Could USA will win the World Cup 2018 by memeing their way to the final, like Greece in Euro 2004?

Could USA will win the World Cup 2018 by memeing their way to the final, like Greece in Euro 2004?

Could USA win*

Sorry for butchering your language

It's certainly more feasible than Leicester winning the EPL.

Any team could win it like that if their memeing is strong.

USA has 100/1 odds on betting sites, which puts you in 16th position only with the likes of Croatia. Not bad.

No. Memeing only has a limited effectiveness at World Cup level. Memes will take you to a Semi Final, but not all the way.

No, unless we had 10 PulisGODs

But the other teams have zero PulisGOD

>Meme team winning the only relevant competition
heh.

With the current squad? No.

As said, memeing on WC level is almost impossible. The only cases I can recall is Brazil winning '02 because every relevant team was refballed out and Spain '10 who won every game after group stage by 1-0. And in both cases, the team was stacked as fuck.

your defense would have to not be shit for that to work. Howard is the only one who defends well

tbf our defense is much better these days

Italy '82 wasn't exactly a meme team but they weren't the strongest either. They advanced in the group stage after a set of draws and ended up as champions, like Portugal last year.

"tbf" no its not, teen shit

nope, even if Sup Forums says something different, greece actually had a solid team, defensive af but still, obviously not top 10 in the world tho.
And the WC isn't like the euros, hues and argies make the tour far more difficult

>the Greece meme'ed their win in Euro 2004 meme
Mon ami, at this time Greece was a sleeper powerhouse of Euro football.
They had 3 (THREE) teams in the UCL 2003-2004 groups, plenty of World-class players in top Euro teams, and finally a coach who really cared about tictacs and devised strategies specifically to beat their opponents.

>argies
Will they even qualify? They're only 5th in their group.

They could go far with a little meme magic

and? top 5 in conmebol goes to the world cup, well... if they finish 5th they'll have to play against the mighty new zealand for a spot, I wonder who will win?

CHI

>still using greece as an example when portugal just did it last year
Does it still hurt or something?

Portugal had the best player in the world and a fair number of decent ones. Greece was literally who: the team.

Ronaldo hardly did anything all tournament and they won it without him. Fucking Eder scored the winner m8 it was a full on meme run/win

they finished 3rd in their group, and ronaldo didnt do shit in the final

It's ok Michel, what matters is you tried.

Greece had a strong defense and overall defensive system and relied on not getting scored and cucking you in a corner kick or something.

It's the only feasible way to meme your path to the Final.

>Ronaldo hardly did anything all tournament
>3 goals, 2 assists

That's pathetic when you consider how awful their opponents were.

Everyone was awful or mediocre in this Euro, including France and Portugal.

Anyone can meme a tourney. Look at Portugal just last year. Finished 3rd in their group, made it through the knockouts due to easy opposition, and even lost their best player early in the final against the only decent team they played. Still won it all

Croatia was not easy, although the match was awful to see.

Portugal finished behind Iceland in their group, Ronaldo insulted Iceland for playing defensively with no ambition, then they won the tournament using the same tactics. Meme team through and through

Lol. With Russia hosting, the US will get absolutely fucked on the draw. No way they're getting lucky and dicking around into the final.

Could you imagine the US memeing their way to a WC trophy in Russian soil?

>be Vlad Putin
>grin mischievously while PulisGOD scores a brace against Mother Russia in extra time

If Portugal can win the EC, then USA can win the WC desu.

Not the same level at all.
You can hate Portugal, but they have
>football crazy country
>good formation system
>can poach Brazilians easily
>a competitive league
>3 clubs that play in UCL
>World class players
What USA has about this?
Nothing.

usa gets better at divegrass every day muhammad

we are winning in 2018

My list are the requirements to be able to reach a WC semi-final. You don't win the hardest trophy to win on a fluke, or by training only some guys, like the Olympics.
You need an entire economy for this. Look at all who won it, they all have a massive football economy
I don't say you'll never win it. I say that you can't win now.
USA is starting to have a good formation system. A solid, competitive league

>Italy
epic
If England did it then it would've been a surprise. A classical powerhouse? Not so much.

