What's the evolution of "oh I'm a sad teenager and I listen to The Smiths"?

What's the evolution of "oh I'm a sad teenager and I listen to The Smiths"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=slA7-CMD2Bo
youtu.be/XG4yU3IIPdc
youtu.be/ObMaFgNSdbg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

“oh I’m an ironic funny teenager that understands sarcasm and I listen to The Smiths”

"oh I'm a sad adult and I listen to The Smiths"

oh i'm a sad teenager and i listen to linkin park

“oh I’m a girl and I listen to The Smiths”

I'm a sad young adult and I listen to Red House Painters.

people still listen to the smiths
theres no bands that have been a good smiths-clone
maybe the drums on some albums

Morissy was the proto hipster. Morrissy was the proto emo kid.

Look at this video, the scenes where he is walking around, he has those glasses and the side cut.
This was in the early 80's?

Hipsters in the 2010's barely started dressing like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=slA7-CMD2Bo

Everything about him screams insufferable hipster shit. But he was the original.

he is the alpha beta

delet this

Fucking this. Marrs guitar playing can't be copied easily and is the main reason I listen to the band

look, i'm not trying to coming off as anything by saying this, but I got into the smiths long after they broke up, and long before they got popular again. By the time they just started being mentioned as cool in the late 00's i had moved on. They're a unique band with a unique sound that nobody has really been able to emulate, and i have a lot of fond memories listening to them when I was a teenager because there was nobody else who was listening to them at the time, so it wasn't played out and trite. I still listen to them occasionally.

tl;dr: the smiths are a band like many other bands, and you can listen to them at any point in your life without having to be seen as part of a clique or scene

OP here l, I appreciate the responses but I'm not sure you all get what I mean.

I like The Smiths but I feel like I'm too miserable for them to be relatable, and need something else. I feel like I'm reaching that stage in life where you just lay in bed listening to harsh noise and crying

>As frontman of the Smiths, Morrissey subverted many of the norms that were associated with pop and rock music.[130] The band's aesthetic simplicity was a reaction to the excess personified by the New Romantics,[131] and while Morrissey adopted an androgynous appearance like the New Romantics or earlier glam rockers, his was far more subtle and understated.[132] According to one commentator, "he was bookish; he wore NHS spectacles and a hearing aid on stage; he was celibate. Worst of all, he was sincere", with his music being "so intoxicatingly melancholic, so dangerously thoughtful, so seductively funny that it lured its listeners... into a relationship with him and his music instead of the world."[133] In an academic paper on the band, Julian Stringer characterised the Smiths as "one of Britain's most overtly political groups",[134] while in his study of their work, Andrew Warns termed them "this most anti-capitalist of bands"

Jesus get some help user

Thank you user but nothing is working. I'm waiting for some counselling service but it's taking forever, which is a long time when just getting through each day is difficult

came here to post this

"Oh I understand music now and I listen to Beefheart and Mingus"

But Zappa > Beefheart

"I'm an adult patrician and I listen to solo Morrissey"

Solo Morrissey is shit

you realise modern hipsters are literally just trying to look like the only iconic figures they know from the 80s because "everything fromthe 80s is good !!!!"

either Robert Smith or Morrissey, there's no other hipster fashion.

This is what I listened to when I started to find anything generally perceived as listenable trite and too overwrought to connect to whatever I was feeling

youtu.be/XG4yU3IIPdc

youtu.be/ObMaFgNSdbg

I got into the Smiths afterwards once I wanted to become normal tho

I'm a sad gay and think Morrissey is hot