Andrei Tarkovski

I'll start

Probably the least interesting CCCP director. You could just watch Bresson, Bergman & Rosselini instead of watching Andrei mimick them..

Who are the best Russian directors in your opinion?

Not trying to cause a stir, but I'd be interested.

Didn't he turn out to be a paedo? I think there was something on the Solaris commentary about it

Medvedkin, Eisenstein, Kalatozov, Parajanov are my favorite Soviet filmmakers of all time. I can't say I like any of Andrei's films on a personal level.

Not trying to tip a fedora either. Just something you don't hear often (people not liking him).

That's fair, I was genuinely curious.

I grew up speaking Russian and have been trying to brush off the cobwebs and watching some new movies would a great help.

Any titles by those guys that really stuck out with you that you'd recommend?

Andrei was /our guy/

Happiness from Medvedkin.

Everything by Eisenstein but I suppose Strike and Potemkin are the most well known. Everything by Kalatozov but especially Soy Cuba, Cranes are Flying and Letters Never Sent are the most famous Parajanov, Color of Pomegranates & Shadows of forgotten ancestors are amazing both.

uh pls

> Dr Burton I'm Solaris

>"DUDE RANDOM B&W SCENES LMAO"
What did Andrei mean by this?

/OUR GUY/

I tried watching the Murrican version with Clooney a few years back but I got bored like halfway through and stopped watching.

Is the original any better?

She was gorgeous, but holy shit, what an annoying character.
I guess that was the point, though.

>did he actually die not knowing he was a hack?

this line always gets me

>tfw no ghost Soviet gf

existentialist Christian-obscurantist misogyny is the best kind

If you got bored watching the Hollywood adaptation don't even consider watching the original.

Hmm

Hmm?

Hmm!

Bravo Tarks!

I have no problems with boring movies though as long as they are not shit like the Murrican remake

the tarkosvky version is not the original but is much slower and last twice as long the 2002 version, dont even bother

What kino?

i want this quote on my gravestone

The Return(2003)