The fuck? This was a boring, plotless mess. Why is it so praised around here?

The fuck? This was a boring, plotless mess. Why is it so praised around here?

It was a beautiful plotless mess.

i know right where was the dance competition, rent deadline or doomsday device

Why did he love fucking sand so much?

PSH is a vastly under appreciated actor

was

Definitely not plotless. There's a lot going on. Both lost individuals looking for meaning, but at very different positions in this cult. There's a lot going on and a lot to think about. Plus the movie looks great.

Admitedly I don't like it as much as his others (TWBB, Magnolia, Inherent Vice) because it seems to be lacking that signature PTA filmmaking that just pulls scenes from one to the next. It's interesting, but not exciting.

Delete this

Nice strawman, but a car chase wouldn't have hurt it.

>caption-order PHOE HOFF ADAMS
>picture-order ADAMS PHOE HOFF
why are they always doing this ree

This reaction image is my favorite

Because of billing order.
Main character is in the center of the actors to draw attention, and they are listed first in name order.

Basically because they want their dicks to feel big because people look at the center of people first and the beginning of text first.

I enjoyed it, but then I REALLY enjoyed it after watching a documentary about scientology and learning more about L. Ron Hubbard

The problem with the Master is that Anderson originally intended it to be a travelogue film about an ex-sailor who travels America in the 50s meeting colorful folks. Including an LR Hubbard stand-in, who he spends a brief time working as a violent thug for before moving on to his next town.

Anderson couldn't get the film he wanted made greenlighted while his friends bugged and wore him down, telling him he should cut everything BUT the Scientology segment of the script and just do that.

But because Scientology has a huge fucking foothole in Hollywood, Anderson had to fucking neuter his take on the cult and L Ron to get the film made with minimum controversy.

This.

The Master was supposed to be a film about Joaquin Phoenix being an ex-GI traveling America and generally being disconnected from the post-War boom culture and constantly getting into fights and shit because of PTSD from fighting in the Pacific.

It was supposed to be multiple segments with one involving Phoenix's character getting involved in a Scientology cult.

source on any of this?

his ass

didnt care much for the movie but phoenix was totally robbed for not getting the oscar that year

At very least the plot is about a cult leader trying to brainwash a guy so wild he couldn't be brainwashed, and being corrupted by his "wilderness" himself in turn. That's the conflict at face value, each character trying to be the master of the other one, PSH on purpose and JP unconciously.

It's a literal 10/10 movie, watch it again and you'll find a different movie altogether

I thought all the paint thinner cocktails were funny.

Is that really a thing?

> PTA
He made Inherent Vice, which was Pseud shit. Admittedly, adapted from a book so I can't blame him too much.

Also made Three Will be Blood, which is great.

What did I think of him Sup Forums?

TWBB is an adaptation too. Very different and the movie is way better though

You love him because he's the best "actors" director alive, he gets the best perfomances out of everyone he works with, and also he has a gorgeous altough unoriginal cinematography

PTA is best working director, prove me wrong

This movie is great if you know the backstory of LRH going in. The depictions are great, and the portrayal of an exploitation cult are haunting.

Visually it's great, but slow.

If you already know the answer to your question then why ask pig fuck?

>OP's pic related

Maybe plotless is the wrong word, but it's a movie with no structure, it feels like a loose collection of scenes that could be arranged in almost any order (minus the final scene) and the viewer would understand just as much either way. There is a 'plot', stuff is going on both on the surface and what we don't see, but while ot feels at the start like a movie that will follow a narrative, it drops that very quickly (more or less after Phoenix meets Hoffman) and turns into 'how will Phoenix react next to stuff happening around him that he seems to have no control or interest in?'

Some will say that's good, that's the point (in relation to the 'master' of the title), but for me it just felt like a half-finished script for a better more engaging movie