Star Trek: Space Whales

Star Trek: Space Whales

I think I may be retarded but this may be my favorite Star Trek film. There are probably a multitude of reasons why Wrath of Khan is better but for some reason this is still my favorite.

Your thoughts, Sup Forums?

I unironically enjoy it

it's lighthearted fun
nothing to hate here, move along

But where the hell is Alameda?

based trek

It's fantastic, my favorite as well OP

As long it isn't five you can be forgiven for claiming any one of the original movies as your favorite. Because fuck making Scotty the bumbling comic relief.

Though five did give us the great line "What does god need with a starship"

It was the biggest mainstream success they ever had.

I just kinda feel that the whole stolen bird-of-prey was somewhat of a wasted potential.They did fuck-all with it in both movies they were in it's possesion

NUCLEAR
WESSELS

V also has the Planet of Galactic Peace wihch was pretty great. Shame it had to go so herp-a-derp later on.

Starfleet is too peaceful, they should have asked this badass motherfucker (who also did nothing wrong) what to do with it

V was great early on, if you exclude the 80 year old woman doing a fan dance, everything up until they reach the great barrier is fine

4 was cheesy
5 was let down by poor effects

did you watch it on netflix too?

Its the most normie movie of the series. Not that I hate it, but its clear to see why people loved it so much

>set in current day
>topical humor
>24th century reacts to 20th century
>save the environment
>dude wessels lmao

VI>II>I=IV>III>V

VI is in a class of its own though, the absolutely best 2 hours of Trek we will ever get.

I agree, it was comfy watching this as a kid. Also it really made me think, you could tell it was supposed to be a modern hip retelling of Star Trek, yet the 80s are now further from 2017 than the 60s was from the 80s.

Are you sure, you won't change your mind?

Is there something wrong with the one I have?

remember when seven beat moana

>it's a hyper sexualized latex-fetish Kes episode

going dark side can bring out something from even the most boring characters

sadness

normie or not, it's the best

Voyage Home is the only Trek film I can watch over and over again

watching this right now. great episode. klingons have great writing in it.

>It was a bomb.

Kahn, tmp, undiscovered country, and whale trek are the best ones

I also like IV very much OP.

The theme of the Whale, and specifically of Moby Dick, runs through all of the best Star Trek movies. The successful intent is specifically to reach out to and invoke the best in the American imagination.

>the central premise of the world is that starships explore the galaxy, sometimes fight and destroying one another as needed, or otherwise carrying on peaceable business. Starships have captains, officers, crews, quarters, hulls, and camaraderie. If you should somehow fall off the ship, then you will surely die in very short order, exposed to the elements.
II: >Khan is trapped for years, his crew are picked off by the elements and fauna, all that he can do is to read a few classics, including Moby Dick, over and over again, and sulk, pondering his White Whale (Kirk)
IV: >this time it's a jaunt through America. This time, then-present-day Earth (1980s San Francisco), in search of humpback whales
VIII: >Now it's Picard's turn to wax Ahabian, with his Whale being the Borg.

It is interesting to read the historical understanding of whales, relative to the release of these films. The whole "save the whales" meme got rolling with 1970s environmentalism, helped along by a best-selling nature record, /Songs of the Humpback Whale/. Notice that IV's whales are themselves humpbacks, and that it is specifically their song which saves the earth.

So we have two turns with the metaphor of the whale as it has been understood in America. It is an object upon which to take revenge, or else a precious part of nature which literally saves us, at the writer's convenience.

6 is the most overrated Star Trek movie and the ultimate pleb detector.

Just watched them all last night. Wrath and Voyage are the best of the bunch. I always love when star trek characters are thrust into different periods from Earth.

VI was easily the best possible way to send off Kirk and the TOS crew, why did Generations gave to fucking shit all over it? Yeah Scotty and Spock showed up in TNG but they were pretty respectful of those characters.

>why did Generations gave to fucking shit all over it?
Studio was afraid to allow TNG to carry a movie on their own.

It's Shatner's fault in the end, he should have refused like Nemoy did (though then Nemoy went and sold out to JJ).

I think Shatner has regretted it for years, he even wrote a novel where Kirk resurrected

Now you understand what oldfags have known for, welp, generations : Even Number Good, Odd Number Bad.

Oh man, that book was complete fan-fiction tier crap.

And then he wrote about 7 sequels.

Well, "wrote".

my favorite as well

> it's a scotty fixes the engine episode

>it's a Spock did a little too much L.D.S episode

TMP?

Ohh, don't think I don't know who you are.

Please do post it.

Dukat + Bird-of-Prey + Agitated but Sexually Frustrated Kira = ???!!!!..!!!??@?@?@?@?

>dude wessels lmoa

Для тeбя

She looks exactly like Robert Smith of Le Geur

Why is it that Wesley Crusher's character decides to show back up to the TNG movie "franchise" all the way in Nemesis and then it's deleted?

His character actually isn't all that bad when you consider he was supposed to represent Gene as a child.

Journey's End was one of the worst episodes in the series.

>5 ranked above 1 and 6
I understand film is subjective but I don't see how anyone could unironically think 5 isn't the worst Trek film. It's a total mess.

6>2>4>3>5>1

i just saw the one where data dates the retarded needy girl and i almost cried out of anger at how bad it was. only 11:59 was worse.

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

Daily Reminder that you have the wrong filename, you fraud.

So Gene was an autistic mary sue bullshit child with no friends? I believe it.

Wasn't that Patrick Stewart's favorite?

Remember in Star Trek IV where the crew goes back in time to rescue your fucking mom from Sea World OP?

OOCH

>Even Number Good, Odd Number Bad.

That rule died when Nemesis came out. Unless you count Galaxy Quest.