Just watched this, can someone explain to me why this is reguarded as an American classic or even a good movie?

Just watched this, can someone explain to me why this is reguarded as an American classic or even a good movie?
tl;dr why do people like this movie?

Stoners

My friend went to Liberal School and he came back and said it was his favorite movie because his professor said so.

It's a masterpiece you fucking pleb.

So because of drugs and hivemind mentality?

>he doesn't know what happens when you find a stranger in the alps

Why tho?

It's a light hearted and funny comedy that doesn't rely on poop jokes and has an interesting plot

it's one of very few movies that gets better with repeated viewings

On account of its excellence.

It's a fun play on the film noir genre. It has a lot of cool characters and a silly plot, and is just plain good looking and well made.

Didn't you see the rug? It really tied the room together, man.

But they open lots of side plots they never close.

This.

Every time I watch it it gets funnier, I don't know why, but it does. By this point I find pretty much every line in the film quotable and hilarious.

because it is a truly funny movie, i dont know man, kinda felt spontaneous

That's because new shit has come to light, man!

Because it's a fun neo-noir movie with interesting, amusing and memorable characters and events, but plebs (you) and contrarians have to dislike it because it's one of those entry-level film buff movies that everybody tells everybody to watch and the lines all became stale memes.

Like what?

If you're a fan of absurdist comedy, the movie is for you. Its not about the big laughs, it's about those little moments or absolute ridiculousness and nonsense logic that the movie is sprinkled that make you enjoy it.

One of my favorite scenes:
>Jackie Treehorn leaves his office but before he leaves he writes a note and takes it with him.
>The dude immediately rushes over to the notepad and in a stroke of genius uses very fine shading to reveal the identions of the previous marking.
>This is an extremely clever plan that it sure to advance the plot in a meaningful way.
>The note ends up being a picture of a guy with a huge erect penis and in no way shape of form matters.
This scene just revels in its absolute absurdity, subverting expectations at nearly every turn. Also the look on The Dude's face as he's processing what's he uncovered is gold.

You have to at least have hair on ya nuts to 'get' this film kiddo. Come back when ya nuts drop little man

Watch it again. You'll either get it or you won't.

Sure, there's a lotta in, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous

Shut the fuck up Donnie.

This was better Thomas Pynchon film than Inherent Vice.

>It's subverting a trope from the 40's so badly that it's actually an unrecocnizable pile of Sh(((Art)))

Seriously, how the fuck do you make the "Film Noir" Conclusion? Some special College degree?

He just said it was a fun play on film noir, no shit there are loose ends and red herrings.

kek that's also my favorite scene

>Seriously, how the fuck do you make the "Film Noir" Conclusion?
By not being 12.

Because it's got a lot of Pynchon influence in it. It's a modern tall tale, like Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyon, but The Dude. Its the american dream of unlimited westward expansion and the taming of the frontier, and what happens to it when it's got nowhere to expand, and nothing to explore except its own absurdity. It's a modern fairy tale.

The Mexican in the blue buggy, the bowling tornament, what ends up happening with Mr Lebowski, who the hell was the weird laughing guy, and many more.

>projecting this hard

Seriously, how the fuck do you not make that connection unless you haven't actually seen many noir films.

I can understand why you may not like it much on your first watch.
This, along with Inherent Vice, are much better on your second viewing, when you already know the story. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it's true with these movies

No, because of masterful writing and direction

>the bowling tornament
They were disqualified because of what Walter did. It's covered in a message left on his answering machine, and I think in the sam elliot epilogue. He was paranoid about someone following him and crashed, it later turned out to be a private eye that was following the dude. Maud's friend is not a plot point. He was just some weird arty farty hanger on of hers, more scenery than anything else.
Try watching the movie fambles.

>the bowling tournament

They would've been fucked in the ass Saturday. They're getting fucked in the ass next Wednesday instead.

So Sup Forums?
Another uneducated Sup Forumstard pleb

>Because it's got a lot of Pynchon influence in it.
THIS
H
I
S

People like it for the same reason people like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
It's not supposed to have deep meaning, it's just weird and fun. Like Alice in Wonderland, but in 90s California.

Your degree isn't as worthless as the movies you watch faggot.

No, Lebowski has far more general substance than le ebin drug adventure

>comfy
>memorable lines
>memorables characters
>subtle humor

i didnt like it at first either, i think it is because you focus on the plot too much on your first watch and the plot kind of goes nowhere and at the end i didnt even know what was important anymore.

kino

Did watch the movie, and how is a private eye following the protagonist not a plotpoint worth explaining or delving into?

What's wrong Cleetus, that "skilled trade" hasn't earned you more than 12 bucks an hour?

If you say so.

8 years old...

You are a retard if that's your read on TBL. so I guess, enjoy the double digit IQ.

They're both fun, absurd comedies with characters you could watch do just about anything. Don't strain your brain so much with deep thoughts of artistic merit.

>le ebin drug adventure
>Missing the point of Thompson that badly

Exactly why it's a bad movie. The repeated viewings are forced because of how absurdly bad it is but you are hypnotised into believing that it is good because

>what happens to it when it's got nowhere to expand, and nothing to explore except its own absurdity.

It's meant to be shallow and I fucking hate it because of that. It's like "I'M ACTING" but "I'M ARTHOUSE"

the dude was the first libcuck

This website is 18+.

