David lynch

hello everyone, first time posting here. So, I just watched my two first david lynch's movies. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. My question is: am I supposed to understand something? Because I did not. I mean I get he is awesome in so many levels, but I got lost in the plot. Is there a single story or it is as abstract as I took it?

Other urls found in this thread:

yts.ag/movie/lost-highway-1997
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you just pretend like you know whats happening

cool, so I just move on to twin peaks like nothing happened. perfect.

l2g

Mulholland Drive:

>An early interpretation of the film uses dream analysis to explain that the first part is a dream of the real Diane Selwyn, who has cast her dream-self as the innocent and hopeful "Betty Elms", reconstructing her history and persona into something like an old Hollywood film.
>In the dream, Betty is successful, charming, and lives the fantasy life of a soon-to-be-famous actress.
>The last one-fifth of the film presents Diane's real life, in which she has failed both personally and professionally.
>She arranges for Camilla, an ex-lover, to be killed, and unable to cope with the guilt, re-imagines her as the dependent, pliable amnesiac Rita.
>Clues to her inevitable demise, however, continue to appear throughout her dream.

Lost Highway:

>Philosopher Slavoj Žižek interprets the film's bipartite structure as exploiting "the opposition of two horrors: the phantasmatic horror of the nightmarish noir universe of perverse sex, betrayal, and murder, and the (perhaps much more unsettling) despair of our drab, alienated daily life of impotence and distrust."

>not starting with Eraserhead

how did you watch lost highway? it's not on amazon prime and I haven't been able to find a torrent of it, either. I've been meaning to watch it.

thanks dude! I had got already most of that! You make me feel a genious

sorry

thought I wouldn't handle it

yts.ag/movie/lost-highway-1997
this worked fine for me

look at his stupid fucking hair. Look at it. Why does he style it like that? is he overcompensating? Is he trying to distract the audience from his shit films?

Lost Highway doesn't hold much of anything interesting. Watch Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, and Fire Walk with Me.

I think Lynch said something along the lines of his movies being like music. You never have to ask yourself what it means on a literal level, but you recognize the motifs and get lost in the atmosphere and it creates and feel the emotional impact from that.

Most of his movies are complete bullshit. He's throws a bunch of unresolved shit against the wall and hipster reddit faggots pretend whatever they perceive to have stuck was an act of mastery. They pretend to like his movies so that other people think they're intelligent.

>david lynch
>plot

Eraserhead is more coherent than either of those and way better

DUDE IDEALIZED HOLLYWOOD FANTASY OF INTRIGUE, CONSPIRACY, GLAMOR AND ROMANCE VS THE HARSH REALITY OF MEDIOCRITY, HEARTBREAK AND REGRET LMAO

mulholland drive isnt even hard to follow. why is this meme so prevalent?

>He's throws a bunch of unresolved shit against the wall
I think he has openly admitted this. It's still to better than directors that intentionally hamfist symbolism into their works.
I personally don't enjoy his films, but I don't think it's fair to say that everyone who does is a pretentious a-hole pretending to understand them.

because the movie doesn't actually make sense and people have to jump through hoops to pretend that it does

>t. braindead pleb

I liked mulholland drive, but fell asleep during lost highway. im kind of hesitant about the twin peaks reboot desu

t. plebier pleb
The movie is open to many interpretations. If you think there's only one you are probably autistic.

I honestly have not seen a single movie that has made me feel the way Mulholland Drive did.

To me, that makes it one of the greatest films ever made.

>hello everyone, first time posting here.
Make it your last time, pal.

no wait i fell asleep during inland empire. that movie was fucking trash, not lost highway

open to many interpretations != doesnt actually make sense

He said it isn't hard to follow when their is literally a non-sensical plot.

You should always watch a film twice friend, especially stuff like Lynch's.

watch eraserhead, it's his best.

>I'm jealous because my hairline is shit and I'm balding at my 20s