Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree Rogue One is far superior film to the nostalgia cluster fuck that was The Force Awakens?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

They're both shit m8

put episode 3 and 1 each one rung lower and id agree

I think both are equally bad.

TFA was really forgettable,

but having seen Rouge One, how can people defend this shit?

The opening was really weak and scattered, too many characters die before they develop a personality I can care about, the 'inspirational speech' scene seemed to come out of nowhere despite Erso being a really subdued character, the presence of the quip droid, Vader making a pun and the action became dull by the end.

Both are 5/10

I don't understand how anyone didn't enjoy Rogue One.

I enjoyed it, but it didnt exactly blow me away. It was okay, but I didn't even feel like seeing it more than once, which I usually do with SW movies.

Would say 7.5/10

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy Rogue One.

Characters have no depth.
There is no character development.
Action scenes are soulless.
Movie has no conclusion because Episode 4 has to happen.
Movie relies on you having knowledge of the entire OT despite being supposed to be standalone.

Yes. Disregard naysayers... they don't count, because I said so.

I don't understand how someone can enjoy any Star Wars but not enjoy Rogue One.

this

Mike pls.

I do agree, yes.

But then 1 would be below TFA, which isn't right.

>I don't understand how anyone didn't enjoy Rogue One.

You see what board you are on?

lol fuck me.
Could someone PLEASE level a criticism that isn't the generic "the characters were shallow!" that is leveled at literally every god damn movie?
I mean i assume you hated the fuck out of the original trilogy too, then.

And you're COMPLAINING that rogue one brought us almost up to the MINUTE of the original trilogy?

>Movie relies on you having knowledge of the entire OT

>implying everyone and their mother hasn't already seen those films

>Characters have no depth.
The characters might not have had some intricate arc, but I was definitely bummed when most of them died, even the robot.

>There is no character development.
Their role was to accomplish transmitting the Death Star plans, they sacrificed everything to achieve that. You grow attached to the characters through their sacrifice and actions, not dialogue.

>Action scenes are soulless.
Felt some feels when the Samoan homie fought to the death to avenge his buddy.

>Movie has no conclusion because Episode 4 has to happen.
The movie concluded as Erso and Cassian transmitted the Death Star plans and watched their impending death.

>Movie relies on you having knowledge of the entire OT despite being supposed to be standalone.
You do not have to know the ENTIRE OT to understand this movie. The cast is almost entirely new characters. Having watched the OT would probably make this movie enjoyable though.

>Now that the dust has settled
it hasn't

>superior
yes

>far superior
nah

This film was incredibly easy on the eyes. I enjoyed it as a romp in Star Wars land.

>It really felt like a genuine Star Wars movie

>I loved the dark tone and brutal climax

Pick one, you fucking mongs

>I loved the dark tone and brutal climax

Uhhh

>i have never seen empire

>Star wars isn't a kids movie you idiot!
>shut up guys it's just a kids film after all!
the mental gymnastics from you cunts is insufferable

The entire premise of the franchise is war and the deaths of millions to billions of people. The hell are you talking about?

The hammerhead cruiser scene didn't make sense. If it could push a Star Destroyer to do tear another Star Destroyer in half then it should have had engines powerful enough to destroy the Star Destroyer outright.

to be fair the star destroyer had been disabled by a barrage of ion torpedoes so it was literally just a hunk of space debree at that point

and space is a vacuum so if you apply force to something it tends to just float away

>The hammerhead cruiser scene didn't make sense. If it could push a Star Destroyer to do tear another Star Destroyer in half then it should have had engines powerful enough to destroy the Star Destroyer outright.

Why didn't they use a tractor beam to push it towards the shield?

No, it's not that it could push the Star Destroyer, it's that it could tear the Star Destroyer like butter.

Why is Rebels there twice?

What are you talking about?

Have tractor beams ever been shown in the films to push?

I'm gonna be seeing this in a couple of hours.

What am I in for?

The only difference is that I'd say TFA was 4/10, and R1 was 5/10.

I enjoyed it because I had the context of the other Star Wars films. My date did not because he had no idea the significance of them getting the data was

Someone should cut Rogue One and ANH together into one 4 hour long film.

You could probably just straight tack them on one after another, but if might be cool to move some of Lukes earlier scenes into Rogue One.

>What am I in for?

A good film.

first non-shit star wars movie in decades.

objects at rest tend to stay at rest, objects in motion tend to stay in motion

it made enough sense in the context of the situation

t. einstein

1) the star destroyer was disabled. It was just drifting metal. Why wouldn't the hammerhead cruiser be able to push it?
2) Maybe a hammerhead cruiser kamikazeing into a star destroyer WOULD destroy it

a good friend.