The movie is funny, full of memorable quotes, characters and events.

the flying painting girl is the most liberal character we'll proably ever see on camera.

Because it IS. But unfortunately for you, you are a massive cunt who cannot enjoy anything that does not appeal to cunts like you.

>watch movie that tons of other people like
>don't like it
>instead of moving on with my life go onto a bhutanese quilt weaving symposium to tell other people why they're opinions are wrong

It's one of the few movies I've dropped cause it was boring as fuck. I don't think I even chuckled once. Maybe a few smirks.

I should probably watch it again but at this point I have no desire to.

>someone doesn't agree with my completely subjective opinion
>they must be wrong and dumb!
I'm ready for Christmas Breakers to go back to school.

You found it boring because you didn't understand what you were watching.

This film is a great retard filter.

I pray you die of aids and cancer at the same fucking time you wanker.

This movie is evil and meant for happy retards.

Hopefully you're not under the impression of what thos thread is about, I didn't say it was bad I just want to know why people like it.

>White Privilage
>Work

Pick one shitskin

i like the small things like in the begginning sadamm on television and then on his dream, the man on tv saying "this agression will not stand" and dude repeating it to the sheriff

>nihilistic
>massive Pynchon influence.
>meant for happy retards
kek what film did you watch fucking imbecile

He says it to the big Lebowski too
>THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE

>worth explaining or delving into?
They DID explain it, in that scene. He's working for the Canootsens.
Who the fuck are the canootsens? Bunny's parents who were looking for her.

>kek
>i-it's not for happy retards

But that's it? It's kind of a letdown.

very easy to watch, can be read from many different levels and since it's made by the coens we can assume most of the interpretations were intended. the casting and acting is top notch, well put together soundtrack, cinematography also great, entertaining plot. very quotable.

4u

>DUDE RANDOM DICK LMAO
that sounds fucking retarded

it's about playing the tropes of the movie industry and the expectations of the audience, and it makes sense within the setting.

>autism

Many such cases

>its not supposed to be taken srsly
>but its layered and deep
I just can't.

itt:OP absolutely btfo

>getting triggered by post modernism.

Did Walter and Dude even like Donny?

It would be a letdown if the point of the movie is who was in the blue beetle... but it wasn't. It was just a payoff to a red herring set up a scene or two before.

>liking your friends
What are you, 12?

just because something is layered and deep doesn't mean it can't have moments that are funny.

>muh coen bros can do no wrong
>mad cause I didn't like your reddit certified movie
Kys. There's a fine line between being pretentious and being shit.

they liked him like you do a little brother. their banter was, in most cases, as thoughtless and hurtful as the average sibling banter. the dude is like the oldest brother, the cool one in the eyes of donny, the one who's in college and drops by occasionally and isn't as close to donny. walter is like the jock brother in high school who abuses donny a lot but at the end of the day values the brotherhood and helps him out whenever he can. it's much like the "only we can bully him" dynamic.

It was garbage. A fucking lame ass meme movie extraordinaire. Only ham fisted retards can even say this is a good movie.

If that's your level of discourse I can see how you couldn't understand the film. It's a post modernist masterpiece.

Uh huh. I bet you think Napoleon Dynamite is a "postmodernist masterpiece" too.

>what is a shaggy dog story
Jesus christ.

The film is a very loose adaptation of Raymond Chandler's 'The Big Sleep'. Chandler's narratives are famous for becoming exceptionally convoluted and dense but by the end none of the intricacies even matter and are almost wholly discarded.

The genius idea of taking the noir framework and pasting it onto a neo-Californian backdrop with these slacker characters who speak with a distinct fowl-mouthed eloquence, has never been paralleled and never will. It is unique, fresh and endlessly funny.

How can you not see why this film is a masterpiece?

DOOOOONNNNIIIIIIEEEEEEE

Chandler mate. Not Pynchon. The Coen's have never at any point said Pynchon had an influence on 'The Big Lebowski'.

>How can you not see why this film is a masterpiece?
Quite simple. His literature and film IQ is that of an Sup Forums poster and his actual IQ is that of a nigger.

t. "an" Sup Forums poster

>dude's landlord

literally Sup Forums the character

It's a homage of the classic detective noir serials set in the 90's and choosing a less than suitable protagonist.

It seems as though the majority of people arguing in this thread (on both sides) aren't really making any valid points. They all seem just as dumb as each other.

An argument is going to go anywhere if you're default response is "No that's wrong, you said that because -insert generic Sup Forums insult-, i'm right because -vaguely relevant reference to literature or other film by Coens"

>The Coen's have never at any point said Pynchon had an influence on 'The Big Lebowski'.
I don't need them to say it user, its stylistically and structurally very similar to Crying of Lot 49, and Inherent Vice that drawing parallels and allusions between them isn't entirely unfounded. Both are weird, meandering, and hallucinogenic romps of absurdity through the seedy underbelly of LA that kind of unravels a conspiracy, or maybe not.
And the coen's are reasonably intelligent literate guys, so there's no fucking way that it wasn't on the radar at all.

>funny
>interesting plot

are you sure you are referring to the pile of shit big lebowski is? surely you must have been thinking of another movie

Because tasteless reddit sensibilities and IQlet syndrome

you sound like a fucking retard, so I'm not surprised that you didn't enjoy the movie.