Is there a pop artist who founded/influenced more music genres than Bowie?

Is there a pop artist who founded/influenced more music genres than Bowie?

/thread

grimes

it's a close fight...Bowie continued where The Beatles left of

fpbp

the velvet underground

You know damn well the answer is no

damn Ringo is looking cool as fuck here

what's so distinguished about that ringo?

They could pass for the members of a charted accountancy firm in those days, a perfect disguise for what their day job really was.

meant for

eno

Just look at that exquisitely styled moustache

It's funny how you are merging two of the most wave riders of all music
They were always one step behind true innovators but they were smart enough to be early adopters, at least on their early years
You must be knew to music or delusional to believe they "founded" genres, influential? well, yes, Bowie and Beatles were the Justin Bieber or Lady Gagas of their time, of course they were influential

bowie wasn't influential musically at all. even he'd have admitted that - I mean he got a lot of people into music, and certainly aesthetically/stylistically he was influential, but his whole career was just hopping on different musical trends. that's not a bad thing necessarily, he and his collaborators did it very well, but not much of it was original musically

Influential = influencing other people or artists
inventors = creating new sounds
Generally inventors were mediocre, great artists took from them and wrote better music. Influencing the masses rather than 5 other bands
>Bowie and Beatles were the Justin Bieber or Lady Gagas of their time
You say that as if its a bad thing, yes they were pop icons just like Bieber is a pop icon, just like Sinatra or MJ. But Bowie didnt make the same album twice (putting it lightly), like literally every pop icon ever

You are wrong, hopefully with time you'll realize

konnichiwa aniki

>They were always one step behind true innovators
Like who?

>2 genres
Wowie that sure does beat David doing 10-15
I like the Beatles but that's a stretch.

Ok, maybe Bowie didn't invent as much rather marketed (sold) new and interesting genres to the mainstream. He also cited all of his influences which brought spotlight to more obscure artists that would otherwise be forgotten in the history of musice. The Beatles on the other hand were no doubt true inventors as nobody did such thing they did.

>David doing 10-15
Name them

All of them?
Baroque Pop (s/t)
Psychedelic (Space Oddity)
Hard Rock/Metal (TMWSTW)
Glam Rock (Hunky Dory-Aladdin Sane)
Soul (Young Americans)
Funk (Station to Station)
Ambient and Krautrock (Low and "Heroes")
Word Music (Lodger)
New Wave (Scary Monsters)
Reggae influences on Tonight but probably not enough to call it a 'reggae' album.
Industrial (1.OUTSIDE)
Drum and Bass (Earthling)
Jazz (Blackstar)

Other albums are either shit or I couldn't find a concrete genre for them.

>Baroque Pop (s/t)
See Sgt pepper
>Psychedelic (Space Oddity)
See Magical Mystery Tour
>Hard Rock/Metal (TMWSTW)
See White Album
>Soul (Young Americans)
See Rubber Soul
>Ambient and Krautrock (Low and "Heroes")
See Revolution 9
>Word Music (Lodger)
See Within You Wihtout You, Love You Too, etc
>Reggae influences on Tonight but probably not enough to call it a 'reggae' album.
See Obladi Oblada
>Drum and Bass (Earthling)
See Tomorrow Never Knows
>Jazz (Blackstar)
See Honey Pie

>Soul (Young Americans)
>See Rubber Soul
O im laffin

Crop everyone out around lennon and its accurate

See Wait, The Word, Girl, etc

amazing argument

>Jazz (Blackstar)
David Bowie did not found or influence jazz with this album what the fuck are you on about.

>inventors = creating new sounds
You don't think "founded more music genres" fits into this category? Because that's the claim I was responding to

I was talking about genres they did. Those are genres he covered with his discography.

To my knowledge The Beatles primarily did pop-rock and psychedelic and didn't cover much else. I could be wrong, of course.

bowie didn't invent any of those genres lol

These are some pretty fucking big stretches.

Ooops you meant to quote Sorry about that!

I didn't say invent. Those are just genres he covered and/or influenced. More than the Beatles did.

>I could be wrong, of course.
Yeah you are. Have you listened to one Beatles song in your life?

The White Album alone spans like seven or eight genres.

No I'm pretty sure I was right the first time.
Calling Ob La Di reggae and Tomorrow Never Knows fucking Drum and Bass is a stretch.

Rubber Soul is barely Soul. There's one ""metal"" song on White Album at most. Revolution 9 isn't Ambient. It's experimental, sure. But damn well not ambient.

(You) two are stupid, see and

>Have you listened to one Beatles song in your life?
Yes. I listened to plenty. I used to stan The Beatles in middle school.

t. Scaruffi.

Brian Eno, Miles or Herbie (were very popular musicians but I don't know if you'd call them Pop), founded or were influential early adopters of many genres. I don't really know why this thread turned into an argument about David Bowie or The Beatles. They were both very important and influential but neither founded more than a couple genres at most, why are people saying they founded 15+.

Also why are people saying kraftwerk, when they are not a pop band. And if they are included you could throw in Throbbing Gristle, Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms, as well as Schoenberg. Even Quincy Jones, and John Mclaughlin.

>in middle school.
So you were listening to advanced music when you were a child?
No wonder it went over your head
You are stupid. See

How the fuck did I forget about Herbie Hancock?
That man was a god.

both didn't create anything, they only took from other artist that did it better eg velvet underground, krautrock, drum n bass (bowie), 50's rock, 60's pop music (beatles)...

Are the Beatles really 'advanced'?

>Beatles
>advanced
so hows high school going Brent?

whhhhat? Herbie was the third name I wrote?

You guys forget about me?

All these fucking middleschoolers thinking they are the shit because they listen to music made for literal children

This is the true redpill

These contrarian fucks that think quality has negative correlation with popularity

Putting influenced next to founding is whats made this thread so confused. Bowie was the most influential because he brought a lot of lesser known sounds and genres to the mainstream. However he didn't really found anything short of bowie versions of already made genres.

I'll go with Velvet Underground for founding.

You're freaking out man.

Is that Ronald Reagan?

Lou Reed
Brian Eno

this

also definetly not the beatles

The answer will always be The Beatles. People who attempt to deny this are delusional. Especially when they point to bands like The Velvet Underground.
>b-but muh NY underground!
Influencing a grand total of 20 nerds doesn't put you on par with one of (if not) THE most influential bands of all time.

Polite sage for rampant shitposting.

Oh you doon't know music theory. OK

Hello there