Anyone here took a DNA genetic test before to find out ancestry...

Anyone here took a DNA genetic test before to find out ancestry? Which companies did you use and how was your experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

skeptoid.com/blog/2015/08/18/dna-tell-ancestry/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump even though most people here probably think its a conspiracy by the American government to get as much DNA as possible

No, because I'm not some insecure Amerimutt with identity issues obsessed with being "white"

it was allright
i did 23andme, the health reports were more interesting though.

unless you're a heritage fag, the only reason to take these tests is for the health section desu

Sent mine out a month ago, it's still in the DNA extraction phase.

I'm Bulgarian with 1/8th Greek as far as I know, but my skin is pale af and I have slightly asian eyes. I'm curious to see what my ancestry is.

>Which companies did you use and how was your experience?
Congratulations on getting your DNA sequenced. They took your results, deleted your name as you asked them to be private and now your genetic structure is being sold to all companies that want it. Once any kind of a designer virus accidentally slips out of the lab, it'll have been tested on your dna and you'll always be hit by the dna tampering technology hardest.

>people actually pay for these tests

i thought 23andme did not give you health data if you lived outside the us?

it does, or atleast did when i did it about a year ago, also for a few shekels more ran it trough promethease for more medical info

What kind of health report did you get

Thinking about buying a 23andme pack

It's expensive af, tho, I will probably not take it now

What is in the Heath section?

Or you can just go get a normal test at your nearest hospital for less money.
Now you can shitpost about being Greek.

Except for my great grandma being Greek, I have no connection to Greece. I look as Greek as a Nigerian looks like a Korean anyway.

autism diagnosis

Don't do it. DNA can only accurately test for the y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA, meaning that if your father's father's father x100 and your mother's mother's mother x100 are both black, and all your other ancestors are white, it could only accurately say that you are black

>DNA can only accurately test for the y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA

Go for ancestry.com and plug the data into gedmatch

skeptoid.com/blog/2015/08/18/dna-tell-ancestry/

Ennen olin Eemeli
Nykyään neekeri
Fuck vitun eemeli
Mä oon aito neekeri

I don't need to.

I'm Scottish since literally forever.

Aren't the majority of tests autosomal dna tests

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

boils down to
>Ancestry is cultural
>snp mapping is racist

Check US laws and privacy policies of all companies that sequence dna. Then think how capitalism works.

You don't even need to check that. Just google dna privacy and you'll find it immediately.

>Once any kind of a designer virus accidentally slips out of the lab, it'll have been tested on your dna and you'll always be hit by the dna tampering technology hardest.

what..? Someone's going to make a virus out of my DNA, which will only be able to kill me..?

I know, I know. I just wanted to reference Deus ex in a context that entirely fit it.

I wouldn't give my DNA away, even though I would like to see it dissected.

nah memes like 23andme aren't as far as I know
there is another Turkish user who knows about the subject, hope he shows up in the thread and shares some knowledge

parkinson's, alzheimer's, etc. risk
lots of other stuff that's good to know if you have a carrier gene that could fuck up your children

honestly the health stuff is the best reason to have it done

Still waiting on my results, but is there a way to find out if you're prone to mental disorders? Maybe other sites like prometheus have something like it, i'd be interested to know why i'm fucked up mentally

No. When designing viruses they'll work with dna they have laying around in databases and your dna will be there. It's like open source software; your code is out there forever now.
I have no doubts that this is science fiction tier now, but in 50 years I don't want then to have my dna code in their bought sample bases. Sure, they can take it from me anytime, but they won't be going after me when they have their data bases. At least I hope so.

I am a heritage fag, sorry, but the health section would be pretty good to have as well, I guess.

If they have someone close enough to you genetically (from the same country, with a certain ancestor), they'll be able to engineer a virus that would kill you, even if it had a large "blast radius".

That's a bummer, but I'd rather not rush into it myself.

this entire sentence sounded extremely insecure

lol being this paranoid

yeah prometheus gives you info on your risk of various mental disorders
they also link the actual studies the "risks" come from so you can read the lit for yourself

i would say anyone who's vaguely interested in it should spend the 5 bucks or whatever and run prometheus

This is true, no one is going to spend the resources to micro-target one asshole, plus there's no need

The only weird thing is that currently in the U.S. the 4th Amendment laws are sort of catching up when it comes to this stuff, so there have been a couple of cases of law enforcement trying to close murder cases by finding DNA links between relatives and their suspects through these databases

I guess if you're not planning on murder anytime soon, though, you should be ok

Eh, the way genetically engineered viruses are, it's probably somewhat like having nuclear bombs: sure, you can't protect yourself from them, but you can have the power of them.
Template-based poisons/diseases will hurt you, but you can have template-based cures and "buffs". It's probably mixed-race people who won't have access to either template as reliably.

Wouldn't mixed race people have the most protection from such genetically engineered viruses?

I did mine through ancestry a few months ago.

Here were my findings:

Despite being able to trace by ancestry back to the 1500s, with no Irish. The largest percentage of my DNA is from Ireland.

The second largest is Germanic

I have less British DNA than the average British person

I'm 20% Scandanavian

I am >1% Polynesian

Anglo Saxons are technically germanic.. the 20% Scandinavian may just be the result of viking invasions on England from 800s to 1000s. British DNA may be just Celtic and Roman mixture, which would explain why alot of Anglos have dark hair and darker eyes.

If you want to target an ethnic group's DNA, you could program the virus to go off if it detects one component unique to that ethnic group. A mixed-race person might have that, but lack the other genetics for the antivirus to activate.
Or, seeing how scientists and/or the AI that program gene viruses/therapies will be operating with homogeneous sample populations, mixed-race people will be outliers and the viruses could react weirdly to their genes and "go off half-cocked".

MICKED

Alternatively, they're counting Northern Ireland as Irish, and you're from the area which NI settlers came from.

British Celts were different than Irish Celts though (until Irish invaded Scotland).

OI M8 YA BEEN MICK'D

remember to put your raw dna on gedmatch after you get it from 23andme

>bland dna

>ambiguous