweather's career.

This. Floyd has amazing hand speed and if you go super defensive, he will find ways to dart in, land """power punches"""" and get out unscathed.

>Paul Williams
wtf he was 6'2'' how hes supposed to be in the same cathegory as a 5'8'' guy?

So another Mayweather who blocks instead of dodges? I'd be funny seeing him get wrecked defensively and lose on decision for his first L.
Then maybe someone with flabby shoulders should fight him. If you can't see shoulder muscles starting to twitch it'd at least slightly impair his ability to "see a punch coming".

Unless GGG moves down, never

He'd still win as boxing is still unfortunately clueless about how to stop the football equivalent of parking the bus.
>challenger goes in defensive
>he didn't challenge the champion
>he has to prove he's worth it

>underrated offensive skills
>Literally laid into McGregor who had been gassed since Round 6
>Still couldn't even come close to knocking him down

Yep, underrated alright.

are the casuals just here to stay now??

H-he's fast!

he'd win because he only fights when the rule are rigged to his favour.

So your a believer that McGregor had any place in the ring with Floyd? You'd have to heavily endorse McGregor to make that point, which means you don't know what you're talking about.