No it doesn't. The force of the Hammerhead on the Star Destroyer would be equal to the force of the star destroyer on the other one.

It would be like saying you aren't strong enough to push a car, but then you push a shopping cart into the car and the car fucking flies off.

>what is inertia...

fun and a bunny

user...

literally you

youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA

>Action scenes are soulless.
Ah yes, unlike the Original Trilogy where all the action scenes were amazing!

kek. Fanboys are delusional. Rogue One is literally the only Star Wars movie that was good.

Without an additional external force, the force on the first Star Destroyer from the Hammerhead is the exact same as the force on the second Star Destroyer.

you mean the increasing force of a star destroyer crashing into something? A wee bit different from a shopping cart don't ya think?

I enjoyed watching it. But the more I think about it the less good it seems.

At a fundamental level, this is an installment of a story, we already know the ending. So it can't really be plot-driven, because we already know how it turns out. But it's not character-driven, either. The dialogue is pretty basic, the character arcs are absent.

Take that scene after Galen dies, where Jyn is like "You were going to kill my father" and Cassian said "But I didn't, I defied my orders and didn't kill him". Where did that go? It was never brought up again, not in dialogue or thematically, and it absolutely should have been. We're told that Cassian has been a loyal agent of the Rebellion for years, why would he not kill Galen? Because he inexplicably loves Jyn, even though she's repeatedly said she doesn't give a shit about the Rebellion he's dedicated his life to?

There's other stuff too, like how Krennic shoots Galen's wife and drives his daughter into hiding but then gave him enough free rein to design in a fundamental design flaw, or how Galen managed to sneak out a holographic message with Bodie but for some reason couldn't just give Bodie the plans, but that's petty stuff, stuff that could be easily enough explained away if they bothered.

The movie was atmospheric and looked nice enough, but there just isn't much to it otherwise. It's not even entertaining enough to be a heist movie.

If I am incapable of pushing a car, then I am also incapable of pushing a shopping cart and having that push the car.

I think I understand if you hate gloom, or you specifically hate gloom in the star wars universe it doesn't work for you, but for me it is fine and I enjoyed it immensely.

It's implied he didn't kill him because he's a fucking pussy and not a killer. Not because he loves Jyn.

you're an idiot and to try explaining anything to you further would make me the idiot

>it can't really be plot-driven, because we already know how it turns out
Eh, not really. The journey can be as equally interesting as the destination.

in centures at least

The first thing we see him do is kill his informant

He couldn't give Bodi the plans because

1) He didn't have access to everything. Only the parts he made, which wouldn't have included info about the defenses.

and

2) Krennic knows whenever he accesses and downloads a file. It would have looked suspect for him to download and copy a large number of old, completed plans.

I actually went to watch it unlike most of people on Sup Forums

First half is 6/10
Second half is 8/10

So 7/10 is accurate.

Also I like this guy.

hey that's my post

>We're told that Cassian has been a loyal agent of the Rebellion for years, why would he not kill Galen?
Because suddenly a comrade(Gyn) has a relationship with the target.

It's easier to kill a stranger than your new buddies papa.

I was waiting the entire movie that Bodie would go insane, since they stated out loud that the mind reading alien causes insanity.
But nope, just a slight "pssst, you are the pilot right" and he snaps out of it with zero issues.

I'd pay to watch a TV series that just revolved around the Empire doing Empire business between episode 3 and 4. All the scenes with the Empire were great.

Sure, but you have to make it interesting with intriguing characters and an involving story Rogue one features bland characters following a pretty linear route through the film. I'm not trying to saying that not being plot driven is a bad thing but if you can't rely on plot to maintain tension and interest you have to work harder to do so in other ways and they just didn't.

>action became dull by the end.
desu it wasn;t. Plus seeing Donnie walking to the station was a great scene

that's also what I thought just as I left the cinema, are you me?

a film from the perspective of the empire as the good guys would be fantastic, like they bring peace to some aluh akbar fucking barbarian planet and the rebels 'liberate' them and make it a thousand times worse

Yeah, this bugged me too. He goes from being a catatonic wreck to being a perfectly competent member of the team in literally 0 time.

No. RO was fucking shit.

Imagine RO without the handful of good action scenes it had. It would be irredeemable garbage.

If the action scenes are RO's only saving grace, it's a shit movie.

never watched the original trilogy and I had no problem following the movie

maybe you're just slow

I just sort of have a thing for these aesthetics. Rogue one really spoke to me about how the Empire could be seen as the good guys. If I was in the star wars universe at this time I'd probably join the Empire. Peace, unity, stability.

Heck Episode VII proved that everything would be better had the rebels lost the battle for Yavin IV.

