What's the best Swans era in your opinion? No Wave/noise rock, post-punk, or post-rock?

What's the best Swans era in your opinion? No Wave/noise rock, post-punk, or post-rock?

Or are you all plebs who only listen to To Be Kind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RZLGqHyeX-s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't listen to nu-male music

>To Be Kind
>pleb
To Be Kind is patrician af

probably late 90s with great annihilator to swans are dead

post-punk for sure, CoG to TGA

post-rock tobehonest. but thats just my opinion

late swans, i'm sorry. i'm a sucker for the grooves

Not OP but TBK is pretty awesome but he probably is trying to ward off the plebs that have only ever listened to new Swans
Like I said, only reason Swans would ever be associated with soyboy-types is the p4k-tier hype that surrounds the newer albums. They've got a huge bubble of shitty trends that surround their reputation as of right now but the fact remains that Swans has been great since the start and still is great today, or if nothing else at least legitimate. The acclaim coming from those that don't know any better doesn't take away the fact that what they are creating is still worth digesting.

Really like post rock but never listened to Swans, where do I start?

Let’s be honest for a second here. If Swans wasn’t surrounded by the p4k and fantano hype they would be unanimously considered patrician by the entire board.

It depends on the mood. If I am feeling shitty or I am working out, it's early no-wave Swans. If I am in a good mood, it's later post-rock Swans. If I am just feeling exhausted, it's the neofolk/post-punk Swans. If I feel dissatisfied with anything I am listening to musically, or really also fits all the others, I am listening to Children Of God and Soundtracks For The Blind. Being my favorite band, the only thing I legit dislike from them is their cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart

Do you like groovy post-rock or droney post-rock? The Seer or To Be Kind if you want the earlier, Soundtracks For The Blind if you want the latter. This is kinda vague but that's only because neither kind of Swans post-rock sounds like anything else in that genre despite some slight similarities.

Both, I'll check out The Seer first since that's the one I've heard the most hype around.
Thanks.

I always thought To Be Kind had the most hype?
Who cares, both are great.

TGA/SFTB era > Money/CoG era > Bunny era > No-Wave era > neo-Swans
Can somebody explain the appeal of the newer albums? I quite like My Father, but everything else just falls flat for me. It has nothing to do with the length of the albums. Like I said, SFTB is one of their best, but on the new albums it can feel like they're stretching the songs just for the sake of having longer songs without the material to make up for it. SFTB is such a varied, interesting listening without a single dull moment, but in my opinion the trilogy wears out its welcome way too fast.
On a side note, Jarboe's solo discography is ridiculously underrated. Listen to Sacrificial Cake & Anhedoniac whenever you can, they're great.

youtube.com/watch?v=RZLGqHyeX-s

You're now aware Gira did a cover of Under Pressure with Xiu Xiu. It's really endearing

Post Rock=No Wave>Neo-Swans>Bunny Era>Industrial Era
All their albums are great, but nothing can beat either Filth or Soundtracks

Anyone else but me thinks that Gira looks like that dude from Arcade Fire in this picture

honestly i just don't like you because you use abbreviations of their albums.
plus it seems you fight the fight too readily.
also there wasn't a no wave era.
in fact to pin down any 'eras' is so broad it is kind of cringe.

however, you are right in saying the newest albums are of the least substance, but i imagine not in the way you intended.

>you fight to easily
>opens with i don't like you

Rec me some no wave swans, I'm in the mood for new gym music

I think Swans has three sets of fans.

1. Old school: Usually older, maybe old enough to have seen swans play in the 80s, but will almost always argue profusely that the more hardcore, the better. Will argue that the live versions of the early albums are the best as they contain the most raw emotion and artistic intent. Describe the early work as draining, both physically and mentally. Know a lot of history, and will mock others that call early Swans 'no-wave'.
Also this fan will scoff at the opinions of others that aren't the same as theirs. The rest of Swans's work is vastly inferior. Sometimes they forget that that Public Castration is a Good Idea and The Glowing Man were made by the same group.

2. Middle children: Can appreciate the older records, know a bit of history, and understand how the rawness of such records is unmatched by any other group in music, but still prefer a more gothic jam. Enjoy Jarboe's voice, rather than wince at it. Rock out to Love of Life unironically. Appreciate the newer records, but it isn't for them. They would rather put on The Great Annihilator or Various Failures and feel a little gloomy for a bit, but love the record for its merits rather than arguing amongst other fans of the same band.

3. nu-swan: Mostly teenagers who have more recently discovered music that is just below the surface of the mainstream. Enjoy the image, know maybe one band member's name, and possibly find anything released before 2011 a bit scary or possibly nigh on dadcore (in general). Know some memes associated with he band.
Have a few (one) Swans tracks on a playlist (will say there are more) somewhere that they never listen to, but will play that one track loudly to friends when they get the aux to fLEX their muscles...
Have listened to maybe two or three of the most recent records, and are content with that being enough. Also like trap pop music.

BONUS TIER: Sup Forums: Has listened to Soundtracks for the Blind a few times (maybe once throughout, but probably not), and thinks it is the best record ever released, and will argue this knowing nothing about post-rock or the history of Swans. Probably posts their charts in charts threads too. More deplorable than the nu-swan.
Has not listened to anything other than Filth, The Great Annihilator and The Seer/To Be Kind/Glowing man trilogy(maybe once or a few times each), but seems to be more opinionated than any other group. Wait for meme reviewers and other people to make their minds up for them, especially when it comes to something they want to seem intelligent for liking (they think liking Swans will make them seem cultured, educated and like they have diverse taste), especially when they put on cLIPPING straight after a swans track - eclectic.

No wave swans is the only good swans

Listen to it chronological