Can we just go ahead and update the meme and finally include 80s and 90s rock as being Dad Rock?

Can we just go ahead and update the meme and finally include 80s and 90s rock as being Dad Rock?

If you were a teen back then, you're now in your 30s or 40s or even 50s. Surely Dad Rock won't forever be tied to 60s and 70s rock like another 20 years from now people will be talking about Dad Rock even though it was music listened to by their great-grandfathers. Already now people who grew up on 70s rock are grandfathers.

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/fallacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why do you care

Who cares?

He actually meant get fuck off Sup Forums if you're still a dadrocker

As someone born in '92 the rock "of my time" was post grunge stuff like Foo Fighters and Audioslave

You care

and so do you

why do I care? I don't care a whole lot and don't have a specific reason really. I just think it needs to be updated.

Maybe why people are objecting to it is because they're scared of their own passing through time and how their own teenage years are long gone. Soon enough Dad Rock will be Myspace shit like My Chemical Romance and BMTH.

>Can we just go ahead and update the meme and finally include 80s and 90s rock as being Dad Rock?
So Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel?

lol
i don't, i just think it's really laughable to think you can update a meme. it will change on its own or it won't. as soon as that mid eighties to late nineties shit becomes uncool all the retards that dismiss what's currently considered dadrock will do the same to this crop of artists. idgaf about their opinion.

92 here as well, and to be honest the grunge and post grunge stuff hasn't aged as well.

Then you got pop punk, nu metal, and Ska revival. All awful.

>someone born in '92

Okay but you weren't going out and buying casette tapes and sticking cigarettes in your denim jacket when you were like 8 weeks old.

Rock music of your time would be like Linkin Park after they ditched their nu-metal sound and The Offspring when they inexplicably came back with another one-hit wonder song in 2008.

I guess you were quite the precocious pop culture critic when you were still learning how to talk and write huh

Some dad rock is pretty good, though.

Okay, let's say you do include all rock from the 80s and 90s as Dadrock. Foo fighters I can see, Limp Bizkit and Korn okay, guns and roses and van Halen definetly, even Nirvana I might agree with. But what about shit like Polvo, or Duster, or Unwound, My Bloody Valentine at their weirdest, or Big Black and early Sonic Youth? Can this shit really be considered dad rock? It's fucking insane to think that you an group commercial popular music with very anti-commercial music as 'dad rock' because it's grouped by time period like that. Dad rock carries the connotations of boring, stale music tour parents talk about and play on the car radio, to call something like Slint 'dad rock' because it's feasible that a man that listened to them back in the 90s is old enough to now have children makes the term itself fucking meaningless.

Tom looks so happy. :)

>But what about shit like Polvo, or Duster, or Unwound, My Bloody Valentine at their weirdest, or Big Black and early Sonic Youth? Can this shit really be considered dad rock?
Yes.

Or the emo scene

Definitely. Especially those artsy ones from the time.

My dad listens to the mexican radio station

>im going to dismiss a whole genre of music because i hate my dad
>by the way no other genres will ever age also im going to stay young forever

>Dad rock carries the connotations of boring, stale music tour parents talk about and play on the car radio

If I tried to get my imaginary kid to listen to Rammstein and Drowning Pool and all the shit I listened to when I was 16 he'd probably find it boring as well. He'd just complain and ask that I put on The Chainsmokers or something instead.

>Dad rock carries the connotations of boring, stale music tour parents talk about and play on the car radio,
Wrong.

It's just music your dad listened to. Calm down

>Older music sucks because it's not new
>New music that I like will be good forever because it won't get old

dictionary.com/browse/fallacy

they're playing early 90s on classic rock stations. its officially dad rock.

There was no emo then, that shit died in early 90’s. What you refering to is pop punk faggot kids

MAYBE 80s rock but 90s rock? Hell no, if you grew up in the 90s you would be in your mid to late 20s and most dads aren't that age.

Who are you quoting? I'm arguing just the opposite.

I know full well that the late 90s and early 2000s pop-punk and nu-metal and emo that I grew up on is not what the youth of today listens to, for the most part.

There are for some kids here and there who do like music that is like 20 years before their time, just like how I liked old punk like Sex Pistols and Dead kennedys - but the average Blink 182 or My Chemical Romance fan is no way younger thann 25 years old.

all rock is dadrock because it's a creatively dead genre and no one besides ironic poseurs and fedora le wrong generationers still listen to it actively (as opposed to within historical context as one would do with older forms of popular music, jazz, classical, folk...)

>Hell no, if you grew up in the 90s you would be in your mid to late 20s and most dads aren't that age.
Except 90s rock was listened to by teenagers of the 90s (who were born in the early 80s) you dumbshit

lol

>if you grew up in the 90s you would be in your mid to late 20s

>grew up

I think you mean "if you were born in the 90s"

like these other dudes who think that they were old enough to be aware of grunge and alt-rock when they were in diapers

If you put on Animal Collective they'd find it boring

Dad here

Can confirm 90s rock is dadrock.

Sorry but AMA I guess

What music from the 90s do you listen to? Do your children listen to that music whenever you put it on? What do they think about it?

>What music from the 90s do you listen to?
Mostly indie stuff I overlooked back then, and some highlight albums that actually aged well (not all of them did, like Soundgarden)
>Do your children listen to that music whenever you put it on?
lol yeah
>What do they think about it?
They mostly don't like it or don't care. One kid listens to EDM, the other 60s/70s classic rock

I'm an uncle to 12 and 10 year old kids and they're both into intro-level EDM like Deadmau5 and Skrillex. My sister tried to get them into Blink 182 and other 90s pop-punk but they weren't into it at all.

Thanks for the info man hopefully the kid that listens to classic rock doesn't turn into one of those "I waz born in le wrong generation".

How awful. They should listen to 6ix9ine and xxxtentacion instead, that's normal and sane

When does 00s rock turn into dad rock

>Thanks for the info man hopefully the kid that listens to classic rock doesn't turn into one of those "I waz born in le wrong generation".
Nah, those kids generally have better taste.

I'd say about 10 years from now. Some emo kid from 2006 is now in his mid-20s. Your 30s is when you're dad-aged I'd say.