Rebels winning is the BAD ending - the galaxy falls into chaos...

Tfa was shit
Rogue one was shit
Star Wars is shit

There, fuck off.

I've only seen it once so far but I could've sworn Forrest Whitaker said too much exposure to that alien can cause insanity.
I'd have to rewatch it.

You're a dumb fuck

Adding on, it should be noted that Galen was an sympathizer with the rebellion. Cassian was beginning to take this into consideration, and thus ultimately decided not to assassinate Galen. Cassian's interest in Jyn was a catalyst for his decision.

He did. And it did. But then it stopped. Because ? .

Oh you are just one of those empire bootlicker

I thought TFA was mediocre but I do not understand how people thought RO was better.

I'm actually dumb founded. Yes it had some great fan service moments, but that doesn't make it a good movie.

voted democrat I see

I'd rather live in the empire than in the shitty rebelsphere

The Prequels were better than both of them.

It wasn't too much for him? Duh

>I thought RO was mediocre but I do not understand how people thought TFA was better.

>I'm actually dumb founded. Yes it had some great fan service moments, but that doesn't make it a good movie.

I'm assuming Forrest stopped it before Bodie was rendered completely useless? Because that kind of shit is a fear tactic?
I'm sorry the writers didn't spell out everything for you

>I would rather live as a slave than die as a free

Now when the dust has settled can you fuck off to reddit?

That's just personal opinion.
I found the characters to be quite memorable and cool. The characters weren't developed much, but they were developed enough through little actions.
I cared more for the Rogue One characters than I ever did when I watched Luke and his butt buddies in the original trilogy.

But Bodie WAS insane. Briefly. And in the space of a single conversation became sane again.

>its less popular so I have to like it

this board is so fucking bad

>what are temporary side effects

>It's an objectively better movie than the massive disappointment that was The Force Awakens and was a relatively enjoyable Star Wars movie, so I like it

Fixed.

No

RO actually makes me appreciate TFA.

At least TFA had SOME attempt at character development and writing.

Lets get specific then.

What turned Jyn from the character who just watched her father be killed by the rebellion after a lifetime of imprisonment by the Empire, someone who was a loner for as long as she could remember and was completely betrayed by the one organization that forced her to cooperate with others into the character who's a starry eyed, dyed in the wool Rebel who gives an impassioned speech about good vs evil and the need to act against impossible odds?

Most of these are valid complaints except for the last one. It's was always meant to be a Star Wars prequel, and it's not like you need to know anything outside of general pop culture knowledge like what the force is.

>Blind
>Can Dodge laser bolts, take down a squad of stormtroopers with a stick
>Walks to station
>HURR DURR IM BLIND WHERES THE GIANT LEVER

>Forrest Whitaker OVERACTING ALL HIS LINES ("COME... MY... CHILD...")
>le asian blind monk of wisdom
>diverse cast of characters for the sake of... diversity, still no aliens in the main group
>le quippy robot
>remember blue milk?
>remember the two aliens of Episode IV that bump into Luke?
>remember rebel in the overlook tower in Yavin IV?
>remember rebel in the overlook tower in Yavin IV again?
>Tarkin CGI
>Leia CGI
>"Don't choke on your aspirations" *force choke*
>by the way, that hole in the Death Star was there for a reason all along!!!!

Turn your brain off, bro.

>Season 1: Young college student is anti-war hippie. Excels at school, and generally dislikes the empire. Then one day extremists rebels like Forest Whitaker bomb his academy killing many of his friends and teachers. He enlists in the Imperial army and is sent to officer school. He makes new officer pals and season concludes with him graduating after taking control during a learning operation gone bad and destroying a rebel hideout full of terrorists

Season 2: Now a Junior officer serving aboard Star Destroyer captained by a ruthless admiral. Even though the rebels do fucked up shit, he admiral often goes too far in retaliation. Plot line is the protag trying to undermine the admiral and take his place since he things he could do a better job

Season 3: Now head of a star destroyer fleet, the protag suffers many failures where rebel terrorists are able to kill many civilians. Has to go increasingly drastic measures to stop them. Finally concludes in him cornering the group that bombed his original academy in season 1, and he orders a massive surface bombardment to kill them with much collateral damage.

oh man these nitpicks.

Jeez, I don't know, maybe the fact that she loved her father and she was following his steps after he died in her arms?
Hm, maybe!

>someone who was a loner for as long as she could remember
Since she was 16 maybe

And you can easily make the audience like the stormtroopers by making them take off their helmets sometimes. But yes, the series would have to revolve around someone starting in some role involving star destroyers/imperial fleet

To be fair it's not like he was matrix-dodging the laser bolts, the Force was deflecting the shots from him