What was it like using these?

What was it like using these?

Good times. Was the best using a tape adaptor so you could hookup your discman in your car.

costly and mildly annoying. discmans went through batteries rather quickly and the music would pause if you bumped it or shook it too hard

Boom boxes were better.

the 90s were better :(

A CD Walkman would always skip at parts if you moved around too much. It was quite annoying. You couldn't really go out on a walk with it or anything, but it was fine if you wanted to take a CD player with you for traveling

i guess i liked the tape versions better becuase as others have said, there was no studders from moving around or jogging with it.

Tapes were the best, especially when you left them sitting up atop the dashboard in July. Now eight track tapes where the bomb

Yeah, I'd take one on the bus and on bumpier roads I'd have to hold it up above my lap like it was a sloshing coffee cup. Little inconveniences make the world nice.

yep, discmans were awful

Used a cassete player in the early 2000s and compared to now it was shit. I literally have 40 gbs of albums on my phone now as well as better quality. Only hipsters will disagree.

ya'll remember those little radio/tv things that could fit in your pocket with extendable antenna?

i used to watch the cartoons on mine on the bus in the mornings

>nostalgiafags

Comfy.

Pretty comfy. Walkmans were better due to being immune to moving too much around. Later I've had a discman with antishock feature but it went through batteries insanely fast. You had to carry albums with you though and it was annoying as hell.

Pretty cozy. Very intimate. That said, I prefer my iPod just because you don't have to swap out discs just for one or two songs and whatnot.

It sucked, the iPod was a god send

Because you had to carry albums around with you, you listened to what you had with more intensity and this gave you a better basis for value-judgements.

Discmans were alright as long as you didn't shake them about too much. I remember I had to resort back to using one for a few weeks when my mp3 player died. Was pretty comfy.

21 now, never used a discman, but I did carry a walkman when my mom took away my ipod (phone was an old nokia, and there are no good radio-stations).
I was about 16 and I stumbled upon the thing in the basement, and there were a lot of tapes that I wanted to play prior to that, and I didn't have a tape deck.
It wasn't bad, but it's not convenient to carry a device like that in your pocket and shitload of tapes.
I'd usually have to make a choice between 5, all varying in genre.
That being said, the walkman is still a good tool for messing around with sounds, I do use it to create drones and sound effects.

Horrible, CDs are garbage. Tapes were alright.

I remember listening to Eminem on the bus going to school. Everytime we hit a bump it would start skipping lol

CDs are garbage.
They contain lossless digital data, what's so "garbage" about them?

Had a cassette thing as a kid and could only listen to mixtapes I made out of what shitty music my family had. Had a discman which was alright. Had a minidisc player as well but you had to record them yourself which was a pain in the ass, the device itself was cool though.

CD players skip all the time it was hell

FM/AM radio.
The only device I could skadoodled into class in middle school.

Was a minidisc kid back then. Still got those one gig Hi-MDs...I do not miss dealing with Atrac converting.

It was glorious.

>not having skip protection

just literally get a walkman with anti skip

>2004
>middle school
>chilling on bus listening to CD
>dickhead kids come up and slap your CD player and make it skip
>"DOES IT HAVE ANTI-SKIP DOES IT HAVE ANTI-SKIP"

>was
still use my walkman on occasion. it's pretty neat.

never had one because they were expensive as shit back then
when they were cheap nobody cared anymore

Man you must be young. Those didn't come out right away and good ones were expensive as fuck. I always used a portable tape player. I would buy the longest blank cassettes and make ultra long mix tapes from my cds. That was always fun. Then i got a mini disc player and used my guitar amp as a speaker for it and my speaker blew up. Never figured out why.

used a walkman when i was 6 yo, mainly listening to the shrek soundtrack album, lol.

>i was 6 yo, mainly listening to the shrek soundtrack album
You clearly didn't choose to end up here. You were destined to.

Cheap Walkmans destroyed half of my cassettes. CD ones skipped too easily. Never used a MD player. Never knew anyone who used MiniDiscs. either.

t. soulless millenial

Both were terrible and did not last very long at all. And the anti-skipping didn't make it that much better.
MP3 is the superior format. This is from a guy who owns an entire room full of CDs and records and tapes.

Walkmans were great. You could assemble two of your favorite albums on an A and B side of a 90s minute tape. The fun would be in making complimentary albums on each side.

>MP3
no flac is superior mp3 is inferior

I don't have noise cancelling headphones so when I'm out and about I don't hear the difference. So if you put that aside then it comes down to how many songs you can pack onto one device. But overall I guess I meant "digital" instead of "MP3", and that's another upside, because you have that ability to choose whether you want smaller files or higher quality files.

>listening to music that isn't being performed live in front of you
Ummm sweetie, no.

The best part is that the music wasn't interrupted with incoming calls. In fact, there was no incoming calls.

had a modern walkman after owning kinetic walkmans it was a glass of fresh water.