Only local competitions can be memed. Every confederation has had a meme cup winner at least once in their histories: Greece, Kuwait, Canada, Bolivia, Tunisia, Tahiti. The World Cup is always won by an historic team, though. Even the losing finalist was usually an extremely good team, especially from 1966 onwards. The World Cup is only ever won from having an great squad and a top tier manager, while also having some form of history (Spain won 2 Euros prior to their WC win, which was against forever 2nd place).

I hope we never win desu. And judging by our attitude towards soccer it will never happen. Americans are fat and annoying idiots, and it gets worse during world cups when all the obese cunts take a break from mcdonalds and fox news just to watch usa get kicked out of group stage, and pretend like they know anything

USa is so far off from the real spirit of football that they won't ever be close to winning, at all. No mattwer how many semi-retired players they hire in their turd tier league, or how hard they try. There is a culture, a feeling ion football that they will never ever achieve. They just can be competitive at nigger sports and artificial like sports where they stop the clock every minute.
No, USA won't never be even close to winning a FWC, and if they ever do it will be because football is dead.

You have many youth licensees, so a big talent pool, but afaik, those are upper-class kids who don't play football like a matter of life or death
You'll always notice that all big sports stars come from a poor background, they are in a necessity to win, to be good, to get better.
USA will win nothing until a sufficient critical mass of poors play football seriously. It's already happening in some of your places, but I don't know if it's enough. You need to sift 1 million grains of sand to find 1 diamond, football is like that

Can't wait to see Donny and Vova in the Stands smirking and giggling at each other like a Teenage Couple

Italy had not won a WC in over 40 years. Their last success had been in the 1968 Euros, and the 70s had not seen the best version of Italy. Back then, good European teams were Netherlands, West Germany, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Belgium... The '82 win meant the rebirth of Italy as a football giant.

It's extremely unlikely, our team isn't good. But I guess anything is possible with some luck.

>You'll always notice that all big sports stars come from a poor background, they are in a necessity to win, to be good, to get better.
Most top players are from middle class backgrounds. Even in the NBA, where the "muh rags to riches" meme is strongest, most players are middle or upper class.

>They just can be competitive at nigger sports and artificial like sports where they stop the clock every minute.
What about hockey? We're pretty good at that.

They will anally rape us tomorrow

by the end of tomorrow >we will be 3rd, and by the end of next tuesday >we will be 2nd

Pulisic is not ready yet, but in 2026? Yes
In 2022 the World Cup will be played in the mid season, so every european NT will be at their best.

>Euro football
Throw it in le garbage

No, I don't think we can. Greece in 2004 had several great players and a bunch of decent ones. The US has one talented youngster who might become a great player, the other 10 men on the field are mediocre. France and Germany will be way too good in 2018, you can't beat them with memes and luck. Even if Pulisic turned into some GOAT-tier talent in the next two years, that's still not enough. You need a whole team, one guy can't carry you at the WC. The US can't seriously think about winning the World Cup until 2026 imo.

>Greece in 2004 had several great players
wat

Great by my country's standards, I should have clarified. I'm not saying these guys were competing for spots in FIFA's World XI.

I hope not. Sports media would never shut the up about it and discuss sports that we actually like in the USA.

imagine the scenes, would literally destroy the sport for eurosnobs

I don't think the eurosnobs in Europe would care. But can you imagine the eurosnobs here? The ones that use soccer as a thinly-veiled excuse to bash their own country? Oh god, just imagine the buzzfeed/salon headlines about toxic nationalism. Imagine the hipsters abandoning the sport in droves. What a glorious day.

Too bad it will never ever happen

If they cheated like Worst Korea in 2002+ the meme magic of Greece/Portugal in the Euros then yes

of course not, as others already said meme potential is limited in a WC.
also, if anyone can meme their way to a WC it's us of course, pizzi is like a jew ranieri desu

Texas is correct. Memes mean fuck all if you don't have the skills to outplay top tier opponents.

It's not gonna happen, dude. One decent player can't carry 10 children. And if he gets injured? Oh boy.....

no but we will meme to quarter finals and shitpost like we won the world cup

Why is France so cute?

>fat
>annoying idiots
>McDonald's eaters
>Fox News watchers

MSNBC cuck detected